PDA

View Full Version : WoW on MacBook?

patseguin
May 18, 2006, 08:22 AM
Anyone with a new MacBook tested World of Warcraft on it? I am thinking of one and would like to know how it runs. Can I expect similar performance to what I get on my 1st gen Dual 2GHz G5?

MacRumorUser
May 18, 2006, 08:27 AM
MY GOD! How, Just How, Quite Simply How many more posters are going to be starting the exact same thread thats all over the forum. Really do people read other section, do people ever use the search function?

MacBook and Wow is JUST playable in Windows XP via bootcamp using Med-Low settings.

On OS X which uses open gl rather than Direct X its not really playable unless you like visiting 'still city....'

mrgreen4242
May 18, 2006, 08:33 AM
Search next time, and stick with your Dell for mobile WoW.

patseguin
May 18, 2006, 10:09 AM
Search next time, and stick with your Dell for mobile WoW.

Boy you people sure are picky abouth threads. Don't answer if it bugs you so much.

I did a search on "WoW on Macbook" and "World of Warcraft on Macbook" and all I could find were discussions on WoW on Macbook PRO.

DougTheImpaler
May 18, 2006, 10:35 AM
The MacBook should be sufficient for WoW if you don't mind low-detail settings.

I played WoW on a Dell Dimension 4700 with the GMA 900 for a while at one point and it wasn't terrible (for reference, it was actually quite similar to an upgraded PowerMac G4 tower with a 1.8GHz CPU and a Radeon 8500...I ended up dumping both and getting an iMac G5). The MacBook has two things going for it that the Dell I played on didn't:

1.) The Dell had dual-channel DDR2 400 RAM and the BIOS would not allow faster RAM to run faster...that means that the entirety of my RAM bandwidth was being torn between the graphics and the CPU. Since the 945 chipset uses 667MHz DDR2 and the CoreDuo uses a slower bus, it seems to me that one channel of 667MHz DDR2 bandwidth is available to the graphics system on the MacBook. I maybe wrong, I guess.

2.) The CPU is just that much more capable than a 2.8GHz Prescott.

colocolo
May 18, 2006, 11:47 AM
From every single thread with a post made on or after yesterday (the day MacBooks were announced), this is the ONLY one with a title refering to WoW and MacBook. Cut patsenguin some slack and dont be oversensitive.

MacRumorUser
May 18, 2006, 11:50 AM
Look through all the macbook threads. There's at least someone hogging it with a query on WOW!!!!

Besides a little more research such as looking at

http://xlr8yourmac.com/

You will find people have already posted results.

Didn't get much time with my 2GHz, 512 MB RAM, 60 GB MacBook as I'll need to return it due to an extremely loud, apparently broken fan, but I got a chance to briefly try out World of Warcraft.
All I had time to do was run around Gadgetzan for a couple minutes. I put the settings to their lowest point and within the city (average number of players in town) I got 10-15 FPS with frequent dips to about 6 when turning around. Outside of the city in the empty desert I saw about 20 FPS. In the inn I got somewhere in the mid 20s.
More RAM might help, but I'm tempted to get the MacBook Pro even for casual playing.
-William M."

There does that answer :p

NOW if only the same people pratling on about Final Cut would look at that site too :D :D

TuMac
May 18, 2006, 02:48 PM
WoW is extremely memory intensive... as an example, I have a dual 1.8 G5 with 512MB of RAM, my wife has a G4 iBook (1.67) with 1GB RAM. Performance on her machine is almost equivalent to mine. OSX has a fairly large memory footprint-- over 300MB. 512 just doesn't cut it for WoW, especially if you're a heavy mod user. Fire up the game, switch to windowed mode, and then run the memory monitor utility. It's an eye-opener.

More memory = less swapping to disk = better all around performance.

shazammy
May 18, 2006, 03:46 PM
Boy you people sure are picky abouth threads. Don't answer if it bugs you so much.

I did a search on "WoW on Macbook" and "World of Warcraft on Macbook" and all I could find were discussions on WoW on Macbook PRO.

NO KIDDING! I for one am sick and tired of the forumhounds who pick people apart for asking a question that might have come up before. I, for one, do not read every single post and/or thread at macrumors, so if I don't see it in the sidebar, I post a new thread asking for help with some issue. You are totally right, if it bugs 'em, why do they take the time to type out a rude reply? They could have easily just pasted the url to the thread they are referring to, thereby helping out the poster, and not seeming like a problem child.

shazammy
May 18, 2006, 03:48 PM
Now THIS was a helpful reply, and a good point in the right direction. ;)

Look through all the macbook threads. There's at least someone hogging it with a query on WOW!!!!

