PDA

View Full Version : Apple's latest TV ads in focus

MacBytes
May 15, 2006, 10:50 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Apple's latest TV ads in focus (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060515115025)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Atlasland
May 15, 2006, 11:15 AM
"To make it this simple - not to see any hardware or software - is amazing. The feeling, I guess, is everyone who wants to see a Mac can go to an Apple Store and see one. I'm not sure that's the right approach, but I do think that given what the iPod has accomplished, making people aware of Apple, this will stir people in an unconscious way."

I wonder how many people here agree with that?

j_maddison
May 15, 2006, 11:50 AM
I kind of agree with it. I don't think its relevant to show the OS working. Selling is more concerned with the allieviation of risk and the allignment of wants with a persons needs. It has nothing to do with showing someone how slick and pretty an OS looks on a TV screen.

Jay

p0intblank
May 15, 2006, 11:54 AM
"To make it this simple - not to see any hardware or software - is amazing. The feeling, I guess, is everyone who wants to see a Mac can go to an Apple Store and see one. I'm not sure that's the right approach, but I do think that given what the iPod has accomplished, making people aware of Apple, this will stir people in an unconscious way."

I wonder how many people here agree with that?

I guess I never really lookd at it that way. These commercials could have viewers wanting more.

iGary
May 15, 2006, 11:55 AM
I personally thought one of the best ads Apple ever did in its history was the iMac G4 in the window - "Making Faces."

Pure. Advertising. Genius.

wordmunger
May 15, 2006, 12:01 PM
I really like these new ads. They're the only ads we stop for on the TiVo. We'll fast forward through everything else and then stop for these ads. I don't think you need to see the computers working -- the metaphor says it all.

steve_hill4
May 15, 2006, 12:04 PM
One of my favourites was the two guys spending a lot of time configuring a PC, supposingly for printing and networking. Lots of talk of settings and such. In walks a woman, (one of their wives or a secretary), and asks what they are doing, they reply trying to make their systems more productive, she exclaims, "Still? It's been two days now". Apple logo.

Maybe not exactly right, but as I remember it.

KREX725
May 15, 2006, 12:06 PM
Personally I don't like Apple doing the old "make Windows look stupid" routine again. I know there are people who love to see a company really stick it to the competition with ads like these, but I'm more from the camp that prefers a more creative approach to lure in people (like the iPod/iTMS ads, the G4 iMac "faces" ad, etc.).

I just think ads like these only harden the the Mac vs. Windows lines and makes the PC people get defensive. I realize the target audience are those who probably don't really care about Windows vs. Mac, but so far I haven't heard anyone really being drawn in by them either.

Just my .02.

4God
May 15, 2006, 12:39 PM
IMO, there are some good and bad points. Not sure about trashing windows so directly, but I like the relatablilty of the age groups.
This is a great example of reaching out to the most influential generation of our time.

iGary
May 15, 2006, 12:40 PM
I hear "just something for my slow jams" one more time....:rolleyes:

4God
May 15, 2006, 12:43 PM
I do think, however, that I like the "Restart" one the best. :D

Seasought
May 15, 2006, 12:51 PM
I enjoyed the ads for the most part, but I can see how a pro "Windows PC" user might get irritated by them.

I think Apple can ensure that they cover all spectrums of tastes by having the additional commercial:

"I'm a Mac."

"And I'm a PC."

<pause, both look at one another>

<both tackle one another, punching and kicking>

<cut to "Get a Mac" screen>

Ok, so my tastes are still rather juvenile. Maybe someone will spoof this for me.

MacsRgr8
May 15, 2006, 03:16 PM
I find the ads amusing, but do they really work?
Just like the iMac G4 "face" add, it was very cute, but I assume most could-be switchers don't receive any message from it: "yay!... a cool-looking fancy computer..." That's it.

The people I have switched all had to actually see what a Mac can do.
"Is there Word and Excel?"
"Can I plug in my digital camera?"
"Will my printer work?

Once you answered yes to the questions above, they drop their guard and start to get interested. Now you show iLife etc.

IMHO the general public has te be informed.

Atlasland
May 15, 2006, 03:32 PM
"I'm a Mac."

"And I'm a PC."

<pause, both look at one another>

<both tackle one another, punching and kicking>

<cut to "Get a Mac" screen>

lmao!

