PDA

View Full Version : iLife 06 Updates Available

MacRumors
May 15, 2006, 04:03 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Now available via Software Update for current users of iLife '06:
iDVD Update - 6.0.2
This update to iDVD addresses issues with burning some 16:9 projects and improves overall stability.

iWeb Update - 1.1
This update to iWeb adds comment and search support for blogs and podcasts published to .Mac. It also addresses a variety of usability and performance issues for all users, including image management fixes to improve site load performance.

iPhoto Update - 6.0.3
This update to iPhoto addresses issues with Photocasting of Smart Albums, sharing iPhoto libraries, and creating calendars and books. It also addresses a number of other minor issues.

iMovie HD Update - 6.0.2
This update to iMovie HD 6 addresses issues with PAL audio and displaying iLife Sound Effects automatically in its iLife Media Browser. It also improves overall stability and address a number of other minor issues.

Spanky Deluxe
May 15, 2006, 04:10 PM
I haven't noticed any issues with any of those programs. I'm a bit wary about running software update after the last time though - messed up my whole system.

sunfast
May 15, 2006, 04:13 PM
The iWeb update is 95.3 MB for me. Isn't that rather a lot?

Over Achiever
Ah good, the improving image optimization in iWeb, hopefully this will decrease file sizes a bit.

MacBoobsPro
I haven't noticed any issues with any of those programs. I'm a bit wary about running software update after the last time though - messed up my whole system.

I always rush in head first when it comes to software update :D never had a bad experience in 6 years. Apart from the noisy fan debacle from 10.4.3 :rolleyes:

appleguy
May 15, 2006, 04:17 PM
Comments on blogs would be cool
I would like to see the ability for people to have pools on their site with iweb

nagromme
May 15, 2006, 04:18 PM
So did iDVD gain support for new optical drive models not found in any currently shipping Macs? :)

dr_lha
May 15, 2006, 04:20 PM
Hey, they added a "don't show this message again" checkbox to the .Mac bug screen at the start of iWeb. That's a 100% improvement in my book.

~Shard~
May 15, 2006, 04:20 PM
Nice one, I'll be d/ling this when I get home from work! I was planning on making up some wedding albums using iPhoto in the next couple of weeks as well, so now I know it will be running in tip-top shape. ;) :)

MacBoobsPro
May 15, 2006, 04:22 PM
WOOHOO DUPLICATE PAGE IN IWEB!

Oh and new themes!

Doctor Q
May 15, 2006, 04:23 PM
I hope they've also fixed some bugs-not-worth-mentioning, since iPhoto tends to crash now and then when I'm using it, particularly when I'm adding/renaming albums or moving groups of photos among albums.

aricher
May 15, 2006, 04:25 PM

Oh and new themes!

Nice. Downloading now. I hope this decreases my load times. Wondering if it will optimize all the old stuff or only new uploads.

MattG
May 15, 2006, 04:29 PM
Wow...I just started using iWeb the other day, and I'm interested to see what sort of updates 93mb brings.

Bradley W
May 15, 2006, 04:32 PM
_

LastLine
May 15, 2006, 04:40 PM
Blog comments, :D:D:D:D:D:D:D YAY!

MacBoobsPro
May 15, 2006, 04:43 PM

Can someone confirm if the comments only work with a .mac account :confused:

LastLine
May 15, 2006, 04:49 PM
That's what it says so I'd assume it's the case - doesn't bother me to be honest as I use .mac anyway.

aricher
May 15, 2006, 04:51 PM
SWEET - I'm re-uploading my iWeb site and...

- On the first run it asks you if you want to republish ALL to optimize it. Nice.
- It now lets you also publish pages with ONLY changes. This will save quite a bit of publishing time.
- It does an initial upload and then lets you keep working while it finishes the upload in the background. It has an Apple Mail-like countdown indicator next to the site name.
- It now has 18 themed templates
- New blank templates that let you design whatever layout you want while maintaining the original theme.
- You can now enter entire photo albums instantly (from iPhoto/iWeb Media Browser)
- User comments, password protection, user attachments and search function on Blogs now.

dr_lha
May 15, 2006, 04:52 PM
I think comments would be very server dependant, so it would be hard to Apple to implement them in a way that is guaranteed to work on all ISPs.

eme jota ce
May 15, 2006, 04:56 PM

Oh and new themes!