Besides a little more research such as looking at

http://xlr8yourmac.com/

You will find people have already posted results.

There does that answer :p

NOW if only the same people pratling on about Final Cut would look at that site too :D :D

HiRez
May 19, 2006, 04:52 AM
Thank you for the link. Those results are very disappointing, though I guess not that surprising. Sounds like it runs at about the same speed as my 4+ year old 800 MHz G4 TiBook with 32MB ATI Radeon 7500 Mobility. Considering that machine doesn't even meet the minimum WoW specs, that's not good, not good at all. If I could get a real mid-range dedicated graphics chip on the MacBook, I would have happily paid up to $200 extra for it and walked out with one today. This is something they should add to the black model to truly differentiate it and justify the extra money. The rest of the machine is very impressive, it's just that damned Intel graphics that keeps me from buying one. And since I'm not willing to shell out the extra for a MacBook Pro right now (I actually like the design of the black MacBook better), Apple won't be getting any of my money today.

slffl
May 25, 2006, 11:46 AM
WoW was playable on my 17" PB. I don't get how it's 'JUST' playable on a Macbook unless my 64MB Geforce4 MX is better than the Macbooks integrated graphics.

miniConvert
May 25, 2006, 11:54 AM
I didn't think WoW was playable on my Mac mini, but it drives a 23" ACD. The other day I ran WoW in Windowed mode instead and at a lower resolution and I was surprised at how well it worked.

Given how much smaller the resolution is on a MacBook it may well be quite playable with all the settings on low. You could always run it windowed at a lower resolution if needs be.

I have 2GB RAM in my Mac Mini, which I would imagine is a massive help. I don't think 512MB would be playable at any resolution.

DougTheImpaler
May 25, 2006, 12:22 PM
WoW was playable on my 17" PB. I don't get how it's 'JUST' playable on a Macbook unless my 64MB Geforce4 MX is better than the Macbooks integrated graphics.
It is; your GeForce4MX accelerates "hardware T&L" (vertex transformation I think it what it's called in OpenGL) and the onboard GMA950 doesn't. It's like playing WoW with a Radeon7000 (which is also missing T&L). That's also why I think the GMA965 will be usable; since it DOES support that.

jamessnell
Oct 4, 2006, 12:57 AM
MY GOD! How, Just How, Quite Simply How many more posters are going to be starting the exact same thread thats all over the forum. Really do people read other section, do people ever use the search function?

MacBook and Wow is JUST playable in Windows XP via bootcamp using Med-Low settings.

On OS X which uses open gl rather than Direct X its not really playable unless you like visiting 'still city....'

Umm.. Not my experience.. I got a macbook 1gb ram, 1.83 cpu..

In OS X, I find with almost completely MINIMAL video settings I get about 5-8 fps in the grossest places like the main mailbox in IF - I get about 10-20fps when in simple places..

In XP, with MAX video settings, I get 10-15fps in grossest places.. And about 15-40fps in other places (most often about 20-25, but I've had 40 briefly a few times).

Hence, as of Oct 3rd 2006 - I find wow runs far faster in XP. I heard a theory that this has to do with os x not allowing more than 64mb to be allocated to video while XP will allow up to 128. I'm not sure this is the case, if it is, someone just needs to figure out a kernel tweak to allocate more memory, but I suspect this problem has more to with directx being present.

I'd love to hear other theories. If anyone knows how to get os x to run wow faster, please share! I've emailed blizzard about it, hopefully I get an insightful response!

Anyway, if you're thinking about getting a macbook and wanna play wow.. It does run GREAT in windows (great if you're not expecting absolutely top notch performance) - but that's probably only if you have at least a gig of ram..

That said, if you're looking for a gaming machine, get a macbook pro or a cheaper PC with similar hardware. Macbooks aren't designed to be uber gaming platforms. Personally, I don't game like a mofo and am finding I'm extremely happy with my macbook.

Hope this info helps someone.

Cheers

Mackilroy
Oct 4, 2006, 12:20 PM
Umm.. Not my experience.. I got a macbook 1gb ram, 1.83 cpu..

