PDA

View Full Version : Analyst: iPod Updates By Holidays, Additional OS Support For Macs?

MacRumors
May 18, 2006, 01:20 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Following a meeting with top Apple executives, Bear Stearns analyst Andy Neff sent a note to clients (http://cestockblog.com/article/10783) regarding a range of issues, both current and future.

Of note, Neff mentions that Apple is likely to refresh their iPod line ahead of the holiday shopping season similar to what it has done in years past. Should the rumored "true" video iPod appear with these updates, it would be offered as a complementary product to the iPods and not as a replacement. Neff also briefly mentions that he feels Apple is indeed working on an iPod phone, however he is uncertain as to the timing of its release.

Incremental iPod updates have been rumored (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/05/20060508164940.shtml) to arrive, with a larger video iPod release having been pushed back (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/04/20060413131333.shtml) to the end of 2006 or later due to technical difficulties. Analysts have also predicted that an Apple-branded phone would arrive by early next year at the latest (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/03/20060319140832.shtml).

Neff also mentions that Apple is testing ways to drive mac sales, including developing the capability to run more Operating Systems.

While Apple launched Boot Camp to accommodate the use of Windows, it views the tight integration of hardware and software (Mac OS) as key to creating superior user experience, although it is looking at different ways to better address users needs for multiple OSs.

While this probably means that Apple is simply investigating adding support for additional OSs into Boot Camp, it could hint that Apple is creating a virtualization solution of its own.

Chaszmyr
May 18, 2006, 01:26 PM
That Boot Camp quote sounds to me more like they are developing a better way to switch to other operating systems than dual booting.

iGary
Of note, Neff mentions that Apple is likely to refresh their iPod line ahead of the holiday shopping season similar to what it has done in years past.

Duh. That takes a genius. :rolleyes:

And analysts have been predicting this phone FOREVER.

Not. Happening.

corywoolf
I would hope they get new iPods out before the holidays, as it is, they are getting kind of stale. Hopefully they keep a version in a similar form factor to the current ones and offer a widescreen one as well.:rolleyes:

FoxyKaye
May 18, 2006, 01:47 PM
I'm really curious to see what happens with Boot Camp and the rumored Apple virtualization in Leopard. One advantage Apple retains in keeping its hardware/software integration tight and closely held is the ability to provide drivers for other OSes if it chooses to do so. They don't have to worry too much about whether or not there's some variance in hardware configuration based on distributor like in a generic PC/Windows world - they know exactly what they're putting into every machine.

Gotta wonder how great it would be to have working drivers for all of Apple's hardware under Windows (Boot Camp - already happening) and some distribution of Linux. I'm not a gamer, but if Apple got the 3-D stuff working under Windows for the ATI and NVIDIA cards it stocks, I'd imagine Windows gamer folks would be *very* pleased.

I'd be personally much more interested in some sort of transparent virtualization running in Leopard - maybe click on an app in the Windows partition of my HDD and voila, it just opens. No need to boot Windows separately or start a program like Virtual PC. That would undoubtedly be a real revolution and programming nightmare, I'm sure.

Porchland
May 18, 2006, 01:48 PM
That Boot Camp quote sounds to me more like they are developing a better way to switch to other operating systems than dual booting.

I think this all depends on how Apple gauges what the consumer wants. Personally, I want Windows XP-compatible apps -- not Windows XP itself -- to run on my Mac.

I don't want a Start button or a My Computer icon. I just want the XP version of Microsoft Office, games, etc.

Object-X
May 18, 2006, 01:48 PM
What I think Apple is going to do is add some kind of flash hard drive so you can "instant on and off" an OS; so, with OS X (Leapord) you will be able to jump into bootcamp in seconds and switch your OS, dramatically reducing the time it takes to switch over. Vista is also going to support this kind of booting from what I read.

miketcool
May 18, 2006, 01:55 PM
New iPods before the holidays is a given.