Really? That's great!

rog
May 15, 2006, 04:58 PM
I am trying to develop a totally different site for my work, but I can't find any way to make it a separate file. Instead it shows up as a different site listed along with my other personal sites & pages. This means that any time I change it, it taked forever to re-publish since it does so with my other pages. Does the new version fix this? How about making text actual text instead of images? My pages look nice, but take forever to load and their content is unsearchable!

eme jota ce
May 15, 2006, 05:01 PM
I am trying to develop a totally different site for my work, but I can't find any way to make it a separate file. Instead it shows up as a different site listed along with my other personal sites & pages. This means that any time I change it, it taked forever to re-publish since it does so with my other pages. Does the new version fix this? How about making text actual text instead of images? My pages look nice, but take forever to load and their content is unsearchable!

Did you see this program?
http://mistergregg.com/cocoadrillosoftware/iWebSites/iWebSites%20Home.html

aricher
May 15, 2006, 05:01 PM
My site is done re-uploading. Load times don't seem all that much faster and the "thumbnail images" on my front pages haven't been reduced in size at all. Hmmm? I'll have to wait and test this at home - leaving work in 2 min. Anybody want to check load times on my site? URL is in my signature.

Luveno
May 15, 2006, 05:12 PM
I think comments would be very server dependant, so it would be hard to Apple to implement them in a way that is guaranteed to work on all ISPs.

Actually, if apple were being generous to users, and they made use of some fancy javascript/ajax nonsense, they could build blog commenting into all sites, but I really don't anticipate them donating storage space or any cpu to hosting free blog comment databases.

However, a man can dream...

AvSRoCkCO1067
May 15, 2006, 05:12 PM
Here is a brief example of a new theme and new Blog features (Click on the 'blog' link for Spotlight and Comment integration)

http://web.mac.com/c.peters06/iWeb/Site/Home.html

Feel free to post comments in the Blog. For those of you who are curious, you can delete the comments over the internet OR within iWeb. Additionally, you can have attachments up to 5 MB within the comments (those can also be deleted within iWeb or on the internet).

Post any questions here or my blog. Check back often, as I'll be updating the website quite frequently over the coming weeks. Thanks! :)

EricNau
May 15, 2006, 05:17 PM
I hope the iDVD update fixed the problem I had with 16:9 themes. All the widescreen themes would be played fullscreen and get the edges cut off.

I hope the iWeb update fixes some IE handling problems.

I love updates! It's just like Christmas! :D

cyberddot
May 15, 2006, 05:19 PM
Yea! Although the lacking in some areas of iLife has lead me to use, and get proficient with other apps to get the job done right the first time. Still, it'll be nice to see if iWeb has had enough done to it to encourage my significant other to give editing a try.

AvSRoCkCO1067
May 15, 2006, 05:25 PM
Just a heads up

When someone posts comments to your iWeb website, the iWeb application pops up with a red circle with the number of comments on it (exactly like Mail or iChat works).

The integration is getting a lot better - it publishes ONLY the updates to your website, rather than republishing the entire website.

Itaka
May 15, 2006, 05:31 PM
Mnnn does this software update today mean a macbook+ipod announcement this week?

Dreams are for free ;)

IEatApples
May 15, 2006, 05:43 PM
Yes!!! I love updates :)
And thanks to eme jota ce for the link (http://mistergregg.com/cocoadrillosoftware/iWebSites/iWebSites%20Home.html)

LastLine
May 15, 2006, 05:45 PM
Here is a brief example of a new theme and new Blog features (Click on the 'blog' link for Spotlight and Comment integration)

http://web.mac.com/c.peters06/iWeb/Site/Home.html

Feel free to post comments in the Blog. For those of you who are curious, you can delete the comments over the internet OR within iWeb. Additionally, you can have attachments up to 5 MB within the comments (those can also be deleted within iWeb or on the internet).

Post any questions here or my blog. Check back often, as I'll be updating the website quite frequently over the coming weeks. Thanks! :)
I've done the same over at the band's site at www.nofears.co.uk - I can't wait to see how well this works (or doesn't) take a look and let me know - it's currently on the news and gigs section (blogs) and on the Songs section (podcast setup)

Have to say I advise everyone does a full upload at some point after the update - really does make the difference.

EDIT: I'm just gonna nip and upload a search function too :)
EDIT: AGAIN: Background publishing...smooth. Whereas before publishing got in the way of working I can now work and publish at once!
EDIT: THE THIRD: My upload didn't work so I'll post again when it has done.

Bern
May 15, 2006, 05:46 PM
Blog comments is exactly what I need for my site. I was trying to get a Mac Group going for this purpose only.

I knew Apple would listen to it's customers.

JZ Wire
May 15, 2006, 05:57 PM
Oh thank god! Its worth upgrading for the comments alone. They listened on the support forums and they delivered. Thanks Apple!!! :D

tismfu
May 15, 2006, 06:22 PM
Great update.

