PDA

View Full Version : SONY steal Silver

MacRumorUser
May 15, 2006, 07:17 PM
So it looks like FREE service equates to copying Live's structure completely.
So Free will allow you to spend money on Sony services, downloads but you wont get to play multiplayer.....

Major Nelson posted a video on YouTube showing Sony's online strategy for PS3 from their press conference before E3. The video showcases the "Basic" features of Sony's community services. The Major had this to say:

During their E3 presentation, Sony presents a grand vision for their online service...but they never mention multiplayer! Why not? Are they leaving that up to the publishers? According to the slide in this clip...their 'service' will be equal to Xbox Live Silver.

While Major Nelson, the Director of Xbox Live Programming, could just be trying to lessen the impact and appeal of Sony's proposed online service, it's equally possible that Sony could be putting a spin on their words to make it seem like everything will be free in their online service when their might be two different versions such as Gold and Silver. In the video while listing the features, SCEA president
Kaz Hirai
talks about the features as "Beyond just gaming..." Only time will tell if Sony will have a completely free online gaming service but until then go ahead and give us your thoughts on Sony's words.

Dagless
May 15, 2006, 07:19 PM
This is getting beyond a joke now. really.

sikkinixx
May 15, 2006, 07:31 PM
MS stole the idea of making a video game system from A.S. Douglas, who created Noughts and Crosses in 1952, and according to Wikipedia is one of the first video games.

Symtex
May 15, 2006, 08:04 PM
and Steve Jobs stole the Graphic User Interface from the Xerox Parc.

Haoshiro
May 15, 2006, 08:06 PM
MS stole the idea of making a video game system from A.S. Douglas, who created Noughts and Crosses in 1952, and according to Wikipedia is one of the first video games.

No, they stole it from Sony, who stole it from Nintendo, who stole it from Atari, who stole Pong, who stole the idea from A.S. Douglas!

Man, get your facts straight!

AP_piano295
May 15, 2006, 08:07 PM
what does xbox live silver do?

2nyRiggz
May 15, 2006, 08:25 PM
So everyone still ratting on sony huh.....so what if they charge for service....

Bless

wwooden
May 15, 2006, 08:35 PM
what does xbox live silver do?

Silver lets you use the marketplace, send and receive messages from other people, download arcade games and such.

The Gold package lets you play against other players online.

Mavimao
May 15, 2006, 10:08 PM
Silver lets you use the marketplace, send and receive messages from other people, download arcade games and such.

The Gold package lets you play against other players online.

Hmmm, I never knew that. Wow: I don't really see the point of the Silver package, but hey, that's just me.

At least Nintendo has free multiplayer online service...

...but then again they use that friends code system....

sikkinixx
May 15, 2006, 10:47 PM
No, they stole it from Sony, who stole it from Nintendo, who stole it from Atari, who stole Pong, who stole the idea from A.S. Douglas!

Man, get your facts straight!

sorry! forgot the chain of endless stolen ideas ;)

Oblivious
May 15, 2006, 11:14 PM
So everyone still ratting on sony huh.....so what if they charge for service....

Bless
Everyone is ratting on Sony because they explicitly stated that their online gaming would be free. But apparently not, they're just being misleading and vague.

MacRumorUser
May 16, 2006, 03:36 AM
Everyone is ratting on Sony because they explicitly stated that their online gaming would be free. But apparently not, they're just being misleading and vague.

Sony Misleading?? But they would never be that decieptful would they.

I'm sure Killzone will 100% look that good. ;)

i'm sure Motorstorm (looking just plain pants) and Warhawk (yager cast off) will after a few more months look just like their movies from last year ;)

I'm sure they will provide a FREE online service, and it wont have any problems at all :rolleyes:

I'm sure the PS3 will be defect free and never ever crash ;)

I'm sure the controllers new gyro copy system has nothing to do with Sony stealing the rumble and being busted big time in court last year and force to pay millions in royalties ;)

I'm sure that the market will forgive Sony and rush out and buy that big TURD 'core' $499 console ;)

I'm sure said bundle wont crash and burn ;)

I'm sure Sony haven't lost touch with the consumer ;)

I'm sure the whole world really cares THAT MUCH about Bluray ;)

HiRez
May 16, 2006, 04:22 AM
It's quite amazing to see the depth with which Sony despises its potential customers. Every time they open their mouths lately they seem to either insult or lie, not very good for building confidence. I bought a PS2 and have owned many pieces of Sony gear over the years (televisions, CD and DVD players, receivers, minidisc recorder, headphones, and pro video equipment), but I'm very doubtful that I'll be buying a PS3.

Sea5onS
May 16, 2006, 05:53 AM
Sony indeed regularly rips off competitors, often in quite uninspired ways.

