Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
It's so not finished yet. But I'm making this vid for my final project on my course. It's going to be 5 minutes long in the end and be more "video" edited. Right now I've got to trim sections down and that.

What else... the music is bad. It worked originally, before I added the girls scenes. Was a little more comedic back then. music will be an altogether different style.
It looks dark through H.263. I wanted a fast export. the 27mb H.264 version is much brighter.

I think thats the disclaimer over and done with. So point your browsers here

http://satansam.co.uk/vids/withmusic.mov

It's going to be a nature-thing in the end. Wasn't originally but the guy scenes looked brown where the girl scenes looked blue. They're going to meet up at a reservoir, showing the ruggedness of the land and the smoothness of the water.

L

Lau

I quite like the music, actually, as it happens. I like the muffled sound with the scenes of the girl. The only thing that bothers me is that it seems remarkably similar to a piece of stop motion animation that was posted here a while back.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Aye it was an inspiration, infact I think it was that vid that pushed me to make my own. I took a little inspiration from The Mills playstation ad too, I shot a scene with cereal in it :D still to be edited together though.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Lau said:
I quite like the music, actually, as it happens. I like the muffled sound with the scenes of the girl. The only thing that bothers me is that it seems remarkably similar to a piece of stop motion animation that was posted here a while back.
Yeah, I've been helping jimmi with his vid, and recognize that mine is being studied as a base piece. No worries here!

And i like the usage of the two colors. I can't wait to see how they combine in the end.

L

Lau

pdpfilms said:
Yeah, I've been helping jimmi with his vid, and recognize that mine is being studied as a base piece. No worries here!

And i like the usage of the two colors. I can't wait to see how they combine in the end.

Nice one, no worries there then. I really liked your film, pdpfilms. Raggedjimmi - one thing to be mega careful with is the whole plagiarism thing - if you've used another video as such a heavy influence, you should definitely quote it in your research when you hand it in.

I'd be tempted to say to try and do your own thing with this though. The animation's got a really nice feel to it, but I can't tell if that's because of the influence of pdpfilms' (which has got a really nice feel to it) or whether it's your style, you know what I mean? I don't necessarily have a problem with the whole waking up bit - it's a natural way to introduce two characters who eventually meet, but maybe different ways they get ready and leave the house might be an idea. The glass of juice, shoes and coat seem a bit similar in my opinion. I know pdpfilms is ok with it, but I'd want to do something different myself, if you know what I mean.

The other link in pdpfilms' thread is a good example of the variety of stuff you can do with the stop motion style.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
We're trying to make a part where headphones slide on one character. using magnets under the jacket.

Another couple of ideas involved watching TV, answering a phone. but they don't take advantage of the stop-motion effect I find. it's quite limiting :eek:
I've filmed some little filler bits too, like a few frames of a light switching on. starting with the aperture wide open and shrinking it down like. mail might be interesting. really have to get my thinking cap on.

I have some ideas for the outdoor shots. Like I want everyone around to be moving fast but the main characters locked in a "slow motion moment" sorta thing. long exposure on the people will be nice, the Mill did something similar but I think the background characters were sharp.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
raggedjimmi said:
I have some ideas for the outdoor shots. Like I want everyone around to be moving fast but the main characters locked in a "slow motion moment" sorta thing. long exposure on the people will be nice, the Mill did something similar but I think the background characters were sharp.
That's so funny. This was the exact scene i was imagining putting in the end of "Morning", but ran out of time. Strange!

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Sorry to drag this back up again, but could a few more people write some mini reviews? I need some opinions and little feedback bits so I can make the video better, and I need something to stick in a feedback form :)

Cheers guys.

octoberdeath

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2005
not bad not bad. i really like the bed covers coming off the most. can't wait to see the finished product!

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Oh lord I'm getting addicted to this. I'ts 1:15am and I've just been doing some more shooting. I'm setting off at 3am to shoot the sun rise. This is going to be quite spectacular. maybe not the whole video, but just an 3456*2304 resolution sun rise. I think I'll cry when I see that in motion.

I'm very happy though. The video is getting better. I did a little test in QT, sped up the footage 2x but was a little too much, so I took off 1/4 of the frame time. It's much better. I've removed a lot of unneeded frames too. some smiles too, which you don't see in the low-res version.
Happiest most at the new original scenes. Things I haven't seen in a stop-motion film yet. I mean they may exist, I've only seen 3 of them! and I have plenty more ideas too :)
Hope to have this done maybe by Monday. I'm handing in this video in 13 days time so it'll certainly be done by then. going to redo the music too on my neighbours grand piano.
keeping these new scenes secret though. I do the same with my games... for some reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.