In OS X, I find with almost completely MINIMAL video settings I get about 5-8 fps in the grossest places like the main mailbox in IF - I get about 10-20fps when in simple places..

In XP, with MAX video settings, I get 10-15fps in grossest places.. And about 15-40fps in other places (most often about 20-25, but I've had 40 briefly a few times).

Hence, as of Oct 3rd 2006 - I find wow runs far faster in XP. I heard a theory that this has to do with os x not allowing more than 64mb to be allocated to video while XP will allow up to 128. I'm not sure this is the case, if it is, someone just needs to figure out a kernel tweak to allocate more memory, but I suspect this problem has more to with directx being present.

I'd love to hear other theories. If anyone knows how to get os x to run wow faster, please share! I've emailed blizzard about it, hopefully I get an insightful response!

Anyway, if you're thinking about getting a macbook and wanna play wow.. It does run GREAT in windows (great if you're not expecting absolutely top notch performance) - but that's probably only if you have at least a gig of ram..

That said, if you're looking for a gaming machine, get a macbook pro or a cheaper PC with similar hardware. Macbooks aren't designed to be uber gaming platforms. Personally, I don't game like a mofo and am finding I'm extremely happy with my macbook.

Hope this info helps someone.

Cheers

I saw a thread a while back from a guy who was getting 35-60 frames per second on an MB.

jamessnell
Oct 4, 2006, 03:54 PM
I saw a thread a while back from a guy who was getting 35-60 frames per second on an MB.

Well, I'd get speeds like that if I turned down some of the settings. Remember I said I maxed out the video settings. Also - my framerate would be more in that range inside a place such as a small house by myself.. It's all a factor of what needs to be rendered around you..

Cheers

Mackilroy
Oct 4, 2006, 04:27 PM
Well, I'd get speeds like that if I turned down some of the settings. Remember I said I maxed out the video settings. Also - my framerate would be more in that range inside a place such as a small house by myself.. It's all a factor of what needs to be rendered around you..

Cheers

He said that he had the settings at mid-to-high. I'll see if I can find the topic about it.

jamessnell
Oct 4, 2006, 04:47 PM
He said that he had the settings at mid-to-high. I'll see if I can find the topic about it.

Right and I'm saying I'm running with all video settings maxed out... mid-to-high is not maxed out.

lmalave
Oct 5, 2006, 09:03 AM
On my modest MacBook, WoW plays just fine! I get about 15 fps outdoors and 30 fps indoors (including Ironforge), with whatever the default video settings are. I would definitely say WoW on the MacBook is more that "just playable". I've played countless hours with no issues. So if you want to play WoW and you already have a MacBook, then by all means get the game!!!

gloss
Oct 5, 2006, 09:07 AM
In XP, WoW on a MacBook is totally playable at native resolution with all the details cranked, given that you have enough RAM.

lmalave
Oct 5, 2006, 09:08 AM

That sounds REALLY high for a MB. I get that high only on featureless rooms or hallways (and even then I've only topped out at about 45 fps).

Even turning down video effects and settings only made a difference of 5 fps. One thing I didn't try (because I was unwilling to compromise on it) is turning down the resolution. The only way I could see achieving that framerate on a MB is to set the resolution to the lowest setting...

jamessnell
Oct 5, 2006, 11:50 AM
That sounds REALLY high for a MB. I get that high only on featureless rooms or hallways (and even then I've only topped out at about 45 fps).

Even turning down video effects and settings only made a difference of 5 fps. One thing I didn't try (because I was unwilling to compromise on it) is turning down the resolution. The only way I could see achieving that framerate on a MB is to set the resolution to the lowest setting...

Hey lmalave - you are infact referring to wow on a macbook with windows, not in OS X, right?

Cheers

lmalave
Oct 5, 2006, 01:31 PM
Hey lmalave - you are infact referring to wow on a macbook with windows, not in OS X, right?

Cheers

Hahahahahahaha! Windows on my MacBook!!!!???!!!??? Dear Lord, no. Never.

All the figures I gave are for OS X (10.4 to be precise).

So yes, there are 2 things I will not compromise on:
1) playing WoW at lower than 1280 x 800 resolution
2) installing Windows on my MacBook in any form (whether through BootCamp, Parallels, or whatever).

