PDA

View Full Version : MKV on MAC ?!

Elitward
May 16, 2006, 10:40 PM
Hi,

I notice that MKV files are getting more and more popular around us.
But it looks that these files are not supported very well on MAC.
Maybe it's because many MKV files use ReadVideo9 as video codec, which is not popular in MAC world.
As far as I know, the only software to decode Real Media File is RealPlayer, and RealPlayer do not support MKV files. So ...!!

Does anyone have an idea to deal with MKV files?

Thanks in advance.

Elitward

jon-chan
May 16, 2006, 11:22 PM
Maybe it's because many MKV files use ReadVideo9 as video codec, which is not popular in MAC world.

In my experience, I've seen most MKV files use the DVIX and XVID codecs for video. My suggestion would be to try VLC or MPlayer, but I doubt they support RealVideo9.

ReanimationLP
May 16, 2006, 11:58 PM
All of my MKV files that I have (all anime) use H.264 or just good ol DivX.

Just get VLC for it, and Mplayer, and you should be good to go.

dr_lha
May 17, 2006, 09:09 AM
PS. Its "Mac" not "MAC", unless you're talking about running videos on a network card.

SC68Cal
May 17, 2006, 09:44 AM
Call me an idiot, but I've honestly never seen anything in H.264. Ever.

EDIT: Not to mention, none of my computers are nearly fast enough to do it anyway.

killmoms
May 17, 2006, 10:01 AM
Call me an idiot, but I've honestly never seen anything in H.264. Ever.

EDIT: Not to mention, none of my computers are nearly fast enough to do it anyway.
I have, I encode stuff myself. And standard-def H.264 plays fine on my 2-year-old PowerBook G4 with a 1.25GHz CPU. All of your computers are slower than that?

H.264 != HD

Eidorian
May 17, 2006, 04:35 PM
http://www.videolan.org/

VLC will play .mkv files just fine on OS X. I've been able to watch 720 x 480 .mkv files on my old PowerMac G3 450. Sure, the CPU was under 100% load but it was completely watchable.

I've found that h.264 is showing up a lot more now for standard definition as well. You get up to a 20% savings on file size when compared to MPEG-4/DivX/XviD.

andcraig
May 17, 2006, 04:36 PM
Yeah. I encode a lot of things in h264 inside of mkv.

VLC doesn't handle .mkv well (at least not on a 1.5 ghz powerbook) with h264 inside of it. VLC itself isn't the best .mkv player and combining that with the extra proc needed for h264 makes for a poor showing sometimes.

I'm hoping someone will improve mplayer since it handles them beautifully on my linux box

Eidorian
May 17, 2006, 04:56 PM
I just generally try to steer clear of .mkv files. I prefer .mp4 or .avi. with whatever video codec was used.

DennyKrane
Jun 30, 2006, 04:57 AM
Until Matroska decides to address the Mac Community...
I have found a way to play mkv files, with 60% less frustration.
This works for me, using a G4/400 and Mplayer osx
1. Get Info the mkv file
2. Change to extension to wmv. Save as wmv and that's it.
3. Playback improved, and of course with a G4/400 I'm not running
anything else.
Btw, my display is set to 800x600 100 Hz, Million colors
Best regards to all
6/30/2006 :)

Nermal
Jun 30, 2006, 05:06 AM
Several months ago a Windows-using friend gave me an MKV file, just to see whether I could play it (he couldn't). To this day I've never managed to get it working. The latest version of VLC comes back with:

mkv: unknow codec id=`V_REAL/RV40'
main: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `undf'.
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.

It's obviously Real-format video, but I don't know what that "undf" is. Any suggestions?

Edit: The sound plays, just not the video. I also tried MPlayer, which also plays the sound. I don't get a video error in MPlayer, it just sits there eternally bouncing in the Dock.

Yuvi
Jun 30, 2006, 09:46 AM
Several months ago a Windows-using friend gave me an MKV file, just to see whether I could play it (he couldn't). To this day I've never managed to get it working. The latest version of VLC comes back with:

mkv: unknow codec id=`V_REAL/RV40'
main: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `undf'.
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.