However, to "rip off" Xbox Live isn't really a bad thing. Xbox Live, especially on the 360, is the best console online service we have seen (and likely the best we will see this generation). So, if Sony can replicate it well, then good for them, and good for PS3 owners. No one wants an online service as bad as it was for the PS2 ----- it was a "fend for yourself" market for the developers, and this caused most of them to abandon online modes.

But, I will never pay 600 dollars for a console. So until the PS3 comes DOWN in price, I'll have to hold off on my urge to play Metal Gear Solid 4. Maybe I'll get lucky and Konami will make it multiplatform, or at least MGS4: Subsistustenancistuence. Yes, that was quite a clever made up title there, huh.

Dagless
May 16, 2006, 06:12 AM
I say we should all put $1 together and buy Sony the "Blue Ocean Strategy" book that Nintendo has been reading lately.

Who's with me?

2nyRiggz; its exactly how MRU put it. They said it would be free. and now it's not. Don't you feel like you've been lied too?

What I don't get is why Sony are doing all this. They must know the hardcore people, the folk who look into what they once said and what changed is going to have some impact. We all know Sony are great liars. But consumer Joe doesn't. Does that mean Sony are trying to head down the non-gamer route too? just sticking their fingers up at the hardcore game market like?

MacRumorUser
May 16, 2006, 06:12 AM
Sony indeed regularly rips off competitors, often in quite uninspired ways.

However, to "rip off" Xbox Live isn't really a bad thing. Xbox Live, especially on the 360, is the best console online service we have seen (and likely the best we will see this generation). So, if Sony can replicate it well, then good for them, and good for PS3 owners. No one wants an online service as bad as it was for the PS2 ----- it was a "fend for yourself" market for the developers, and this caused most of them to abandon online modes.

But, I will never pay 600 dollars for a console. So until the PS3 comes DOWN in price, I'll have to hold off on my urge to play Metal Gear Solid 4. Maybe I'll get lucky and Konami will make it multiplatform, or at least MGS4: Subsistustenancistuence. Yes, that was quite a clever made up title there, huh.

I agree with you completely. I started the thread because again Sony was misleading everyone, trying to make everyone believe they would be completely FREE.

Hey and we all know platform exclusives mean feck all these days. What 3-6 months exclusivity at best unless its a first party title...

Haoshiro
May 16, 2006, 06:18 AM

But they do bring it on themselves don't they? I mean, most of the ratting comes from them making claims and then not following through. There would be far less yelling and whining going on would they have either kept their mouth shut or just been honest.

Not that some wouldn't happen anyway, they said it would be expensive from the beginning. But some ratting happens on every system (360 and Wii included)... it's just this bad because Sony has been a bunch of liars to consumers. *shrugs*

2nyRiggz
May 16, 2006, 12:30 PM
I always figured they would charge for something....seriously guys i know they were going to charge(sony giving things for free:confused: HA good one) but now since they are charging it might live up to a great online experience.....don't you guys think?

I will rat on sony if they dont provide a full(paid) service like live.....

Bless

DougTheImpaler
May 16, 2006, 12:35 PM
MS stole the idea for Live from the XBand Modem, who stole their idea from the SEGA Channel!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111one111111!!1eleventy!!!

or was it the other way around...?

Abulia
May 16, 2006, 12:54 PM
Guys, not to ruin the torches and pitchforks party (hey, pass me one too), but since Sony hasn't made an official statement or position on this, their online service may still well be free. And considering the price of the P$3, it damn well ought to be! :)

Personally, I find it amusing that it's taken Sony so long to duplicate what the original Xbox offered four years ago. (hard drive? check! network port? check! online service? check!) Better late than never, I suppose.

Haoshiro
May 16, 2006, 01:30 PM
I think Sony gets forced to advance honestly. That is, we'd still be playing PS1 if competition had not come in and pushed things forward.

Word was that there wasn't even R&D going on for PS2 before the Dreamcast was announced, and that is why Sony press releases were so full of lies - they were talking completely theoretical because they had not even started research. If DC had not came along I think PS2 would probably not appeared until 2001, when GCN/Xbox were scheduled for release.

So it comes as no surprise that they are just not getting what competition had given circumstances.

sikkinixx
May 16, 2006, 01:53 PM
the idea for this website was stolen from the creator of the internet, Al Gore.

Dagless
May 16, 2006, 03:10 PM
the idea for this website was stolen from the creator of the internet, Al Gore.

I thought some British guy invented the internet?

clayj
May 16, 2006, 03:13 PM
I thought some British guy invented the internet?That was a joke. (The Gore reference.) And the British guy, Tim Berners-Lee, invented the World Wide Web. (The Internet was itself invented by ARPA to serve as a resilient communications network that could survive a nuclear war. Its original name was Arpanet.)