Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaVoLo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
i want to get a laptop
my 2 choices are either a barebones 12" powerbook laptop
or a 14" fully loaded ibook

please give me your opinion on which one i should choose and why i should choose it

thanx :)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
12" PB! You can always upgrade the RAM later if you can't afford it now, and with that G4 chip it will out last the G3 in the iBook.
If however you do go for the iBook do yourself a favour and don't buy the 14" one, it's a total waste of money.

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
agreed. the question is a fully load 12 inch ibook or 12 inch powerbook. I think you'd be happy with both, but the powerbook would have a longer life span. 14 inch ibook is oversized, with too small a pixel density, and just generally not a comfortable computer.

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
If you think you might be doing video stuff (using camcorders, make movies etc) get PowerBook. If not, iBook is perfectly fine.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by edesignuk
12" PB! You can always upgrade the RAM later if you can't afford it now, and with that G4 chip it will out last the G3 in the iBook.
If however you do go for the iBook do yourself a favour and don't buy the 14" one, it's a total waste of money.

I realize that the 14" iBook has the same res as the 12" iBook, but doesn't the larger screen make it easier on the eyes if you are working w/it for long periods of time?

Lethal

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by LethalWolfe

I realize that the 14" iBook has the same res as the 12" iBook, but doesn't the larger screen make it easier on the eyes if you are working w/it for long periods of time?

Lethal
mmmm....maybe. But, as you said, it is the same res as the 12", so you gain no screen space from it. All you get is a bigger, heavier, more expensive version of the fantastic 12" model.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
Depends on what you are doin'

If you are just going to be surfing the web, doing email and maybe burning a few cd's, go with a cheaper 12" ibook, the screen on it should be the same as the powerbook, power doesnt matter with these functions, battery life should be better too since your not running a performance engine. If you will be using photoshop (hell on a 12"), imovie exporting (or any video conversion for that matter), or say compiling large packages off fink often, go with the powerbook. But for normal "consumer" use, the powerbook isnt economically feasable, even at it's new lower price. Just some thoughts on it, research and decide for yourself what you want to get, cause it is you that will have to live with your decision either way.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
have you played with a 14 inch iBook? i thought it sounded better too, till i messed with them. i just don't find the experience rewarding. they seem unnaturally big, uselessly big. it's like they too the 12 inch iBook and stretched it out in weird places. my advice: try a lot before you buy. go spend 20-30 minutes with this thing before you buy it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.