It's obviously Real-format video, but I don't know what that "undf" is. Any suggestions?

Edit: The sound plays, just not the video. I also tried MPlayer, which also plays the sound. I don't get a video error in MPlayer, it just sits there eternally bouncing in the Dock.AFAIK, there is no open-source real video decoder, nor will there be anytime soon, and I doubt Real cares much about Matroska, so I doubt files like that will ever work on PowerPC. It might on Intel if someone gets MPlayer's binary codec pack to work on Mac OS X, which I don't think has been done. Also, the undf is because VLC uses four character codes (like 'XVID', 'avc1', 'mp4a', etc) internally to map codecs, but Matroska uses strings to identify codecs, so VLC has to map Matroska's strings to a fourcc manually, and it looks like no-one's added the mappings for the Real codecs since no sane encoder uses them in Matroska. Where are you guys finding these files anyway? The only Real codecs in Matroska I've seen are test files for proving Matroska's capabilities.

Until Matroska decides to address the Mac Community...
I have found a way to play mkv files, with 60% less frustration.
This works for me, using a G4/400 and Mplayer osx
1. Get Info the mkv file
2. Change to extension to wmv. Save as wmv and that's it.
3. Playback improved, and of course with a G4/400 I'm not running
anything else.
Btw, my display is set to 800x600 100 Hz, Million colors
Best regards to allASF (the container that .wmv files are) and Matroska are two completely different formats entirely, and are not compatible in the least. Unless the file was actually ASF and got renamed to MKV for whatever stupid reason, this should do nothing but confuse MPlayer, but I think it ignores the extension anyway. At any rate, there just might be something for Mac users pretty soon...

Eidorian
Jun 30, 2006, 10:11 AM
Just out of curiousity will VLC use Real's codec if you have Realplayer installed? The OS X version isn't as bad as the Windows one. I need it sometimes too.

Additionally, h.264 in .mkv enclosure playback is terrible in VLC.

Fukui
Jun 30, 2006, 10:28 AM
AFAIK, there is no open-source real video decoder, nor will there be anytime soon...
Mplayer (http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/video-codecs.html#realvideo)

Eidorian
Jun 30, 2006, 10:32 AM
Mplayer (http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/video-codecs.html#realvideo)
RealVideo 3.0, 4.0 (fourcc RV30, RV40) - decoding supported by RealPlayer librariesO RLY?

Yuvi
Jun 30, 2006, 12:29 PM
Just out of curiousity will VLC use Real's codec if you have Realplayer installed? The OS X version isn't as bad as the Windows one. I need it sometimes too.Not last I tried.

One thing I didn't know until I just checked is that MPlayer bundles the Real codecs for MPlayer OS X - http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/rp9codecs-macosx-20041107.pkg.zip (I thought they would only be part of MPlayer's Linux codec pack.) I doubt they work with anything other than MPlayer, but I'll have to try the Real-in-Matroska test files I have when I get home.

@Fukui: There's a difference between a decoder and a player. MPlayer uses closed-source codecs for Indeo, WMV9, and Real Video, among others, which have to be installed seperately.

FullmetalZ26
Jun 30, 2006, 11:15 PM
The real problem with MKVs are that since such a file is only a container, not a format, getting one and having it play is kind of a mixed bag. The only ones I've had trouble with so far contained WMV10 video, which at the time (still?) wasn't supported on the Mac.

Fukui
Jul 1, 2006, 01:05 PM
@Fukui: There's a difference between a decoder and a player. MPlayer uses closed-source codecs for Indeo, WMV9, and Real Video, among others, which have to be installed seperately.
I think the Real ones are made using Helix, I also heard there was partial support for VC1 (WMV9) in VLC, but not much has come of it. Some may be hacked too, but I think the real codec may be legit.

