Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
A while ago, a number of companies started using glossy LCDs in combination with brighter backlighting. (Sony calls this XBrite on theirs.)

The brighter backlight, following a trend with LCDs since they were invented, makes LCDs clearer and more visible. The glossy coating helped consumers recognize the difference at-a-glance in stores.

The MacBook Pro used the same backlighting, but not the gloss. So many people didn't notice, until they put them side by side with PowerBooks.

The disadvantage of a glossy coating is that it can increase the glare from bright overhead lights or the sun. Hence, it is now available on the MacBook Pro, but only as an option.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
I'm sure we'll see this thread everyday now until infinity...

I thought it was a cheap gimmick by the PC manufacturers... guess I need to rethink this one.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
According to Apple "choose the glossy widescreen display to make your graphics, photos, and videos appear with richer color and deeper blacks - great for watching DVD movies. If you prefer a display with anti-glare coating for a matte rather than glossy viewing experience, choose the standard widescreen display."

I do think the colors appear richer and bolder, but that's just my opinion. I think this is the future of LCDs; I went to Costco today and all of their laptop models (varying brands) all had glossy screens.
I think glossy has become popular because with brighter backlights, the anti-glare coatings aren't as important, and the glossy provides better color contrast.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
This is probably an obvious question, but why would a "pro" want matte? Less distracting? In the right environment, wouldn't glossy be good?

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
EricNau said:
According to Apple "choose the glossy widescreen display to make your graphics, photos, and videos appear with richer color and deeper blacks - great for watching DVD movies. If you prefer a display with anti-glare coating for a matte rather than glossy viewing experience, choose the standard widescreen display."

I do think the colors appear richer and bolder, but that's just my opinion. I think this is the future of LCDs; I went to Costco today and all of their laptop models (varying brands) all had glossy screens.
I think glossy has become popular because with brighter backlights, the anti-glare coatings aren't as important, and the glossy provides better color contrast.
That is correct, the coating increases contrast to give you deep blacks that in most cases are impossible to achieve with uncoated LCD screens. Personally that's a huge advantage for me because I'm a stickler about deep blacks, but the glare is the main drawback and especially for a laptop where you don't know what environments you'll end up using it in. One of the other disadvantages can be color inaccuracy -- something that Apple made a point of discussing with regard to why they waited on the gloss screens, so I'm hopeful they've found a coating system that minimizes color distortion. Haven't seen one yet but I'm going to head over to the Apple store tomorrow to check them out in person. Also wonder how easy it'll be to keep them clean. If I could just get people to stop jabbing their damn grimy paws into my screen, it'd be a lot easier.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
HiRez said:
Also wonder how easy it'll be to keep them clean. If I could just get people to stop jabbing their damn grimy paws into my screen, it'd be a lot easier.

THANK YOU!

Why the hell is it that people thinks it is ok to make a verbal point WITH THEIR FINGERS HITTING THE SCREEN!??????? How god damn stupid are they? This is why I don't like other people and stay inside all day with my drapes shut.

Wouldn't it be easier to clean (not keep clean) since I would worry less about scratching it with a cloth than the matte screen...?

jaisai01

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2006
i wonder tho how it will be affective to ppl using PS or other photo programs when you calibrate your screen to be insync with your colors. i have heard it can be a nightmare.. plz advise
thanks
arul

tektonnic

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Bucks, UK
As the convergence of computers as film/tv viewing devices becomes more mainstream it perhaps seems logical to create screens closer to what people currently watch such media on, ie. a tv, which has a 'glossy' screen.

admiraldennis

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2002
Boston, MA
dferrara said:
This is probably an obvious question, but why would a "pro" want matte? Less distracting? In the right environment, wouldn't glossy be good?

Because a "pro" would know that matte has more accurate and consistant color representation and are easier to calibrate.

I'm getting matte because I hate glare.

Otto Rehhagel

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2005
admiraldennis said:
I'm getting matte because I hate glare.

This guy also seem to hate glare.

link

I get the feeling that Steve has picked form over function in this case. (probably cost over both form & function)

p.s. The glossy border on my iMac G5 is very reflective/annoying. I thank Apple for not making glossy iMac screens yet. Only a matter of time until they do, I guess.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Otto Rehhagel said:
This guy also seem to hate glare.

link
One thing about the pictures that Siracusa has in that article however is that all the pictures are taken at an angle. Any Physicist should be able to tell you that surfaces are more reflective when viewed from an angle, viewed face on the effect of the reflections is likely to be much less obvious.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
dr_lha said:
One thing about the pictures that Siracusa has in that article however is that all the pictures are taken at an angle. Any Physicist should be able to tell you that surfaces are more reflective when viewed from an angle, viewed face on the effect of the reflections is likely to be much less obvious.
Not necessarily true. The reflections will come from wherever the light sources are. Angle of incidence = angle of reflection an all that. But, it does look like he purposefully placed/turned it to show a lot of glare (and that was actually the whole point of the article, so...)

