PDA

View Full Version : Any media players out there support IDX and SUB subtitle files?

DevilsRejection
May 18, 2006, 03:46 PM
I got my Mac about a week ago, and it's a strange new world with one
problem. I love foreign films, I have a large collection and download
a new one almost every week. They have .sub and .idx formatted
subtitles.

I need a player that can play them.

VLC DOESN'T

Temujin
May 18, 2006, 05:08 PM
VLC DOESN'T
It DO support subs

theorem7
May 18, 2006, 05:12 PM
Well, if you can't get it to work with VLC, you could try MPlayerOSX (http://mplayerosx.sourceforge.net/), which has support for .sub and .idx. Although as the other poster said, I belive VLC does support them, it may just need it in a different location or something like that.

Temujin
May 18, 2006, 05:22 PM
1. Open VLC
2. Open File
3. Select a media file (browse)
4. Select "Load subtitles file" and press settings
5. Find your sub
6. Enjoy :)

DevilsRejection
May 18, 2006, 05:34 PM
vlc Doesn't Support Idx And Sub Files

milkdev
May 18, 2006, 06:34 PM
You got money from friendly people to buy a Mac.
Now you're getting help from friendly people here at MacRumors.

And all you do is shouting around and complaining about things you're just to daft to manage (like using the Mighty Mouse or Front Row etc).

No one should've given you one cent! I still can't believe someone gave you over a thousand bucks for absolutely nothing.

What kind of guy are you?!

:mad:

Temujin
May 18, 2006, 07:26 PM
You got money from friendly people to buy a Mac.
Now you're getting help from friendly people here at MacRumors.

And all you do is shouting around and complaining about things you're just to daft to manage (like using the Mighty Mouse or Front Row etc).

No one should've given you one cent! I still can't believe someone gave you over a thousand bucks for absolutely nothing.

What kind of guy are you?!

:mad:
Im with you all the way :cool:

DevilsRejection
May 18, 2006, 08:00 PM
my problem dear milkdev is that people think VLC plays everything when it infact doesn't.

i've even attempted vlc to solve my problem, yet people are still telling me to try vlc.

how would you feel if you got a pair of sneakers as a gift, and you specifically told the person you're a size 12 but got a size 10 instead no matter how many times you told them you are a 12.

poor metaphor, but it gets the point across. i'm not shouting at all, merely telling people that vlc won't fix my issue and if i get one more comment on my blog, email in my inbox, or reply to this thread telling me to try VLC then i'm going to go bonkers.

janey
May 18, 2006, 08:13 PM
if you have access to a windows machine, use vobsub to convert idx+sub to srt or something else vlc can play ;)

don't know of any mac tools to do it, then again, idx+sub is a PITA and most of my subs are srt (in which i can convert to something like dvdsp subs with titlelab).

Wait, got one. Not easy, but no Windows needed: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14065
Not sure if it works, but probably worth a try.

Or try this to play: http://www.cellulo.info/

DevilsRejection
May 19, 2006, 03:39 AM
nope doesn't work. infact it's the first time i had to hard reboot my system :(

bump, thanks for trying

janey
May 19, 2006, 04:05 AM
Okay, do not shoot me, but how about this:
VLC does have support for idx/sub files.

Go to File > Open File (not quick open)
Load subtitles file
When choosing the subtitle file, choose the idx and not the sub file (the person tells me that they're having no trouble choosing either, but the vlc userguide says idx)
Ignore the font properties.
Play.
Go to Video > Subtitles Track and see if there's something you can select there if you don't see the subs

Please just give it one more try! :p

DevilsRejection
May 19, 2006, 07:14 AM
main: no suitable access module for `/Users/Stefan/Desktop/alt.binaries.movies.divx/du-subs-fico/du-cd2-fico.sub'
vobsub: couldn't open .sub Vobsub file: /Users/Stefan/Desktop/alt.binaries.movies.divx/du-subs-fico/du-cd2-fico.sub
subtitle: failed to recognize subtitle type
main: no suitable demux module for `/subtitle:///Users/Stefan/Desktop/alt.binaries.movies.divx/du-subs-fico/du-cd2-fico.idx'
macosx: Error: Unrecognized format for '/Users/Stefan/Desktop/alt.binaries.movies.divx/du-subs-fico/du-cd2-fico.idx'

nope, she doesn't work

edit: I LOVE YOU, after reading that error code i realized that the sub and isx must be in the same folder! my god! kisses upon kisses upon kisses! thanks!

khisayruou
May 19, 2006, 08:38 AM
edit: I LOVE YOU, after reading that error code i realized that the sub and isx must be in the same folder! my god! kisses upon kisses upon kisses! thanks!

sigh...I always thought that was common sense, maybe thats just me.

vlc Does Support Idx And Sub Files

Compile 'em all
May 19, 2006, 09:36 AM
vlc Does Support Idx And Sub Files :D

Temujin
May 19, 2006, 09:53 AM
sigh...I always thought that was common sense, maybe thats just me.

Nope common sense!!!

janey
May 19, 2006, 07:13 PM
oh my god this is so hysterical :p

next time i'm never making assumptions. i figured your idx and sub files were together cause they go together or something :S

DevilsRejection
May 19, 2006, 08:57 PM
the idiot who rar'd them has them in seperate folders. now i learned and will never repeat this mistake again.

huge thanks to everyone, i was wrong, you were all right, in the end i learned a lesson and i thank you for correcting me.

lacunainc
May 27, 2006, 10:41 AM
Hi there, concerning vlc and subs i got another problem... after installing quicktime, neither vlc or windows media player show my subs anymore... worked fine with VobSub till then... any ideas how to fix that?
Tried un- and reinstall quicktime and vobsub already, didnt help...:confused:

Givega
Aug 16, 2008, 08:47 AM
look dude if you are having a problem with vlc don't fret all you have to do is have your .sub in the same folder with the same file name except replace the .(insert your type of movie file here) with .(insert your type of subtitle file here) i'm having zero troubles with it right now, but good luck.