PDA

View Full Version : Almost bought a PSP

Dagless
May 16, 2006, 09:01 AM
(ooh, and the MacBooks have been released too) Just back from town, the new white PSP came out here yesterday. Didn't think anything about it until today.

I was in Gamestation just looking how much the white model cost, I could pick one up for £160 which contains
-white PSP
-32mb CoreProDuo thingy stick
-any free game and UMD film

I think thats a pretty good deal. But I got looking. I could pick up a black one, 2nd hand for £130 with any 2nd hand game and memory stick. But the 2nd hand thing scares me away a bit. God knows who else has mauled it!

Could I get a better deal online from somewhere? And what could I do with a PSP? I'd probably play 1 or 2 games, probably stick more to legal emulators and homebrew more than anything else. But I keep hearing about firmware this and that and bricking the PSP etc.

I think the UMD will definitely be The Mighty Boosh. gotta love the Boosh. No ideas about games or anything.

helps! I might not even get one though. The GP2X is a much better deal for me (SD card), or I could get a DS lite for half the White PSP price at just £80.

MacRumorUser
May 16, 2006, 09:41 AM
Why do you want one mate? Seriously, bought one at Jap launch, still with v.1.5 firmware and just can't be arsed to use it. Sit's on the shelf gathering dust.

Well I ocasssionaly have a go on lumines, or mercury but thats it. DS has a lot better games overall...

Oh I ordered one of the new macbooks :p

grapes911
May 16, 2006, 09:51 AM
I just got a PSP. I was all willing to get a used memory card, games, etc, but I always purchase new systems until now. I didn't mind getting a used PSP at all. The people that sell them back are the ones that did even use them that much. They are generally in great shape. Just ask to look at it and turn it on before you purchase it. Plus you'll get to test for dead pixels this way.

mikeyPotg
May 16, 2006, 09:56 AM
I hope I dont end up buying one, as I'm getting low on funds with the upcoming Treo 700p. But I've been contemplating on buying one solely for the Valkryie Profile game (oh how I WISH WISH WISH I never traded in my old game. WTF!) and perhaps Monster Hunter Freedom? I dunno, really. I'm also looking to get the new DS eventually.

Mavimao
May 16, 2006, 10:08 AM
Well I ocasssionaly have a go on lumines, or mercury but thats it. DS has a lot better games overall...

RaggedJimi is a big Nintendo fan so I'm sure he has one already, yeah?

MacRumorUser
May 16, 2006, 10:11 AM
Trust me I know ;) :D

Just seen screen shots from ThrillVille on PSP. A console version of Rollercoster Tycoon 3 basically, looks good. My PSP might get some use this year afterall....

Dagless
May 16, 2006, 10:16 AM
Well I can't find a better deal online.

I don't even know why I want a PSP. Just figured I might as well.

Right now I'm still in limbo. probably come to some decision tonight. GP2X, M3 and a DS Lite or PSP. figured I don't want a GB Micro anymore, seeing that the new DS Lite screen puts it to shame.

2nyRiggz
May 16, 2006, 12:22 PM
Coming over to the dark side huh...come on over its good on this side:)

Bless

DougTheImpaler
May 16, 2006, 12:27 PM
If you're wavering on a purchase, don't get it until you "gotta have it" or else you really don't want it that badly.

shadowmoses
May 16, 2006, 12:58 PM
You can get a better deal here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=240000138754&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1) I have mine up for auction to raise extra funds for my MacBook, But to be honest I wouldn't get one get a DS instead much more fun....

ShadoW

Dagless
May 16, 2006, 01:08 PM
I have my eye on GTA:LCS. It wouldn't hold me forever. Street Fighter would be a necessity too.

Though I'm STILL STUCK!

I could buy the GP2X. the perfect machine. epic homebrew support! just grand.
I could buy a DS Lite and M3 when they're out in Canada (import). Play my current favourite games on a sexy new, smaller, brighter device.
I could fork out a little (lot) more and buy a PSP and the few games for it. More interested in the homebrew scene.

