PDA

View Full Version : Must play XBox games?

mrgreen4242
May 18, 2006, 03:56 PM
Well, I think I am going to finally buy an XBox. :p Having had a Mac mini and a GameCube for so long, I feel like I have missed out on a lot of PC/console games in the last couple years. Rather than build a PC or drop $400 on a 360, I figure $90 on a used XBox is a pretty decent buy, especially since there are almost no games over $25 at this point, and most are under $20.

So, what are the "must play" XBox games I should look into? I'll be starting with a Halo-athon, going through both of those games first. I'll definately get Half-Life 2, as well. Apart from that Fable: Lost Levels and Sid Meier's Pirates! are the only other games I know that I would like to try.

I'm not huge on sports games, and unless it's amazingly better than Halo1/2 and Half-Life, I assume that I'll be all FPSes out. GTA games bored the poop out of me as well. I have to get Super Smash Bros. before I get an fighter games for the XBox, too. But puzzle games, adventure games (I'm a HUGE point and click adventure game fan, so anything even sort of like the old Lucas Arts games would be excellent), fun RPGs (as an example, my favorite RPG is Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga for the GBA... FF7 couldn't hold my interest through the first disc), anything else unique or innovative... Thanks for any suggestions!

(Also, just to head off the "OMG why would you buy an XBox?!" comments, I'm not willing to spend $400 on a system without any games, I can go back through a ton of games I missed over the last 3-4 years for very little money, and when I am done with it, I can turn it into a media center for DiVX playback and upscaled 1080i DVD playback. Plus, I'm only a semi-graphics whore... 480p 16:9 Xbox games will be a treat after stretched mode GCN games, I can wait another 12 months for a 360 price drop. :) ).

XNine
May 18, 2006, 04:13 PM
Well, I think I am going to finally buy an XBox. :p Having had a Mac mini and a GameCube for so long, I feel like I have missed out on a lot of PC/console games in the last couple years. Rather than build a PC or drop $400 on a 360, I figure $90 on a used XBox is a pretty decent buy, especially since there are almost no games over $25 at this point, and most are under $20.

So, what are the "must play" XBox games I should look into? I'll be starting with a Halo-athon, going through both of those games first. I'll definately get Half-Life 2, as well. Apart from that Fable: Lost Levels and Sid Meier's Pirates! are the only other games I know that I would like to try.

I'm not huge on sports games, and unless it's amazingly better than Halo1/2 and Half-Life, I assume that I'll be all FPSes out. GTA games bored the poop out of me as well. I have to get Super Smash Bros. before I get an fighter games for the XBox, too. But puzzle games, adventure games (I'm a HUGE point and click adventure game fan, so anything even sort of like the old Lucas Arts games would be excellent), fun RPGs (as an example, my favorite RPG is Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga for the GBA... FF7 couldn't hold my interest through the first disc), anything else unique or innovative... Thanks for any suggestions!

(Also, just to head off the "OMG why would you buy an XBox?!" comments, I'm not willing to spend $400 on a system without any games, I can go back through a ton of games I missed over the last 3-4 years for very little money, and when I am done with it, I can turn it into a media center for DiVX playback and upscaled 1080i DVD playback. Plus, I'm only a semi-graphics whore... 480p 16:9 Xbox games will be a treat after stretched mode GCN games, I can wait another 12 months for a 360 price drop. :) ).

Just to let you know the Xbox sucks for content streaming unless it's music. Video? Forget it. It won't even play ReplayTV shows without grinding to a halt. There isn't enough RAM in the system to cache TV shows while streaming.

As for Games,
DOA all of them (DOA3, DOAXVB, DOA Ultimate)
Ninja Gaiden
Psi-Ops
Halo 1/2
Burn Out

all are good games to start with.

Haoshiro
May 18, 2006, 04:39 PM
Just to preface, this list might include some games that came out on other platforms (even GameCube). Also, these are games I either played, had a friend who loved them, or heard great things about but never had a chance to try...