CrashRay
Oct 26, 2007, 05:07 AM
Hi,
i did a website about the mkv on Mac.
It's Mkv4Mac (http://mkv4mac.free.fr/?lang=en&p=acc)
It's originally in french but i'm working on the translation. Some part of the website is already in english.
For mkv file with real Media video, you must use Mplayer with additionnal codec.
How to install what you need (http://mkv4mac.free.fr/index.php?p=log#mpl)
After you can see this part :
How to use Mplayer with Mkv Files (http://mkv4mac.free.fr/index.php?lang=en&p=lec)

sysiphus
Oct 26, 2007, 05:27 AM
MKVs are lovely looking, but my 2.16ghz CD MBP with 2gb of RAM can't handle a 1080p movie...:(

illegallydead
Oct 31, 2007, 02:17 AM
I'm sorry, but I don't undertnad the point of even having the MKV format. It sounds like a fancy way to package a normal movie, that will end up requiring the user to download more spotty software in order to play it...

WHY use this when you have so many widely playable options: WMV, AVI, MPEG, H.264, MP4, etc. etc.

Cybix
Oct 31, 2007, 06:45 AM
I'm sorry, but I don't undertnad the point of even having the MKV format. It sounds like a fancy way to package a normal movie, that will end up requiring the user to download more spotty software in order to play it...

WHY use this when you have so many widely playable options: WMV, AVI, MPEG, H.264, MP4, etc. etc.

It's part of an evil plan to take over the world. heh, there's always someone that has to do something differently *sigh*

BeefUK
Oct 31, 2007, 07:05 AM
Try this quicktime component www.perian.org (http://perian.org/)
It was recommend to me in another thread, not had chance to try it out yet but worth a go.

killmoms
Oct 31, 2007, 08:23 AM

MKV mostly exists because it got relatively popular in the anime fansubbing community due to its ability to contain soft-subtitles and do mixed frame rates. But that's about it. Why it's gotten popular in other circles is beyond me.

platypus63
Oct 31, 2007, 11:24 AM
I've only seen it in anime as well. VLC and Mplayer have worked great for me. But when I started using front row, it had to be quicktime compatible. So I used this to extract the avi's or whatever is in there. You get to pick which audio/subtitle track you want in the mix, and pops the avi's right out of MKV. Maybe it'll be of some use.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/24872/mokgvm2dvd

P.S. Does quicktime allow for soft subtitles??

killmoms
Oct 31, 2007, 11:29 AM
I've only seen it in anime as well. VLC and Mplayer have worked great for me. But when I started using front row, it had to be quicktime compatible. So I used this to extract the avi's or whatever is in there. You get to pick which audio/subtitle track you want in the mix, and pops the avi's right out of MKV. Maybe it'll be of some use.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/24872/mokgvm2dvd

P.S. Does quicktime allow for soft subtitles??

If you have Perian installed to play MKVs in QuickTime, yes. There's also some support in QT for MP4's "TTXT" soft-subtitles, but there's no good way to create them or mux them into MP4's in OS X. I played around with it once, but it's kind of a bitch. I think it might get easier as "closed captioning" on iTunes video material gets more common though. In fact, I'm wondering if that's what they're using to accomplish that at the moment. Haven't bought anything that's captioned/subtitled off iTunes recently, so I'm not sure.

EDIT: Perian (or QuickTime) also currently has a bug where MKVs with soft-subtitles will play back with their embedded fonts displaying correctly when you're just playing them, but if you try to export to another format, all formatting disappears. It's bizarre.

Merlyn3D
Oct 31, 2007, 11:46 AM
Try this quicktime component www.perian.org (http://perian.org/)
It was recommend to me in another thread, not had chance to try it out yet but worth a go.

I'm surprised it took 23 posts for someone to actually mention perian. It's the best solution if you want to play your movies in frontrow, although I'm also a big fan of VLC on the mac, it's much better than its windows counterpart.

michaelverdin
Oct 31, 2007, 01:24 PM
guys i tried mokgvm2dvd but it seems to give me this error since i upgraded to leopard

applescript error

pid tt stat time command (1)

any help?

twoodcc
Nov 1, 2007, 04:52 PM
guys i tried mokgvm2dvd but it seems to give me this error since i upgraded to leopard

applescript error

pid tt stat time command (1)

any help?

i got the same error in leopard also

Eidorian
Nov 1, 2007, 04:54 PM
MKV mostly exists because it got relatively popular in the anime fansubbing community due to its ability to contain soft-subtitles and do mixed frame rates. But that's about it. Why it's gotten popular in other circles is beyond me.Back in my day we used OGM. :rolleyes:

I'm surprised it took 23 posts for someone to actually mention perian. It's the best solution if you want to play your movies in frontrow, although I'm also a big fan of VLC on the mac, it's much better than its windows counterpart.The thread was started last year.