Apple's own virtualization, yeah, I see that being a very important feature of a future OS. Why boot in Windows when you can make it seemless and make Leopard look even more amazing.

nbs2
May 18, 2006, 02:01 PM
And in other news, Apple will be releasing a new version of iLife within the next year. Also, Apple is expected to release an Intel based machine to replace the current PowerMac offerings, but I am uncertain as to the timing of its release.I copied him! Maybe I can get a book contract!:D

tkidBOSTON
May 18, 2006, 02:04 PM
What I think Apple is going to do is add some kind of flash hard drive so you can "instant on and off" an OS; so, with OS X (Leapord) you will be able to jump into bootcamp in seconds and switch your OS, dramatically reducing the time it takes to switch over. Vista is also going to support this kind of booting from what I read.

I think this is an amazing idea and hope it happens. It might drive me to buy an Intel mac before I would otherwise.

DavidLeblond
May 18, 2006, 02:06 PM
I get excited when I see new rumors on Macrumors. Then I see the word "analyst" and I tune it out immediately.

How does one go about getting paid to be an "analyst"?

gotohamish
May 18, 2006, 02:11 PM
I would bet a LOT on this actually being their current program to run native Windows apps within the Mac OS X environment—no emulation needed. That's their future in many ways.

freeny
May 18, 2006, 02:12 PM
Just start analysing things, then ask people for money...Repeat if necessary.

Kingsly
May 18, 2006, 02:20 PM
I would love to cube between OSX and windows.
"Oh, I need an address for my iPhone, let me pause HL:2 and cube over... okay, here it is... While I'm at it, I think I'll bluetooth sync it to my iPad (fullscreen iPod)... done... cubes back to windows, continues playing HL:2."

The ultimate dream, my friends. :D

DavidLeblond
May 18, 2006, 02:21 PM
Just start analysing things, then ask people for money...Repeat if necessary.

I have a pretty good feeling that sometime in the next 10 years Apple will be releasing some sort of iPod that is the color red.

That'll be $100. Small bills please.

crees!
May 18, 2006, 02:30 PM

Maybe the cube effect but more manual like in XGL. Look up XGL on YouTube to see some examples. It's pretty rockin'.

It would be cool if Expose had a little bounce to it like it does here.
About 1 minute in is where the magic happens.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDD1N7NdCmI

ManchesterTrix
May 18, 2006, 02:31 PM
I think this all depends on how Apple gauges what the consumer wants. Personally, I want Windows XP-compatible apps -- not Windows XP itself -- to run on my Mac.

I don't want a Start button or a My Computer icon. I just want the XP version of Microsoft Office, games, etc.

I doubt that will happpen, if anything would kill Mac software development, that'd be it.

weitzner
May 18, 2006, 02:33 PM
iPhone: not happening. iPod updates before the holidays: duh. Better Boot Camp: duh - it's a freakin' beta right now!

weitzner
May 18, 2006, 02:37 PM

why would you want the windows version of office? the mac version has everything that the windows version has (plus some more) and is like an order of magnittude cheaper.

longofest
May 18, 2006, 02:39 PM
why would you want the windows version of office? the mac version has everything that the windows version has (plus some more) and is like an order of magnittude cheaper.

Visio
Project
Access
Frontpage

All not part of Office for Mac, but are part of the premium editions of Office for PC. Personally, I've always felt the sting of not having Visio or Project. Don't care about Access or Frontpage (especially since it's now discontinued), but those are some reasons that people might want the Windows version.

Electro Funk
May 18, 2006, 02:42 PM

Because the mac version of office doesnt even compare the the windows version of office... this has been debated time and time again...

I am Forced to use MSOffice for work because quite frankly ther are things you cant do in mac office (also some limitations) that you can in MSO for winblows...

Edit... Damn Longo... type slower next time!:p

imikem
May 18, 2006, 02:53 PM

Isn't it obvious? Consider the first 57% of the occupational title.

york2600
May 18, 2006, 03:01 PM
Gotta wonder how great it would be to have working drivers for all of Apple's hardware under Windows (Boot Camp - already happening) and some distribution of Linux. I'm not a gamer, but if Apple got the 3-D stuff working under Windows for the ATI and NVIDIA cards it stocks, I'd imagine Windows gamer folks would be *very* pleased.