No need to install Windows, either. WoW is just fine on OS X. I've definitely logged plenty of WoW hours since I got my MacBook a few months ago. Though I don't have a level 60 yet, I have a level 37 orc warlock and a level 27 gnome rogue.

jamessnell
Oct 5, 2006, 01:51 PM

2) installing Windows on my MacBook in any form (whether through BootCamp, Parallels, or whatever).

No need to install Windows, either. WoW is just fine on OS X. I've definitely logged plenty of WoW hours since I got my MacBook a few months ago. Though I don't have a level 60 yet, I have a level 37 orc warlock and a level 27 gnome rogue.

Well, I'd like to join you on that bandwagon.. But I find when I run wow on osx, it simply sucks. I mean, you can play it, but I find I have to turn down pretty well all the video settings to get frame rates of 10+ in places such as IF. My machine does have 1gb not 1.256gb like you, but I'd be shocked if that actually is what's making the difference... Please, help me use os x for wow... What are your video settings? Do you do anything special like disable various gui settings in os x or something?

Thanks

Machead III
Oct 6, 2006, 02:48 PM

There's like a 40% increase in games perfoamnce on the Windows side of people that dual boot. With WoW it's particularly high, and particularly so with MacBooks, which on the Mac side are limtied to 64mb of Ram, while on the PC side are allowed over 225mb, and WoW performance is determind almost solely these days by RAM and VRAM.

If a MacBook can run Half Life 2 on low settings relatively lag free, given 2gigs of RAM you should have np with WoW.

darkcow108
Oct 15, 2006, 07:50 PM
Okay, please don't bite my head off. I just switched to Mac. I got a Macbook yesterday, and I'm trying to install WoW. I inserted disc 1 and opened the disc. A window with two icons appeared. When I clicked on the first one called "World of Warcraft (OS X)", it appeared on my Dock but nothing else happened. :mad: When I clicked on the one that's called "Installer Tome.mpq" a window poped up. It told me that there was no default application specified to open it. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. :confused:

Help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

bobber205
Oct 15, 2006, 08:15 PM
The first one you clicked on should start the installation process. Maybe it was just acting slow?

darkcow108
Oct 15, 2006, 08:20 PM
How long am I supposed to wait for it to begin? When I clicked it, this colourwheel starts spinning around and I can hear the disc being read but then the noise comes to a complete stop after a minute. I've been waiting for about 5 minutes now and still nothing else has happened.

bobber205
Oct 15, 2006, 09:02 PM
Try restarting with the disk in the machine.

darkcow108
Oct 15, 2006, 09:20 PM
Try restarting with the disk in the machine.

Music started playing for 5 seconds but no new window- nothing.

Tried the CD's on my PC; they work fine.

No hope?

bobber205
Oct 15, 2006, 09:21 PM
Take a pic of what you're seeing after the music stops playing.

It's Shift-Apple-3.

darkcow108
Oct 15, 2006, 09:45 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/darkcow108/Picture1.jpg

bobber205
Oct 15, 2006, 09:51 PM
Wow. That's so weird.

That's what happen after you click and the music plays? Wow....

I'll think about it for awhile... :confused:

darkcow108
Oct 15, 2006, 09:54 PM
Yea, I know- so weird. Someone told me that it's probably because Macbook can't take WoW but I meet all the games requirements. :(

bobber205
Oct 15, 2006, 10:07 PM
It runs. I just played it about an hour ago on mine... :D

gamerz
Oct 15, 2006, 10:29 PM
nice... whats specs do you have on your macbook bobber? and how many fps you get?

bobber205
Oct 15, 2006, 10:48 PM
Well. Sometimes it's bad like in the rang of 3 to 7 fps. But it's almost always at least 15 outside and when battling. inside caves and buildings, I've hit 100 fps. I'm not kidding! But inside the average is probably 40-50.

jamessnell
Oct 15, 2006, 11:17 PM
Yup.. Same results for me Bobber.. I've turned down the video settings pretty damn low, but it is reasonably playable, though a hell of a lot better in windows.. (I got a 1.83 with 1gb)

But anyway, installation isn't complicated, you're totally on the right track.. Just goof with it some more until you get it to work. I'd expect double clicking that OS X installer would be enough, but seems that you're saying that doesn't work for you. Alternatively, try dragging that icon in to Macintosh HD > Applications or something..

I figure if you continue to have problems - maybe a part of your disc is damaged. In which case, what I'd do is go look for a copy of it online. Just download the iso for the first disc, burn that and try from there.

