PDA

View Full Version : New Super Mario Bros.

saunders45
May 16, 2006, 11:35 AM
So, has anyone played it yet? I just picked it up during my lunch break, and I can't wait to try it.

saunders45
May 16, 2006, 03:12 PM
Anyone?

Dagless
May 16, 2006, 03:19 PM
Ask me in a few days ;)

saunders45
May 16, 2006, 03:28 PM
heh.. heh... I'm waiting for the clock to stop going so slow. Just wanna get home and try it out.

mrgreen4242
May 16, 2006, 03:30 PM
Both of you guys need to post what you think about it after a couple days... I'm trying to stop myself from getting this until I finish the game I am playing now... :)

therevolution
May 16, 2006, 04:27 PM
I've only played multiplayer vs. a friend so far. It's pretty fun, though I don't see it being fun forever - it seems like you could only fireball the other guy and steal their stars so many times before it gets old. It certainly can have its moments though. It was pretty hilarous having the micro mushroom and being chased down by my friend who had the mega mushroom, who was tearing up the landscape trying to get me (and somehow I lived! :D ).

But hey, I didn't buy the game for the multiplayer mode. I'm really looking forward to trying out the single player.

SamIchi
May 16, 2006, 05:12 PM
I've played through 2 worlds. Seems like Mario Bros. classic goodness. I need to play some more before I make a judgement.

Bubbasteve
May 16, 2006, 07:23 PM
Monday, I was at a local Wal-Mart during my lunch break for work (that's how I roll) and I saw the Wally World employee shelving the game. Needless to say I stood there staring at it for a good 2 minutes wishing I had a DS Lite.

kingcrowing
May 16, 2006, 07:45 PM
can you save between worlds or is it old skool style with no saves??

steelphantom
May 16, 2006, 07:47 PM
I'll probably pick it up if I'm able to afford a DS Lite once they come out in the US. I'm really excited about this game since it kind of brings me back to my gaming roots. I'm not all about playing generic FPS #49028 nowadays.

saunders45
May 16, 2006, 09:12 PM
I haven't even finished the first world yet, but it's pretty cool. I LOVE the wall jump. As far as saves go, it's similar to Super Mario World (my personal favorite) with saves after major levels/castles.

Ja Di ksw
May 16, 2006, 09:22 PM
1st player is fun. Classic Mario with a few new moves: Wall jump / slide, ground pound, etc. It takes me back. I especially like how at the end of the level you jump to catch a flag and then slide down it, and there are fireworks depending on the time when you hit the flag, just like on Mario for the NES.

One thing that's taking me a little bit to get use to is when you start moving, there's a little bit where you are slow, like a normal person trying to run - it takes you a sec. Not overbearing, just noticeable. It feels like he has some drag.

DevilDog
May 16, 2006, 10:50 PM
The game is fabulous. On world 1, there are 2 'castles' and you can save it after you beat each one. There are multiple paths you can take throughout the worlds (top or bottom). This game is great. It's just another one of those reminders of why I love Nintendo. It's just fun and enjoyable, smashing goombas and looking for pipes to go down. Definately buy this game. Now for the Wii...

SamIchi
May 16, 2006, 11:00 PM
1st player is fun. Classic Mario with a few new moves: Wall jump / slide, ground pound, etc. It takes me back. I especially like how at the end of the level you jump to catch a flag and then slide down it, and there are fireworks depending on the time when you hit the flag, just like on Mario for the NES.

One thing that's taking me a little bit to get use to is when you start moving, there's a little bit where you are slow, like a normal person trying to run - it takes you a sec. Not overbearing, just noticeable. It feels like he has some drag.

Yea I know what you mean, he has a longer start up. It's not like SMW, but you adjust quickly, reminds me a lot of the first SMB.

nightdweller25
May 16, 2006, 11:23 PM
Finishing the 2nd world. Very fun and addictive, it feels like I'm right at home yet it feels so new.Definetely a very worthy buy.