This is exactly what boot camp is. It's really just a boot loader and a CD full of all the drivers for Windows. It wasn't rocket science or anything. Apple just had to slap the BIOS emulation ontop of the EFI they ship and then put together a slick UI assistant to help Mac users get into the Windows installer. If you look at the drivers on the CD they're just Windows drivers for all the devices. I have the Duo Mac Mini. It's just a run of the mill PC. A Dell desktop in a much nicer case.

All I want from Apple (and why I replaced my G4 MDD) was tri-booting. There are LOTS of Linux nuts with Macs now. If they could take the time to let me get Windows, Ubuntu Linux, and OS X running I would be happy beyond belief and many hardcore geeks would be very impressed and seriously consider Macs.

Analog Kid
May 18, 2006, 03:17 PM
mmmm..... virtualization....

MacsRgr8
May 18, 2006, 03:18 PM
I just want the XP version of Microsoft Office, games, etc.

Apps like M$ Office might be able to run sort of native (like OS/2 did), but games would be much harder. The whole DirectX APIs should have to work, along with the drivers for the grfx cards and sound cards. Maybe it's possible.... but it would probably come with a performance penalty aswell.

ruud
May 18, 2006, 03:19 PM
All I want from Apple (and why I replaced my G4 MDD) was tri-booting. There are LOTS of Linux nuts with Macs now. If they could take the time to let me get Windows, Ubuntu Linux, and OS X running I would be happy beyond belief and many hardcore geeks would be very impressed and seriously consider Macs.
http://wiki.onmac.net/index.php/Triple_Boot_via_BootCamp

Analog Kid
May 18, 2006, 03:19 PM
Visio
Project
Access
Frontpage

All not part of Office for Mac, but are part of the premium editions of Office for PC. Personally, I've always felt the sting of not having Visio or Project. Don't care about Access or Frontpage (especially since it's now discontinued), but those are some reasons that people might want the Windows version.
Omnigraffle speaks Visio pretty fluently. Merlin (from the Project Wizards) speaks MSProject and spares you the MSProject interface from hell. I've been using Merlin and have been quite happy with it-- and I can trade project files with the Windows folk. Best part is I don't have MS telling me how my projects should be run.

bigandy
May 18, 2006, 03:28 PM
Access
filemaker. nuff said.

Frontpage
dreamweaver. why people still stick with frontpage is beyond me. it's so bad i want to kick people every time i see someone using it.

Visio
ConeceptDraw V. (here (http://www.conceptdraw.com/en/products/cd5/ap_visio_cd5.php))

yac_moda
May 18, 2006, 03:31 PM
What are they talking about, "Apple create a virtualization solution of their own" ???

I thought Bootcamp was an Apple product, is it NOT, or does this indicate that article is BULL ??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

bigandy
Best part is I don't have MS telling me how my projects should be run.

you'd think they'd give the Windows team a free copy, wouldn't you? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D :D

crees!
dreamweaver. why people still stick with frontpage is beyond me. it's so bad i want to kick people every time i see someone using it.

Not to mention the code it generates. Enough to make a web designer PUKE.

Sample CSS
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
{mso-style-parent:"";
margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:none;
mso-layout-grid-align:none;
text-autospace:none;
font-size:14.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
color:black;}
h1
{mso-style-next:Normal;
margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
text-align:center;
mso-pagination:none;
page-break-after:avoid;
mso-outline-level:1;
mso-layout-grid-align:none;
text-autospace:none;
font-size:28.0pt;
font-family:PaulyScript;
mso-bidi-font-family:PaulyScript;
color:green;
mso-font-kerning:0pt;
font-weight:normal;}