In the future I would love to see some sort of basic, web-based interface for the blogging aspect of iWeb. I usually travel without my computer and it would be nice to update a blog on any computer connected to the Internet.

Pistol Pete
May 15, 2006, 06:27 PM
i cant wait for iweb 2 to and all of its upgrades...now i just have something else to drool over...

fradac
May 15, 2006, 06:31 PM
i was so excited about ability to leave comments in iweb. but then found out, that is only available if you publish to .mac

well that sucks.

steve_hill4
May 15, 2006, 06:32 PM
Nice one, I'll be d/ling this when I get home from work! I was planning on making up some wedding albums using iPhoto in the next couple of weeks as well, so now I know it will be running in tip-top shape. ;) :)
Not noticed any issues, but updating anyway. I have to say though I often don't use the affected apps/features, so probably why I didn't notice.

Like the new colour by the way Shard. No other reason to quote you.

kugino
May 15, 2006, 06:43 PM
a bit off-topic, but i've been pessimistic about new MBs being announced tomorrow or this week...but with the slew of updates over the last few days, both to ilife and to QT last week, i'm thinking that some new products will become available this week. in the past new products have been preceded by software updates...

appleguy
May 15, 2006, 06:45 PM
a bit off-topic, but i've been pessimistic about new MBs being announced tomorrow or this week...but with the slew of updates over the last few days, both to ilife and to QT last week, i'm thinking that some new products will become available this week. in the past new products have been preceded by software updates...

Mostly likely to happen with the media event with the opening with the new NY store

PharmD
May 15, 2006, 06:48 PM
Sweet! People can make comments on my blog now. That has been the biggest gripe from my family.

BWhaler
May 15, 2006, 06:58 PM
The iWeb update is 95.3 MB for me. Isn't that rather a lot?

Yes, it's a serious update.

But I think it's much needed for iWeb. Don't get me wrong, iWeb is a fantastic 1.0 program, but it did have some nasty bugs, key missing features, and a few design problems.

I love iWeb and I really hope this fixes the bugs I had to painfully work around...

BWhaler
May 15, 2006, 07:05 PM
All in all, a great update.

iLife is really maturing into a fantastic suite. I am glad it is so critical to Apple and they are spending so many resources on it. It really is an empowering this to be creative with the computer again. <Stares suspiciously at MSOffice>

I am really looking forward to iLife07.

AND APPLE...If you are out there...please put the same investment and passion in iWork. There is a huge market out there where people want a "creative" Office. More than Appleworks, less than Adobe products, kinda of a "Final Cut Express" But iWork is not there yet. Put in the missing features, fix the nasty bugs, and sales will boom. MSOffice sucks, and the huge SMB market will jump on board...

Mac Fly (film)
May 15, 2006, 07:09 PM
iWeb wont publish for me after update. I never had this problem before...

http://static.flickr.com/53/147197066_42cc246573_o.png

cbrantly
May 15, 2006, 07:17 PM
You can add comments to non-.Mac hosted sites using iComment (http://web.mac.com/cbrantly/iWeb/Software/iComment.html).

sord
May 15, 2006, 07:23 PM
Mnnn does this software update today mean a macbook+ipod announcement this week?

Dreams are for free ;)
No! It means PowerBook G5s next Tuesday!!! :D

cal6n
May 15, 2006, 07:23 PM

Took me three tries (choked on a different file each time) but it posted eventually. Just keep trying.

LastLine
May 15, 2006, 07:33 PM
I'm getting that too. On my 5th or 6th attempt through. Does it stop doing it after it goes through properly the first time?

aricher
May 15, 2006, 07:41 PM
re-publishing worked for me on the first try. The 150.6 MB took about 15-20 minutes though.

theSublimeOne
May 15, 2006, 08:00 PM
After installing the update, iPhoto crashes whenever I try to open pictures taken from my Minolta Maxxum 7D. It opens pictures taken from my Canon A400 fine. Anyone else having this issue?

xDANx
May 15, 2006, 08:01 PM

it would appear that iweb 1.1 only publishes pages with changes now...not everything like before. as well, since apple has implemented a new search feature, i imagine that the text is fully searchable now...whether or not it was before i don't know.

xDANx
May 15, 2006, 08:06 PM
i was so excited about ability to leave comments in iweb. but then found out, that is only available if you publish to .mac

well that sucks.

i can understand the frustration. i have .mac but i get why it would be annoying. up until now i've been using icomment + haloscan...it works pretty well. it's just that anytime you add a new blog entry you have to run icomment again to put all the scripts back in place.

does anyone else think that the anti-bot verification for comments is overkill though? maybe offer an option to turn it off for more modest sites like mine? and is it just me or has everyone trying to update their .mac sites at the same post-update totally killed .mac? when i try to publish right now i get random errors...as well, i can't even load the .mac homepage anymore!

jettredmont
May 15, 2006, 08:35 PM

The iWeb file is a "Domain" file. Look in iWeb help and there's a description of how to edit the same site from different computers (dopy the "domain" file between the two). It also notes that if you copy the domain file elsewhere on disk you can double-click to open that file in iWeb (and opening iWeb from the application icon or dock will continue to open that particular domain file until you double-click on another one).

