PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation Wanted: RPG GBA Game

bobber205
May 19, 2006, 09:07 PM
I am soon taking my four-day drive to Oregon. (only less than 4 weeks)

And I should probabyl start shopping for a GBA game to play on the way there.

Any good games? I've played all of these already:

both Golden Suns
both Advance Wars
both breath of fires

I was thinking about maybe getting Tales of Phantasia or Final Fantasy IV.

Dagless
May 19, 2006, 09:15 PM
Grr, I was going to say Golden Sun. Best RPG I've ever played frankly.

hmm... Final Fantasy? Those old-skool ports are very good.
Pokemon Emerald and FireRed are good. Emerald more-so. I wish I could totally forget about Pokemon Ruby as it really was a GREAT game to play through. least for me! clocked up 50 hours on Ruby. Emerald would have more time with it's more features etc.

evilgEEk
May 19, 2006, 09:25 PM
With what you've already played, I would say Final Fantasy or a Pokemon game.

They just released the first RPG Pokemon for the 'Cube, can't wait to get my hands on it. :)

Haoshiro
May 19, 2006, 09:50 PM
FF5 & 6 are supposed to be coming out this year but I haven't heard a release date yet. If they are out before you leave, FF6 comes highly recommended.

Also:
- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
- Fire Emblem Series
- Zelda: The Minish Cap

Mario & Luigi is an actual RPG, The Fire Emblem games are Strategy RPGs, and of course Zelda is actually adventure... but a very fun game!

I personally just finished Fire Emblem II: The Sacred Stones and I loved it! I had not played the previous game. If strategy battle isn't your thing it might turn you off, but it is a challenging game that has a lot going for it. *Great* Story (imo), Great characters, Great graphics, Great Battle System, etc. One thing that is a love or hate thing is permanent death. You lose a character in battle and they are gone forever. But there are a LOT of characters in the game plus a good amount of "winnable" characters (if you talk to them with the right character on the battle field, they will join you). So losing characters, while frusterating when it was because of a simple miscalculation, isn't so horrible since there are so many.

You can also develop character relationships and bonds by having compatible characters stay adjacent in the battle field for ~3 turns and then having them talk to each other. I found out how to work this way to late in the game so didn't really get to take advantage of it.

Keep in mind that this isn't a typical RPG like FF, etc. It is focused on story and combat. So while you will have "cut scenes" of dialog you generally will not find yourself wondering around through towns or through the world. There is a map that you can go from point to point on and occassionaly (maybe once) there is a town you can walk around in. But in general the gameplay is all about the strategic battles.

Now that I finished that (and it is a pretty long game) I am playing Zelda: The Minish Cap and am really enjoying it.

crachoar
May 19, 2006, 09:53 PM
Pokemon games are about as dull as they come. Please don't do something foolish like that...

You want the 'best RPG ever'? Well, that's called 'Chrono Trigger', and it isn't out on the GBA (sadly).

Second best? Well, that's called 'Final Fantasy VII', and...

Well, you get the idea.

Honestly, 'Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones' is one of the best RPGs I've ever played. The story is incredible, the battles take a long time, there's plenty of strategy to it, etc. It's made by the guys that did 'Advance Wars', and it uses the same engine. The combat is similar, but at the same time, completely different.

It plays like a turn-based strategy RPG game. You go into battle with your units, you cannot reproduce more. You can, however, in some battles - recruit soldiers from neutral or enemy forces - depending on who talks with them.

The really cool part? When characters die, they die. They're not in the story anymore, they're gone for good. No Phoenix downs.

My favorite Nintendo RPG, hands down. Excellent combat / animation / music / story. Trust me when I tell you, it's worth every penny.

I bought 'FFIV', and while it's a good game - it doesn't even compare to 'The Sacred Stones' in terms of anything. I stopped playing once I got stuck, and had no desire to go back. 'Fire Emblem', however, is addicting.

Pick it up.

Or, despite the general 'gayness' of the 'judge system' - 'Final Fantasy Tactics: Advance' was an excellent title as well.

edit: instaposted!

GFLPraxis
May 19, 2006, 10:16 PM
Zelda: Minish Cap might not be counted as an RPG, but it's similar, long, and fun.

mrgreen4242
May 19, 2006, 11:51 PM
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
Zelda: Minish Cap
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga

I played through Superstar Saga about two years ago, and it was easily, far away, the best RPG I've ever played, and probably the best game I played that year. I'm playing through the sequel on the DS right now, and it's not as good, but still fun times.

The characters and dialog are hillarious, and it's really rather charming, even though it's aimed at kids.

sam10685
May 20, 2006, 12:57 AM
I am soon taking my four-day drive to Oregon. (only less than 4 weeks)

And I should probabyl start shopping for a GBA game to play on the way there.

Any good games? I've played all of these already:

both Golden Suns
both Advance Wars
both breath of fires

I was thinking about maybe getting Tales of Phantasia or Final Fantasy IV.

4 day road trip to here. u must be on the east coast. (i'm in portland oregon.) anyway, get the donkey kong games that were originally for the SNES.

Counterfit
May 20, 2006, 01:35 AM
You want the 'best RPG ever'? Well, that's called 'Chrono Trigger',
**** yeah!
And I think that there are things you can buy to emulate an SNES on a DS, but I'm not sure.

Dagless
May 20, 2006, 06:42 AM
They're making a Children of Chrono for the DS.

Agree on the Fire Emblem front. strategy RPG quite literally at it's best.

I will say though that Pokemon is very addictive. Think it might help if you have a few mates with it too, as you're not only trying to beat the game but building a team to fight your mates too. Finding the rare Pokemon is always brilliant, but when you find an accidental rare-coloured Pokemon... hah I rang up and laughed at everyone.
It is a love hate thing with Pokemon. But the world is epic, the game is addictive and collecting really is fun. the music is beautiful. could just be me though, might want to have a look at Metacritic really.