How are Mega Drive and Snes emulators on the PSP? Is there a Commodore Amiga emu? What about Duke 3D and Doom ports?

Haoshiro
May 16, 2006, 01:48 PM
Then you could port Satan Sam to GP2X and become a legend in the GP scene. ;)

shadowmoses
May 16, 2006, 02:27 PM
I have my eye on GTA:LCS. It wouldn't hold me forever. Street Fighter would be a necessity too.

Though I'm STILL STUCK!

I could buy the GP2X. the perfect machine. epic homebrew support! just grand.
I could buy a DS Lite and M3 when they're out in Canada (import). Play my current favourite games on a sexy new, smaller, brighter device.
I could fork out a little (lot) more and buy a PSP and the few games for it. More interested in the homebrew scene.

How are Mega Drive and Snes emulators on the PSP? Is there a Commodore Amiga emu? What about Duke 3D and Doom ports?

If your interested in the Homebrew scene then definatly go for a Gp32x they are $149 at Lik-Sang and they also have the benefit of far better homebrew support and they take SD cards which are much cheaper than MS DUo's

SHadoW

Abulia
May 16, 2006, 03:05 PM
How are Mega Drive and Snes emulators on the PSP? Is there a Commodore Amiga emu? What about Duke 3D and Doom ports?Amiga emulator? Okay, this right here could sell me on a PSP. Does such a thing exist?

Dagless
May 16, 2006, 03:09 PM
Amiga emulator? Okay, this right here could sell me on a PSP. Does such a thing exist?

I asked that 'cuz the GP2X has an Amiga emulator :) Turrican 2, Sonic 2, Streets of Rage 2 and Mario World all one 1 handheld would be the best handheld ever.

Abulia
May 16, 2006, 03:16 PM
I asked that 'cuz the GP2X has an Amiga emulator :) Turrican 2, Sonic 2, Streets of Rage 2 and Mario World all one 1 handheld would be the best handheld ever.I've never heard of this GP2X. Google ho!!!!! :D

slffl
May 16, 2006, 03:26 PM
I sold my PSP and got gameboy micro and soon DS Lite. I couldn't be happier! A lot better games and no load times! Man I swear I was waiting longer to load the games than I was playing them.

JoeKarame
May 16, 2006, 03:52 PM
The PSP's been the biggest gaming disappointment I've ever had really. I got one on it's US launch, and aside from Ridge Racer and Wipeout, there still bloody nothing of much worth out there which screams "Buy Me!".

Sold mine a fair old while ago now.

DS Lite for the real fun, I think.

Haoshiro
May 16, 2006, 03:59 PM
I've never heard of this GP2X. Google ho!!!!! :D

http://gp2x.com/

Shame on you for never having heard of it! :P

;)

Dagless
May 16, 2006, 04:39 PM
http://gp2x.com/

Shame on you for never having heard of it! :P

;)

Aye it's a top little machine.

Dragon Monster Freedom (or something)
Tony Hawks whatever (love a TH game)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (though I have it on GBA already)
GTA:VCS (seeing it was just announced - loved the original)

all have me. But not too much. I'd say Nanostray/DS much. I'd buy one now if the giga-pack was £100. I'd go out in my slippers and buy one. I'm having a hard time justifying the £160, or £240 to get all the games I want.
:(

Do we know if there's to be a price drop?

Haoshiro
May 16, 2006, 05:02 PM
You've always come off as a die hard Nintendo fan, I'm surprised you'd "Support the competition" haha.

I've heard of a price drop the mostly consisted of dropping most of the accessories included... not sure if that is really a price reduction or a value reduction, though. :)

Dagless
May 16, 2006, 05:26 PM
Hey I have all systems except 360 (soon) and PS2. :) I love the PS1. downright LOVE. after the NES it's definitely another staple of a console.