TheStu
Nov 1, 2007, 05:11 PM
Back in my day we used OGM. :rolleyes:

The thread was started last year.

And last year although Perian existed, it was not the shining example of Apple codec goodness that it is today, not by a long shot. The 1.0 version is leaps and bounds better than the old .76 that they had posted for the longest time.

Eidorian
Nov 1, 2007, 05:33 PM
And last year although Perian existed, it was not the shining example of Apple codec goodness that it is today, not by a long shot. The 1.0 version is leaps and bounds better than the old .76 that they had posted for the longest time.I remember 0.5 but I don't think it supported .mkv.

ricoisacsson
Nov 13, 2007, 04:29 PM
The trick to viewing MKV files in Mac is that you have to convert them into a format that is compatible.

Use VisualHub (v 1.23) to convert the files into a better format. I prefer MP4 so I can play them in my iPod.

Then open the file in for example Mplayer OSX 2.... and Voila..

Please note that this has worked with all the files that I have tried... But I'm not promising anything.

TheStu
Nov 13, 2007, 05:46 PM
The trick to viewing MKV files in Mac is that you have to convert them into a format that is compatible.

Use VisualHub (v 1.23) to convert the files into a better format. I prefer MP4 so I can play them in my iPod.

Then open the file in for example Mplayer OSX 2.... and Voila..

Please note that this has worked with all the files that I have tried... But I'm not promising anything.

The trick to viewing MKV files is to use Perian or VLC as others have mentioned. There is no need to re-encode them unless you want to put them on your iPod. MKV is a fine format, since it is open and uses x264 it produces quite high-quality rips. I personally prefer h264 mp4 since that is immediately compatible with Quicktime (ergo Front Row) and is more easily transfered to other macs that might not have perian or vlc.

chaos86
Nov 13, 2007, 06:11 PM
I know I risk sounding like a fan boy by saying this but why the heck can't everybody just realize that h.264 is the best codec out there? It has the best quatily per byte and it scales the best so why does anyone even bother with this other crap? The only players that can't play it are older ones that don't have the processing power, and in those cases people should fall back to the previous best standard which was mpeg4. I know nobody pikes a monopoly, but there are cases where one standard should be universally accepted, like h.264, aac (for lossy compression), usb, dvi, imap, etc. I shouldn't have to deal with real media format, ogg vorbis, usb-b and mini-usb, apple display connector (thank god), etc just because some random company wants to make their own standard. I know there are some good alternatives (xvid, ogg) but come on, give up, you lost.

Sorry i ranted in your thread. Bring on the flames.

Eidorian
Nov 13, 2007, 06:29 PM
I know I risk sounding like a fan boy by saying this but why the heck can't everybody just realize that h.264 is the best codec out there? It has the best quatily per byte and it scales the best so why does anyone even bother with this other crap? The only players that can't play it are older ones that don't have the processing power, and in those cases people should fall back to the previous best standard which was mpeg4. I know nobody pikes a monopoly, but there are cases where one standard should be universally accepted, like h.264, aac (for lossy compression), usb, dvi, imap, etc. I shouldn't have to deal with real media format, ogg vorbis, usb-b and mini-usb, apple display connector (thank god), etc just because some random company wants to make their own standard. I know there are some good alternatives (xvid, ogg) but come on, give up, you lost.

Sorry i ranted in your thread. Bring on the flames.MKV isn't a codec it's a container format.

Oh look, h.264. :rolleyes:

chaos86
Nov 13, 2007, 06:41 PM
MKV isn't a codec it's a container format.