Viewtiful Rich
May 17, 2006, 01:21 AM
This is the most pure fun I've had playing a video game in a while.

You've been missed Mario!

JLatte
May 17, 2006, 02:12 AM
I am very much buying this when I get my next paycheck. I envy all of you that have it. :(

saunders45
May 17, 2006, 07:22 AM
Yeah, it's pretty cool. Just did the first "waterworld", the sharks were cool. Fish and sharks doing torpedo spins was neat. As far as movement, I have noticed that there is some acceleration involved. It did kinda throw me off for about a minute, but then you get used to it. That said, I really like the new powerups. The mini-mushroom is cool, being able to float and fly skyhigh.

billchase2
May 17, 2006, 08:52 AM
is this what you're talking about?

http://ds.ign.com/objects/682/682879.html

paddy
May 17, 2006, 09:20 AM
is this what you're talking about?

http://ds.ign.com/objects/682/682879.html

Yup. Gotta get me that game.

JDOG_
May 17, 2006, 10:45 AM
I will certainly be picking this up as my first DS game for my DS lite next month :D

Videos of this game just look awesome

/jelous

plinkoman
May 17, 2006, 01:31 PM
i'm going to be picking up this and metroid as the first games for my ds lite in june too. i just wish i didn't have to wait till then to play it... :(

GFLPraxis
May 17, 2006, 02:21 PM
I'm at world five. Loving it :)

JDOG_
May 17, 2006, 02:42 PM
i'm going to be picking up this and metroid as the first games for my ds lite in june too. i just wish i didn't have to wait till then to play it... :(

NO JOKE.

At least we know it's just a supply issue, and making enough units to meet what is certainly going to be a heavy launch demand. These things are still flying off the shelves in Japan & it's still $200 to import them!

Ja Di ksw
May 17, 2006, 05:19 PM
Yeah, it's pretty cool. Just did the first "waterworld", the sharks were cool. Fish and sharks doing torpedo spins was neat. As far as movement, I have noticed that there is some acceleration involved. It did kinda throw me off for about a minute, but then you get used to it. That said, I really like the new powerups. The mini-mushroom is cool, being able to float and fly skyhigh.

What I like about the mini mushroom is that you can run on top of the water!

SamIchi
May 17, 2006, 06:36 PM
What I like about the mini mushroom is that you can run on top of the water!

Yea runnin on water is cool. I think Mini Mario is the most interesting powerup.

I just beat it. I missed 2 worlds, and I'm goin back now tryin' to get 100%. This game seems kinda easy. It truly is the "New" Super Mario Bros. I didn't know what to expect from this game, and that's probably a good thing. Expectations kill a lot out of anticipated titles. I would've like a "New" Super Mario World, but this is still good.

mrgreen4242
May 17, 2006, 06:38 PM
Yea runnin on water is cool. I think Mini Mario is the most interesting powerup.

I just beat it. I missed 2 worlds, and I'm goin back now tryin' to get 100%. This game seems kinda easy. It truly is the "New" Super Mario Bros. I didn't know what to expect from this game, and that's probably a good thing. Expectations kill a lot out of anticipated titles. I would've like a "New" Super Mario World, but this is still good.

Hm, the reported short length of this game (in all the reviews and peoples personal experiences) makes me think it'll be smart to wait a few weeks to a month to buy it used. :P

Ja Di ksw
May 17, 2006, 07:00 PM
Hm, the reported short length of this game (in all the reviews and peoples personal experiences) makes me think it'll be smart to wait a few weeks to a month to buy it used. :P

Yeah, I haven't played it much but I can already tell it's going to be very quickly beaten. Surprised they made it that way. Oh well, the girlfriend can play it after, and maybe e-bay (or macrumors) it after that.

Dagless
May 17, 2006, 07:03 PM
Little question... how many hours does it take to race to the end? Just it took me 4 hours to beat Mario World and that felt like a lifetime, and obviously being the best Mario game ever. finding those secret levels was just :eek: especially on accident!

