PDA

View Full Version : Purchase a Gamecube... thoughts?

DeSnousa
May 19, 2006, 11:10 PM
With Gamecube prices low as, and even lower on ebay, do you think it would make a wise investment or should I hold out for the Wii?. It has got me thinking that it would be a great console to get because I would have a small catalogue of games to play with on the Wii (the Wii is backward compatible right?). I also have never owned a Nintendo console (have plenty of Gameboys) and the DS has made me fall in love with gaming again, so naturally I would love some first party Nintendo games to play over the semester break, all of which can be found cheap on ebay also :D

If I did what would be some must have games? I looking at Zelda: Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine and Mario Kart. However with that said I already have a PS2 which I could survive with, plus plenty of uncompleted games not to mention :o Then again the Gamecube can be had for the same price of a new release PS2 game. Decisions, decisions. Help me decide :)

Dr. Dastardly
May 19, 2006, 11:26 PM
I was thinking the same thing as you. With them being only $100 right now brand new its hard not to grab one and start a small collection now for the Wii later. The only reason I won't do it is if I did get one the mrs's probably wouldn't be to keen on picking up another console just six months down the line.

"Whats wrong with the one you got?" I'll hear.

If you don't have the same issue and you have the money I'd say go for it. The Wii probably won't be here till October at the earliest.:(

themanfromvlad
May 19, 2006, 11:27 PM
I purchased a gamecube relatively late (less than a year ago) and I have never regretted it. New or used it is really cheap and the games a plain fun. Once Wii comes out, the games will still work! Enjoy it now!

risc
May 19, 2006, 11:28 PM
The GameCube is a great console I bought mine late in its life cycle (I gave it away when I got my 360) and if you like the games on it I say sure go for it. It has great graphics, no load times, and some of the games are down right fantastic!

As for must have games there are heaps but my favourite all time GameCube game is Ikaruga. You'll probably find it on Ebay.

ravenvii
May 20, 2006, 12:53 AM
Do get Metroid Prime. It's down to $20 now. It really shows you what the GameCube is capable of graphically. Wind Waker and Super Smash Bros. Melees are definites. Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes is another good game that you can pick up for $20. The GameCube is an awesome system, you'll have fun with it.

However, if I were you I'd just hold off and get the Wii. It's not that far off, the Wii isn't that much more expensive, and it can play GameCube games.

SamIchi
May 20, 2006, 12:57 AM
It's defintely worth the purchase if you enjoy Nintendo games. You gotta get Super Smash Brothers Melee, me and my cousins played that so much.

GFLPraxis
May 20, 2006, 01:28 AM
With Gamecube prices low as, and even lower on ebay, do you think it would make a wise investment or should I hold out for the Wii?. It has got me thinking that it would be a great console to get because I would have a small catalogue of games to play with on the Wii (the Wii is backward compatible right?). I also have never owned a Nintendo console (have plenty of Gameboys) and the DS has made me fall in love with gaming again, so naturally I would love some first party Nintendo games to play over the semester break, all of which can be found cheap on ebay also :D

If I did what would be some must have games? I looking at Zelda: Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine and Mario Kart. However with that said I already have a PS2 which I could survive with, plus plenty of uncompleted games not to mention :o Then again the Gamecube can be had for the same price of a new release PS2 game. Decisions, decisions. Help me decide :)

Metroid Prime is a MUST HAVE, as is Super Smash Bros. Especially Smash Bros. Best multiplayer game ever.
Paper Mario is also a good RPG. And definitely get Zelda and Mario Sunshine (if you can look past the childish 'sunshine' theme, it's a very good game).

Anyway, I would say to save for a Wii. However, there is one good part- on the side of the Wii are ports for GameCube controllers and memory cards, and the Wii is fully backwards compatable with GameCube games. So when the Wii comes out, you can plug all your GameCube accessories into the Wii whenever you get it and play all the games, and just swap out the main console. So no big loss if you get a GameCube now.

G5Unit
May 20, 2006, 01:38 AM
I have a gamecube I'm willing to sell if you want, lots of games. PM me if you want!:)

sam10685
May 20, 2006, 02:10 AM
However, if I were you I'd just hold off and get the Wii. It's not that far off, the Wii isn't that much more expensive, and it can play GameCube games.

it seems like u know the launch price and date to this bad boy. please do tell us...

