PDA

View Full Version : How a Canon L Lens is Made - Link to Tour

law guy
May 15, 2006, 09:50 PM
I found this link on another photography site that I frequent and thought it was a very interesting look at how a Canon L lens comes to life. I thought folks here might enjoy this as well.

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/tech/l_plant/f_index.html

mkrishnan
May 15, 2006, 10:06 PM
This is sweeeet! Thanks! :)

Chip NoVaMac
May 15, 2006, 11:50 PM
To be honest I only looked at the final assembly of the 500mm L lens. With that lens costing about $5,500US, I would expect hand assembly. Keep in mind I do own at least one t this time an L lens. But I have no delusions that my 17-40L was hand assembled.

virividox
May 16, 2006, 04:53 AM
nice link!!!

i wonder what percentage of lenses are hand assembled

BakedBeans
May 16, 2006, 05:51 AM
Sweet link.

very interesting. they need to make a flash movie that has it all in

law guy
May 16, 2006, 08:41 AM
Sweet link.

very interesting. they need to make a flash movie that has it all in

I know - it sort of has an old elementary school film strip (at least those over 30 will remember, roll of pictures in a little projector and a cassette tape that made the "bing" sound to advance) feel to it.

Chip - in addition to assembly, you might also find the glass making process and lens creation part of interest.

cookie1105
May 16, 2006, 06:34 PM
nice link. Very interesting for someone new to photography. Hope you don't mind if I post it on another forum I take part in.

ipacmm
May 16, 2006, 08:03 PM
Interesting tour...it would be nice it they updated the pictures a little, it looks like it was made in the early 1990's but still cool to see the process.