PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks there should be 2 versions of a the Wii

mac000
May 15, 2006, 05:51 PM
1. Wii as is has been stated by specs.

2. a better graphics option and PPU = high end gamer option.

I like the Wii as the next guy but I mean its like Apple selling G4 chips still. Its old technology and there really isn't any justification for it.

Sure Nintendo is aiming for the "everybody audience" but there should be at least TWO versions of the Wii, I mean c'mon. I'm not even talking HD graphics.

Abulia
May 15, 2006, 05:52 PM
NO!

DEATH TO MULTIPLE SKUS! :D

Gnorn
May 15, 2006, 05:54 PM
I just want the Game & Watch (type of) games to return... :cool:

mac000
May 15, 2006, 05:54 PM
Closer to Xbox360 specs Nintendo Wii would be just unreal if you ask me.

Spanky Deluxe
May 15, 2006, 05:57 PM
No, keep it one setup. More is stupid and will also lead to lots of really disappointed kids when their mums give them a PS3 lite edition for Christmas when they asked for a real PS3.

clayj
May 15, 2006, 05:59 PM
NO!

DEATH TO MULTIPLE SKUS! :DAgreement. The Xbox 360 should NEVER have had multiple SKUs... the ratio of Premium (with HD) to Core (no HD, but can be added) sales is ridiculously high. Only a VERY small subset of folks are better off with the Core than the Premium 360. The only real reasons to sell a Core unit are (1) so you can advertise a lower price point and (2) it's cheaper to replace a broken Xbox 360. The only real difference between the two SKUs, aside from the accessories, is that the Core 360 has a white DVD tray facia and the Premium has a chrome-colored DVD tray facia.

Foxglove9
May 15, 2006, 06:12 PM
Terrible idea that will never happen. The last thing they want is another Sega 32X.

Beside the graphics look really sweet on Wii (minus the HD output). Personally I couldn't care if games still look like colecovision, I just hope they are as fun.

Dagless
May 15, 2006, 06:15 PM
No. They won't do this anyways, against Nintendo's current mantra. It's all about simplicity. Why fog gamers with 2 SKU's? Why do they need that? Or they could pull a Sony

"for 150 you get the Wii. It's all there. it's good to go baby"
"but. for 145 you get the **** Wii. It's a box, theres no CPU or GPU. It sits there. looks nice. I HATE YOU"

jamesi
May 15, 2006, 06:26 PM

I like the Wii as the next guy but I mean its like Apple selling G4 chips still. Its old technology and there really isn't any justification for it.

Sure Nintendo is aiming for the "everybody audience" but there should be at least TWO versions of the Wii, I mean c'mon. I'm not even talking HD graphics.

your missing the whole appeal of the wii. its trying to offer a better game experience with the new controller, as opposed to HD picture. if they wanted to be all about the bleeding edge in technology, then we would see something from nintendo more like the PS3. obviously, this is a crucial point for nintendo b/c they are starting to head down the sega path

.Andy
May 15, 2006, 06:28 PM
No. Same, simple, affordable machine for everyone.

plinkoman
May 15, 2006, 10:17 PM
yea, i think they should. maybe take the wiimote out of the lower spec one though. smaller disks would be cool too. maybe make the console a different design... oh... like a cube or something.

i think the whole premium/basic, or more properly labeled: normal/crippled thing is retarded. what i'd like to see is for nintendo to not discontinue the gamecube for a while after releasing the wii; i hate how the n64 dropped off the face of the earth when gamecube came out.

Spock
May 15, 2006, 11:19 PM
obviously, this is a crucial point for nintendo b/c they are starting to head down the sega path

I dont think Nintendo is going anyplace.

jamesi
May 15, 2006, 11:29 PM

well, i can see that it is easier to assume they will mess up again and become the third world of consoles. however, nintendo isnt quite dead yet. i think that if the wii fails tho, that nintendo might just make games like sega. id rather see them return to the top tho to be honest

Foxglove9
May 15, 2006, 11:41 PM
I think Nintendo would be very happy being the 3rd world of consoles as long as they are making money, which they always seem to know how to do no matter how good or bad their systems are.

well, i can see that it is easier to assume they will mess up again and become the third world of consoles. however, nintendo isnt quite dead yet. i think that if the wii fails tho, that nintendo might just make games like sega. id rather see them return to the top tho to be honest

takao
May 16, 2006, 12:33 AM
please no...
no different hardware packages.. sure a bundle together with a title wold make sense but ... 2 different hardware configurations: just no

BlizzardBomb
May 16, 2006, 12:46 AM
Wouldn't that mean some games would only work with option 2? It's a bad idea IMO.