NOTE: I had a huge list of games... then the "Number List" feature killed it. *screams*

Dagless
May 18, 2006, 05:00 PM
Number list destroyed a couple of my posts too :( ALAS!

Bad for video streaming? nonsense. I've streamed video across loads with no problem, no dropping frames or anything. I have the cache at 4000-something mb. perfect on my end.

I'd recommend Halo 1 and Panzer Dragoon Orta. I wasn't too keen on the Xbox's lineup personally. Still won't sell it though, those 2 games really are fantastic.
really is all I can recommend :o

rccola70
May 18, 2006, 06:20 PM
Halo 1
Halo 2

Mord
May 18, 2006, 06:24 PM
get xbox live.

crimson skies.

Verto
May 18, 2006, 06:25 PM
Ninja Gaiden is a great game, but don't bother if you aren't up for a challenge.

Splinter Cell is great too.
Knights of the Old Republic was fun and not-too-difficult. KOTOR2 hasn't grabbed my attention, though - I'm still on the first planet.

savar
May 18, 2006, 06:53 PM
Reading your post just made me buy Half-life 2.

I like FPSs a lot, I agree that Halo2 is a "must have".

You might also like Hitman: Contracts. Its the third or fourth in the series but I think its a lot more fun than its predecessors. The game is a little frustrating at times but the artwork is incredible.

Anyway, Halo 2 is the only game thats been in my Xbox for months now.

I'm not getting a 360 at least until Halo 3 comes out and I have an HDTV. So you're not alone.

mrgreen4242
May 18, 2006, 07:50 PM
Just to let you know the Xbox sucks for content streaming unless it's music. Video? Forget it. It won't even play ReplayTV shows without grinding to a halt. There isn't enough RAM in the system to cache TV shows while streaming.

As for Games,
DOA all of them (DOA3, DOAXVB, DOA Ultimate)
Ninja Gaiden
Psi-Ops
Halo 1/2
Burn Out

all are good games to start with.

Heh, you shuold go talk to the 100's of people on the XBox Media Player site... I think they would all disagree with you. Anyways, I'd probably upgrade the internal drive to 20 or 40gb's anyways, and store most of the video on there.

People have pretty good things to say about 480p widescreen DiVX/MPEG4 and DVD playing upconverted content to 1080i with thier XBox and XBMP.

Anyways, thanks for the game recomendations... what kind of game is Psi Ops?

2nyRiggz
May 18, 2006, 07:53 PM
Ninja Gaiden Black is hard as hell but still good....Freedom fighters, Otogi 1 and 2, Halo.

Bless

Dagless
May 18, 2006, 07:53 PM
Heh, you shuold go talk to the 100's of people on the XBox Media Player site... I think they would all disagree with you. Anyways, I'd probably upgrade the internal drive to 20 or 40gb's anyways, and store most of the video on there.

People have pretty good things to say about 480p widescreen DiVX/MPEG4 and DVD playing upconverted content to 1080i with thier XBox and XBMP.

3rd person shooter sorta game. It's actually very good, I only played a bit but found it very enjoyable. I really gotta play my Xbox more :o Forza is just the best racing sim I've played, Burnout-something was snazzy. Psi-Ops was fun. Try the Sonic Gem Collection or whatever it's called, was very good.

I still stand by Halo 1 and Panzer Dragoon as my only "must play" games though.

macsrockmysocks
May 18, 2006, 07:58 PM
Halo 2 and get Live!!!! You NEED live!!! Seriously, you do. It gets old playing byl yourslef all of the time. Also, if u get live, watch out for modders, standbyers, superbouncers(which isn't illegal, but is very aggervating:D ), and bridgers.