Haoshiro
May 17, 2006, 07:11 PM
Little question... how many hours does it take to race to the end? Just it took me 4 hours to beat Mario World and that felt like a lifetime, and obviously being the best Mario game ever. finding those secret levels was just :eek: especially on accident!

I hope that 4 hours isn't a speed run... Start to Bowser's Death I have at ~30min in Super Mario World :D

SamIchi
May 17, 2006, 07:18 PM

This game is fairly short. I got this yesterday, and probably played around 6 hrs total, probably less. All the levels are pretty linear, and short.

Ja Di ksw
May 17, 2006, 07:24 PM
Am I the only one that loves how the enemies and items (at least the flowers) do a little hop/spin/etc to go along with the music? Just a nice touch :)

SamIchi
May 17, 2006, 09:31 PM
Am I the only one that loves how the enemies and items (at least the flowers) do a little hop/spin/etc to go along with the music? Just a nice touch :)

I didn't notice that they bounce with the music. But I do like how they bounce. I also like how the Koopa's stutter a lil. Gives it a nice touch to the challenge.

TEG
May 17, 2006, 10:59 PM
Well, I beat it the first day, but I never got to worlds 3 or 7. I also have a lot of levels skipped. I'm working on going back to complete them.

TEG

Ja Di ksw
May 17, 2006, 11:24 PM
I didn't notice that they bounce with the music. But I do like how they bounce. I also like how the Koopa's stutter a lil. Gives it a nice touch to the challenge.

The stutter / bounces / etc happen on the big notes of the music, it's not random.

turbopants
May 18, 2006, 12:51 AM
It's a very fun game, if a bit easy to beat.

billchase2
May 18, 2006, 09:25 AM
dang, this makes me want to buy a DS just to play this game...

srobert
May 18, 2006, 10:03 AM
I find the very first level very convenient to quickly recharge
your lives.

Knock on the "Big Mushroom" block. Don't catch it just yet.
Follow it and catch it just before it falls in the pit. Now that
you are big, keep running right, jumping only to clear those
2 unbreakable "steps". Run through the stairs and flag pole
at the end of the level before shrinking and you'll collect
5 1-ups! You only have about 1 second of margin of error.
Repeat as often as needed. Very fast.

Anybody came up with a faster/easier 1up trick?

I'm only at level 3 and 4 right now. I've collect all the big
coins and unlocked all roads except those leading to
those cannons. Haven't figured how to get to those yet.

SamIchi
May 18, 2006, 10:15 AM
I find the very first level very convenient to quickly recharge
your lives.

Knock on the "Big Mushroom" block. Don't catch it just yet.
Follow it and catch it just before it falls in the pit. Now that
you are big, keep running right, jumping only to clear those
2 unbreakable "steps". Run through the stairs and flag pole
at the end of the level before shrinking and you'll collect
5 1-ups! You only have about 1 second of margin of error.
Repeat as often as needed. Very fast.

Anybody came up with a faster/easier 1up trick?

I'm only at level 3 and 4 right now. I've collect all the big
coins and unlocked all roads except those leading to
those cannons. Haven't figured how to get to those yet.

So far I haven't had a problem with extra lives, I got like 50 right now. Those green mushroom houses help out. I wonder if that trick from the original Mario works in this game. You know the one with the shell and the steps. I never could do it in the first one so I didn't really try.

I've got everything up til world 6, canons on the first world I haven't gotten.

srobert
May 18, 2006, 10:19 AM
So far I haven't had a problem with extra lives, I got like 50 right now. Those green mushroom houses help out. I wonder if that trick from the original Mario works in this game. You know the one with the shell and the steps. I never could do it in the first one so I didn't really try.

I've got everything up til world 6, canons on the first world I haven't gotten.