So, I'd suggest: make a duplicate of your existing domain. Double-click it to open in iWeb. Remove all the ".Mac" stuff. That's your work domain. Then, double-click on the "regular" domain in iWeb. Remove all the "work" stuff. That's now your ".Mac" domain.

Plut a link to each domain file on your desktop or dock or wherever and use those to start iWeb with the proper domain file.

Lertie32
May 15, 2006, 08:50 PM
I confess I haven't used iLife a whole lot, but my major problem since installing it has been with iMovie. The new version was incompatible with almost all of the the GeeThree Slick iMovie transitions... a major problem for people like me if you're still working with projects that incorporate them. Not to mention that I now have expensive transititions that don't work. There was eventually an "update" that sort of fixed some of them, but this was SO frustrating. Neither Apple or GeeThree seemed to really care about fixing this quickly...

Anyways, I'll save the rest of my venting for the next time I try to actually use the darn thing again... sigh...

Snowy_River
May 15, 2006, 09:32 PM
...It also notes that if you copy the domain file elsewhere on disk you can double-click to open that file in iWeb (and opening iWeb from the application icon or dock will continue to open that particular domain file until you double-click on another one)....

Really? Here I've been moving domain files around any time I wanted to switch to a different domain. And all I had to do was double click the domain I wanted to use? Wow. Learn something new every day. I knew there was a reason I kept reading these forums! :)

Edit: Does this only work in the updated version? I just tried it (haven't updated yet) and it didn't work...

CubaTBird
May 15, 2006, 09:35 PM

its like myspace.. in apple's style.. meh :o

ImAlwaysRight
May 15, 2006, 09:38 PM

Dreams are for free ;)
No, but this software update means you can post your own photoshoped MacBook to your website more efficiently. ;)

muzikool
May 15, 2006, 09:50 PM
Can anyone confirm that the update makes it possible to publish changes only to a folder?

RustyM
May 15, 2006, 09:55 PM
I can confirm that you can't. :)

muzikool
May 15, 2006, 10:04 PM
I can confirm that you can't. :)

Really? So that only works with .Mac as well?

Viewtiful Rich
May 15, 2006, 10:44 PM
I like the new themes for iWeb... I hope Apple's got big plans for fleshing this program out.

I was having some problems with iMovie crashing and I really hope this update fixes that.

bittyboy
May 15, 2006, 11:05 PM
How can I use my personal domain name www.mywebdomain.com on a .mac account?? I used godaddy.com to register my domain.

bittyboy:cool:

muzikool
May 15, 2006, 11:15 PM
How can I use my personal domain name www.mywebdomain.com on a .mac account?? I used godaddy.com to register my domain.

You don't have to use .Mac to use iWeb. I don't have an answer to your specific question, though.

jettredmont
May 15, 2006, 11:15 PM
Really? Here I've been moving domain files around any time I wanted to switch to a different domain. And all I had to do was double click the domain I wanted to use? Wow. Learn something new every day. I knew there was a reason I kept reading these forums! :)

Edit: Does this only work in the updated version? I just tried it (haven't updated yet) and it didn't work...

I'm not sure. I'm only going off the documentation that I ran across while reading the changes in iWeb 1.1 areas of the help file. Haven't tried it yet.

Edit: Search in help for "Domain" and click on the first topic, about modifying from another location.

Edit 2: Heh. And click on the THIRD link there and it says this is new in iWeb 1.1, to answer your question :)

jettredmont
May 15, 2006, 11:22 PM

You should ask godaddy about this. I'm quite positive it is possible to do, but not necessarily through godaddy. I suspect every domain name service will have different hoops for you to jump through to do this.

At the very least, of course, you can put a redirect from your godaddy-hosted page over to the .mac address, but that would make it obvious that .Mac was hosting you, not your own company server ...

FoxyKaye
May 15, 2006, 11:29 PM
I always rush in head first when it comes to software update :D never had a bad experience in 6 years. Apart from the noisy fan debacle from 10.4.3 :rolleyes:
You must have skipped 10.2.7 - that was a right and proper mess.