Oh look, h.264. :rolleyes:

well I think you can tell from my post that its not mkv I hate, its people and companies who choose to use non standard stuff when the standard is free, superior, and available to all. Codec or container, Mkv is clearly not a good choice and companies who use it will be on my personal boycott list.

They should have used h.264 in mp4.

Eidorian
Nov 13, 2007, 06:46 PM
well I think you can tell from my post that its not mkv I hate, its people and companies who choose to use non standard stuff when the standard is free, superior, and available to all.I believe that the use of .mkv in the fan subbing community comes from the fact that it's GNU LGPL and it supports soft subs. OGM was the previous standard for multi-audio video and subtitles even if it was a hack job.

Can you think of any other free and standard solutions?

Codec or container, Mkv is clearly not a good choice and companies who use it will be on my personal boycott list.Quite true when dealing with proprietary and even open source formats.

Cave Man
Nov 25, 2007, 10:28 PM
I like that I can use Handbrake to rip an mkv H.264 file from a DVD and preserve the AC3 Dolby Digital 5.1 audio for playback with VLC (with my Onkyo system). I wish there were an easy way to do the same with QT-compatible files - does such a method exist? It'd be nice do easily generate DD files for the Apple TV, even if it meant pulling its drive to install Perian or something.

Kilamite
Nov 26, 2007, 10:47 AM
I remember when I downloaded Lost in Hi-Definition it was a .mkv file. The file was about 1.07GB's, but the detail was amazing.

My old HP laptop couldn't play the file smoothly, was very stuttery. My Mac plays it smooth and fine. I used VLC Player to play it.

I don't know what codec it is though.

Eidorian
Nov 26, 2007, 11:04 AM
I remember when I downloaded Lost in Hi-Definition it was a .mkv file. The file was about 1.07GB's, but the detail was amazing.

My old HP laptop couldn't play the file smoothly, was very stuttery. My Mac plays it smooth and fine. I used VLC Player to play it.

I don't know what codec it is though.More then likely h.264.

Kilamite
Nov 26, 2007, 11:39 AM
AVC1 is the video codec, 1280x720 resolution.

stupidregister
Nov 26, 2007, 02:20 PM
well I think you can tell from my post that its not mkv I hate, its people and companies who choose to use non standard stuff when the standard is free, superior, and available to all. Codec or container, Mkv is clearly not a good choice and companies who use it will be on my personal boycott list.

They should have used h.264 in mp4.

Then you should be arguing for Apple to support the Ogg container and its free codecs by default. H.264 is patented and requires possible fees. And thus if free and standard are the criteria, Ogg would be the better choice.

bija
Jul 16, 2009, 05:32 PM
I was using VLC to view MKV videos but it could be jerky and problematic. I discovered that with the MPEG2 plug-in with QuickTime Pro, I am able to open MKV video in QuickTime and Save as a MOV. What I often do then, is transfer the MOV video to my TiVo which converts it to MPEG2 and it looks great on the big screen. I haven't had any viewing problems with MKV video doing it that way, but I admit it takes longer to transfer the video to the TiVo than it does to watch it.
Linda

Hi,

I notice that MKV files are getting more and more popular around us.
But it looks that these files are not supported very well on MAC.
As far as I know, the only software to decode Real Media File is RealPlayer, and RealPlayer do not support MKV files. So ...!!

Does anyone have an idea to deal with MKV files?

Thanks in advance.

Elitward

illegallydead
Jul 16, 2009, 06:25 PM
I was using VLC to view MKV videos but it could be jerky and problematic. I discovered that with the MPEG2 plug-in with QuickTime Pro, I am able to open MKV video in QuickTime and Save as a MOV. What I often do then, is transfer the MOV video to my TiVo which converts it to MPEG2 and it looks great on the big screen. I haven't had any viewing problems with MKV video doing it that way, but I admit it takes longer to transfer the video to the TiVo than it does to watch it.
Linda

Haha wow way to resurrect a year and a half old topic. LOL. :rolleyes:

Jmouse
Apr 12, 2011, 01:30 AM
Sorry had to bring out an old thread.