I keep losing my lives trying to reach those cannons in the
first 2 worlds ^_^

I don't think the shell trick will work anymore. The physics
of this mario game are quite different than the roiginal.

I love how they managed to discretly insert some elements
from the original mario here and there. I even found a
secret invisible 1-up block because an area looked similar
to one from the original game.

paddy
May 18, 2006, 10:40 AM
Seeing as this is a Nintendo DS thread I'll post it here. Computerandvideogames.com have said that the Lites European release date is 23rd June retailing at €150. Ouch. http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=140205

Dagless
May 18, 2006, 11:13 AM
Seeing as this is a Nintendo DS thread I'll post it here. Computerandvideogames.com have said that the Lites European release date is 23rd June retailing at €150. Ouch. http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=140205

€150=£102

If I can somehow get a US/Canada import with the import tax then I'm sorted. £80 over there. say you americans, you've missed my birthday at least twice now :p

To a few posts above. On my 4:30 run through (hey it was my first go!) I did rack up 350 lives.
That's the thing with Mario games. You can just beat them in short time with loads of lives. but they're just so damn good. Though I'd love to play a really difficult Mario game. If Mario: Lost Levels and Mario Bros 3 weren't hard enough.

takao
May 18, 2006, 11:28 AM
well so far it's all rumors

personally i'm gonna wait for the official pricing.. the US pricing was lower than expected after all

GFLPraxis
May 18, 2006, 12:08 PM
Easy way to beat the game:
Save one of the Big Mushroom houses. When you reach the final castle (there's a second castle after the one on World 8, don't let it trick you!), go first to the big mushroom house and you get a giant mushroom to carry on the touch screen pocket.

When you reach final boss, tap the mushroom on the touch screen. You become a giant Mario, then walk over the first boss, then jump on the second boss, and ta-da, you just won :D

SamIchi
May 18, 2006, 12:17 PM
Easy way to beat the game:
Save one of the Big Mushroom houses. When you reach the final castle (there's a second castle after the one on World 8, don't let it trick you!), go first to the big mushroom house and you get a giant mushroom to carry on the touch screen pocket.

When you reach Bowser & Baby Bowser (final boss), tap the mushroom on the touch screen. You become a giant Mario, then you walk over Baby Bowser, jump on Bowser's head, and ta-da, you just won :D

Ya might want to put a spoiler on that. It's minor but still.

Final boss was pretty easy, I was expecting more than 1 try.

2nyRiggz
May 18, 2006, 12:21 PM
Why did you guys race through the game so fast?.....6hours to beat the game....did you get all of the hidden stuffs?

Bless

Dagless
May 18, 2006, 03:09 PM
Ya might want to put a spoiler on that. It's minor but still.

Final boss was pretty easy, I was expecting more than 1 try.

Every Mario boss has only taken 1 try from me. I just find them overly easy, really. Enjoyable but easy. Infact the ONLY boss that took more than 1 go was this boss in Metroid Prime 2. Can't remember anything about it other than it was in the dark world, and you had to roll into a ball too get to it.

srobert
May 18, 2006, 03:17 PM
Every Mario boss has only taken 1 try from me. I just find them overly easy, really. Enjoyable but easy. Infact the ONLY boss that took more than 1 go was this boss in Metroid Prime 2. Can't remember anything about it other than it was in the dark world, and you had to roll into a ball too get to it.

Yeah. Mario bosses are kind of easy but I like it like that ^_^

Metroid bosses? Ah! the dreaded Spider Guardian. I had to try 5 times before finally beating him. Even when you know the pattern, you still have to maneuver quickly and precisely. Oh I wish they would have put a save station just before this guy.

I also had some trouble with the boost guardian.

Metroid bosses are so much fun overall.

2nyRiggz
May 18, 2006, 03:48 PM
Hey if the flying power-up missed at all in this new game? or does the giant mario make up for flying/floating?