Wish I used iWeb, seems a shame to download 95 Megs for something Dreamweaver takes care of for me. OTOH, it would just be irritating to ignore the iWeb update and take care of the rest of iLife.

Thank goodness for fast broadband.

MacsomJRR
May 16, 2006, 12:01 AM
Just a heads up

When someone posts comments to your iWeb website, the iWeb application pops up with a red circle with the number of comments on it (exactly like Mail or iChat works).

The integration is getting a lot better - it publishes ONLY the updates to your website, rather than republishing the entire website.

I'm so freakin happy about this change. It was soooooo annoying have to wait and wait while everything uploaded again. Way to go Apple!

LastLine
May 16, 2006, 12:11 AM
re-publishing worked for me on the first try. The 150.6 MB took about 15-20 minutes though.
Still no joy for me :( And it's always the same file that it does it on :mad:

smeager
May 16, 2006, 01:10 AM

You can use domain forwarding which is in your godaddy account once you log in. Choose you registered domain name and click domain forwarding. In the side panel you enter the address to your iWeb (.mac) site and save it (you can do domain masking too). Now whenever somebody types in www.yourdomain.com it will go to your iWeb (.mac) site.

appleguy
May 16, 2006, 04:11 AM
anyone else having problems uploading their site
I think maybe the server is just busy at the moment but I am getting tonne of errors (a different photo each time failed to upload) and then it recons no information was updated yet I see comments and the spotlight thing added
but .mac is running real slow for me and other sites too.

gauchogolfer
May 16, 2006, 04:30 AM
I just updated mine and didn't have any problems for my site (it's about 135 MBs). Mostly photos. I know this doesn't help your specific situation, but I thought you'd like to know that not everyone is affected.

Cheers.

Manatee
May 16, 2006, 06:47 AM
I guess I'll try iWeb again, now that it has more functionality. :)

juniormaj
May 16, 2006, 07:01 AM
At 5am Pacific the Apple online store is closed for updating....
Says they will be back within the hour.

Edit : 5:30am : New MacBooks!

Dreams are for free ;)

aricher
May 16, 2006, 09:02 AM
I'm loving the changes only publishing in iWeb. I just uploaded 3 photos to the "In-Store Displays" section of my site and the upload/pblishing only took a few seconds. Very nice time saving feature indeed.

bittyboy
May 16, 2006, 06:24 PM
You can use domain forwarding which is in your godaddy account once you log in. Choose you registered domain name and click domain forwarding. In the side panel you enter the address to your iWeb (.mac) site and save it (you can do domain masking too). Now whenever somebody types in www.yourdomain.com it will go to your iWeb (.mac) site.

Many thanks it worked!

Bittyboy:cool:

tangerineyum
May 17, 2006, 01:26 AM
so its been a while since the update was released, and iweb is still refusing to update my site. like the others said its a random image everytime. ive tried 5 times so far.

aricher
May 17, 2006, 09:09 AM
I had better luck updating my site at work on the T1 line. At home on my cable modem updating failed twice on random images. The third time it worked just fine. I doubt your connection speed matters but what kind of connection are you on?

appleguy
May 18, 2006, 05:08 PM
I totally started again
I deleted my whole iweb site and tried to upload again
I seem to get stuck and have lots of errors when I have any more than 2 photos on a photo page.
this is kinda freeking me off

appleguy
May 18, 2006, 05:13 PM
I doubt your connection speed matters but what kind of connection are you on?

I have a 3.5MB ADSL connection
(with upload speed of 128k)
I had no problems before this iweb update
but I do like layouts and templates

CmdrLaForge
May 18, 2006, 05:15 PM

I have exactly the same problem again and again. I hope they fix that soon. Is there already a thread about it on the Apple Discussions?

LastLine
May 18, 2006, 05:29 PM
I have exactly the same problem again and again. I hope they fix that soon. Is there already a thread about it on the Apple Discussions?
Several, but none going anywhere. What has been observed is that if you get that message and LEAVE Iweb OPEN your page will still upload - just watch for your network activity dying down before closing it. Granted it's buggy, and it doesn't always upload comments and the like but it's a stop gap of some sort untill it's fixed properly.

appleguy
May 20, 2006, 05:47 PM
OKies still having problems uploading
although it seems to upload correctly
expect for the comments link
it appears on 1 of my posts in my blog but not the second:(

LastLine
May 21, 2006, 04:58 AM
Yeah I've got my site up and running at the minute so no more updates to the site until this bug gets fixed. For now check out www.nofears.co.uk :)Leave a message in the blog on the front page if you like :)

appleguy
May 21, 2006, 08:11 PM
Has Apple reported that there is a problem?