But darkcow- who ever said "macbook can't take wow" should be gently slapped. It's not a gaming machine, but it certainly can and will run it.

Hope that helps a bit

bobber205
Oct 15, 2006, 11:39 PM
Are you near end game? What do you get on raids and dungeons?

cschreppel
Oct 15, 2006, 11:43 PM
This may be a little out of context, but anyone catch the first South Park episode of Season 10 two weeks ago?

jamessnell
Oct 15, 2006, 11:54 PM
I haven't taken my dude in to any raids or anything other than walking around and minor grinding.. This is cause it runs so much better in windows at the moment..

rand0m3r
Oct 16, 2006, 01:05 AM
This may be a little out of context, but anyone catch the first South Park episode of Season 10 two weeks ago?
yep, are u referring the WoW-themed episode. that is the best episode of south park ever! everyone should go over to youTube and check it out now if they haven't already.

Chrispy
Oct 18, 2006, 02:28 PM
The last OSX update was supposed to increase openGL performance was it not? Has anyone noticed an increase in performance after this? Just curious.

jamessnell
Oct 18, 2006, 03:35 PM
I haven't noticed any significant changes.. Are you referring to an Apple Software Update??? Or is this a Blizzard patch? Must be Apple eh? My system is definitely up to date - no serious improvements in the past few weeks here.

Chrispy
Oct 18, 2006, 03:51 PM
I haven't noticed any significant changes.. Are you referring to an Apple Software Update??? Or is this a Blizzard patch? Must be Apple eh? My system is definitely up to date - no serious improvements in the past few weeks here.

Yeah I was referring to Apple Software Update. I heard rumors of increased openGL performance but was not sure if they were true of not.

jamessnell
Oct 18, 2006, 03:53 PM
Well, perhaps there were improvments.. But if so, on a macbook running wow in osx, it's still far inferrior in perforance to wow in windows on a macbook. I pains me deeply to say that, but it's totally true. Maybe the improvements effect older intel macs, such as the mac minis or something.

bobber205
Oct 18, 2006, 04:45 PM
Yeah I was referring to Apple Software Update. I heard rumors of increased openGL performance but was not sure if they were true of not.

I played before and after and the upgrade was none.

I thought I read that the improvements haven't been patched yet.. ?

darkcow108
Oct 21, 2006, 12:59 PM
Well, I just heard back from WoW Tech. Apparently, after looking at my ASP it appears that I'm "running on a case-sensitive volume and the game will not install on such a format." Okay, what the heck does that mean? What is a case-sensitive volume? :confused:

bobber205
Oct 21, 2006, 03:36 PM
Wow. Is there any way you could afford to do a reinstall?

jamessnell
Oct 21, 2006, 03:39 PM
Weird man - I think they're saying you're trying to install to a file system that is case sensitive.. Maybe you can create a partition to install to?

Zivee
Oct 24, 2006, 08:08 PM
After working with my desktop for a year (2.0 processor, nvidia 6600 (256?) and a gig of ram) I have decided that for college sake I need to pass the desktop to my mother and brother (wow and counterstrike/wow addicts, respectively) and grab a macbook or macbookpro.

However, I find that I think the macbookpro looks pretty....silver, metallic, and just like the old powerbook. The macbook looks fresh, innovative, and simple - just what I want. Both are an inch thin - I ADORE this...I need to be able to slip my computer into my shoulder bag and bolt out the door to class without hassling with a gigantic laptop case.

Right now I'm using my boyfriend's HP, and it's a gigantic monster. I can take notes in class...but I break my back carrying the thing TO class.

I also play...WoW. The first thing I did was check the graphics card on Intel's site with the game compatability list. Green circle. (compatible, no problems).

The main reason I want the macbook is because every other laptop out there looks like a peice of #@$@ to me, except some Fujitsu notebooks. Dell is sort of getting there with the Inspirons they popped out recently (that about 5, on average, freshman students in my courses have.) the spoiled ones have the 20? inch inspirons.

With my desktop, I get 30-40 FPS in the graphics heavy environments (cities, instances, etc) with lots of people. that's what I'm used to. My desktop is a hoss, can run whatever the hell I want to run a-ok, and never lags, even in Lagrimmar and Lagforge. On this laptop (AHHH) it has 512 mb of ram, and lags/15-20 FPS, 6 or less in cities, and a lot of times in battlegrounds, the screen freezes and 15 seconds later, I'm dead and ressing. Oh joy. I hate this thing, but not being able to take notes in class with profs that rip through slides would be even worse. (the desktop is MIA while I find someone to stick a new, bigger hard drive in.)

