PDA

View Full Version : PS3 UK stuff

Dagless
May 15, 2006, 03:02 PM
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=64756

Following the announcement that Sony plans to launch two versions of the PlayStation 3, confusion is growing over whether UK consumers will have the option to purchase either model.

Both 20GB and 60GB versions are set to go on sale this November, priced at €499 / 599 respectively. UK retailer Gamestation is already taking pre-orders for the 60GB model, which it has priced at £424.99 - but there's no option to order the lower spec version.

Speaking to our sister site GamesIndustry.biz today, a Gamestation customer services representative from said: "It's our understanding that the 20GB version won't be released in the UK - at least not at the same time as the 60GB one."

Advertisement

A customer services representative from GAME told a slightly different story, stating: "I believe we'll be offering both."

Ok all I've been hearing is $$$'s for the past week or so. So here we are. £££'s for the brits. And 429 of them.

Do Sony plan on selling in the UK? £429 is a lot.
thats $791.33 in funny money.

Abulia
May 15, 2006, 03:07 PM
But it has BluRay!!!! :D

So it's worth *every* penny!

2nyRiggz
May 15, 2006, 03:08 PM
Don't knock it until you try it man.....besides funny money grows on trees.

Bless

eva01
May 15, 2006, 03:11 PM

for some people bluray seems to be the only reason they have left to get it. or at least that is the only reason they boast about it.

corywoolf
May 15, 2006, 03:14 PM

Did you say Beta Max? :p

Dagless
May 15, 2006, 03:15 PM
Don't knock it until you try it man.....besides funny money grows on trees.

Bless

You can bet a lot of personal belongings that at £429/$791 I will not be touching the only *real* version of the PS3.
Sony are making a huge mistake.

Infact you really could buy a 360 and a Wii (if its £150) and still have £30 left over, a game for either system. I dunno. this really is mental. Especially considering the very low number of HDTVs in England. Rendering BluRay a pointless accessory for a long long time. ESPECIALLY with Sky HD being the only HD source available, which still isn't out yet and costing too much (MRU has mentioned this before). I don't know the exact cost but it really is insane. £300/£500 for the receiver and a hugely overpriced service cost on top. no go. sorry.

Doomed. utterly doomed.

2nyRiggz
May 15, 2006, 03:22 PM
Sony is going to make a *beep* load of money.....

Bless

Abulia
May 15, 2006, 03:23 PM
To be fair, Sony has plenty of time to fix this by November.

Dagless
May 15, 2006, 03:27 PM
Short of handing out free HDTV's and forcing the BBC to broadcast OTA HDTV, I wouldn't think so. Unless the PS3 price drops a lot.
Funny, with the reaction of the US PS3 price everyone was all :eek: but at the UK one, which is a good lot more nobody is bothered. hmmm.

Sony have lost the UK. Just watch. few will pay 430 for a games machine that's getting the bad press it has in England. we're a small country. word of mouth matters a lot. and these internet bits about no rumble (my lecturer was p**sed at that), loss of 3 useable controllers and the whole Ubisoft and Hideo jumping ship thing has taken it's toll. Just watch, really.

MacRumorUser
May 15, 2006, 03:49 PM
Yeah I'd already suspected that it wotld be 425-429 UK. That means at least 620 in Ireland, cos our prices are in Euro but based on Sterling :( :(

That 620 Sony isn't getting.

Spanky Deluxe
May 15, 2006, 04:17 PM
I can't believe a games system can cost that much!! You could put together a pretty highly specced PC for that kind of money if you know what you're doing!!

Before, I was tempted by the idea of getting a PS3 because after a year or so it could turn out to be a very cheap way of getting a Bluray player, that was the only thing I would ever have wanted one for. For that money they can take their Bluray and shove it up their ***es.

BlizzardBomb
May 15, 2006, 04:18 PM
Short of handing out free HDTV's and forcing the BBC to broadcast OTA HDTV, I wouldn't think so. Unless the PS3 price drops a lot.
Funny, with the reaction of the US PS3 price everyone was all :eek: but at the UK one, which is a good lot more nobody is bothered. hmmm.

Sony have lost the UK. Just watch. few will pay £430 for a games machine that's getting the bad press it has in England. we're a small country. word of mouth matters a lot. and these internet bits about no rumble (my lecturer was p**sed at that), loss of 3 useable controllers and the whole Ubisoft and Hideo jumping ship thing has taken it's toll. Just watch, really.

I wouldn't go to the extremes of saying Sony have lost the UK, but Sony are pushing their luck with this machine. When Sony revealed everything at E3, people went "Oh.", Nintendo revealed only key bits of info and people went "Ooooh!". I really think it's a great machine, but I see Sony slipping to 3rd in this generation.

greatdevourer
May 15, 2006, 04:34 PM
One more thing that makes me doubt whether SCE will still exist in 2010

Dagless
May 15, 2006, 05:00 PM
I can't believe a games system can cost that much!! You could put together a pretty highly specced PC for that kind of money if you know what you're doing!!

Before, I was tempted by the idea of getting a PS3 because after a year or so it could turn out to be a very cheap way of getting a Bluray player, that was the only thing I would ever have wanted one for. For that money they can take their Bluray and shove it up their ***es.

Aye if you spend 100 on each component for the PC then you're sorted. Plus you can either add 100-500 for the monitor in place of the HDTV (so lets say 250 for the 2005FPW) and you're saving a bundle. I don't recall this happening before, a console that actually costs more than a PC counterpart. Unless you're using an SDTV, making BluRay and HDMI-output irrelevant so you could go for the core option.

PS3-430
20" HDTV- 500
= 930

Geforce 6600- 100
2gb Ram- 100
any random 100 CPU and motherboard at 100 (Intel)
250gb HDD- 100
2005FPW- 250
Decent keyboard & mouse- 25
= 775

Spanky Deluxe
May 15, 2006, 05:23 PM
Aye if you spend 100 on each component for the PC then you're sorted. Plus you can either add 100-500 for the monitor in place of the HDTV (so lets say 250 for the 2005FPW) and you're saving a bundle. I don't recall this happening before, a console that actually costs more than a PC counterpart. Unless you're using an SDTV, making BluRay and HDMI-output irrelevant so you could go for the core option.

PS3-430
20" HDTV- 500
= 930

Geforce 6600- 100
2gb Ram- 100
any random 100 CPU and motherboard at 100 (Intel)
250gb HDD- 100
2005FPW- 250
Decent keyboard & mouse- 25
= 775

Indeed, absolutely crazy. Especially since Toms Hardware did an article on getting a 4Ghz Dual Core P4 for 79.99 with basic overclocking. Fair enough that as of right now the graphics card in there won't be able to compete with the PS2/s performance but firstly, this is now. The graphics market will look rather different in Q4. My 6800GTs are only worth about 110 each on ebay these days and they cost way more than than only about 9 months ago! Come Summer '07 and if the P3 is still holding at those prices then a PC will not only be cheaper but probably have even *better* graphics!!