Dagless
May 18, 2006, 08:14 PM
You don't need Live. Get Xlink Kai. I used it after my Xbox Live subscription went off and didn't look back.

mrgreen4242
May 18, 2006, 08:22 PM
Oh, forgot about Forza. Looks sexy as hell. Thanks for that one. Ninja Gaiden looks like fun, although if it's as hard as everyone says, it might not be my cup of tea...

Can anyone clear up for me if Fable:Lost Levels is an expansion or just an improved rerelease of the original game?

Gizmotoy
May 18, 2006, 08:22 PM

Definately agree on that one. Don't know why he'd think that it chokes. I have an XBMC setup now, and I stream video from my ReplayTV with no problems whatsoever. In fact, it looks identical to the output of the ReplayTV itself in quality. I've also streamed Divx and Mpegs over the network from a desktop PC with it, as well as music directly from iTunes using the iTunes sharing feature, which XBMC supports. It's really the perfect solution for streaming media, plus you can get one for under $200, chip and all. Great deal.

mrgreen4242
May 18, 2006, 08:28 PM
You don't need Live. Get Xlink Kai. I used it after my Xbox Live subscription went off and didn't look back.

I was looking at that... looks like I'll need to softmod/chip the system to make that work? I was planning on doing that anyways, so not a big deal... is the Halo2 community pretty active through that "service"? I'm not to keen on paying $50 a year just for a multiplayer game or two; I'd play WoW if I wanted that. :p

EDIT: Er, or not. Looks like there is just some way to integrate the XBox right into the Kia network w/o a PC if you have it modded?

mrgreen4242
May 18, 2006, 08:37 PM
Definately agree on that one. Don't know why he'd think that it chokes. I have an XBMC setup now, and I stream video from my ReplayTV with no problems whatsoever. In fact, it looks identical to the output of the ReplayTV itself in quality. I've also streamed Divx and Mpegs over the network from a desktop PC with it, as well as music directly from iTunes using the iTunes sharing feature, which XBMC supports. It's really the perfect solution for streaming media, plus you can get one for under $200, chip and all. Great deal.

Ya, that'll be a nice secondary use for it. I have a multiformat DVD player, but it's a PITA to burn discs, etc. Plus, my TV really shines with 1080i content, even if it's just upconverted. I'll definately softmod my system, if I can swing it (haven't checked the Dashboard version yet), so the whole setup will run me under $120 (for the Xbox, component cable, and DVD remote). Like you said, pretty good deal.

Anyways, the actual reason I replied was because I wanted to ask you how the XBMC DVD player was nowadays... it didn't use to suppoer DVD menus, but sounds like it does now? Will it rip a movie to the HDD (not transcode, just dump the decrpyted VOB files to the drive)? Do you have an HDTV? If so, how's the quality of the scaler for SD material? I've heard it's good for 1080i, but the de-interlacer isn't the greatest, so 720p isn't stellar? Sorry for all the Q's, I've had a tough time getting recent info on the package...

Oh, and didn't mention this, but I am absolutely impressed with how good Halo 1 looks at 480p widescreen with the component cables. Wow. Very smooth, surprisingly nice textures, incredibly fluid animation, though. Looks like it's pulling off 60 full 720x480 frames per second. I'm excited to see Halo 2. :)

ReanimationLP
May 18, 2006, 09:46 PM

See, the problem lies in that Onizuka is a diehard Sony fanboy.

Tommyg117
May 18, 2006, 10:14 PM
Ninja Gaiden- SO hard. But definitely worth it, truly amazing game and satisfying when you beat it.

mrgreen4242
May 18, 2006, 10:32 PM
Ninja Gaiden- SO hard. But definitely worth it, truly amazing game and satisfying when you beat it.

I tend to get frustrated and quit games that are too hard. I'm lazy. Games are about fun. If it makes me want to pull out my hair, it's not fun. Sure, if a boss is very hard to beat, but the rest of the game is the "right" level of difficulty, that's fine I'll plug away at the boss until I can move on, but if an entire game is frustratingly difficult... well...