Boggle
May 15, 2006, 03:50 PM
What I found surprising about the experts' comments, is that they never acknowledged the fact that one of the main aims of this campaign was to have the young hip crowd identify w/ the Mac persona & to get older people to not WANT to be seen as the PC persona of Hodgman & his "slow jams." Instead they commented on why they personally didn't ID w/ the Mac persona, & why they liked the stodgy PC antics of Hodgman. That's great to know, execpt that TV ads aren't designed to influence the purchases of Advertising industry experts. I thought they were for those of us who aren't spending 65 hrs a week studying consumer psychology.

Or maybe I'm totally off. That's always a possibility.

nagromme
May 15, 2006, 04:17 PM
I have opinions on these ads. Some positive, some not.

But I, and 99% of people who bother DISCUSSING ads in an online forum, are SO far from the people Apple is trying to reach with the ads, that I really don't know how relevant my opinions are :o

I hope they work well for the masses of people who use Windows for NO better reason than "just because." That' a lot of people.

Seasought
May 15, 2006, 06:03 PM
"Will my printer work?

Once you answered yes to the questions above, they drop their guard and start to get interested. Now you show iLife etc.

Do you think a commercial in this format would work (showing off OS X while answering common questions like the ones you listed above)? Do you think Apple is too concerned with maintaing some sort of image at the expense of bringing in more switchers? From my standpoint I like to see the OS (as do most of the other users on this board I'm sure), but more casual users might not see it that way. Also, I'm pretty new to Macs (and their commercials) so if this has been attempted in the past I missed them.

Just curious.

j_maddison
May 15, 2006, 06:11 PM
I have opinions on these ads. Some positive, some not.

But I, and 99% of people who bother DISCUSSING ads in an online forum, are SO far from the people Apple is trying to reach with the ads, that I really don't know how relevant my opinions are :o

I hope they work well for the masses of people who use Windows for NO better reason than "just because." That' a lot of people.

Probably the most refreshing post I've seen on the subject.

steve_hill4
May 15, 2006, 06:16 PM
I have had no response for my ad suggestions from Apple. I hope they pick them up though, they were so positive, no backbiting what-so-ever.

JtheLemur
May 15, 2006, 08:47 PM
Oh god, I'm dumber for having read that article. What the hell is with Stevenson constantly dropping John Hodgman's name. In EVERY single comment. Christ, commentary at it's worst. I can just see a snooty smile develop across his face every time he mentions Hodgman. "I didn't like them demeaning John Hodgman!" "I really like John Hodgman!" "My emotional attachment is to John Hodgman!"

Shut the **** up, admit you're gay and marry the guy. Just don't drag your obsession for the world to see. I can't believe how much that article drove me nuts. What could possibly inspire someone in "news" to write/talk like that?

"Seth Stevenson writes Slate Magazine's Ad Report Card"

Ohhhhhh, Slate. That explains everything.

jackc
May 15, 2006, 09:02 PM
Pretty dumb comments by Stevenson, on the other hand I could see why you might be annoyed with the "hip" Mac guy on the commercial.

sakasune
May 16, 2006, 08:33 AM
at first I thought Apple was being immature and attacking windows in this way...but then I realized that they aren't attacking Windows, they're highlighting the things about the Mac that most people probably don't know (it runs office, not prone to viruses, it speaks with that hot japanese uhh...camera). And they never say 'Windows' they just say PC. PC means Personal Computer (or at least it used to) and that could mean Windows, Linux, BeOS (technically a Mac too...) - and most off the commercials are focused on the short comings of the top PC operating system (although it could be pretty tough to use that new digital camera in BeOS)

tk421
May 16, 2006, 09:34 AM
I find the ads amusing, but do they really work?
Just like the iMac G4 "face" add, it was very cute, but I assume most could-be switchers don't receive any message from it: "yay!... a cool-looking fancy computer..." That's it.

"Will my printer work?

I thought that was one of the goals of these new commercials. They go out of their way to say that Macs run Office and that digital cameras work well.

This is a great example of reaching out to the most influential generation of our time.

Isn't every generation the most influential generation of their own time? :D

solvs
May 16, 2006, 11:51 PM
Bingo. They aren't for us. I don't know how well they're going to work, but Apple is already gaining, and they couldn't hurt. Doesn't really matter what we think.