MacRumorUser
May 20, 2006, 06:45 AM
Chrono Trigger was class.

I still call all my RPG main characters Chrono (or Link)...

Haoshiro
May 20, 2006, 07:54 AM
I'd say Chrono Trigger, then Final Fantasy 6, personally! :)

Square really should release that on GBA, it would sell out I have no doubt.

bobber205
May 20, 2006, 08:50 AM
In my rush to post, I forgot to post that I've played and throughouly enjoyed both Fire Emblems and Superstar Saga. :eek:

Sorry for all the wasted typing. I was surprised to see so many Pokémon recommendations. WOW.

I think I might the Tales game. Got to read some reviews first, of course. ;)

Dagless
May 20, 2006, 09:10 AM
"Tales of" games are usually quite good. At least the Gamecube one which was rated alongside Final Fantasy 7 by a lot of people. magically.

bobber205
May 20, 2006, 09:23 AM
"Tales of" games are usually quite good. At least the Gamecube one which was rated alongside Final Fantasy 7 by a lot of people. magically.

No kidding. I'm planning on buying the Tales of GBA game based upon solely the quality of the Gamecube one!

Longest RPG I've ever played. 80 plus hours.

Dagless
May 20, 2006, 12:03 PM
... They made GBA Tales of Games? I thought they were on just the PS2, Cube and PSP/DS! Didn't know the GBA got a couple. might have to look into that!

crachoar
May 20, 2006, 12:53 PM
The 'Tales of Phantasia' game is just ports of the older SNES game. It's been getting kind of 'meh' reviews. Nothing great, nothing terrible.

I'd say, pick up 'Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow' or the 'Double Pack' edition that comes with two games (and bad box art). This new edition can be found for $20-35. An original pressing of 'Aria' can cost $100 on eBay, so, why not? You get a bonus game with it too.

The story is a bit cheese here and there, and some of the bosses were easy - but the gameplay is absolutely amazing, and you will be occupied for hours upon hours. One of my all-time favorite Castlevania games.

And like I mentioned before, 'FF Tactics: Advance' was a great game, minus the 'judge' system. It might be a little hard to find now, but if you can find it, pick it up. Even if it's $50. It, of course, is a turn-based strategy-RPG.

Dagless
May 20, 2006, 01:40 PM
Thank you! I totally forgot about the Castlevania Double Pack, I wanted it a while ago but just plain forgot. Ordering now for Ł17.99 :D damn cheap that be too. Or maybe GBA games are finally starting to lower.

Moshiiii
May 20, 2006, 05:18 PM
I'm an advid GBA player. I'd suggest: (Not in Any Special Order)

Final Fantasy Tactics
Zelda : The Minish Cap
Tales of Phantasia
Bokatai
Classic NES port Zelda I

(Dont let your girl/friend get ahold of your GBA if you decide to get Minish Cap, I didnt see my GBA for months when my GF wanted to play Minish Cap.)

Another note, If you are going to decide with Minish Cap.. It's a difficult game, not really difficult but they tend to drop you without any clue on what to do next. If you were on vacation and didnt have acess to a guide (you might need one) that wouldn't be any fun.

bobber205
May 20, 2006, 06:16 PM
I've got Minish Cap and FF Tactics Advance. That game! Wow! It was great.

I'll pick up the Castlevania double pack.

Good ol' ebGames.

2nyRiggz
May 20, 2006, 06:26 PM
Chrono Trigger was class.

I still call all my RPG main characters Chrono (or Link)...

Indeed...only RPG i liked along with the mario RPG.

Bless

Counterfit
May 20, 2006, 06:27 PM
They're making a Children of Chrono for the DS.
Link? :eek:

The first person to say "No, Chrono!" gets STABBED IN THE FACE!

michaelltd
May 20, 2006, 06:47 PM

Ohhhh yeah! Tales of Symphonia was great! Hard to go back to turn-based battling after the Tales series' real-time battle system. Symphonia was the first RPG I've played where I wanted to get in many battles.

Moshiiii
May 20, 2006, 07:34 PM
I've got Minish Cap and FF Tactics Advance. That game! Wow! It was great.

I'll pick up the Castlevania double pack.

Good ol' ebGames.

Great choice, Castlevania is my favorite series. I concur FF Tactics Advance was great! :D

Dagless
May 21, 2006, 05:50 AM
Link? :eek:

The first person to say "No, Chrono!" gets STABBED IN THE FACE!

Mad chimps. I can't find that now. Googled Chrono DS, Chrono GBA. It does exist, I remember a lot of people getting happy at the time it was announced. ho hum :o

crachoar
May 21, 2006, 12:01 PM
Mad chimps. I can't find that now. Googled Chrono DS, Chrono GBA. It does exist, I remember a lot of people getting happy at the time it was announced. ho hum :o

Liar. Filthy, stinking liar...

I'm pretty sure if they announced this, the entire world would've noticed.

Perhaps it was announced in your dreams?

Dagless
May 21, 2006, 12:32 PM
WHAT the hell was I thinking!

It's Children of Mana. not Children of Chrono.

there we go. Why on earth did I think Chrono? I've never even played Chrono Trigger! Or any Mana games.

crachoar
May 21, 2006, 01:29 PM
At this point, it is perfectly acceptable for you to redeem yourself by way of seppuku.

Dagless
May 21, 2006, 02:31 PM
Gee, I'm sorry. Next time I won't say I got it wrong and correct the original statement.

crachoar
May 21, 2006, 10:59 PM
Next time, you'll chiggidy-check yo'self before you wreck yo'self (fool).

Mention of new 'Chrono' games is no laughing matter.