A good example of this is Metroid Prime. Fun game right? I thought so. Except that I, for whatever reason, get lost in that game in every level. I can't do it. I don't know why, but the level design in that game confuses the piss out of me. There are a couple other FPS games like that for me. Surprisingly Halo isn't one of them. I played a good chunk of that game on my iMac last year when a friend was visiting for a long weekend and brought the disc over... the level design was good (to me): it was almost always very clear where you are supposed to go next, but at the same time there is SOME challenge to it (although, I'll admit that on 'normal' it's a pretty easy game - but I'm cool with that, it's fun)!

Wow, as big of a Nintendo fanboy as I am, I think I just said that MS' flagship FPS franchise is better than Nintendos... Ah well, they still have Mario [insert genre here] and Zelda! :)

Counterfit
May 18, 2006, 10:54 PM
I'll agree on Forza (I've been playing it more than anything now. The online community is multiple powers better than Halo's. People actually hold real conversations instead of constantly trash talking.)
I liked Psi-Ops when I had it in from GameFly, but I canceled the service before I could finish the game.
Snowblind was pretty cool (like Psi-Ops, except FPS, and with bionic implants rather than mind powers), but it only had one level of difficulty (that I could find anyway)
If you like RPGs like Fable (I have the standard, not the later one), and you are somewhat interested in East-Asia culture/mythology/etc., you will LOVE Jade Empire. I beat it through with one character, and I have the special edition which enables a secret 4th character, so I think I should get back to playing it again.
Burnout was pretty cool (on GameCube anyway. I don't see why it should play any differently on XBox), but unless you don't mind EA's dirty habits, you can probably skip Burnout3 (I'll admit that the crash challenges are fun).

I think once the price of the 360 drops, I'll get that and Forza 2. I love (good) racing sims. ;)

A good example of this is Metroid Prime. Fun game right? I thought so. Except that I, for whatever reason, get lost in that game in every level. I can't do it. I don't know why, but the level design in that game confuses the piss out of me. There are a couple other FPS games like that for me. Surprisingly Halo isn't one of them.
So, you get completely lost in a game with a 3D map available, but in a game with no map available what so ever, you do just fine? You are never navigating for me. :p
I got myself turned around and going the wrong direction in both games. I usually realized it at the next room though.

DougTheImpaler
May 19, 2006, 07:53 AM
Crimson Skies
Unreal Championship 2 (the original was just UT2003, the second is totally original)
Ninja Gaiden
Halo 1/2 (just because you have to; not because I liked them that much)
MechAssault 1/2 (because they are incredible)
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Crazy Taxi 3 (not as good as 1 and 2 on the Dreamcast, but still fun)

Did the second and third Prince of Persia games come out for the Cube? If not, buy them both and thank me later.

mrgreen4242
May 19, 2006, 07:54 AM
I'll agree on Forza (I've been playing it more than anything now. The online community is multiple powers better than Halo's. People actually hold real conversations instead of constantly trash talking.)
I liked Psi-Ops when I had it in from GameFly, but I canceled the service before I could finish the game.
Snowblind was pretty cool (like Psi-Ops, except FPS, and with bionic implants rather than mind powers), but it only had one level of difficulty (that I could find anyway)
If you like RPGs like Fable (I have the standard, not the later one), and you are somewhat interested in East-Asia culture/mythology/etc., you will LOVE Jade Empire. I beat it through with one character, and I have the special edition which enables a secret 4th character, so I think I should get back to playing it again.
Burnout was pretty cool (on GameCube anyway. I don't see why it should play any differently on XBox), but unless you don't mind EA's dirty habits, you can probably skip Burnout3 (I'll admit that the crash challenges are fun).

I think once the price of the 360 drops, I'll get that and Forza 2. I love (good) racing sims. ;)

So, you get completely lost in a game with a 3D map available, but in a game with no map available what so ever, you do just fine? You are never navigating for me. :p
I got myself turned around and going the wrong direction in both games. I usually realized it at the next room though.