2nyRiggz
May 16, 2006, 07:05 PM
Check PSP.com they got some good things to download there.

Bless

Abulia
May 16, 2006, 08:56 PM
So who has the Amiga emulator? I can't find it. :(

XNine
May 16, 2006, 09:11 PM
So who has the Amiga emulator? I can't find it. :(

http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5

Be careful, this little console is really cool, but still no way to play original PSX games on it (the emulator sucks).

Abulia
May 16, 2006, 09:13 PM
http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5

Be careful, this little console is really cool, but still no way to play original PSX games on it (the emulator sucks).
Excellent! Thank you!

Time to get me a graduation gift. :D

Dagless
May 16, 2006, 09:16 PM
Excellent! Thank you!

Time to get me a graduation gift. :D

Fancy getting me one too? :rolleyes:

It's 3.14am. no decision here.

PSX playback is going to be a huge thing for me. so long as it works very well. Gah! Maybe I should come back to this choice when the PS3 is out or whenever Sony announce more about this PSX download system.

Abulia
May 16, 2006, 09:28 PM
Fancy getting me one too? :rolleyes:

It's 3.14am. no decision here.

PSX playback is going to be a huge thing for me. so long as it works very well. Gah! Maybe I should come back to this choice when the PS3 is out or whenever Sony announce more about this PSX download system.
Wuss! :p

I thought you were a serious gamer! :D

Dagless
May 17, 2006, 06:29 AM
I realised last night and could possibly be the biggest thing in this thread... ANOTHER AMIGA FAN!

What system did you have, games and that?

I had a snazzy little Amiga 600, got the Wacky-thingy pack with the Quavers game, Deluxe Paint 3, some F1 Racing thing and Silly Putty. and about a thousand games :)

student_trap
May 17, 2006, 08:38 AM
I think the UMD will definitely be The Mighty Boosh. gotta love the Boosh

oh my god the boosh is so good, its the best thing i have seen for a long while!

As for the PSP, i'd wait and get a DS lite, but the choice is yours

Dagless
May 17, 2006, 10:33 AM
oh my god the boosh is so good, its the best thing i have seen for a long while!

As for the PSP, i'd wait and get a DS lite, but the choice is yours

Aye but knowing NoE it will be over priced, only come in brown with turquoise and green systems available in special Pokemon or Mario Kart packs. There will be no stylus and the box will be terrible. It won't come with a UK charger plug, but a Venezuela one with a UK adapter to plug into. Though to save money Nintendo will stick in a bunch of copper and metal ore and tell you to make it yourself.

GFLPraxis
May 17, 2006, 02:20 PM
You've always come off as a die hard Nintendo fan, I'm surprised you'd "Support the competition" haha.

Heh, I too am often branded a Nintendo fanboy, yet I'm a diehard Kingdom Hearts and Burnout fan and have been playing on my PS2 constantly with the release of KH2. I also had every Sega system back in the day (Game Gear, CDX [Genesis, Sega CD combo], 32X, etc) prior to the N64, and I would probably buy a PSP if it was cheaper and had some more interesting games. I don't boycott systems just because they're not made by Nintedo, neither does Jimmi (though the Microsoft logo loses a few points for me).

crachoar
May 17, 2006, 09:59 PM
If you have an eye for detail, and enjoy getting what you pay for - be ready
to return those PSPs, over and over.

Nineteen of them for me. Never did find one that wasn't plagued by screen problems (pixels, bubbles, scratches, etc.). Maybe I'll try again when the
white ones come out here. See if I can get to thirty.

I will say, though. If you're a 'WipeOut XL' fan - 'Pure' was as close to that game as any of the new ones have been. I was quite pleased, for the one day I was able to spend with that game.

But overall, I don't see the point. Thumbs down, I say.

Also, there's that whole 'no games' thing. And the 'smudge-magnet' thing. And the 'need-to-buy-a-third-party-clamshell-to-protect-it' thing. And the 'proprietary memory' thing. And the...

