Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
We all know keeping your software up-to-date is important, bug fixes come along, as well as security patches. Apple has provided a mechanism for keeping your system software up-to-date, and until now there was no quick, simple, painless way of making sure you had the latest version of all your software! Renew aims to simplify your experience, and save you time by keeping track of updates to your 3rd party software, and allowing you to download these updates just like Apples Software Update!

http://www.myndlinksw.com/

See this MacRumors story for discussion on this sort of feature possibly coming from Apple.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
thanks arn, i have been pretty happy with apples software update and have it set to ask me first. some updates are great others need a little work that why i let it tell me then i make the decision.Now anymore news on the 970?

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Nice idea, but is it supposed to crash your system prefs, and when it actually loads , it is supposed to sit there and do something?

nice but not ready yet

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Eeeek, a public beta!!

I'll let the ubergeeks play with that one for a while...I've only recently installed (total clean install...wiped the hard drive and everything!) OS X 10.2.3 on my TiBook and I'm happier than a pig in slop with how everything works.

Interesting name, "Renew". And from the posts above, it seems appropriately named, given what happens to those who choose to "Renew" at Carousel instead of choosing to "run".

...or am I the only one here who remembers Logan's Run?:)

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Okay, I figured out part of the problem (or maybe I just didn't read the readme), you have to drag applications you want it to look for updates for into the Current Installation tab's window. Now I just have to get it to run more than once, and figure out where it downloads to...

For those who it crashes System Preferences, do you have any other 3rd-party prefpanes installed?

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by GeeYouEye
Okay, I figured out part of the problem (or maybe I just didn't read the readme), you have to drag applications you want it to look for updates for into the Current Installation tab's window. Now I just have to get it to run more than once, and figure out where it downloads to...

For those who it crashes System Preferences, do you have any other 3rd-party prefpanes installed?

For the last part i have no haxies the worst thing I did to my system was to install Konfabulator (it isn't bad).

It crashs or fails to open and then quits... no 3ed party stuff at all.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i have also found a problem with installing milk and duality on a new mac. i installed it on my new g4 and it hosed it. i thought it was hardware. i had finally given up. until i got my 12 inch powerbook in the mail. i installed milk and duality 4 and it hosed my powerbook. i finally figured out that i think that milk and duality screw up new macs that dont boot into 9. anyone else gotten it work on their machine?

iJon

myndlinksw

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2003
San Francisco, California
Whoa, didn't know this thread existed.

System Prefs Crashes: I apologize for that, I'm not positive what version you were all using, but everything should be really smooth next version. (I know what was causing the pane not to load, and I fixed it :)

If you haven't looked at the project info in a while, I was using MacUpdate to get information, but they asked me not to, so I have started my own database (which is coming along nicely). It should all be ready to go in early May.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
great, i look forward to using it, just let us know when its does. is there a way you can get to sync with versiontracker since macupdate wont let you.

iJon

myndlinksw

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2003
I'm actually not going to use anyone elses db. The database I've got setup is actually a *lot* faster than using MacUpdate/VersionTracker. Especially since it would mean I'd have to parse through HTML, and if they changed something, it would break.

I started my own database, and really all that's left is to saturate it with information. If you've got an app you can submit it w/ this form:

http://www.myndlinksw.com/developersubmit.html

or, just email me the info. Make sure you include all the items that are on the form though :). So, the wait time -> May is just to get the database going. Inevitably there will be applications that I haven't gotten put in there initially, so if you add something and it can't be found a sheet pops up and lets you email me the names of the applications.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
so basically you have to keep track of all new apps, or someone has to email them to you. sounds good, hope it goes through because i hate going through versiontracker to find new updates. if you ever need a beta tester let me know, i would be more than willing.

iJon

myndlinksw

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2003
Yea, you just drag the app to my prefPane and it will tell you when there are updates/let you download it. It works exactly like SoftwareUpdate, kinda magic like :). I'm going to need beta testers in a few weeks, so email me, and you can be one of 'em. matt at myndlinksw.com

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by myndlinksw
Yea, you just drag the app to my prefPane and it will tell you when there are updates/let you download it. It works exactly like SoftwareUpdate, kinda magic like :). I'm going to need beta testers in a few weeks, so email me, and you can be one of 'em. matt at myndlinksw.com

I'm stummped, there is no download?
:confused:

So basically intill the database gets programs you are stopping the project...?

1)
You need an area that tells us what programs are in the database... etc.

edit: you've got mail

myndlinksw

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2003
Well, I'm not stopping the project since I'm still working on it ;). But yes, there is no dowload right now. I'm finishing up some things with the database code, and adding some tweaks to the application. The beta will be ready to go in a few weeks(2-3).

The project will be in beta until I get the application running smoothly for everyone, and handle any design flaws.

I will email everyone who has emailed me when the beta is ready to go :). This isn't going to have a permanent web-based interface, but for the beta, I'll try to whip something up so that testers can see what is/isn't in the db.

-Matt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.