Laugh, I know it sounds funny, but the map, while helpful, isn't amazingly useful. There's so much backtracking and whatnot that I get confused where I am actually trying to get. Using the map (and the markers they put on it for you) I can do OK, but it's boring/frustrating to keep checking a map rather than actually playing. With Halo, it's pretty obvious (at least so far, about 50-60% into the game) where you are supposed to be headed, and how to get there, without needing a map. Plus, the "on-board navigation system with audio prompts" pretty much alerts you when it's time to turn or go somewhere.

They're two very different type of games, is all. Metroid is a 3D adventure almost platformer FPS... Halo is an action FPS, pure and simple. I just have trouble with complex 3D maps. :p It's kinda funny, since 2D adventure games are some of my favorite of all time... ah well.

Ok, so Fable, Forza, Half-Life 2, and Pirates! are on my must have list, and Psi-Ops and Jade Empire are on the check out and consider lists. Very good. :)

MacRumorUser
May 19, 2006, 07:58 AM
My top xbox games

Crimson Skies
Grabbed by the ghoulies
Beyond good and evil
Farrenheit
Metal Arms
Scrapland
Dead Or Alive Ultimate
Panzer Dragoon
Gun Valkaryie

mrgreen4242
May 19, 2006, 08:01 AM
Crimson Skies
Unreal Championship 2 (the original was just UT2003, the second is totally original)
Ninja Gaiden
Halo 1/2 (just because you have to; not because I liked them that much)
MechAssault 1/2 (because they are incredible)
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Crazy Taxi 3 (not as good as 1 and 2 on the Dreamcast, but still fun)

Did the second and third Prince of Persia games come out for the Cube? If not, buy them both and thank me later.

I'll have to add Crimson Skies to my check and consider list. Hear lots of good things about that one, and you're the second in this thread to recommend it. I remember the Crazy Taxi games (arcade maybe? never had a DC), and I wonder if my wife might like those. I'll have to try them out.

mrgreen4242
May 19, 2006, 08:15 AM
My top xbox games

Crimson Skies
Grabbed by the ghoulies
Beyond good and evil
Farrenheit
Metal Arms
Scrapland
Dead Or Alive Ultimate
Panzer Dragoon
Gun Valkaryie

#3 (or 4?) for Crimson Skies, so I'll put it in the must have... Thanks for reminding me about Beyond Good and Evil! That ones on the list for sure... wanted to play that when it was announced as PC game.

Ok, how about any good light gun games? I have a CRT HDTV so no problems there. I love arcase light gun shooters, any recommendations in that one? Two player would be good, my wife enjoys those as well. Also, any brand of light guns to avoid/seek out?

Edit: Laugh, looks like the PS2 is where it's at for light gun games... only 2 plus a multiplayer mode of another game? Weak! Time crisis would have made it worthwhile, but just one House of the Dead and Silentscope, not so much.

DougTheImpaler
May 19, 2006, 08:39 AM
The only lightgun games I'm aware of are that Konami sniper one whose name escapes me, and House of the Dead III from Sega.

Gizmotoy
May 19, 2006, 09:42 AM
Anyways, the actual reason I replied was because I wanted to ask you how the XBMC DVD player was nowadays... it didn't use to suppoer DVD menus, but sounds like it does now? Will it rip a movie to the HDD (not transcode, just dump the decrpyted VOB files to the drive)? Do you have an HDTV? If so, how's the quality of the scaler for SD material? I've heard it's good for 1080i, but the de-interlacer isn't the greatest, so 720p isn't stellar? Sorry for all the Q's, I've had a tough time getting recent info on the package...

