Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kyle

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
There are a few other posts on this forum that you have seen from me which lead up to this event. They are described here.

It all started last night with the 10.2.4 update. At least, I think it did. I downloaded the update with software update and it was fine until I turned it on the next day (today) and it took 20 minutes to get to log in. I logged in and before I could open any programs, computer usage was at 100%. I posted on the forum, asking how to downgrade to 10.2.3 and got a few responces all of which I followed. One stated that third party apps "haxies" could be why my computer is being screwy and that I should delete them and redownload the update or something to that effect. I had 3 haxies (in the topic I said 2 but I found one more.) Those are as follows: Cee Pee You, CandyBar, & Aquamon. I deleted Aquamon and Cee Pee You, reinstalled the update. The computer restarted itself and was working fine for a brief amount of time.

Computer turned itself off. I turned it back on and this is where it commited suicide. After log in, while OS X was loading, I started to hear a very funny sound. Imagine scraping your car keys against a chalk board. This sound was coming from my computer, where my hard drive is located. I freaked out because I could not turn off the computer (OS X had frozen) so I held down the button which I dread doing.

I am afraid to turn it back on. What is wrong with my poor, poor computer? :(

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Oh Jesus.

I think your hard drive might have failed.

From the sounds you are describing, what happened to you is similar to what occured to my iMac almost one year ago.

The hard drive is probably dead, all data gone.

The GUI freezes right? And when you turn it on, it makes a grinding sound, right?

Take it to an Apple certified shop and get it checked out as soon as you can.

Just curious, did you play a lot of mp3s of your iBook?

Kyle

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
I have or I guess had now, over 1 gig. But recently I stopped listening because iTunes kept sucking up computer usage.

Why?

SoonToGetAMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2003
California
Originally posted by Kyle
I have or I guess had now, over 1 gig. But recently I stopped listening because iTunes kept sucking up computer usage.

Why?

yeah, if mp3s are the problem, i am in trouble since i have 6GBs+ of mp3s (every last one is legal, btw)

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
Originally posted by Kyle

Why?

Have you turned it back on yet?
If not, more than likely you have a bad hard drive
When was the last time you defraged it?
Turn it back on before you take it to the Apple Store!!
Mp3’s are not the problem…I have over 20 Gigs on my TiBook and I have never had a problem!!

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
however, the continious playing of mp3s proved to be the downfall of my hard drive.

i never turned my computer off and only put it to sleep occasionally.

if you played mp3s 24/7 with no break, the amount of wear on your hard drive might be greater than normal. at least thats what the guy at the apple store told me.

from your descriptions of the issue, i would say that your hard drive might have failed. i would recommend taking to any computer store that services macs (frys, compusa) and have it checked out asap.

and what ever you do, dont try to turn it back on again until a techie has looked at it.

Kyle

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
yes i did turn it back on. well i myself didnt but to make a long story short it was turned back on and other than the software issue it was fine. hard drive was normally quiet. i changed the start up disc to os 9 and computer has been working fine since. i am going to reload os x sometime this weekend. thanks.

Kyle

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Originally posted by hitman

i never turned my computer off and only put it to sleep occasionally.

if you played mp3s 24/7 with no break, the amount of wear on your hard drive might be greater than normal. at least thats what the guy at the apple store told me.

i hear never turning computers off and only sleeping is bad for them. maybe that had something to do with it.

and i used the computer to play mp3s at least one a day but definatly not 24/7. id say at the MOST about 4 hours a day.

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
I never turn my Ti off!!
When I was in Tokyo for three months, I played iTunes all day all most everyday, and I have never had a problem!!
But I would not suggest doing this!!

Kyle

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
When I sleep my iBook, I can hear it making the little click sounds every so often so I know it's doing something. I like to turn it off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.