.Andy
May 16, 2006, 12:59 AM
please no...
no different hardware packages.. sure a bundle together with a title wold make sense but ... 2 different hardware configurations: just no
I think it'll be a Wii, 2 Wiimotes, and Wiisports being the go. Fun straight out of the box for everyone. That'd be killer :).

Peyton
May 16, 2006, 01:03 AM
Same people who want two wiis want 8 versions of MS vista :D

just kidding. no hate mail please

Sea5onS
May 16, 2006, 01:41 AM
Nintendo has taken the risk of not emphasizing graphics (though IMO the graphics are still pretty good), but I think it could become a real phenomenon, and become more mainstream than PS3 and the 360. No guarantee, of course. They need some sweet, highly original games to do it.

To keep things simple for "non-gamer" consumers, they should not have multiple SKUs. I picture my mom going....."Core or Premium? Huh?"

More likely, Nintendo will have multiple colors upon release, but no differences other than that. Down the road they'll probably release a version that is packaged w/ a game (like SSBB) by Christmas '07 or something.

AppleinJapan
May 16, 2006, 02:34 AM
Well they must be doing something right because Nintendo's shares went up after they showed the wii to the audience at E3 and most people in japan want one (because I heard that "dragon quest" - its more popular than final fantasy here is only going to be on the wii now) so Square have decided that FF is for the Playstation and Dragon quest is for the WII...and nothing for the X-box 360 because its already dead here and the DS is king of the portables....

Sorry Peter Moore but you and Microsoft made another big mistake.....and by the way, I have an X-box 360 :(

and Oh back to the topic.....One version only please because most people here have alot of consoles so we don't have enough space to put them...

Sea5onS
May 16, 2006, 05:14 AM
Well they must be doing something right because Nintendo's shares went up after they showed the wii to the audience at E3 and most people in japan want one (because I heard that "dragon quest" - its more popular than final fantasy here is only going to be on the wii now) so Square have decided that FF is for the Playstation and Dragon quest is for the WII...and nothing for the X-box 360 because its already dead here and the DS is king of the portables....

There's no certainty that Dragon Quest is Wii-only. The given title is something like "Dragon Quest Swords" ---- and it may be a spin-off series, akin to Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. Who knows! It's exciting to see Square support the Wii so well, so early though. We have 2 titles coming! (As in, DQ and FF:CC2).

Also, the 360 is not dead here. It's doing just fine, and since PS3 is costing so freaking much, the 360 might do very very well in the coming year(s). XBOX Live is the most fully rounded network solution that we're likely to see this generation, as well, and that bodes well for the 360.

But I'll definitely need my Wii too! Wow, those games just look so fun!

And the DS definitely rules, as well. I can't wait till I get my hands on New Super Mario Bros. for it.

rockthecasbah
May 16, 2006, 05:30 AM
I just want the Game & Watch (type of) games to return... :cool:
those were very underrated games! I love G&W, that series or at least a newer update would suit the Wii very well. One can only hope they release one.

MacRumorUser
May 16, 2006, 05:32 AM
Short answer No.

Long answer Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

----

There may be variation packs - like bundle A console and duckhunt with gun attachment or bundle B console with extra controller and wii sports....

But two different consoles. HELL NO!!!

Also, the 360 is not dead here. It's doing just fine, and since PS3 is costing so freaking much, the 360 might do very very well in the coming year(s). XBOX Live is the most fully rounded network solution that we're likely to see this generation, as well, and that bodes well for the 360.

Remember the analysts predicted Microsoft to be number 1 till 2008 and then Sony to take over. This was before E3. Before Sony decided to take a Big Cleveland Steamer right on the chests of consumers. Before Nintendo shone at E3.... It will be interesting to see Analyst predictions now.

I imagine Microsoft to hold onto the top spot slightly longer now and the Wii to close the gap. This war is going to be pretty much 36/33/31 % or close to it, with no overall massive champion.....

rockthecasbah
May 16, 2006, 05:43 AM
it wouldn't be beneficial to have two consoles with two different processing powers. Developers would be forced to make all their games able to be played on lesser powerful machine to maximize profit since whatever is sold for that can be played on the higher power one. Thus you wasted all of that money buying a more powerful machine that won't have anything to use more processing power on, since it won't improve graphics.

Gnorn
May 16, 2006, 05:43 AM
those were very underrated games! I love G&W, that series or at least a newer update would suit the Wii very well. One can only hope they release one.

Nintendo allready re-released them for the Gameboy, so there is certainly interest in these games. Would also make great widgets, by the way :cool:

Sea5onS
May 16, 2006, 05:56 AM
it wouldn't be beneficial to have two consoles with two different processing powers. Developers would be forced to make all their games able to be played on lesser powerful machine to maximize profit since whatever is sold for that can be played on the higher power one. Thus you wasted all of that money buying a more powerful machine that won't have anything to use more processing power on, since it won't improve graphics.