Bless

shazammy
May 18, 2006, 03:53 PM
So, has anyone played it yet? I just picked it up during my lunch break, and I can't wait to try it.

I played it at E3 for quite some time (they were giving out free DS cases if you played long enough) and I LOVED it. When you turn into MEGA Mario and just crush everything on screen, it is really fun. Love the way they use both screens, I think you'll love it. Buying a DS Lite in June!

srobert
May 18, 2006, 04:28 PM
Hey if the flying power-up missed at all in this new game? or does the giant mario make up for flying/floating?
Bless

I don't think it's missed. Actually, I didn't even notice until you mentioned it. Giant mario isn't a substitute for anything in previous mario game. Basically, when in giant Mario form, the only thing you can do is walk a straight line and crush everything in your path. Think of it as the invincibility star but with a larger area of effect :D Very Fun.

If you want to fly, you can still steal Lakitus' clouds. I've only seen Lakitu in one stage thus far but they never were common enemies.

SamIchi
May 18, 2006, 08:13 PM
Why did you guys race through the game so fast?.....6hours to beat the game....did you get all of the hidden stuffs?

Bless

It was just short, I'm goin back now to get everything. If you really wanted to have a speed run it probably could be less than half n hour.

Trowaman
May 18, 2006, 09:16 PM
I will certainly be picking this up as my first DS game for my DS lite next month :D

Videos of this game just look awesome

/jelous

I will be doing the EXACT same thing. I just got accepted back at my summer job local (Toys R Us) and they want me to work "R Zone" this time around. So, not only will I buy the DS games, I'll sell them too.

Last year Star Wars toys, this summer DS Games,

iZoom P5
May 18, 2006, 09:55 PM
I understand every one's feelings on the short initial gameplay, but makes up for it in replay value...trying to find every big coin and path.

Just like Mario 64. Sure you only needed 60 stars to beat the game but that's only half the objective if your true goal is to get all 120. Of course the last 60 were a lot harder to get than the first 60.

Dagless
May 19, 2006, 06:22 AM
I will be doing the EXACT same thing. I just got accepted back at my summer job local (Toys R Us) and they want me to work "R Zone" this time around. So, not only will I buy the DS games, I'll sell them too.

Last year Star Wars toys, this summer DS Games,

Y'know. the idea of work could never sound good to me some months back but I help out at my cousins pub - cleaning, managing etc. But I would bloody love to work at Toys R Us selling games. Not in a dedicated game shop either. sounds strange I know :o

back again to the short life span. At least this is better than Sonic! I mean on all the Sonic games I've played you have to play every level to get to the boss. each one taking 2-5 minutes. not long really. waaay less reason to replay. but we do. :confused: such is the power Sonic and Mario have on us.
Got my Mario order despatched this morning :)

SamIchi
May 21, 2006, 06:58 PM
I just completed the game 100%, all paths, all coins. I was kinda dissapointed there wasn't anything extra after the 100% completion but it was a great game. I haven't played a game like this in a long time nonstop, but I also haven't had the time to play like this. Great game.

Smallville
May 26, 2006, 04:56 AM
Can't wait for my birthday, but I hope this is a resurgance of simpler games. First-person shooters and role-playing have been done to death since the 64 came out. I'm ready to get back to basics.

pcortez
Jun 22, 2006, 04:52 PM
so did anyone figure out how to get the canon in the first world?

pcortez
Jun 22, 2006, 05:32 PM
i figured it out.
to get the first canon, go to the fortress in the first world...
[highlight the rest]

...somewhere to the far left of the screen there is a pipe that shoots you up to a doorway. this leads to a room with a starcoin. you will need shell mario for this. go through the opening to the right of this room, and use shell mario to break some blocks in the next room, and that's it.

gluck.

pcortez
Jun 22, 2006, 07:22 PM
how to get to world 7
go to the ghost house in world 4. the ghost house above a canon....

