Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

System Management Control firmware updates are available for certain Intel-based Mac models.

The SMC Firmware Update addresses intermittent boot issues.

The SMC Firmware Update 1.0 is a System Management Control (SMC) firmware update for certain Intel-based computers, including iMac (Early 2006), Mac mini (Early 2006) and MacBook Pro (15-inch) computers.

The updates can be found here:

iMac (early 2006) SMC Firmware Update

MacBook Pro SMC Firmware Update

Mac mini (early 2006) SMC Firmware Update

Installation instructions can be found in Apple's Knowledge Base. Note that two of the three download pages have bad links to the Knowledge Base article at the time of this posting, so use this link until those pages are corrected.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
As I have said before, the more upgrades either software or hardware, is good.

It looks like the new MacBook has this.

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
Perhaps this is the solution for the latest security update and issues people with bootcamp and rosetta startup items.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
furryrabidbunny said:
Not to sound naive... but what exactly does this update improve?

From what I have heard, it turns the fans on sooner on these macs so they run cooler. maybe more, but that's all I have heard.

astral

macrumors member
May 9, 2005
Yep, its a temp management update. It appears to address the "mooing noise" (the fan stays on instead of constantly revving up). My MBP was on all day (which always led to the mooing) and was mooing at constant 5 second intervals until I installed the update. The fans now appear to be running constantly at a really low speed. Definitely install this to kill the moo-cow.

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
astral said:
Yep, its a temp management update. It appears to address the "mooing noise" (the fan stays on instead of constantly revving up). My MBP was on all day (which always led to the mooing) and was mooing at constant 5 second intervals until I installed the update. The fans now appear to be running constantly at a really low speed. Definitely install this to kill the moo-cow.

SMC = "stop mooing computer"?

My MPB does not "moo", nor is the temperature too bad. I am a little wary of installing an update to fix a problem I don't have. Has anyone without the above problems given this a try?

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
I like my fans how they are thank you!

I just blindly install updates like a fool though...

I love how quick updates are on the iMac though. This one took less than 90 seconds with two restarts!

Todd H

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2002
Eastman, Georgia
Yep I like them the way they are too. I have a PC on the desk next to the Mac. I'm amazed at how the Mac is almost silent compared to it.

Installing the update was the first time I ever heard the fans. Luckily it lasted about 5 seconds while the firmware updated. After that, back to silence.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to install the update since I don't have any problems, but when I ran Software Update it was listed. Figured I'd give it a go.

truz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2006
Florida
About time :) ever since the last secuity updates that was like 100+mb in size and caused issues with intel macs, my boot options did not work. I could not boot to my mac CD to reload the os. Anyways, I was also not able to boot into windows or machd, I had to change the boot settings before restarting..

Now that they fixed this issue, everything is good again :)

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
I've heard them before, but only to go woosh as you switch on. I listened out for it because it's the same noise my old PowerMac G5 used to make when you switched it on but about 90% quieter!

rishey

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2003
How does it work with the Macbook Pro Cooling mod?

Has anyone who did the heatsink mod to their Macbook Pro tried this update? Is it working OK?

Thanks

darwin022

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2005
DC
I updated my 15.4" 2.0GHz MBP to this tonight.

pre update idle: 65* C CPU temp. post update: 63*
pre update maxed (both cores, using SystemLoad.app): 88* C post update: 81* C

So I would say it is an improvement.

It does NOT improve battery life. In fact, Before the update, my battery would last a whopping 8 minutes, after, 4 minutes (from a full charge. Apple seems to have their hands up their ass as far as sending me a replacement battery)

smiley

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2005
hallelujah! The whine is gone!

Installed the firmware update on my MBP. No problems so far and the infuriating processor whine has gone away! It's also running a LOT cooler now. Way to go Apple!

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
smiley said:
Installed the firmware update on my MBP. No problems so far and the infuriating processor whine has gone away! It's also running a LOT cooler now. Way to go Apple!
The CPU whine and heat was a FIRMWARE ISSUE?

truz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2006
Florida
darwin022 said:
I updated my 15.4" 2.0GHz MBP to this tonight.

pre update idle: 65* C CPU temp. post update: 63*
pre update maxed (both cores, using SystemLoad.app): 88* C post update: 81* C

So I would say it is an improvement.

It does NOT improve battery life. In fact, Before the update, my battery would last a whopping 8 minutes, after, 4 minutes (from a full charge. Apple seems to have their hands up their ass as far as sending me a replacement battery)

Is your macbook pro one of the recalls??

http://www.tuaw.com/2006/05/03/apple-recalling-macbook-pro-batteries/

jobberwacky

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Zurich (CH)
smiley said:
So the firmware update mended the bad soldering? Great! Did it also do the dishes?:D

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
Idle: 47-50C (only iTunes)
Full load: hit 82C then went to 77-78C and stayed there

Before the firmware update my MBP would stay around 82C full load and 56 idleC. So an improvement.

Still have the whine though :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.