Sample HTML
<h2 style='mso-pagination:widow-orphan'><span style='font-family:Pristina;
mso-bidi-font-family:Pristina;color:#CCFFCC'>Limited Time Offers</span><span
style='color:#CCFFCC'><o:p></o:p></span></h2>

<p class=MsoNormal align=center style='text-align:center'><span
style='font-size:8.5pt;font-family:Arial;color:#FFFF99'>Fresh Spring Bloom</span><span
style='font-size:24.0pt;font-family:PaulyScript;mso-bidi-font-family:PaulyScript;
color:#FFFF99'><o:p></o:p></span></p>

bigandy
May 18, 2006, 03:32 PM
What are they talking about, "Apple create a virtualization solution of their own" ???

I thought Bootcamp was an Apple product, is it NOT, or does this indicate that article is BULL ??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Boot Camp isn't a virtualisation solution. It's a tweak to the EFI to allow a choice of operating systems at boot time. virtualisation allows switching between OS' on the fly, while they're both booted (like VirtualPC but far faster).

jaxstate
May 18, 2006, 03:34 PM
I hope they don't do away with the BootCamp function. I don't want to be in a virtual window, I want full power. Allocating ram is for the birds, but this is just my needs/wants.

bigandy
May 18, 2006, 03:35 PM
Not to mention the code it generates. Enough to make a web designer PUKE.

i know! it's awful!

i've used dreamweaver for years. admittedly, i did try frontpage, but before it became a microsoft product. the minute they bought it out, i decided not to bother, because it was stupid enough when vermeer technologies made the first version!

yac_moda
May 18, 2006, 03:38 PM
Boot Camp isn't a virtualisation solution. It's a tweak to the EFI to allow a choice of operating systems at boot time. virtualisation allows switching between OS' on the fly, while they're both booted (like VirtualPC but far faster).

I KNOW what vitualization is, I did NOT know bootcamp was NOT :eek:

gnasher729
May 18, 2006, 03:45 PM

What would be the point of this (on a desktop system) except being expensive? If you have virtualisation, alternative operating systems can be just put to sleep and woken up instantly. Boot time is irrelevant, because you don't boot (except after Windows crashes :-)

If you want full hardware access for a second operating system, which cannot be done with virtualisation, the most efficient way to implement this is to put one of the two operating systems to sleep at any time.

tjwett
May 18, 2006, 03:47 PM
awesome, tell Dominic G that they should include support for BeOS while they're at it, i'm sure he'd love to see that! :)

i can't even begin to imagine how fast BeOS would scream on a Core Duo. for the love of god, that would Be amazing.

mcarnes
May 18, 2006, 03:48 PM

Just make up crap and wear a tie.

May 18, 2006, 04:04 PM
I hope they don't do away with the BootCamp function. I don't want to be in a virtual window, I want full power. Allocating ram is for the birds, but this is just my needs/wants.

They'll probably not take away the seperate boot function, instead I would guess that the user would have a choise as to whether they want virtualization or the seperate boot.

morespce54
May 18, 2006, 04:04 PM

:D
Yea, I would also like to know that... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Saying stuff like: "It will happen, some day... but then, I might not... you know computers... anyway it might be comming soon..."

lol !

morespce54
May 18, 2006, 04:06 PM
Just make up crap and wear a tie.

sounds more like a "marketing dude" than an "analyst dude" :D :D

blimundus
May 18, 2006, 04:07 PM
http://wiki.onmac.net/index.php/Triple_Boot_via_BootCamp
That's not good enough. Do we know it works on a MacBook? Do we know it works without installing Windows? For how much of the hardware are there drivers that can be used in Linux?

Parallels virtualization looks interesting though, but paying for the ability to run Ubuntu feels awkward...

longofest
May 18, 2006, 04:08 PM
people are getting bent out of shape about my last post. I was simply pointing out that the Mac version of office has less than the PC version has. I'm not saying that you can't get alternatives that may be better. I'm also not saying that I personally wouldn't want to get alternatives. I use dreamweaver, and would never, ever, in life use Frontpage or Access for that matter (because they stink).

