Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
Okay so here is the deal. i have a perfectly working iMac G5 with the exception of a cracked LCD display. What I am wondering is, because 17" G5 LCDs are so difficult to find, and when i do they are very expensive ($500+!) Can I use a 17" iMac G4 screen? thanks for your help!

AlmightyG5

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
I also am looking for a 17" display for my iMac G5. I have a large blemish from a large amount of pressure on that spot.(Not going to say how that happened...). I know that Apple will not help you or I out because it is not a manufacturer defect. So, IDK what to do.

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
I am in warranty, and under applecare, but unfortunately, they do not cover cracked LCDs due to user error. So, I am ulimately going to sell the machine, but I wanted to know if i could purchase the G4 screen (which is currently 145 on eBay) and replace it. Do you guys think that parting the machine out would be better worth my time and effort then replacing the screen and reselling?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.