PDA

View Full Version : Someone help me Build a Screen Saver??

GimmeSlack12
May 20, 2006, 10:57 AM
I have a good idea for a screen saver, pretty basic, but I really don't know the process for building one. I do have the Developer package installed on my machine.

Any tutorials that can help me with this? Or anyone willing to lend a hand to kinda show me how? I can PM you or you can PM me. I have some basic programming (C++) skills. Hope I am not being too vague.
Thanks

robbieduncan
May 20, 2006, 11:01 AM
There is a good 2 part tutorial at cocoadevcentral (http://www.cocoadevcentral.com/).

Note that this assumes you will be using Objective-C & Cocoa.

Simon Liquid
May 20, 2006, 12:37 PM
If your screen saver idea is simple, it's very possible you could put it together in Quartz Composer. This is part of the free Developer Tools and lets you do quite a bit. The interface is pretty easy to learn. All the objects are like blocks and you can hook them together with your mouse. For example, you can select a cube object from the premade options. Then you can import a picture and hook it into the attribute of the cube that tells it what to display on the sides. Then you can create a number generator that, over 10 seconds, goes from 0 to 360 looping back to zero. Hook the generator to the cube's rotation attribute and it will spin once every 10 seconds. You can save this as a screen saver, among other things.

There are a fair number of tutorials for Quartz Composer online. The only site I still have bookmarked is http://www.quartzcompositions.com/phpBB2/. Please note-Quartz Composer only works with Tiger. If you only have 10.3 you're out of luck.

savar
May 21, 2006, 07:03 AM
I have a good idea for a screen saver, pretty basic, but I really don't know the process for building one. I do have the Developer package installed on my machine.

Any tutorials that can help me with this? Or anyone willing to lend a hand to kinda show me how? I can PM you or you can PM me. I have some basic programming (C++) skills. Hope I am not being too vague.
Thanks

It's pretty easy with Cocoa/Obj-C

For the sake of community interest, why don't you just post the idea here? (OR is it commercial?)