I use Visio and Project because I have to at work however. Do I really want to learn yet another program's interface and quirks to do the same job at home that I do at work? No thanks... just give me Visio and Project working side-by-side with my mac apps.

weitzner
May 18, 2006, 04:18 PM
Visio
Project
Access
Frontpage

well for visio why not use Concept Draw, which you can just import visio xml files into, and for project, why not use xTime? it can import and export MS project files.

xTime: http://www.app4mac.com/xtimeproject.html
Concept Draw: http://www.conceptdraw.com/en/products/cd5/main.php

just a thought.

tny
May 18, 2006, 04:18 PM
Apps like M$ Office might be able to run sort of native (like OS/2 did), but games would be much harder. The whole DirectX APIs should have to work, along with the drivers for the grfx cards and sound cards. Maybe it's possible.... but it would probably come with a performance penalty aswell.

Relevant to Porchland's suggestion: if you reimplement all the APIs bug-for-bug as MS has implemented the originals, and if you write code that is at least as efficient as the original MS code, you shouldn't have to pay any performance penalty: there's no virtualization or emulation involved. That's what WINE is attempting, but since it requires reverse engineering, it will probably never be quite bug-for-bug compatible.

BlueDjinn
May 18, 2006, 04:36 PM
Havent' tried it yet myself, but everything I've heard so far indicates that Parallels' WorkStation virtualization solution kicks major ass even in beta--seems to me it'd be easier for Apple to just buy 'em out for a $50 million (or whatever--no clue what they're worth) and absorb WorkStation into Leopard, no?

truz
May 18, 2006, 04:39 PM
It would be nice if apple put something out so you don't have to dual boot into windows for gaming support.

or

allow windows and macos boot at the same time and they run together without the windows viruses effecting the system and using the mac interface... Someone posted a picture of a windows icon next to the apple icon on the top menu...

Regardless anything to do with windows and mac makes me sick. I just enjoy playing games. I wish apple the best and I hope people will switch.. (I have tried getting a few people to switch, they keep calling me an undercover apple sales rep.)

iGuy
May 18, 2006, 04:46 PM
Omnigraffle speaks Visio pretty fluently. Merlin (from the Project Wizards) speaks MSProject and spares you the MSProject interface from hell. I've been using Merlin and have been quite happy with it-- and I can trade project files with the Windows folk. Best part is I don't have MS telling me how my projects should be run.

Both Omnigraffle and Visio are not qualitly applications but, and I really do hate to say this, MS Visio is a much, much better application than Omnigraffle.

But this debate is moot. If Omnigraffle works for you, use it.

But I do get fed up of people being arogant and assuming that what works for them must work for others.

Live and let live.

~iGuy

sam10685
May 18, 2006, 04:53 PM
i don't want an ipod update by the holidays. i want an ipod update now. same with the Wii.

barbaloot
May 18, 2006, 05:00 PM

That would be awesome, you wouldn't have to worry which box to grab when buying software. Or being all pissed cuz Fry's has the XP version of something at half the price of the Mac version.

psychofreak
May 18, 2006, 05:09 PM
I have no real technical knowledge, but assume that if macs can run windblows apps, without re-booting or virtualisation, as some in this thread have suggested, then won't viruses be able to run too?

Marlor
May 18, 2006, 05:12 PM
That would be awesome, you wouldn't have to worry which box to grab when buying software. Or being all pissed cuz Fry's has the XP version of something at half the price of the Mac version.

Yes, but the apps would not comply to the Mac HIG at all. Just look at Wine for Linux. Windows apps on that stick out like a sore thumb (when they work at all).

And that is just one of the problems with reimplementing Windows libraries. Another problem is that the libraries aren't documented well, and they are a moving target.

Wine (and the companies that use its codebase) have been working on this for years. It works for some apps, but it is never anything more than a kludge.