Oh, and didn't mention this, but I am absolutely impressed with how good Halo 1 looks at 480p widescreen with the component cables. Wow. Very smooth, surprisingly nice textures, incredibly fluid animation, though. Looks like it's pulling off 60 full 720x480 frames per second. I'm excited to see Halo 2. :)

Sorry, lost track of the thread for a bit. One note: I would highly recommend chipping as opposed to soft-modding. Figuring that you have to buy one of the few games that allows it to begin with, it's really not much more expensive. Soft-modding has many, many problems, including completely disabling your ability to use XBox live, if that's important to you. I used the budget Xecuter 2.6ce, which I would recommend due to its low price.

The DVD player is much better now. I don't use it as I have an upconverting Samsung DVD player, but I did notice it does have menus now. There are programs that will rip any disc you put in the box to the hard drive, including games and DVDs, but I can't remember the name right now. X-Copy, maybe?

The upconverter is good for 1080i, which is the best my TV handles. I've got a 1st-gen CRT HDTV, and it's missing 720p, so I can't help there. 1080i looks amazing, though. 720p should be more processor-intensive, but I saw on the XBMC site that the XBox can upconvert to that in realtime, but cannot play an HD-native sources (like Divx, etc) without killing the framerate.

Also, be careful what upgraded HD you pick. Not all of them can be "locked", which would prevent you from booting the standard XBox dash. It's a process. Definately worth it once you get it up, though.

So, hope that helps a bit.

mrgreen4242
May 19, 2006, 09:59 AM
Sorry, lost track of the thread for a bit. One note: I would highly recommend chipping as opposed to soft-modding. Figuring that you have to buy one of the few games that allows it to begin with, it's really not much more expensive. Soft-modding has many, many problems, including completely disabling your ability to use XBox live, if that's important to you. I used the budget Xecuter 2.6ce, which I would recommend due to its low price.

The DVD player is much better now. I don't use it as I have an upconverting Samsung DVD player, but I did notice it does have menus now. There are programs that will rip any disc you put in the box to the hard drive, including games and DVDs, but I can't remember the name right now. X-Copy, maybe?

The upconverter is good for 1080i, which is the best my TV handles. I've got a 1st-gen CRT HDTV, and it's missing 720p, so I can't help there. 1080i looks amazing, though. 720p should be more processor-intensive, but I saw on the XBMC site that the XBox can upconvert to that in realtime, but cannot play an HD-native sources (like Divx, etc) without killing the framerate.

Also, be careful what upgraded HD you pick. Not all of them can be "locked", which would prevent you from booting the standard XBox dash. It's a process. Definately worth it once you get it up, though.

So, hope that helps a bit.

Yes, very helpful! My TV is a 1080i/480p set, too, so I'm glad to hear that it looks good there. I don't really care about Live (although I am going to set up that Xlink Kia application and give that a try), and I can rent the needed game for $1.50 at the store accross the street. Need to make a USB adaptor cable, but I'm handy with a soldering iron, have plenty of extra USB extension cables around, would just have to buy an XBox controller extension cable. Seems like it's simpler and cheaper than cracking the system open for a chip, but I will definately look at the one you recommend.

I may or may not upgrade the HDD... I will if I use it as a DVD dump, but for just AVI/DiVX files 8gb+streaming from my mini in addition to being an upconverting DVD player should suit me just fine.

Hm, then I can move my multiformat DVD player into the bedroom, and give my sister the $30 one we have in there now. Brilliant!

mrgreen4242
May 19, 2006, 12:02 PM
Sorry to keep dumping comments on this thread, but I just discovered the SmartJoy FRAG keyboard and mouse adaptor for the XBox... I'm sure all you XBox owners knew about this, but it was news to me! This is perhaps the best thing I've learned this week. I'm ordering one right now! I'll now probably get all of the [good] FPS games for the Xbox... I was limiting myself to a few "great" ones, just because I don't care for the controller setup... keyboard and mouse, on the other hand... :drool: :p

Now I just have to figure out a comfortable way to use it on my couch, and get that Xlink service working so I can get in on some multiplayer games. Woo! :)

rob finch
May 19, 2006, 12:08 PM
XLink is very good for Halo2 games, you'll get plenty of matches there to join in with. But call it KIA (South Korean manufacturer of cars) and you'll be 1 millionth person to do that and get flamed! :) It's KAI. You don't need a modded box to use it, but will need your Mac or a PC to run the software.

