PDA

View Full Version : PS3 20 GB version IS Upgradeable --- somewhat

Sea5onS
May 17, 2006, 04:58 AM
Everyone click on over to here: http://www.clubskill.com/Game_News/3494/Sony%20dismisses%20PS3%20rumours

Notably:
1.) Indeed you will be able to use wireless controllers w/ the "retard pack"
2.) You can upgrade/install a newer, larger hard drive. It can be almost any pc or laptop hard drive, and you won't lose any functionality.
3.) You will be able to use SD and CF cards.

I'm still not going to get a PS3 at that price ($499.99 is STILL too much for me), but at least this means that the "retard pack" isn't ENTIRELY retarded.

BUT YOU DEFINITELY STILL LOSE HDMI OUTPUT, which means that you get at best 540p playback for your Blu-Ray (due to copy protection restraints), unless you buy the premium PS3.

Copy protection, now there is a battlefield kind of topic. It's amazing how the "possibility" of piracy (and not any concrete actuality of it) is causing legislation and rulings that are really hurting innovation and our "fair use" rights. But this is for another thread, another forum, another day. But do check out www.eff.org if you're interested in this stuff.

Sea5onS
May 17, 2006, 05:20 AM
Also, go here: http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20060516112640281005&sectionId=1006&releaseId=20060314132311609002

gamesradar was the source in the original thread about this and the link above is a 3-day-later post clearing up the constant confusion.

The consensus seems to be that Sony has been pretty confused and confusing regarding the SKUs. A lot of (forgive me) "flip-flopping" on what is actually included/possible with a given version of the PS3. It's either bad bad bad PR people, badly designed console, or both.

To give you a sense of the mass confusion, check out this quote from the article:

"Further PS3 uncertainty was created last week when it emerged that third-party developers - including behemoths such as EA - didn't even know about the new PS3 tilt pad until Sony's pre-E3 conference last Monday (8 May). Even after that, some developers still didn't even realise that the new pad no longer included a vibrate function."

Answer me this: WHAT HAS SONY BEEN DOING THE PAST YEAR (AND MORE)????

Procrastinating?

How can they NOT have their system figured out when it's going to launch in about 180 DAYS? It's sad.

Haoshiro
May 17, 2006, 06:11 AM
Sounds to me like the Wi-Fi/Card Reader bit is talking about external USB devices.

As for the harddrive, I am still skeptical for a number of reasons:
1. Opening console machines usually voids your warranty.
2. You have to open the console, meaning not everyone will be able/willing to do this. (see #1)

Dagless
May 17, 2006, 06:26 AM
Sounds to me like the Wi-Fi/Card Reader bit is talking about external USB devices.

As for the harddrive, I am still skeptical for a number of reasons:
1. Opening console machines usually voids your warranty.
2. You have to open the console, meaning not everyone will be able/willing to do this. (see #1)

Yup. But also these HDD always cost that little bit more. As in 100 for a 20gb Xbox HDD. I can get a 100gb laptop HDD for the same price.

Haoshiro
May 17, 2006, 06:39 AM
I agree the 360 HDD is overpriced, but not as badly as you'd think. It's essentially an external harddrive, and those have always costed more. One of the better deals I could find on an external 20GB HDD around here is $75 (online).

saunders45
May 17, 2006, 07:18 AM
Plus, isn't the 360 HDD SATA?

Dagless
May 17, 2006, 08:36 AM
SATA external enclosure- 25
20gb laptop HDD- 40
= 65

Why do Microsoft charge 100 for it?
for 100 you can get a FireWire 250gb external drive.

Haoshiro
May 17, 2006, 09:08 AM
I don't know where you get the price of a 250GB for that price, but sounds like a good deal.

But we are talking (in terms of 360) a custom enclosure, etc. The price I quote ($75) is for just such a device; not simply a USB enclosure for a laptop harddrive, which yes, would be cheaper (I picked up an enclosure for ~$10).

EDIT: And I used the enclosure with a spare 20GB HDD, put my music on it, and connected it to my 360 :D

MacRumorUser
May 17, 2006, 10:15 AM
SATA external enclosure- 25
20gb laptop HDD- 40
= 65

Why do Microsoft charge 100 for it?
for 100 you can get a FireWire 250gb external drive.

Sorry mate, but isnt the RRP by M$ 69.99 but most retailers have it for 64.99

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/GENBRW/3-/719740/Official_XBox_360_Hard_Drive/Product.html

So it's not too off the mark :o

Haoshiro
May 17, 2006, 10:19 AM

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/GENBRW/3-/719740/Official_XBox_360_Hard_Drive/Product.html

Wow, that's new... I thought pricing usually "matched" the USD 1:1 as in $100/100 (which obviously rips off those in the UK).

Dagless
May 17, 2006, 10:44 AM

Ah, I thought it was 100. nevermunt!

However. an 80gb SATA drive is 39 and an enclosure at 27 (from http://www.planetmicro.co.uk/). tallies up to 66
Suppose its not bad for the money, but they could squeeze in a higher capacity drive. I mean these are shop prices after all.