To spot your typical pixel problems, try covering the ambient light with your hand and rebooting the system. The stuck or lit pixels will jump right out against the black. Once it boots to the OS, you'll see the dead ones (or against a white screen). To spot bubbles in the plastic, scratches, or dust trapped under the plastic - the best way is to just tilt the unit in fluorescent light. They'll jump right out.

Overall, I can't say I'm too pleased with the system. That's not saying the DS was built any better or using high-quality parts. But I have to say, despite the ass-quality audio, the terrible mold (design) which destroys my palms, the tiny, crappy buttons, the small screens and screen flicker problems (which I hate) - the DS has been more fun. However, I say 'more fun' only because of the GBA sequels that were taken hostage by that system, and the fact that the system actually has games - despite their quality.

Abulia
May 18, 2006, 11:21 AM
I realised last night and could possibly be the biggest thing in this thread... ANOTHER AMIGA FAN!

What system did you have, games and that?I had an Amiga 1000, later a 2000HD, and then a 3000. :)

As for games, pretty much everything. My favorite was the old TV Sports Basketball and Football plus a shareware game that was a total rip of the FASA tabletop MechWarrior franchise. I forget its name.

So yea, a portable with an Amiga emulator would make my week. :D

2nyRiggz
May 18, 2006, 12:23 PM
Heh, I too am often branded a Nintendo fanboy, yet I'm a diehard Kingdom Hearts and Burnout fan and have been playing on my PS2 constantly with the release of KH2. I also had every Sega system back in the day (Game Gear, CDX [Genesis, Sega CD combo], 32X, etc) prior to the N64, and I would probably buy a PSP if it was cheaper and had some more interesting games. I don't boycott systems just because they're not made by Nintedo, neither does Jimmi (though the Microsoft logo loses a few points for me).

Ha ha good one:) ...you know i had to do it;)

Bless

thequicksilver
May 18, 2006, 01:41 PM
I too found myself in a sudden "I want a PSP" frame of mind today. Principally I'd be getting it for Wipeout Pure, which should finally fill the ten year wait I've had for another racing game that's as good as Wipeout 2097. And likewise for Ridge Racer. I'm sure I'd pick up a few other games eventually too, but those two would keep me going for a long while.

raggedjimmi, FWIW I found a few half decent offers while shopping today.

HMV have a buy a white PSP Value Pack and get three games (Pro Evo 5, Lemmings and… er… something crap that I can't remember) for £179.99.

Game had a buy a white value pack and get two games from a selection of ten or so. The first game was from a group of older games, the highlight was Wipeout Pure. The second was from some pretty damned new ones, including World Cup 2006, the new Outrun, etc.

Forbidden Planet had a second hand Giga Pack for £149.99 which I was going to buy, but they'd lost it. Literally lost it. They're going to call me when/if they find it. If they do, I imagine I'll get that, providing it's not knackered.

Let me know if you find any better offers will you? I'll drop any others I find in this thread.

Dagless
May 18, 2006, 02:59 PM
I too found myself in a sudden "I want a PSP" frame of mind today. Principally I'd be getting it for Wipeout Pure, which should finally fill the ten year wait I've had for another racing game that's as good as Wipeout 2097. And likewise for Ridge Racer. I'm sure I'd pick up a few other games eventually too, but those two would keep me going for a long while.

raggedjimmi, FWIW I found a few half decent offers while shopping today.

HMV have a buy a white PSP Value Pack and get three games (Pro Evo 5, Lemmings and… er… something crap that I can't remember) for £179.99.

Game had a buy a white value pack and get two games from a selection of ten or so. The first game was from a group of older games, the highlight was Wipeout Pure. The second was from some pretty damned new ones, including World Cup 2006, the new Outrun, etc.

Forbidden Planet had a second hand Giga Pack for £149.99 which I was going to buy, but they'd lost it. Literally lost it. They're going to call me when/if they find it. If they do, I imagine I'll get that, providing it's not knackered.

