sunfast
May 15, 2006, 12:23 PM
I think it may be....

Symptoms:

Takes AGES to browse and start playing a track
HDD makes lots of loud clicking / whirring noises
Sometimes skips tracks
Sometimes stops playing mid track and hangs
Behaves intermittently when connected to my iMac.

B*GGER!

Qianlong
May 15, 2006, 12:45 PM
or it could be too full. you can't fill all the space on your comp or ipod HD!

reformat the ipod and leave at least 300 mb open and see if the problems come back.

sunfast
May 15, 2006, 02:27 PM
or it could be too full. you can't fill all the space on your comp or ipod HD!

reformat the ipod and leave at least 300 mb open and see if the problems come back.

There's just over 8 gig free so I guess that's not it :(

ReanimationLP
May 15, 2006, 02:35 PM
There's just over 8 gig free so I guess that's not it :(

Thats the hard disk going "******* you pal"

sunfast
May 16, 2006, 03:51 AM
Thats the hard disk going "******* you pal"

You might be right there. Well, its 2 years old and used for several hours daily so I guess that's why. It's still sort of usable so I'll wait until the next iPod refresh before I get a new one.

virividox
May 16, 2006, 04:56 AM
try hard resetting, and use disk utility to check if there are any problems with the drive.

although by the sound of clicking you here, it would seem to fail soon. mine failed after 3 years as well

sunfast
May 16, 2006, 05:26 AM
try hard resetting, and use disk utility to check if there are any problems with the drive.

although by the sound of clicking you here, it would seem to fail soon. mine failed after 3 years as well

Thanks for that - will give it a go. Most times I plug it in now the iPod comes up with an icon that looks like a disc with a magnifying glass on it and a status bar that takes ages to complete.

sunfast
May 30, 2006, 03:32 AM
Well, it seems it was dying.

It kept refusing to update - sticking on transferring 1 of X songs to iPod. So I

* verified disk using disk utility (said no problems - so I couldn't do a repair)

* restored it using the latest iPod updater

iTunes now tries for a bit to get music on it before saying it couldn't read or write to disk. I'm guessing there's nothing I can do for the old girl now? :(

Scarlet Fever
May 30, 2006, 05:39 AM
my 3G ipod was clicking before it died.

I hate to say it, but i think you should start thanking it for the many years of happiness it has brought to you, and how you may replace it, but never forget it....

Sugi
May 31, 2006, 12:49 PM
Today, my 3G ipod had a folder and exclamation point icon. HD clicks, sounds like it's trying, but no luck. I've restarted and still nothing.

Has anyone received their response to the battery settlement? I just got mine in the mail a few days ago and was curious if anyone has sent theirs back for a new battery or if apple will send you a new refurb or something. It costs $29 shipping and I don't know if I should try and see what apple will do. thoughts?

Any advice on how to fix my ipod. I'm having a hard time letting go.

fcarea
Jun 6, 2006, 07:47 PM
My iPods always seem to do that before they croke.