PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3 on MacBook...

br00t4l michael
May 18, 2006, 03:54 PM
I'm ordering a new macbook today (2ghz, 1gb RAM, 80gb hdd) and I play video games a lot..just..not on a laptop.

I'm just wondering if Doom 3 or maybe Halo or something will run on the macbook with the specifications that I'm getting? I know the graphics card is supposedly bad but is that reason enough for the game to not RUN? or will it just LOOK bad..?

Thanks. (and sorry if this has been asked!)

Dont Hurt Me
May 18, 2006, 03:57 PM
It doesnt have a graphics card, it has a chip thats soldered onto the MB and its the cheapist one Apple could find. Integrated graphics arent for gamers they are for grandma's.

BlizzardBomb
I'm guessing it should be playable. Just without shaders (e.g. looks rubbish).

mrgreen4242
I'm ordering a new macbook today (2ghz, 1gb RAM, 80gb hdd) and I play video games a lot..just..not on a laptop.

I'm just wondering if Doom 3 or maybe Halo or something will run on the macbook with the specifications that I'm getting? I know the graphics card is supposedly bad but is that reason enough for the game to not RUN? or will it just LOOK bad..?

Thanks. (and sorry if this has been asked!)

Halo, maybe. Doom 3 no. The 950 doesn't support many (any?) lighting effects, etc, so even Halo is iffy. Definately no on the Doom 3. The Intel mini (basically same specs as the MB) put up like 8 fps on Doom 3 according to barefeats.com.

On second thought, it MIGHT run a bit better in Windows, with Bootcamp, but not well by any stretch.

Dont Hurt Me
May 18, 2006, 04:01 PM
I'm guessing it should be playable. Just without shaders (e.g. looks rubbish).
Your guess is wrong, Lets stop the spin. Integrated graphics are great for Mail,Internet,not much else.

Sutekidane
May 18, 2006, 04:03 PM
I don't think most integrated graphics support hardware t&l which is required by many games.

Patmian212
May 18, 2006, 04:07 PM
8 FPS, wow I get about 10FPS on my ibook G4

Dont Hurt Me
May 18, 2006, 04:14 PM
Here is a reviewhttp://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2427&p=2 Look forward to 14 fps or less as soon as someone walks into the room. Keep in mind this was with a P4 @3.6 1 gig of ram.