Let me know if you find any better offers will you? I'll drop any others I find in this thread.

The Game one sounds good, but not for the lineup. If you could choose 3 games then it would be better. Lemmings cannot be played without a mouse and I'm no football fan.

Forbidden Planet lost it aye... Can I make a little guess here? Was this in Hanley?

Gamestation do a deal where if you buy a second hand PSP you can pick a free second hand game too. And, if they have any, a second hand memory stick too.

shadowmoses
May 18, 2006, 03:17 PM
If your going second hand get it from CEX (www.cex.co.uk) they give a 12 month warranty on any second hand product and they replace it on the spot if you have a problem no questions no repairing etc...
they have discounted ones for £100 these are normally missing a few cables but are in fine condition and have a full 12 month warranty. plus you can part-exchange some of your old stuff for one.

SHadoW

thequicksilver
May 18, 2006, 03:26 PM
The Game one sounds good, but not for the lineup. If you could choose 3 games then it would be better. Lemmings cannot be played without a mouse and I'm no football fan.

Forbidden Planet lost it aye... Can I make a little guess here? Was this in Hanley?

Gamestation do a deal where if you buy a second hand PSP you can pick a free second hand game too. And, if they have any, a second hand memory stick too.

The Game one is a good offer. It is only two games, but I didn't mention that it's just £179.99. So it's basically a Value Pack plus two free games, and the games are good ones. I might have gone for it, but I intend to use the PSP to watch films, so a 32MB card just doesn't cut it. Gotta be the Giga Pack.

It was indeed glorious Hanley, yes. Have you had similar experiences?

Gamestation's second hand Giga Packs were £20 more than Forbidden Planet, and as I'm only want/need one game to start with (Wipeout Pure) I can get that brand new at Forbidden Planet for £15. Providing they: i) Find the missing PSP and ii) That it doesn't have half of its buttons missing and 3,482 dead pixels, I'll get that. £165 for the Giga Pack with the game I want seems a good deal.

askthedust
May 18, 2006, 03:51 PM
I've had my psp for several months now and as much as I like it it gathered a lot of dust until blockbuster started renting games. My gripe with the machine is one shared my quite a few people that it's included storage card is ridiculous. But he card prices are finally coming down to make it of more value as a mobile multmedia device. i never looked twice at the ds (just my opinion no need to flame) because i thought it looked ugly and couldn't watch movies on it. I was hoping that the psp would one up the ipod. I bought early to enjoy the shiny goodness but knowing I would have to wait untilt he memory stick prices came down and the storage went up. This is when the psp will actaully be worth having. I have a video ipod and i would rather watch movies on the psp but the size is bulky to carry around daily. that rumor of an 8gb stick would be the best thing to happen to the psp...

Dagless
May 18, 2006, 04:58 PM
The Game one is a good offer. It is only two games, but I didn't mention that it's just £179.99. So it's basically a Value Pack plus two free games, and the games are good ones. I might have gone for it, but I intend to use the PSP to watch films, so a 32MB card just doesn't cut it. Gotta be the Giga Pack.

It was indeed glorious Hanley, yes. Have you had similar experiences?

Gamestation's second hand Giga Packs were £20 more than Forbidden Planet, and as I'm only want/need one game to start with (Wipeout Pure) I can get that brand new at Forbidden Planet for £15. Providing they: i) Find the missing PSP and ii) That it doesn't have half of its buttons missing and 3,482 dead pixels, I'll get that. £165 for the Giga Pack with the game I want seems a good deal.

Hanley's Forbidden Planet is pure amazing. My girlfriend asked if they had a 2nd hand copy of Final Fantasy 7. They looked it up "oh yes, but we can't find the box. Come back when we find it" ... that was about 9 months ago and shes still FF7-less :D :D :D
Might pop over to Hanley sometime. I mean 2 Game's in the same small-ish shopping centre is just mad.