Marlor
May 18, 2006, 05:14 PM
I have no real technical knowledge, but assume that if macs can run windblows apps, without re-booting or virtualisation, as some in this thread have suggested, then won't viruses be able to run too?

To some extent. There is a funny article on how compatible viruses are with Wine here:

http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/01/25/1430222&from=rss

Darrin Bell
May 18, 2006, 06:21 PM
I doubt that will happpen, if anything would kill Mac software development, that'd be it.Would we really care? At that point, every program would be Mac software.

Okay, we might care about the ugly PC interfaces...

sam10685
May 18, 2006, 07:48 PM

wow.

thejadedmonkey
May 18, 2006, 08:25 PM
This article....all I can say is WOW!
New iPods are going to come out in the next 6 months, a beta version of some software is going to be updated...

I wanna get paid to do this!

yac_moda
May 18, 2006, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Object-X

wow.

Its called ROBSON TECHNOLOGY harddrives with integrated LARGE AMOUNTS of FLASH ...

Billy G. first announced it with Intel.

I first described it on Spymac almost 3 years ago now :eek: :eek: :eek:

corywoolf
May 18, 2006, 10:10 PM
I would bet a LOT on this actually being their current program to run native Windows apps within the Mac OS X environment—no emulation needed. That's their future in many ways.
Agreed, Check out my basic idea of implementation into OS X.

bretm
May 18, 2006, 10:30 PM
The master plan...

Create some invisible virtualization to run windows apps without having to have a copy of windows.

Then, sell that operating system (leopard) to all Intel users.

All of the sudden Dell, Compaq, etc. could have their choice of which operating system to use on their computers.... Leopard (which runs both OSX and Windows apps) or Windows (which only runs windows and just isn't as cool).

Apple takes a hit on hardware sales. Microsoft takes HUGE hit on OS sales.

bretm
May 18, 2006, 10:35 PM

Bootcamp isn't virtualization. Just an intel computer running windows. Bootcamp assists in the Windows installation, then allows you to switch between boot disks with a little control panel. Like booting OS 9 or OSX.

No emulation or virtualization.

They'll probably buy Parallels.

ddcrandall
May 18, 2006, 10:38 PM
I realize that this isn't a credible source, but a Mac Retail employee that I spoke with said that he had heard virtualization was on the way.

corywoolf
May 18, 2006, 10:48 PM
I realize that this isn't a credible source, but a Mac Retail employee that I spoke with said that he had heard virtualization was on the way.
I call BS. Sorry, but no Retail employee has the credentials to get that kind of info. Plus you're a newb. :D

mozmac
May 19, 2006, 01:38 AM
Mac OS X + Apple branded virtualization of Windows and Linux = THE GREATEST COMPUTER IN THE WORLD!

mozmac
May 19, 2006, 01:40 AM
Seriously, though. Everyone can run all of the other OSes, but Apple is the ONLY one with OS X. They hold the trump card. They can use that to their advantage here. If they did that, just about every computer our company would buy from here on out would be a Mac.....well.....ONLY if they had a second mouse button to their laptops!!!!!!!!!!!

aswitcher
May 19, 2006, 01:53 AM
I think the analysis is right but not too insightful. iPhone has to happen or elese Apple will be avoiding a very important market.

Machead III
May 19, 2006, 02:24 AM
Where are all these crack-pot hard drive speculations coming from? Bootcamp will become transparent virtualisation. Obviously. Period.

PJJames
May 19, 2006, 02:56 AM
Anyone think we'll see Bluetooth in the next generation iPods???

netdog
May 19, 2006, 03:10 AM
Anyone think we'll see Bluetooth in the next generation iPods???

Almost guaranteed.

I think the full screen vPod will become a reality too.

With a big touch screen, I hope they enable it to do a number of other things.

aswitcher
May 19, 2006, 03:48 AM
Almost guaranteed.

I think the full screen vPod will become a reality too.

With a big touch screen, I hope they enable it to do a number of other things.