I'll add my vote for Crimson Skies and Psi Ops, both very good. I also recently enjoyed Black very much. If you like uncomplicated shoot the hell out of everything (and I mean everything!) FPS's, you'll like this. Half Life 2 has the best physics engine of any game I've seen. The Baldur's Gate series is the only adventure style game I've played, but I liked both of them. Red Dead Revolver is a spaghetti western style shooter, which I thought had a lot of atmosphere. I'm an FPS whore, so I can also recommend Timesplitters 2 and Timesplitters Future Perfect!

I'm tempted to get Beyond Good & Evil myself now, I'd missed that one!

mrgreen4242
May 19, 2006, 12:13 PM
XLink is very good for Halo2 games, you'll get plenty of matches there to join in with. But call it KIA (South Korean manufacturer of cars) and you'll be 1 millionth person to do that and get flamed! :) It's KAI. You don't need a modded box to use it, but will need your Mac or a PC to run the software.

I'll add my vote for Crimson Skies and Psi Ops, both very good. I also recently enjoyed Black very much. If you like uncomplicated shoot the hell out of everything (and I mean everything!) FPS's, you'll like this. Half Life 2 has the best physics engine of any game I've seen. The Baldur's Gate series is the only adventure style game I've played, but I liked both of them. Red Dead Revolver is a spaghetti western style shooter, which I thought had a lot of atmosphere. I'm an FPS whore, so I can also recommend Timesplitters 2 and Timesplitters Future Perfect!

I'm tempted to get Beyond Good & Evil myself now, I'd missed that one!

Heh, duly noted on the Kia vs Kai! So, as a self admited FPS whore, have you used the keyb/mouse converter for your Xbox? Any insight? The reviews from "major" gaming sites seem to be "good, but not great"... since I fin dual analog controllers to be "usable, but not good" I am assuming I'll find it an improvement, but I'm also up to hear any comments. :)

Baldurs Gate... I think I played that for the PC many many years ago... I recall liking it, I'll have to check it out post Fable and Beyond Good and Evil... Crimson Skies will come home this weekend... it's $2.99 used at EBGames. :cool:

DougTheImpaler
May 19, 2006, 12:14 PM
BG&E is very good, I just didnt' list it because it wasn't Xbox-exclusive.

I might be wrong, but I don't think the keyboard/mouse is compatible with *every* FPS...but I've nto used it myself.

mrgreen4242
May 19, 2006, 12:21 PM
BG&E is very good, I just didnt' list it because it wasn't Xbox-exclusive.

I might be wrong, but I don't think the keyboard/mouse is compatible with *every* FPS...but I've nto used it myself.

From what I read it just recreates the signal that a controller would generate as best it can based on your keyb/mouse inputs... so rather than tracking the position of the cursor, for example, it likely tracks the relative direction it's moving and speed it's going there, then inturprets that as a direction and amount that you would be pushing the analog stick... anyways, in short it should *work* with any game, but may not work well with some. I'm sure there are enough FPS games that I have missed being a [low end] Mac user for so long that I'll find enough that work well to keep me busy.

Somehow I missed that BGaE was released for the GCN... I had it in my head it was a PC/Xbox only game. Silly me! I'll get whatever version is cheaper. :p

rob finch
May 19, 2006, 01:21 PM
Heh, duly noted on the Kia vs Kai! So, as a self admited FPS whore, have you used the keyb/mouse converter for your Xbox? Any insight? The reviews from "major" gaming sites seem to be "good, but not great"... since I fin dual analog controllers to be "usable, but not good" I am assuming I'll find it an improvement, but I'm also up to hear any comments. :)

Sorry, but I'm strictly dual analogue sticks, at least until the Wii is launched!! I've never been able to get on with keyb/mouse on a PC for gaming. But that's just me, I'm the wrong person to ask really.