Recently ive got some .mkv file movies. i tried to play them on my Powerbook G4 1.67 2g Ram.

Its very jerky, now ive did my research and found out a few solutions.

VLC setting
Mplayer ( which i cant get it to play mkv file at all, it wont play. avis are fine.)
Got the Quicktime plugin Swiss knife.

none of those helps. It is still very jerky.

Now im thinking whether if my powerbook G4 is too slow to handle HD movies.
But i can watch HD movies in Mp4 format. ( still heavy load if i tries to do something else at the same time.)

So is there anyway to fix this problem?
Or should i convert the .mkv into .mp4 or .avi. ( will the quality of the movie reduce by converting it to a different format?)

Thanks in advance guys for your help.

kuwisdelu
Apr 12, 2011, 02:47 AM
It's difficult to say without know what the codec of the video is inside the mkv. Both mkv and mp4 are both just movie containers for video and audio. That said, many players on Macs tend to handle mp4 containers better.

If the video codec inside the mkv is using H.264 or some other MPEG video codec, you should be able to use a program like Subler of MKVTools (I'm sorry, I don't remember if these have PPC binaries) to remux the video and audio into an mp4, which may improve playback. This won't lose any video quality.

There are a few different MPlayer front-ends for OS X. Which are you using?

That's a pretty old Mac for playing HD video, though, and I have no idea if the tools I generally throw at mkv's are available for PPC hardware. :/

Jmouse
Apr 12, 2011, 04:14 AM
It's difficult to say without know what the codec of the video is inside the mkv. Both mkv and mp4 are both just movie containers for video and audio. That said, many players on Macs tend to handle mp4 containers better.

If the video codec inside the mkv is using H.264 or some other MPEG video codec, you should be able to use a program like Subler of MKVTools (I'm sorry, I don't remember if these have PPC binaries) to remux the video and audio into an mp4, which may improve playback. This won't lose any video quality.

There are a few different MPlayer front-ends for OS X. Which are you using?

That's a pretty old Mac for playing HD video, though, and I have no idea if the tools I generally throw at mkv's are available for PPC hardware. :/

First of all, thanks for your input.

Id like to know if there is anyway to find out what codec the actual file is?

Im using 10.5.8. on PPC G4, used to be on Tiger but ive updated it recently.

Mplayer that im using on PPC is Mplayer 2.0 OSX, It will play most of the other files but when i drag my mkv movie in it , it wont play at all.

can i use program like Handbreak to reconvert?

chaos86
Apr 12, 2011, 05:54 AM
In my experience, any G4 will have trouble with 1080p HD video. The minimum for smooth 1080p is about 2ghz dual core/processor.

Jmouse
Apr 12, 2011, 06:17 AM
In my experience, any G4 will have trouble with 1080p HD video. The minimum for smooth 1080p is about 2ghz dual core/processor.

well technically the file i was trying to play is 720p

i guess my "top of the range g4" isnt good enough ahha.

chaos86
Apr 12, 2011, 06:18 AM
well technically the file i was trying to play is 720p

i guess my "top of the range g4" isnt good enough ahha.

Yep, you bought the last of a dying breed.

Jmouse
Apr 12, 2011, 04:47 PM
Yep, you bought the last of a dying breed.

yes , so does anyone having ttrouble like me?

GimmeSlack12
Apr 12, 2011, 04:53 PM
i tried to play them on my Powerbook G4 1.67 2g Ram.

That's your problem. Your computer just can't handle MKV's. Sorry.
My HTPC Mini G4/1.5GHz went up for sale when I came to this conclusion.

Jmouse
Apr 12, 2011, 06:05 PM
That's your problem. Your computer just can't handle MKV's. Sorry.
My HTPC Mini G4/1.5GHz went up for sale when I came to this conclusion.

Thats all i need to know. Thanks

Can anyone support this?

Hastings101
Apr 12, 2011, 06:27 PM
VLC can pretty much playing everything you throw at it. I love it :D

kuwisdelu
Apr 12, 2011, 07:28 PM
First of all, thanks for your input.

