Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SweetJess

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2006
Howdy everyone. I need help "burning" my iTunes music onto a flash drive. I am selling my mac mini and getting an iMac and don't want to waste $$$$ worth of music that I've purchased. Would love any help at all. Thank you in advance. :confused:

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
By default, iTunes keeps all of it's files in ~/Music/iTunes (the ~ denotes your user's home folder). Just drag that folder to your flash drive (assuming it will fit).

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Assuming you haven't changed the location of your music, you should be able to get away with simply copying the Music folder from your home directory onto your flash drive...

SweetJess

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2006
reh said:
By default, iTunes keeps all of it's files in ~/Music/iTunes (the ~ denotes your user's home folder). Just drag that folder to your flash drive (assuming it will fit).
::::::: Sounds easy enough... Another question since size was mentioned... I have a 1GB flash drive and 3GB music... Is it easy to split it up? Also, is it this easy to import from flash drive to new iMac?

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
SweetJess said:
::::::: Sounds easy enough... Another question since size was mentioned... I have a 1GB flash drive and 3GB music... Is it easy to split it up? Also, is it this easy to import from flash drive to new iMac?
Just keep track of what you've dragged over each time. Provided you put all the files back in the same place on the new Mac, you won't have to do any importing. iTunes will start up just like on your old Mac with all your music and playlists. It's important that you copy all files in that Music folder and reassemble them in the same place on the new Mac though.

backupdrummer

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2004
Chi town
I assume you are selling the mini before you get the iMac. If not then all you need to do is use the "Mac moving" software and your new iMac will boot up exactly like the mini.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
backupdrummer said:
I assume you are selling the mini before you get the iMac. If not then all you need to do is use the "Mac moving" software and your new iMac will boot up exactly like the mini.

That would be called the Migration Assistant ;) :)

Seriously SweetJess, you may want to consider acquiring a DVD burner or external HDD to back this all up...

SweetJess

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2006
reh said:
Just keep track of what you've dragged over each time. Provided you put all the files back in the same place on the new Mac, you won't have to do any importing. iTunes will start up just like on your old Mac with all your music and playlists. It's important that you copy all files in that Music folder and reassemble them in the same place on the new Mac though.

:::::::::: Many many thanks for the advise. Us newbies really really appreciate the pros like you. ~Jess

SweetJess

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2006
backupdrummer said:

:::::::::: Many many thanks for the advise. As I said to "reh", us newbies really really appreciate the pros like you. ~Jess

SweetJess

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2006
kingjr3 said:
That would be called the Migration Assistant ;) :)

Seriously SweetJess, you may want to consider acquiring a DVD burner or external HDD to back this all up...

:::::::::: Many many thanks for the advise. As I said to "reh" and "backupdrummer", us newbies really really appreciate the pros like you. ~Jess

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
funkychunkz said:
WAIT A SEC!!!

You need to copy your shared foldr aswell, this contains information (invisible) needed to access songs bought thru itunes!
It's probably not vital. I've deleted that folder a few times.

funkychunkz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
kingjr3 said:
Not vital...As you can always authorize again.

But what is vital:

DEAUTHORIZE iTunes before you ship a sold computer!

Oh, Ok.
I've always wondered what would happen if you deleted that file. I always thought that it would lock you out itunes (or something crazy) if you tried to re-authorize multiple times. :rolleyes:

So much for third hand info.....appearantly it said to do this in macaddict

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.