A quick search on the KAI forums found this (http://texas.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17400&highlight=smartjoy), it mentions Max Shooter as an alternative which scored 10/10 in a TeamXbox review, although SmartJoy did alright as well.

HTH, Rob.

mrgreen4242
May 19, 2006, 02:10 PM
Sorry, but I'm strictly dual analogue sticks, at least until the Wii is launched!! I've never been able to get on with keyb/mouse on a PC for gaming. But that's just me, I'm the wrong person to ask really.

A quick search on the KAI forums found this (http://texas.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17400&highlight=smartjoy), it mentions Max Shooter as an alternative which scored 10/10 in a TeamXbox review, although SmartJoy did alright as well.

HTH, Rob.

Crazy... I always assumed everyone would be better with keyb/mouse but perhaps it's just what you played with first? Wish I had seen that Max Shooter before! I already ordered the SmartJoy, but I suppose it'll be OK. It looks like the only new feature it added was a speed control, which I am sure would be nice, but I can do without... On the upside, it's a bit more costly sicne it's a newer device, so I saved myself $5. :p

Thanks for the heads up though! BTW, any help on setting up Kai? I downloaded it last night, and it looks to be just a command line program with a config file? I didn't run it yet, but as it didn't come with much in the way of directions I was a bit confused. :o

rob finch
May 20, 2006, 04:51 AM
Yeah, I never played games with a keyboard well, I was always a joystick kinda guy in my early gaming days.

As for KAI, the kaid app you have downloaded runs the engine which handles the traffic. Sign up on the website and get a KAI tag, then edit the kaid.conf file to include your tag and password, and change the autologin value to 1.

If you use a router, you will need to forward a UDP port to your computer running the engine. I usually use port 37500 UDP, put this as enginebind :37500 in kaid.conf

Copy this file into /etc folder.

You'll then need a UI, I use the java version as it's platform independent. Download from here (http://jkaiui.sourceforge.net/). Run kaid and then launch the UI, there's a plug style icon on the top right of the window which will connect to the local engine.

I'm setting this up on my mac mini for the first time, so forgive me if it takes me a few goes! They are working on Xlink One, which will make all this as easy as falling off a log, but I got this working on Linux before so it shouldn't take too long.

mrgreen4242
May 20, 2006, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I never played games with a keyboard well, I was always a joystick kinda guy in my early gaming days.

As for KAI, the kaid app you have downloaded runs the engine which handles the traffic. Sign up on the website and get a KAI tag, then edit the kaid.conf file to include your tag and password, and change the autologin value to 1.

If you use a router, you will need to forward a UDP port to your computer running the engine. I usually use port 37500 UDP, put this as enginebind :37500 in kaid.conf

Copy this file into /etc folder.

You'll then need a UI, I use the java version as it's platform independent. Download from here (http://jkaiui.sourceforge.net/). Run kaid and then launch the UI, there's a plug style icon on the top right of the window which will connect to the local engine.

I'm setting this up on my mac mini for the first time, so forgive me if it takes me a few goes! They are working on Xlink One, which will make all this as easy as falling off a log, but I got this working on Linux before so it shouldn't take too long.

Thank you, that was quite helpful. I'll have to set it all up tonight [ugh, I don't want to go to work :p]... I ended up just downloading the installer for my wife's PC and 3 clicks I was up and running :rolleyes: Looks like all the games are marked private, but I suppose these clan guys might like someone to beat on. :p

I'm getting pretty good the the controller on Halo, but the keyboard and mouse will improve my skill level about 10 fold. :) Hopefully it'll be here Monday or Tuesday... I've got to rig up some sort of lap desk for my keyb/mouse between now and then!