Id like to know if there is anyway to find out what codec the actual file is?

Im using 10.5.8. on PPC G4, used to be on Tiger but ive updated it recently.

Mplayer that im using on PPC is Mplayer 2.0 OSX, It will play most of the other files but when i drag my mkv movie in it , it wont play at all.

can i use program like Handbreak to reconvert?

Get Info when you have the movie open in QuickTime to see whether it's H.264 (or any older MPEG codec). Check the bit rate when you do this, too.

If it's H.264 or some other MPEG codec, you can remux it to mp4 without converting the video. (Converting would take forever on your machine.) If you have other 720p mp4's of a similar bitrate that play decently, then you may be able to play it better as an mp4.

I know MKVTools has an older version on the download page that still works with PPC. Subler only says "10.5 or higher," so I'm not sure if it's universal or not.

You can use either of these to mux it into an mp4, which shouldn't take too long even on a G4.

If that still doesn't work, you can use Handbrake or something to downconvert it to SD. Converting to a lesser resolution will still take a while for you, but will be significantly faster than trying to keep it 720p.

Lots of programs can handle videos in mp4's a little easier than in mkv's, even though the codec inside is exactly the same. Since mkv's can hold many more formats and tracks, they need to be handle a little more carefully. Aside from the container, H.264 is a more advanced codec than older MPEG codecs, and if it's using High Profile settings or other complex features, you may still not have much luck, since the more complex compression algorithms require more horsepower to decode.

Yokocapolo
Sep 22, 2011, 07:47 AM
For some reason I have never been able to get VLC to play sound on any video file on my MacBook Pro, however I have found a way to play .mkv files without having to download/install anything.
As far as I'm aware this is only possible on Lion OS X 10.7.1. I did not try it with Snow Leopard.
Just select the .mkv file in the Finder and hit the spacebar to active "quick look" or click on the "quick look" button.
Wa La it plays the .mkv file with picture and sound. Only down side is it has minimal playback and sound options you can fast forward and reverse play by moving the slider but thats about it.

Madd the Sane
Sep 22, 2011, 09:40 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Perian should still be able to make QuickTime play MKV and MKA files just fine. If you do have a problem, try using QuickTime Player 7.

Yokocapolo
Dec 30, 2011, 04:36 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Perian should still be able to make QuickTime play MKV and MKA files just fine. If you do have a problem, try using QuickTime Player 7.

For some reason QuickTime Player 7, doesn't play .mkv files on my MacBook Pro. I have search for a solution, but I have not been able to find answer to the problem. I shall just stick to watching them in quick view; it does the job.

Cave Man
Dec 30, 2011, 07:23 PM
Install mplayer extended or VLC.

LeandrodaFL
Jan 1, 2012, 03:25 PM
Here is the definitive answer:

In order to play MKV files simply install VLC player AND Divx player. VLX will play 99% of MKV files. For the ocasional one wich it doesnt, divx player will 100% play it. I only recomend VLC first, because divx player for mac has a terrible interface.

givelovesolong
Feb 28, 2012, 08:40 AM
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone had some information that could possibly explain and resolve some of the troubles I've been having with VLC Player when using it to play .mkv files.

Mostly, VLC handles them fine -- audio and picture quality are fantastic when it's working without fault. However, there are a couple of instances where the picture will get pixelated and show green squares and eventually cause the video to show a grey screen. This occurs when I pause the video file and go through "frame by frame", and when I move the slider or click to another point in the file (also when paused). Once I hit "play" again, the picture will go back to normal after a cut in the scene. I've taken a couple of screencaps to try and demonstrate my issues:

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb473/givelovesolong/OTHER-VLCIssue01.png

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb473/givelovesolong/OTHER-VLCIssue02.png

One other issue I've had pertains to the audio. Whether the file is paused or not, when I move the slider along to another point in time in the video, the audio takes a while to cut back in. If I moved from 02:42, for example, up to 15:47, the footage resumes playback immediately, but it wouldn't be until after about 3 seconds or so (sometimes more) that the audio picks up again, too.

