PDA

View Full Version : Advice on an Ancient Game

Kuru Kuru
May 18, 2006, 01:24 PM
So... I really want to get my mother a new laptop. There are two options: the new, wonderfully inexpensive MacBooks, and the G4 iBooks. What could make me consider an iBook (besides the price) you say?
Well, truth is, my mum still uses Classic.
Gasp.
What for?
There's this game she loves - I don't know if any of you remember it - called Shanghai II. It's a mahjong (or however you spell it) tile game, that has different tilesets and offers you a fortune each time you complete one. And it only runs in classic.
So far I have been unable to find an OS X version of the same franchise, let alone one that's universal =/ It may seem trite, but does anyone know where I could locate such a thing for my dear mother? I would love to get her a speedy new Intel MacBook...
Thanks!

DougTheImpaler
May 18, 2006, 01:53 PM
gamehouse.com has MahJong Medley. It's an OS X native app, and it shoudl run just fine in Rosetta, as it works great on a G3 500 iBook. I bought it for my wife and she's hooked on it...it's even got a free demo to try it for an hour.

Leareth
May 18, 2006, 02:17 PM
Try

Burning Monkey Mah Jong 2 ,
MahJong Mac 1.0
MahJong Towers
MahJongQuest....the list is pretty long
I know that a few of them are even freeware...
just google it

jared_kipe
May 18, 2006, 02:52 PM
Get her an ibook, parents care about what they want, not what you want. I doubt your mom is like "oh damn why I only wish I had a really bitchin fast machine"

No she really really wants to play the game she likes, and probably could care less if its 2 times as fast at SPEC benchmarks.