Haoshiro
May 17, 2006, 10:58 AM

However. an 80gb SATA drive is 39 and an enclosure at 27 (from http://www.planetmicro.co.uk/). tallies up to 66
Suppose its not bad for the money, but they could squeeze in a higher capacity drive. I mean these are shop prices after all.

I haven't even need more then 20GB personally... esp with Connect360/WMConnect... and that my music is already on an external USB HDD.

Not sure who will need more then 20GB unless they are: 1) putting all their music on the system, 2) Never deleting downloaded demos/trailers. 3) Intend to buy every Live Arcade game ever released.

greatdevourer
May 17, 2006, 10:58 AM

Suppose its not bad for the money, but they could squeeze in a higher capacity drive. I mean these are shop prices after all. Ah, but that 80GB SATA probably isn't a 2.5" (I'm guessing - didn't follow up link)

MacRumorUser
May 17, 2006, 12:15 PM
Wow, that's new... I thought pricing usually "matched" the USD 1:1 as in $100/£100 (which obviously rips off those in the UK).

Nah your thinking of Euro's.

We always get the 1:1 ratio though its still a 20% ripoff going on exchange rates...

Oh and the 80 on that site is for 3.5" drive.

God I'm being a stick in the mud today arent I ;)

GFLPraxis
May 17, 2006, 01:31 PM
Also, go here: http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20060516112640281005&sectionId=1006&releaseId=20060314132311609002

gamesradar was the source in the original thread about this and the link above is a 3-day-later post clearing up the constant confusion.

The consensus seems to be that Sony has been pretty confused and confusing regarding the SKUs. A lot of (forgive me) "flip-flopping" on what is actually included/possible with a given version of the PS3. It's either bad bad bad PR people, badly designed console, or both.

To give you a sense of the mass confusion, check out this quote from the article:

"Further PS3 uncertainty was created last week when it emerged that third-party developers - including behemoths such as EA - didn't even know about the new PS3 tilt pad until Sony's pre-E3 conference last Monday (8 May). Even after that, some developers still didn't even realise that the new pad no longer included a vibrate function."

Answer me this: WHAT HAS SONY BEEN DOING THE PAST YEAR (AND MORE)????

Procrastinating?

How can they NOT have their system figured out when it's going to launch in about 180 DAYS? It's sad.

A few things to keep in mind:

The lawsuit over the rumble in the PS2 is a fairly recent thing, so Sony may have only recently decided to remove it, or they may have been testing the battery life and decided it wasn't worth it. Also, Nintendo only announced the Wii controller last fall, so Sony hasn't had that much time to decide to copy the idea ( ;) ). And devs didn't even know about the speaker in the Wii controller (or WiiConnect24) until Nintendo's conference (so said the devs I talked to at Blitz).

GFLPraxis
May 17, 2006, 01:33 PM
BUT YOU DEFINITELY STILL LOSE HDMI OUTPUT, which means that you get at best 540p playback for your Blu-Ray (due to copy protection restraints), unless you buy the premium PS3.

Not in all cases; a couple studios have announced that (at least for now) their movies won't utilize the resolution downgrading part of the copy protection (they can choose whether or not to use it), including Sony pictures.

So you'll get 540p on some movies, 1080i on others.

The PS3 is ridiculously overpriced for a games console- for it's other features, it's actually reasonable. For a fairly powerful Linux PC with a good graphics card, for a 1080p Blu-ray player, for a HD multimedia streamer/server with gigabit ethernet/WiFi, etc, it's actually a good bargain (check the prices for all these things)- for the hardcore people who WANT all these things.

Unfortunately for Sony, 99% of their market are buying the system as a games console. They're only appealing to a tiny portion of potential buyers, which is a mistake. At least it'll help them push Blu-ray, but it's going to seriously hurt console sales.

greatdevourer
May 17, 2006, 01:34 PM
A few things to keep in mind:

The lawsuit over the rumble in the PS2 is a fairly recent thing, so Sony may have only recently decided to remove it, or they may have been testing the battery life and decided it wasn't worth it. Also, Nintendo only announced the Wii controller last fall, so Sony hasn't had that much time to decide to copy the idea ( ;) ). And devs didn't even know about the speaker in the Wii controller (or WiiConnect24) until Nintendo's conference (so said the devs I talked to at Blitz). I would say they've had more than enough time to do so, and the fact that it just looks so unweildy and annoying makes it seems rushed. I suppose some games might use it, but I doubt the majority will (on a dual-analogue controller, it's near-to useless for anything other than gimmicks)

GFLPraxis
May 17, 2006, 02:29 PM
It'll be useful for gimmick games like that Yoshi game with the gyroscope on the GBA, and I think for racing and flight games (Warhawk, Gran Turismo, etc). Useless for platformers and FPS though.

MacRumorUser
May 18, 2006, 05:42 AM
It'll be useful for gimmick games like that Yoshi game with the gyroscope on the GBA, and I think for racing and flight games (Warhawk, Gran Turismo, etc). Useless for platformers and FPS though.

You could use the tilt in FPS to simulate peaking left and right when crouched...