DeSnousa
May 20, 2006, 02:14 AM
Thanks all for your thoughts, alot have said to wait for the Wii and I think that is a major point as its not that far off and save some bucks :) However now I am having thoughts about buying a Gameboy Micro, again I was looking at it, and its cheap and I already own GBA games. I like the idea of carrying it every where I go, its so small and the screen is amazing :D

Ahh, I think I better of just saving my money as I already have a DS to play GBA games :) You can tell Nintendo have really done well, as there is a system for every one, only I want them all :p

Edit: I also plain on buying a DS lite ;)

GFLPraxis
May 20, 2006, 02:24 AM
it seems like u know the launch price and date to this bad boy. please do tell us...

Nintendo has confirmed it is less than the 360 core (so $250 or less), and several magazines have quoted a $250 price point with $200 under consideration. GameCube launched at $200. And Nintendo said it will be in the fourth quarter of this year.

Dagless
May 20, 2006, 06:47 AM
In the UK it might be wise to wait. Our cubes cannot output anything greater than 480i and no S-Video either.
The Wii outputs as Component natively, which can be adapted to VGA (unless Nintendo release an accessory for that, a la Xbox 360). Which means a MUCH better image on those Cube games.

But for my absolute must have games-

Metroid Prime series. Nothing more needs to be said. This is THE defining game on the Gamecube, and last time I checked the 2nd highest rated game on Metacritic, just behind Ocarina of Time. It is THAT good.
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes. Very fun, possibly the best storyline since ever.
Smash Bros Melee. No game held my attention as long as this.
F-Zero GX. I'd call it the best racing game ever. Downright fun.
Windwaker. Enjoyed this just as much as Ocarina of Time on the 2nd play through. I didn't notice the beauty the 1st time around.
Sunshine. Say what you like about it; it was very enjoyable for me.

I could take of leave the rest. Fun games. but those got me through the past 5 years.

MacRumorUser
May 20, 2006, 06:51 AM
Dont forget Pikmin 1 & 2. I love those games... Oh & Animal Crossing too.

sam10685
May 20, 2006, 08:03 AM
Nintendo has confirmed it is less than the 360 core (so $250 or less), and several magazines have quoted a $250 price point with $200 under consideration. GameCube launched at $200. And Nintendo said it will be in the fourth quarter of this year.

ahh... i think it could possibly be less than $200 because in this (http://media.revolution.ign.com/articles/708/708093/vids_1.html) interview with perrin kaplan, she says "it will be a price we will all really like and it will cause us to want to line up to want to buy it." (although i think all console launches do that to people.)

howard
May 20, 2006, 08:09 AM
do you have a console now? if not go for the gamecube. if $100 is not that expensive for you, then $200 for a brand new console later this year shouldn't be to much trouble (if that is indeed what it will start at).

if it does start at $200 nintendo is gonna kill it!

Dagless
May 20, 2006, 09:09 AM
do you have a console now? if not go for the gamecube. if $100 is not that expensive for you, then $200 for a brand new console later this year shouldn't be to much trouble (if that is indeed what it will start at).

if it does start at $200 nintendo is gonna kill it!

Everyone is saying $200. So my guess is $200.
For $2000 you could just buy a Wii dev kit and play tech demo's all day long until it's released. Probably plays cube games too.

DavidLeblond
May 20, 2006, 09:18 AM
Don't forget Super Paper Mario is coming out for the cube too...

DEXTERITY
May 20, 2006, 10:09 AM
RE 4 (a must have) is $20 as well.

GFLPraxis
May 20, 2006, 10:18 AM
ahh... i think it could possibly be less than $200 because in this (http://media.revolution.ign.com/articles/708/708093/vids_1.html) interview with perrin kaplan, she says "it will be a price we will all really like and it will cause us to want to line up to want to buy it." (although i think all console launches do that to people.)

It's possible, as Nintendo has really not confirmed any kind of pricing. $200-$250 is the most likely, but hey, it could be $150, who knows? I think $200-$250 is the most realistic though. $150 sounds too low, especially from dev interviews I've read.

2nyRiggz
May 20, 2006, 10:27 AM
Go for it man...GC is great. make sure pick up

RE4
Metriod prime 1 & 2
Zelda: the wind waker
veiwtiful joe
pikmin 1 & 2

Great games

Bless

mac000
May 20, 2006, 11:44 AM
The Gamecube is worth buying JUST for Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe is very good as well, Mario Kart not bad, Zelda Windwaker, Paper Mario is interesting as well.