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
HiRez said:
Not necessarily true.
Yes it is, the amount of light reflected by glass as opposed to that passing through is higher at lower incidence angles.

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
seems to me that glossy would be bad because didn't we go to the matte screens to try to combat glare? anyway, i haven't seen it in person but i will probably make my way to the apple store in downtown portland tomorrow.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Koodauw said:
I get all my photo's in matte, which I much prefer. Glad my MPB comes with matte standard.

Exactly. Me too.

Just because TV's are glossy, doesn't mean that laptop/computer screens should be!

With a laptop especially, you inherently sit closer to it, where, at least in my opinion, you want a more natural (read: less-contrasty), LESS bright, easier on your eyes screen.(IMO ;))

If all you are doing is watching DVDs at 5 feet, then: fine, get the gloss. But this is, and should be, first and foremost a COMPUTER.

And another thing: They already made the the screen x times brighter than the previous generation - why on earth do they need to make them glossy too? Make it an OPTION for christ's sake.

In low light, at 1-4bars, my PB is already more than bright enough. I would not want the low end of the scale any brighter.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
I saw one yesterday at my local Apple store, a well light store with a huge window for plenty of potential light sources. I moved the Macbook around to position it in a number of ways to see how the whole reflection/glare issue struck me.

The reflection issue is way over rated I think.

willgr

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2006
best to see in person, not like most PC laptops

So I'm probably the worst stickler about problems with a laptop and have been through about 7-8 of them in the last six months and unhappy with them all. IBM, Toshiba, HP, 4 Dells, and one MacBook Pro, so I feel I have to speak up and stress that you really should go down and look at the MacBook before making up your mind about the screen. I have had mine for about 24 hours and, in my opinion, this is the least reflective of any "glossy" screen you will see on the market - bar none.

Using it straight on in any type of light is not a problem to me and it is much easier to read than the matte MBP screen. You may still dis-like it, but take a look first because this is a first rate laptop.

...except for the heat, slight mooing and whining :)

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
willgr said:
So I'm probably the worst stickler about problems with a laptop and have been through about 7-8 of them in the last six months and unhappy with them all. IBM, Toshiba, HP, 4 Dells, and one MacBook Pro, so I feel I have to speak up and stress that you really should go down and look at the MacBook before making up your mind about the screen. I have had mine for about 24 hours and, in my opinion, this is the least reflective of any "glossy" screen you will see on the market - bar none.

Using it straight on in any type of light is not a problem to me and it is much easier to read than the matte MBP screen. You may still dis-like it, but take a look first because this is a first rate laptop.

...except for the heat, slight mooing and whining :)

I really agree with you here. I was checking out the macbook at the apple store as well and the glossy screen is far less glossy than the pc laptops. Its sort of like this if anyone here knows metal polish. The pc screen gloss is like chrome and the macbook gloss is like polished aluminum. Basically the chrome is much more mirrored and the polished aluminum is more of a brushed shine. Its much less intense. If you get that then great if not go look at them in person. I also agree with the above statement on the heat! This thing is very warm, in fact it was running hotter than the MBP's.

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
CaptainCaveMann said:
I really agree with you here. I was checking out the macbook at the apple store as well and the glossy screen is far less glossy than the pc laptops. Its sort of like this if anyone here knows metal polish. The pc screen gloss is like chrome and the macbook gloss is like polished aluminum. Basically the chrome is much more mirrored and the polished aluminum is more of a brushed shine. Its much less intense. If you get that then great if not go look at them in person. I also agree with the above statement on the heat! This thing is very warm, in fact it was running hotter than the MBP's.

i'm glad to hear that... i love everything about the MacBooks except this. i really wish they would have offered a matte option, but i guess they guessed (probably correctly) that most of the MacBook purchasers would want glossy, so they saved costs by only offering one option.

however, if what you're saying is true, i'd probably pick the glossy anyway, so i guess i need to go look at it myself!

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
zach said:
i'm glad to hear that... i love everything about the MacBooks except this. i really wish they would have offered a matte option, but i guess they guessed (probably correctly) that most of the MacBook purchasers would want glossy, so they saved costs by only offering one option.

however, if what you're saying is true, i'd probably pick the glossy anyway, so i guess i need to go look at it myself!

Ya it looks pretty good, id go check it out and see for yourself. :D

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
Yeah the glossy screen on my black macbook is a pain. But oh how I love spending only $1400 GOV DISCOUNT on a dual core notebook that runs windows and OSX. Using XP right now. Did some project work on it and took it to a demo today. Little macbook did very well, even with 512 ram. 2gb on its way from newegg. Nice machine.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Even though you all say that the screen is fine at the Apple store, that's not to say that they use different lighting at the store than at your house, school, classroom, office, etc. where there could be a problem with glare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.