PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Gaming Help

xJus10x
May 16, 2006, 03:31 PM
Hi, my friend is considering buying the new MacBook and he was wondering how it would handle WoW if he got the top end version with 1GB RAM, please respond ASAP because he wants to order now. Thanks

Dont Hurt Me
May 16, 2006, 03:33 PM
Any Gamer should run and hide from any machine using Integrated graphics, Integrated graphics are for Grandma's, and 5 yr olds not for anyone who enjoys to game.

xJus10x
May 16, 2006, 03:35 PM
He only plays WoW... but so he shouldn't get it?

mrgreen4242
May 16, 2006, 03:38 PM
Yup. WoW ran just barely acceptable on my Rev A iMac G5 with the 5200 GPU. As much as that card sucked, it's light years ahead of the GMA950 in the MacBook.

xJus10x
May 16, 2006, 03:40 PM
ok well this sucks lol

Patmian212
May 16, 2006, 04:11 PM
how is it compared to the radeon mobility 9200 32mb?

Schack
May 16, 2006, 04:16 PM
I'd like to know how it compares to the GeForce FX Go5200. I've played a lot of WoW on my 12"PB, sure it's not the prettiest thing, but absolutely playable and fun.

Thinking of upgrading my gf's iBook to MacBook, but only if it can play WoW, since she's become hooked too:p

I'm really gonna be disappointed if it really turns out to be useless for WoW:(

colocolo
May 16, 2006, 04:19 PM
Guys, I agree integrated graphics suck as much as the next guy, but listen to his question... I've got a Mac Mini Solo here in the office, I've tried to play WoW on it and it runs acceptably well (20-24 fps) outdoors with most settings on medium-low. Of course distance is to the minimum.
Inside Orgrimmar it gets choppy, averaging 5-10 fps most of the time. I have only the stock 512MB though, I'm guessing 1GB would do wonders for that.

It's not a gaming machine, I agree; but it gets the job done.

AnimeUnrivaled
May 16, 2006, 04:21 PM
how is it compared to the radeon mobility 9200 32mb?

It's better than the 9200 or 5200 as far as CoreImage support is concerned and possibly (I don't know) for 2D acceleration/ HD video and the like. It, however, is simply not an option for any gaming if you want an improvement over any dedicated graphics that we've had for the past several years. ATI and nVidia have some integrated graphics solutions that could beat the pants off of a 5200 or 9200, but it will be quite some time before we see something like that from Intel.

Guys, I agree integrated graphics suck as much as the next guy, but listen to his question... I've got a Mac Mini Solo here in the office, I've tried to play WoW on it and it runs acceptably well (20-24 fps) outdoors with most settings on medium-low. Of course distance is to the minimum.
Inside Orgrimmar it gets choppy, averaging 5-10 fps most of the time. I have only the stock 512MB though, I'm guessing 1GB would do wonders for that.

It's not a gaming machine, I agree; but it gets the job done.

I'm impressed (really). I'm actually surprised it gets the 5-10 fps. That lends me to believe that it would be doable for this game (and only this game), seeing as action doesn't play such a high role in MMORPGs. My above response was to the quoted question, so I'm not actually missing the point or anything. I was saying that it'd be worthless compared to the 9200 because that was what was asked. From what I can tell after a quick search, the 1GB vs 512MB really doesn't make much difference with WoW, at least not with the settings that you would be playing at with a GMA 950.

ivansf
May 16, 2006, 06:35 PM
Ive been asking myself the same thing... Can i run WoW on a Macbook?
Well after some google searching i found that the game is "playable" under OSX with some tweaks... and its "very playable" under Windows XP.

Some ppl say its because of Rossetta .. and thats is wrong...WoW is already Universal

Its cause WoW was designed to run under DirectX and OSX only supports OpenGL... also if u run WoW under XP with OpenGL it will run as slow as in OSX.

Take a look: http://sencsblog.blogspot.com/

mrgreen4242
May 16, 2006, 06:56 PM
Go to barefeats.com and look at the mini gaming benchmarks. The 950 doesn't even keep up with the 9200/32mb in the old mini's in games like UT2k3. How do you think it's going to perform in a game like WoW?

It's not going to be playable.

Pancake
May 22, 2006, 03:14 PM
Since the integrated graphics share the ram, having at least 1GB is a must if you are trying to game on one.

Mord
May 22, 2006, 03:21 PM
ut2k4 has since been patched and gma950 is faster than the 9200 and 9550 in the ibook, WoW runs fine on low settings, heck i've played it on my 600MHz ibook on 5 man instance runs.

lasuther
May 24, 2006, 01:25 PM
With 1G Ram, you'll be fine with a MacBook. I'm hitting any where from 15 to 25 FPS running around. A iMac is much better for WoW, but the MacBook is perfectly fine for WoW.

paddy
May 24, 2006, 02:39 PM
Oh I don't like integrated graphics. I know comments like this have been posted many a time but please dont give me the usual response. Consumers like some gaming, nothing heavy. As posted by mrgreen4242 the old minis card beats it in UT2k3. Thats not acceptable. Is it to much to ask for a 64mb dedicated card at least as a BTO?

Rant over (feel better now :p )

ncook06
May 24, 2006, 10:10 PM
Is it to much to ask for a 64mb dedicated card at least as a BTO?

Yes. :cool:

It would require a completely new logic board....

Gurutech
May 25, 2006, 01:45 AM
Purchased Macbook 1.83 for my brother who will be going college this fall.
The ram is now 1.25 Gb.
Just wanted to test WoW to see how well this intergrated chip fares.
Surprisingly, with all setting to low, the outdoor frame rate was about 20~22 (Searing Gorge, EPL, etc)
And I got about 4~12 frame rate in IF (depending on where I look at.. too many players in one screen almost made me scream.. )

Played ZG raid fine.. but when I tried MC, I had to keep looking at the ground in order to heal properly! :cool: )

Anyway.
Macbook isn't as bad as many people claim to be.
In fact, it plays just as well as my old powerbook (1.33 Ghz, 64 Mb Radeon 9700)

MacRumorUser
May 25, 2006, 02:02 AM
Anyway.
Macbook isn't as bad as many people claim to be.
In fact, it plays just as well as my old powerbook (1.33 Ghz, 64 Mb Radeon 9700)

That's what I've been saying for ages - it's far better overall not just games but everything than the ibooks it replaced for christs sake.

I was surprised Motion 2 ran and was workable.

People who havent actually tried one, need to get off their high horse.

Mine should arrive today too :D

Childehrld
May 25, 2006, 08:44 AM
People who havent actually tried one, need to get off their high horse.

Mine should arrive today too :D

So... you haven't actually tried one, either?