I'm running a 2011 MPB with the 2.3GHz Core i7 processor and 8GB RAM; specifications I feel are more than adequate to handle 720p files, right? And I have Perian installed. Am I missing something?

Would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
GLSL

simsaladimbamba
Feb 28, 2012, 08:42 AM
VLC can play .mkv files without Perian installed, as Perian is for the QuickTime Player and QT dependant applications.

Anyway, tried Movist (http://code.google.com/p/movist/) yet to play such troublesome .mkv files?

PS: As .mkv files use an MPEG-4 codec like H.264 or x.264, frame precise navigation is quite a hassle, as MPEG-4 is a codec, which stores only keyframes, meaning only every xth frame is stored completely, but the frames between keyframes get interpolated (calculated).

The latest beta of MPEG Streamclip (http://www.squared5.com/) can help you with frame precise control, but it is not a video player.

givelovesolong
Feb 28, 2012, 09:08 AM
Oh, wow. Thanks for the speedy reply, sim.

Just gave Movist a go and I can scan through the video without problem (would it be worth purchasing the $4.99 version from the app store, then?). It wouldn't allow me to move between the previous and next frames, however. Any ideas on why that might be?

And I wonder if you'd be able to advise me on the screenshot function? Is it capable of taking them and storing them as well as VLC Player does? I couldn't find the option to dictate where a screenshot should be saved, or what the shortcut for taking one is, either.

Add to all that, I'm not sure I understand what MPEG Streamclip does. Is it like a codec for precise frame control?

Thanks for your help!

simsaladimbamba
Feb 28, 2012, 09:31 AM
Oh, wow. Thanks for the speedy reply, sim.

Just gave Movist a go and I can scan through the video without problem (would it be worth purchasing the $4.99 version from the app store, then?).
That is up to you, I still use the free version I linked to without problems.

It wouldn't allow me to move between the previous and next frames, however. Any ideas on why that might be?
That works if you change the playback engine to QuickTime via the circled button on the top right of the Movist window:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10644330/MR_Image_Hotlinks/MR_screenshots/MR_screenshots_2012_02/2012_02_28_pC1_Movist_ChangePlayBackEngine.png

And I wonder if you'd be able to advise me on the screenshot function? Is it capable of taking them and storing them as well as VLC Player does? I couldn't find the option to dictate where a screenshot should be saved, or what the shortcut for taking one is, either.
CMD+I or Movie > Save Current Image works and stores a PNG file on the Desktop. I don't know, if one can change the output folder, but one can change the output format in Preferences > Advanced > Details > Video > Capture Format.

Add to all that, I'm not sure I understand what MPEG Streamclip does. Is it like a codec for precise frame control?
It is not a codec:
MPEG Streamclip is a powerful free video converter, player, editor for Mac and Windows. It can play many movie files, not only MPEGs; it can convert MPEG files between muxed/demuxed formats for authoring; it can encode movies to many formats, including iPod; it can cut, trim and join movies. MPEG Streamclip can also download videos from YouTube and Google by entering the page URL.

AdrianK
Feb 28, 2012, 09:42 AM
PS: As .mkv files use an MPEG-4 codec like H.264 or x.264...
Just an fyi, you can pack virtually anything in to MKV (MPEG-2, VC-1, h263 etc).

givelovesolong
Feb 28, 2012, 09:47 AM
Okay, thank you very much for all that. I might do a little reading and see if it's worth purchasing Movist, but for now the free version seems perfect.

Thanks again for all your help, sim. Much appreciated. :)

simsaladimbamba
Feb 28, 2012, 10:15 AM
Just an fyi, you can pack virtually anything in to MKV (MPEG-2, VC-1, h263 etc).

I know, but thanks for mentioning it. But today most distributed .mkv files use some MPEG-4 variant, thus my general statement.

Eidorian
Feb 28, 2012, 12:05 PM
I shyed away from Movist a few years ago and long before I knew it was back on the Mac Application Store.

VLC 2.0.0 has step up with improvements and I have MplayerX (http://mplayerx.org/downloads/MPlayerX-1.0.13.zip) as a fall back.