But seriously if you were to just get ONE game, get Resident Evil 4, i was just playing it and I don't think I was ever on the edge of my seat as I was playing that game - i think i broke a sweat too. damn,

sam10685
May 20, 2006, 12:52 PM
It's possible, as Nintendo has really not confirmed any kind of pricing. $200-$250 is the most likely, but hey, it could be $150, who knows? I think $200-$250 is the most realistic though. $150 sounds too low, especially from dev interviews I've read.

if it's 150, i'll get like-- 8 of them. (actually probably not, but i'll deffinitly get more than one.)

Spanky Deluxe
May 20, 2006, 05:05 PM
Get a gamecube now and have your fun. Come Wii release time sell the cube system and keep the games for potential use on the Wii.

I've got two gamecubes bought with the intention of 8 player mariokart, have two broadband adapters and all!! I never quite got round to setting it up though!!! :-S

harveypooka
May 21, 2006, 08:08 AM
My mate bought one recently with Mario Kart. I lost and got in a huff, so I say don't buy one...

crachoar
May 21, 2006, 12:02 PM
Another vote for 'no'. I'd explain why, but I don't feel like fighting off fanboys today.

Just save up for the next system and the new games.

MacRumorUser
May 21, 2006, 12:08 PM

Yeah same interview its pretty obvious that only the wiimote and gyrondongle thing will be packaged with the machine. Those needing all the other stuff will have to buy them seperatly. I think that's the best thing to do, keep the retail cost of the initial pack down to the lowest they can...

Also same interview, was there some tense sexual tension going on there? Had she been slurpy slurpy with the guy off camera or somthing.. There was a hate/lust thing going on.....

atari1356
May 29, 2006, 12:58 AM
I've been pondering the same thing, and decided I couldn't wait for the Wii... so I bid on (and won) a used GameCube off of eBay with these games:

Metroid Prime
Zelda: The Ocarina of Time/Master Quest
Zelda: The Windwaker
Super Mario Sunshine
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes

I think that should keep me busy until Wii-day. :D

Flowbee
May 29, 2006, 01:49 AM
Really, you can't go wrong with a cheap Gamecube. There are plenty of great games, all at "classic" prices by now, to keep you busy untill the Wii arrives. Zelda, Metroid, Resident Evil, and a Mario or two is just about all you should need. And if you get tired of it, just put the whole thing up on Ebay... seems like there's always a market for nintendo stuff (just like Apple stuff).

Dagless
May 29, 2006, 06:13 AM
atari1356 you just got what I consider a huge chunk of the "best of" last gen games. Congrats. You're gonna love it.

student_trap
May 30, 2006, 09:55 AM
yeah i randomly bought a cube too, it was from GAME and came bundled with:

Mario Smash football - (an awesome multiplayer game!!! seriously amazing fun)
Ice Age 2 - (i was going to sell it but its actually really quite entertaining!)
Sonic Riders - (played it, though it wasn't that good, so sold it for £20 quid

So i got a brand new cube with 2 top games for £60 (with the sale of the sonic game included).

I have so far picked up 3 more controllers and a memory card, along with:

Mario Kart ... superb
soul calibur 2 ... its OK, but the controls seem awkward compared to SC on my Dreamcast
SSBB ... this is on order from amazon, i cant wait for it to arrive!

Haoshiro
May 30, 2006, 10:00 AM
soul calibur 2 ... its OK, but the controls seem awkward compared to SC on my Dreamcast!

I thought this at first as well, give it some time! :) After I got used to the different button layout I actually like it a lot more... tried playing SC2 on Xbox with the big controller (much closer to the DC pad) and really hated it after getting used to the Cube version. Easier to pull of a lot of the moves, imo.

I'll have to try that football game... what is it like? I know it certainly won't be a madden, so what does it play like? Something non-football fans would like?

student_trap
May 30, 2006, 10:24 AM
I'll have to try that football game... what is it like? I know it certainly won't be a madden, so what does it play like? Something non-football fans would like?

Well its English football, so i suppose soccer if you're in the US.

Basically its Mario et al engaging in 5-A-Side football with an electric fence round the pitch, head butting, power-ups, and no free kicks/throw ins/fouls/corners/referee!

The pace is fast, the controlls are pretty simple to get the hang of (so non-gamers can compete), it isn't really much to do with football but it really is so much fun.

I'd recommend the game to everyone, especially for how good the multiplayer is! Definitely check it out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Smash_Football

As for the Soul Calibur 2 info, cheers, I'll stick with it!