Exactly what I was going to say.

This is also the reason why even if down the road microsoft or sony created a controller that completely functioned like the Wiimote, it wouldn't matter so much, because these things wouldn't have been bundled in with everyone's 360s and PS3s. Thus developers could not count on it being the primary controller interface, and therefore few would develop for it.

So, for this generation, Nintendo is "safe" from the other systems really stealing it's control functionality (beyond Sony's pathetic theft for their six-degrees-of-crap), though I'm sure they'd get sued all the way to hell if they tried to make a 360-mote or a PSThrii-mote.

PlaceofDis
May 16, 2006, 05:58 AM
considering that Nintendo makes more profit off of their systems than MS or Sony, they aren't going anywhere...

and having two different versions is crap. i mean MS and Sony are only doing it because of how expensive their systems are costing. i don't see any practical point of doing so as it'll just confuse consumers in the end. simple is key.

emotion
May 16, 2006, 05:59 AM

Nonsense. This has always been said of Nintendo (like Apple I guess). People who say it forget that Nintendo are strong in their home market.

Sea5onS
May 16, 2006, 06:04 AM
Nonsense. This has always been said of Nintendo (like Apple I guess). People who say it forget that Nintendo are strong in their home market.

I think he meant "Nintendo isn't going anyplace" as in "Nintendo isn't going to fail." ---> like, Nintendo isn't leaving this arena anytime soon.

Though I see how it could be taken as meaning "Nintendo isn't going to improve at all."

Dagless
May 16, 2006, 06:04 AM
i hate how the n64 dropped off the face of the earth when gamecube came out.

I think that was just developers saying "right, we could code for the hardest machine ever, or we could code for the easiest". It was such a massive difference.
Though you are right. I'd love if they carried on some Gamecube stuff. Would be nice :) Smash Bros Brawl on the Cube too? perhaps.

emotion
May 16, 2006, 06:07 AM
I think he meant "Nintendo isn't going anyplace" as in "Nintendo isn't going to fail." ---> like, Nintendo isn't leaving this arena anytime soon.

Though I see how it could be taken as meaning "Nintendo isn't going to improve at all."

I see. I agree then :)

Dagless
May 16, 2006, 06:07 AM

Right. Because Nintendo are doing bad in the game world?

-Combining all their systems sold since 2000 - They're in first place. DS, GBA and Gamecube. The GBA outsold the PS2 at E3 2005. The DS takes those goal posts and runs an extra mile.
-They make more profit than any other game hardware company.

Frankly you should be worried about Microsoft who sells the least, or Sony who are going to be charging for a 430 machine and STILL losing money on it. Nintendo are the furthest from dead.

ReanimationLP
May 16, 2006, 08:02 AM
NO!

DEATH TO MULTIPLE SKUS! :D

Actually, it was Nintendo who came up with multiple SKUs, back in 85 with the NES. They had the R.O.B set, and the Action set.

ReanimationLP
May 16, 2006, 08:04 AM
I think that was just developers saying "right, we could code for the hardest machine ever, or we could code for the easiest". It was such a massive difference.
Though you are right. I'd love if they carried on some Gamecube stuff. Would be nice :) Smash Bros Brawl on the Cube too? perhaps.

Its hard to code for? I thought that was the Saturn? o.o

It sure is easy to emulate though. I mean, my 733 MHz Pentium III with TNT2 cards can emulate it perfectly at full speed.

Compared to the Sega Saturn, which even my AMD64 machine has trouble with, due to its a pain in the ***.

SamIchi
May 16, 2006, 10:30 AM
No Way, Multiple versions of a console is retarded. Stupid MS and Sony, It's a freakin videogame console. Soon their goin to be giving a million other options on it.

GFLPraxis
May 16, 2006, 12:22 PM

No no no, that's ridiculous- that means that either some games will be designed for the low model and look exactly the same for both, and other games will not run on the lower model, ticking off fans who bought it.

Now, I wouldn't mind a second package with a bundled game, two controllers, the virtual console controller, two nunchucks, and the light gun bundled. I'd buy that.

mrgreen4242
May 16, 2006, 01:32 PM
No Way, Multiple versions of a console is retarded. Stupid MS and Sony, It's a freakin videogame console. Soon their goin to be giving a million other options on it.

In defense of MS, I think the Core and Premium packaging was actually pretty clever. It let them get out the door at $299, a year ahead of everyone else. It also let them make the system they wanted to make and not be arbitrarily priced out of the market.

What I think they did wrong was making such a large gap between the two. The wireless controller and wireless adaptor I can see as seperating them, but the HDD should have been standard. Even a small HDD in the Core would have been acceptable. Heck, even a gig of flash memory would have been OK. Just something so that developers could count of having a permanent storage space in the console to do whatever with.