Will I be happy with a macbook? I plan on setting it at one gig of memory. WoW is a pretty simple game to me - I am not a serious gamer, this is only game I have and/or will ever play, probably. However, I do like my WoW graphics to be top notch, and I don't like dying because MY computer wasn't performing perfectly. I don't mind throwing in 2 gigs...but if I'm doing that..why don't I just get the damn MBP...

I would love to run Windows on a macbook - the actual computer shell is why I like Apple - their design is light years ahead of the UGLY HP and Dell notebooks. ipods compared to every other music player look ten times more sophisticated.

I'd rather not have to get a macbookpro just to play WoW at the best settings...if they offered the MBPs with the white shell that the macbooks get, I'd be all over it. If they had made it optional...I think a lot of people would have jumped on it.

bobber205
Oct 24, 2006, 09:19 PM
Once I've been playing for a minute or two, I consistently get 25-30 fps on my macbook under windows, 512 ram.

kbonnel
Oct 25, 2006, 09:03 AM
I play WoW on my macbook 2.0Ghz. It works fine as long as I turn down all the settings. I run in window mode, so I don't know if that is good or bad. I get around 20 - 25 FPS. I am also doing other things, such as word, firefox, etc, so I might get better performance if I stopped them. (I have 2GB in my macbook). Since I play mostly on my MacPro, it doesn't bother me to not have all the graphics.

Kimo

jamessnell
Oct 25, 2006, 11:19 AM
I'm a bit skeptical about those frame rates from the previous two posts.. I mean, I'll only run the game @ native resolution with pretty well all effects cranked to max.

The macbook's video system is NOT meant for games. In windows you can get it to hack wow reasonably well, though I haven't taken mine in to any big raids so that could be killer. In IF @ the mail box seems to be the worst it gets.. For my machine I'll drop down to about 10-15fps in places like that.. The rest of the time I hover at 20fps and up (sometimes as much as 50fps - though only short bursts).

Sounds like you could get away with a macbook.. You DEFINITELY want 1gb as you say.. Though seriously, 2gb may be worth it --- though if you go the 2gb route, you'd be better off ordering one with 512 and getting the memory upgraded locally. I'd do it for you, but I guess there's a damn good chance you're not even in Canada let lone my city..

That said.. the Intel GMA GPU is NOT meant as a gamer GPU. So... the macbook isn't really intended to nail down games. And since Apple released a new line of macbook pros yesterday, you may be better of with the base macbook pro model.

Whatever you do.. Definitely get 1gb of memory (or 2gb). I don't know how well wow will run in os x on the macbook pro, but I imagine it'd run quite well. For the macbook, it runs like ****. Unless you consider 10-15fps with the absolute min video settings to be better than "****".

helpful? need more commentary?

bobber205
Oct 25, 2006, 11:44 AM
Unless you consider 10-15fps with the absolute min video settings to be better than "****".

helpful? need more commentary?

Indeed I do. It's better than maxing out at 10 in OS X.

jamessnell
Oct 25, 2006, 12:00 PM
I'm saying 10-15fps with absolute min videos settings is what I get in os x and that really sucks. It's not OS x's fault... I think it's a question of blizzard finding time to optimize some stuff (or the well known video memory allocation issue).

ahammond
Nov 9, 2006, 04:34 PM
Well, I just heard back from WoW Tech. Apparently, after looking at my ASP it appears that I'm "running on a case-sensitive volume and the game will not install on such a format." Okay, what the heck does that mean? What is a case-sensitive volume? :confused:

Case-sensitive refers to the filesystem being able to differentiate between upper and lower case letters. The unix filesystem (default on all modern Macs) is case sensitive. I have this problem right now. I'm going to try creating a separate partition with one of the older filesystems on it for the install. I'll post my results back here.

Puppies
Nov 9, 2006, 06:05 PM
I've just started playing WoW, and it runs beutifully on my main desktop (2.4Ghz/533Mhz P4, 512MB, 128MB Geforce 4) with settings cranked to max at 1280x1024.

Thought I'd check in to see if a Macbook could do that...but I guess not. I probably would have picked one up if I hadn't started this game! Darned co-workers!