Macer
May 30, 2006, 10:58 AM
Buy a game cube to tie you over until the wii and get it chipped.

Jsmit
May 30, 2006, 11:28 AM
FWI: Mario Smash Football is called Super Mario Strikers here in the US, I suspect Canada too.

I just got myself I cube too, no regrets. PS2 now sits idle.

Moshiiii
May 30, 2006, 12:59 PM
Get Odama ! :D That game looks amazing, I don't care what some reviewers say.

Dagless
May 30, 2006, 01:42 PM
Buy a game cube to tie you over until the wii and get it chipped.

Or not because modding games consoles to play pirated games is for tossers.

Unless you don't mean to copy games. Which is fine.

Dagless
May 30, 2006, 01:47 PM
Get Odama ! :D That game looks amazing, I don't care what some reviewers say.
I could have bought that for 20 the other day, was special of the day, apparently. Should have picked it up. always up for those mad games.

What I like is that everyone went mad for Karamari saying it was the only original game ever, those people so should have got a Cube. Chibi Robo? Odama? Animal Crossing? Viewtiful Joe? Cubed? All experiments in gameplay.

jdechko
May 30, 2006, 04:54 PM
Well its English football, so i suppose soccer if you're in the US.

Basically its Mario et al engaging in 5-A-Side football with an electric fence round the pitch, head butting, power-ups, and no free kicks/throw ins/fouls/corners/referee!

The pace is fast, the controlls are pretty simple to get the hang of (so non-gamers can compete), it isn't really much to do with football but it really is so much fun.

I'd recommend the game to everyone, especially for how good the multiplayer is! Definitely check it out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Smash_Football

It's definitely one of my favorite games for the Gamecube. It really is a lot of fun on multiplayer, though there's not a lot of replay value for single player. My favorite is luigi with the koopa sidekicks. Even my wife (definitely a non-gamer, but a football fan) has picked it up and played it (without me :eek: ).

XNine
May 30, 2006, 05:48 PM
I'd wait for the Wii. The gamecube was not impressive as far as a gameplay aspect. Some of the games were pretty, but none of them played like you'd want them to.

MGS: Twin Snakes is junk compared to the orginal PSX version. Metroid had clunky, non-FPS type controls (though asthetically it was beautiful). Resident Evil? Bah. Too many of those games.

Wait for the Wii. You'll end up spending less money, it'll play GC games if you really want them, and it'll be sure to drum up some new games that may play like they should. I think Nintendo has probably learned its lesson from the GC and how many people didn't like a lot about it.

wingsky
May 30, 2006, 05:54 PM
I'm a bit confused as to how the Wii will handle gamecube games...

Will the Wii take full size DVD's? if that's the case there might be a problem because as with the slot loading mac's you can't use mini-dvds on them - they get stuck!

If in fact the Wii uses mini-dvd size media then just ignore me :)

Dagless
May 30, 2006, 05:59 PM
I'm a bit confused as to how the Wii will handle gamecube games...

Will the Wii take full size DVD's? if that's the case there might be a problem because as with the slot loading mac's you can't use mini-dvds on them - they get stuck!

If in fact the Wii uses mini-dvd size media then just ignore me :)

The Wii uses both mini and full sized DVD's, the drive somehow uses both. 1 up to Nintendo for working that out.

sb58
May 30, 2006, 07:57 PM
The Wii uses both mini and full sized DVD's, the drive somehow uses both. 1 up to Nintendo for working that out.
PC's can do that... i doubt it's the same but meh.

GFLPraxis
May 30, 2006, 08:08 PM
Metroid had clunky, non-FPS type controls (though asthetically it was beautiful).

Metroid wasn't designed as an FPS; it's an adventure game.

Dagless
May 31, 2006, 04:46 AM
Metroid wasn't designed as an FPS; it's an adventure game.
It's laughable all those who claim Metroid is an FPS. I've never heard it once named an FPS by Nintendo or Retro Studios.
I suppose Shadow of the Colossus is nothing more than an above view racer, or Final Fantasy 7 is just a giant story-filled GUI. Zelda is an FPS too because he has a bow and arrow.

PC's can do that... i doubt it's the same but meh.
PC's can do that with tray drives, but not slot loading drives. I haven't seen a slot loading drive that takes big and mini discs. so you're right in that it's not the same :)
wish my PowerBook would take mini-DVD's. I bought a stockpile of them whilst I had my PC. Never been a fan of full sized DVD's for no real reason.