I think that moving forward the tiers in the systems will be useful for MS with the HDDVD vs. regular DVD equipped systems. That's what I think Sony should've done, too. Keep games on DVDs this time around, and drop the price of the basic system to $350 or something, but no BluRay, and add back in BT for wireless controllers.

That's just me, though. Also, I'd support Nintnedo with this. A premium and basic edition of bundling is fine, as long as the core machine is the same and everything is designed to a certain baseline. Extra controllers, games, DVD playback, etc in a premium box, and just the console in the basic is fine. Heck, I'd be OK if they upped the flash memory to 1gb in the premium, and kept the 512mb in the basic.

rockthecasbah
May 16, 2006, 02:37 PM
Nintendo allready re-released them for the Gameboy, so there is certainly interest in these games. Would also make great widgets, by the way :cool:
ya i own them but one can only hope this interest is continued through to the next gen.

jdechko
May 17, 2006, 10:47 AM
Only if the second form were identical to the Mac Mini... That would be so freaking awesome. The miniWii. :)

Ok, really, No. I don't think that Nintendo should release 2 versions of their console. I mean, a "home" version and a "pro" version? What kind of idiot company* would do something like that?

Besides Microsoft, I mean

Foxglove9
May 17, 2006, 11:11 AM
I have all the G&W gameboy games. They're all great! I can see them using it during load screens to large downloads on their service to kill time. Would be fun and easy for them.

I'm pretty sure it was just the R.O.B. set original as a test market release in certain cities (NY, Chicago, etc..) in 1985 then in 1986 it was a nationwide release and they introduced the cheaper Action set since no one wanted ROB.

Sega Master System had 2 options first, with Light gun and without, if I remember right.

Actually, it was Nintendo who came up with multiple SKUs, back in 85 with the NES. They had the R.O.B set, and the Action set.

jdechko
May 17, 2006, 12:26 PM
Sega Master System had 2 options first, with Light gun and without, if I remember right.

But thats just a bundle w/ games and/or accessories. What we're talking about with 2 different SKU's is that there are differences in the actual consoles themselves. Bundling is one thing. Having 2 separate and distinct systems is something else.

yellow
May 17, 2006, 12:27 PM
I think there should be a version of the Wii that ISN'T ugly and DOESN'T look like a KVM.

mrgreen4242
May 17, 2006, 12:43 PM
I think there should be a version of the Wii that ISN'T ugly and DOESN'T look like a KVM.

I think the Wii is the nicest looking of all three consoles, this time around. The PS3 is pretty... well, ugly. It's like something I'd pull off of a server rack. The 360 isn't to bad looking. Nice curves and good light color choice. Seems like they designed it for standing up, though, while lots (perhaps most) of people use it flat. Looks like of funny flat, with the concave curve on the bottom.

The Wii is simple, small, sleek, as well as being bright and shiny. Well done, I'd say.

yellow
May 17, 2006, 12:45 PM
I think the Wii is the nicest looking of all three consoles, this time around.

Agree to Disagree.

mrgreen4242
May 17, 2006, 12:56 PM
Agree to Disagree.

Sure. You were just voicing your opinion that you didn't like the way the system looked, and I was commenting that I, and I think I'm not alone (nor are you I am sure), thought otherwise.

Didn't say you were wrong, since it's just a matter of taste. :)

Haoshiro
May 17, 2006, 01:05 PM
Others do agree with you green, like me. :)

plinkoman
May 17, 2006, 01:28 PM
yea, count me in too. the wii looks beautiful to me, like it was designed by apple(well, with the white and all ;) )

GFLPraxis
May 17, 2006, 01:49 PM
Honestly, I actually think the PS3 doesn't look to bad. The black one at least. It looks like a curved PS2 from the front. It does look inpractical however, as I like to stack devices (VCRs, DVD players, consoles, etc), and the top is curved.

Though I do like the Wii best, but it's entirely a matter of opinion.

GFLPraxis
May 17, 2006, 01:56 PM
That's just me, though. Also, I'd support Nintnedo with this. A premium and basic edition of bundling is fine, as long as the core machine is the same and everything is designed to a certain baseline. Extra controllers, games, DVD playback, etc in a premium box, and just the console in the basic is fine. Heck, I'd be OK if they upped the flash memory to 1gb in the premium, and kept the 512mb in the basic.

As long as they don't cripple the basic edition I'm fine with bundles.

Microsoft and Sony on the other hand...the XBox 360 core can't use half it's capabilities without the hard drive and you have to spend $40 on a memory card before you can start playing, so the bundles are only $60 apart (between the crippled and functional model). The PS3 lacks half it's promised features and isn't upgradeable if you buy the low end model.