If its a touch screen then its effectively a PDA which would be awesome.

cherfizzle
May 19, 2006, 05:59 AM
Duh. That takes a genius. :rolleyes:

And analysts have been predicting this phone FOREVER.

Not. Happening.
yeah right
apple can do anything, it just might take time

iEdd
May 19, 2006, 06:28 AM
Apple already made a phone, the E3 R0x0r :D Yeah, yeah I know it's a different thing, but it's more plausible than those "42 and 50 inch LCD screen mac MINIs" - Yay, let's pump out HD on a 50" screen with a 1.6GHz proc and intel GMA. :rolleyes: ;)
I like the sound of a bigger iPod and all, but I'm not sure if touch screen is the way to go. Fingerprints, or scuff marks from a stylus. iPod nano-style lawsuits. If apple do it PDA style then they need to be really, really careful.

(L)
May 19, 2006, 06:28 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Should the rumored "true" video iPod appear with these updates, it would be offered as a complementary product to the iPods and not as a replacement.

How reliable is this? That means a definite INCREASE in the average price of iPods, and the only way for it not to be a replacement is if it costs a ton more than the 5G. Think about it - the current iPod plays video, given, on a small screen. They release a "complementary product" which has a bigger screen. First of all, it aint complementary, because nobody buys both. Second, they'd make a lot more money if they replaced the 5G and bumped the price up 50 bucks, rather than make an expensive "complementary product" very few will buy (instead thinking the 5G is good enough).

I personally would be willing to pay $600 for the highest end iPod if it be fullscreen and touch screen and all that. But, if it's only going to be a complementary product, I might as well buy the 5G tomorrow and enjoy it. Which of course, I won't do, because these rumors have been thoroughly unreliable and this doesn't even make much sense. Hopefully Apple isn't that stuck in developing the 6G.

kerpow
May 19, 2006, 06:37 AM
Is it possiblle to run other versions of Windows in Boot Camp? I'd be really interested in running Windows Server 2003, most XP drivers usually work in Server 2003. I'd love to run a Citrix server if I buy a MacBook. SQL 2005 would be good as well.

The specs are definitely up to it - 1gb RAM, Dual Core 2.0 ghz.

CrazyWingman
May 19, 2006, 07:46 AM
Visio
Project
Access
Frontpage

Agh!

Visio -> Use OmniGraffle (or xfig if you swing that way) - so much better
Project -> What are you, a PHB?
Access -> No personal experience, but I hear the words "piece of ****" come out of the mouths of those who have used it often enough that I expect there is something better available.
Frontpage -> Absolute piece of ****. Please do not use this program. It generates absolutely horrid HTML and should be avoided at all costs.

Evangelion
May 19, 2006, 08:14 AM
Maybe the cube effect but more manual like in XGL. Look up XGL on YouTube to see some examples. It's pretty rockin'.

It would be cool if Expose had a little bounce to it like it does here.
About 1 minute in is where the magic happens.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDD1N7NdCmI

The best XGL-video I have ever seen is propably this (http://www.heartsaffection.com/view.php?page=xgl-compiz)

morespce54
May 19, 2006, 08:17 AM
I have tried getting a few people to switch, they keep calling me an undercover apple sales rep.

Oh I know what you talking about... :D

morespce54
May 19, 2006, 08:35 AM
Is it possiblle to run other versions of Windows in Boot Camp? I'd be really interested in running Windows Server 2003, most XP drivers usually work in Server 2003.

Personally, I tried but I couldn't make it without a "slip-streamed" copy of XP (XP with SP 2 on the same CD)... :(

RodThePlod
May 19, 2006, 11:02 AM
They release a "complementary product" which has a bigger screen. First of all, it aint complementary, because nobody buys both. Second, they'd make a lot more money if they replaced the 5G and bumped the price up 50 bucks, rather than make an expensive "complementary product" very few will buy (instead thinking the 5G is good enough).

I think the complentary product will include a lot more features than just a wide/touch screen.

More PDA-type functionality and Bluetooth support is a given in this scenario - pricing the 6G comfortably above the 5G.