go in as mini mario or have it ready in the item box. you'll need to go to the area with the p-block and the two vertical rows of red blocks. i think it is right after a doorway or doorportal. anyways. hit the pblock and go to the FAR right of the screen, and use the red blocks to get to the green pipe, but DONT go in it. jump on top of it and enable mini mario. kick off the pipe towards the right and keep wall-kicking. the rest is obvious.

hope that was helpful.

pcortez
Jun 23, 2006, 12:38 PM
to get the canon that shoots you to world 8 from world 5, go to the ghost house...

from here, go up a good amount of flights of stairs, not sure exactly how much. you will get to a point where at the far left of the screen there are three smashable blocks. jump on them, and you'll discover 3 hidden blocks arranged like a pyramid. jump on the middle one, SQUAT, and jump. it will reveal a vine. climb it FAST above the enemies that smash stuff, and let him smash an entrance to the secret door and fall below. go through, and you are in an elevator, sort of. kill the pumpkin enemies and stay in the middle of the rising platform since it wobbles. after you get to the top, exit and hit the flag pole.

i started a new thread on secrets and spoilers...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2547898#post2547898

.Andy
Jul 3, 2006, 09:18 PM
4colorrebellion are reporting that there is a secret challenge mode in NSMB;

Gamers who’ve already finished the game will be able to access this secret Challenge Mode by hitting Start in the world map and pushing the following combination of buttons during the Start Menu:

L R L R X X Y Y

http://www.maj.com/gallery/drawne/Curve/challenge.jpg

This brings up an automatic scroll on all levels. As much as I hate those levels I can't wait to give this a go when I get home :)!

It's old school SMB all over again :D

2nyRiggz
Jul 3, 2006, 09:29 PM
^Interesting.....gotta try this out after my DS lite is charged....good stuff.

Bless

thegreatluke
Jul 3, 2006, 11:17 PM
Here's the levels you should go through to beat it very quickly:

World 1:
Stage 1
Stage 2
Tower
Cannon to World 5

World 5:
Stage 1
Stage 2
Warp Pipe
Ghost House
Cannon to World 8

World 8:
Stage 1
Stage 2
Tower 1
Stage 3
Stage 4
Regular Castle
Stage 5
Stage 6
Stage 7
Stage 8
Tower 2
Giant Castle

So... only 18 stages in all. That's not bad. I figure someone REALLY fast could beat it in maybe... 20 minutes?

thegreatluke
Jul 3, 2006, 11:35 PM
I keep losing my lives trying to reach those cannons in the
first 2 worlds ^_^

I don't think the shell trick will work anymore. The physics
of this mario game are quite different than the roiginal.

I love how they managed to discretly insert some elements
from the original mario here and there. I even found a
secret invisible 1-up block because an area looked similar
to one from the original game.
It does work. Try it on W2-4... it's really easy there, because there's a green Koopa on the steps waiting for you.

For those who don't know, go to W2-4 (or any other for that matter) and jump on the Koopa so that it's a shell. Jump on it again, but you have to time it right so that as the shell bounces back below you, you fall on it, causing it to become a forever-jumping Mario where you can get unlimited lives.

This Youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm-N8N_d4bw) explains it a lot better.

Dagless
Jul 4, 2006, 04:55 AM
...It's old school SMB all over again :D

Exactly!!! Just got off the phone to Caroline last night. about to go to bed. whipped out the old DS Lite from under the bed and started up a new game of Mario DS :D that feeling of instant playability from Mario games is priceless.

Still trying to beat the game 100% though :o getting all those coins is hard and finding all the secret levels. If you remember I didn't like this at first but the Mario magic has seeped through and it's now just another great Mario game. This weeks issue of Live!, a magazine aimed at 20-30 year old rich guys n gals, alongside it's reviews of the most expensive "man bags" had a review of Mario DS calling it "A masterpiece". What a great world we live in.

GFLPraxis
Jul 4, 2006, 11:16 AM
Grrr, I'm only 2 coins away from 100% completion...