Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fented

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2006
I am new to Mac and new to Final Cut Pro. I have been an Avid user for years and am thinking about making the switch. Before I invest a lot of money in a G5 for my new home FCP system, does anyone know whats going to happen when the pentium based macs come out? When FCP upgrades its software am I going to have software that is incompatable with my old hardware?

Any advise welcome.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
IF you were to buy a PowerMac G5, with a universal version of final cut studio, you'd be fine. If that G5 got old and slow or for some reason you want to get rid of it, you'd be perfectly fine with an Intel PowerMac, because you'd have the universal version of final cut studio...

Now here's the question..Are you willing to wait until August-September for a brand spanking new INTEL PowerMac? Or willing to go with a fully native PowerMac G5 that will run all your apps (but it doesn't run windows natively) right now?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Final Cut Studio will be faster on Intel versions of the PowerMac when they come out.

PS- The Pentium is dead. There will be no Pentium-based Macs, I think the PowerMac replacement will be based on a chip codnamed "Woodcrest" which I think will be the first of the core-architecture Xeon replacements. The Pentium is being replaced by the Core 2 Duo, previously codenamed "Conroe." The high-end Core 2 Duo will be called Core 2 Extreme.

fented

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2006
Yes, of course, I meant to say the new Intel Macs... So FCP Universal will run on the G5's and be upgradable on the G5's even after FCP starts making software for the Intel Macs - I can's wait actually...

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-fented

Final Cut Studio is already Universal Binary.

I'd guess you have about 8 years of compatibility left for a G5 (based on Apple's behavior for the PowerPC transition in 1994)

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
fented said:
Yes, of course, I meant to say the new Intel Macs... So FCP Universal will run on the G5's and be upgradable on the G5's even after FCP starts making software for the Intel Macs - I can's wait actually...
Universal software is just that, UNIVERSAL. Meaning it will run without any emulation or anything on both PPC and Intel Macs. Also, Apple makes the Final Cut softwares, not a third party.

octoberdeath

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2005
you could buy a used G5 for now and then sell it come time for the intel macs to come out and then just install the universal FCP dvds on to your new rig.

ps. i'm selling my 2GHz G5 :)

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
Chundles said:
There will be no Pentium-based Macs, I think the PowerMac replacement will be based on a chip codnamed "Woodcrest" which I think will be the first of the core-architecture Xeon replacements. The Pentium is being replaced by the Core 2 Duo, previously codenamed "Conroe." The high-end Core 2 Duo will be called Core 2 Extreme.

What were those initial Intel powered macs running. The ones they gave to developers?

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
Does any one have any real world comparisions of the Intel Macs ie: iMac, Macmini or MBP vs. G5 towers with FCP.

Just wondering...

Palmer

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2006
I think the PowerMac replacement will be based on a chip codnamed "Woodcrest" which I think will be the first of the core-architecture Xeon replacements.

Why do you think that Woodcrest will be in the Mac Pros? I heard they are only good for Servers.

I am waiting for 2007 when Kensfield comes out. Conroe looks good but I want a Quad intel Mac.

octoberdeath

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2005

link92

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
Subiklim said:
What were those initial Intel powered macs running. The ones they gave to developers?
P4 3.6GHz, but none of the Macs will ever have a Netburst chip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.