The 5G would probably be tweaked at the same time to increase capacity.

If you want a big capacity music player with basic video ability, go for the 5G - if you want music, full screen video, meatier PDA functionality and extras such as Bluetooth, plump for the 6G.

Then, the line up of iPod shuffle, iPod nano, iPod and iPod <whatever> caters to an extremely wide range of potential customers...

:cool:

RodC
--
www.expodition.com - for iPod users who love to travel

Marx55
May 19, 2006, 11:12 AM
Apple can build not THE ULTIMATE AND UNVERSAL COMPUTER:

A Mactel that can boot as Mac OS X, Linux and Windows. Even better: boot as Mac OS X and then open Linux and Windows as separate windows to copy/paste from them.

We need them for our University computing rooms!

Leondunkleyc
May 19, 2006, 06:06 PM

(L)
May 19, 2006, 07:31 PM
I think the complentary product will include a lot more features than just a wide/touch screen.

More PDA-type functionality and Bluetooth support is a given in this scenario - pricing the 6G comfortably above the 5G.

The 5G would probably be tweaked at the same time to increase capacity.

If you want a big capacity music player with basic video ability, go for the 5G - if you want music, full screen video, meatier PDA functionality and extras such as Bluetooth, plump for the 6G.

Then, the line up of iPod shuffle, iPod nano, iPod and iPod <whatever> caters to an extremely wide range of potential customers...

:cool:

RodC
--

I guess... Still, then it would be an iPDA, not an iPod, really. And would not have to be as small...maybe even having a cover of some sort. Yuck.

5G is looking quite attractive...but then, I can wait 6 months, no problem.

jonharris200
May 20, 2006, 08:06 AM
Two wedding proposals with the opening of the new Fifth Avenue Apple Store!

The 0500 hrs time lapse movie (http://images.apple.com/movies/us/apple/fifthavenue/timelapse0500.mov) shows a gent holding up three pages from a sketchpad in sequence, which say: Uschi Lang / I love you / Will you marry me?

Ifoapplestore.com also reports (http://ifostore.ord.cachefly.net/fifth_avenue/index.html) that the guy at #8 in the queue also proposed to his girlfriend yesterday - and she said YES.

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread. Re-posting to Fifth Avenue thread.

RodThePlod
May 20, 2006, 08:43 AM
I guess... Still, then it would be an iPDA, not an iPod, really. And would not have to be as small...maybe even having a cover of some sort. Yuck.

Judging by their current design successes, if any one can integrate a cover into an iPod well, Apple can.

For example, I can see a hard cover that protects the full screen which has a small LCD on the outside and also a traditional touchpad interface. So when the 6G is closed, it looks very similar to a traditional iPod.

The hard cover can be designed so that when you open it, it can pivot/spin back around on itself so that the touchpad is useable for the wide screen as well.

;)

RodC
--

blimundus
May 22, 2006, 03:48 AM
Ubuntu with the XGL cube, with Windows and MacOSX on the other sides of the cube usings parallels... Quite an amazing video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE1XQyT_IbA&feature=Views&page=2&t=t&f=b

SC68Cal
May 22, 2006, 10:31 AM
I would love to cube between OSX and windows.
"Oh, I need an address for my iPhone, let me pause HL:2 and cube over... okay, here it is... While I'm at it, I think I'll bluetooth sync it to my iPad (fullscreen iPod)... done... cubes back to windows, continues playing HL:2."

The ultimate dream, my friends. :D

That would be sweet.

mercury26
May 22, 2006, 11:52 AM
Agh!

Visio -> Use OmniGraffle (or xfig if you swing that way) - so much better

OmniGraffle and Concept Draw are nice if someone sends you a drawing as a Visio XML file. But when most of the Visio world does not save in this format but as the proprietary vsd format, so you either have have someone re-save it and send it out (not always possible) or find a Windows PC with Visio to convert it. The programs are pretty good, but not completely cross-platform compatible.

Cheers,

:: Chuck