Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
BALTIMORE -- Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro broke down at the start and Bernardini went on to win the $1 million Preakness Stakes on Saturday.

The horrifying scene occurred in the first few hundred yards after the field of nine horses broke from the starting gate.

Barbaro was in the middle of the pack when he suddenly dropped back under Edgar Prado. The colt was favoring his right rear leg.

Trainer Michael Matz bolted from his seat and ran onto the track where embraced Prado. The jockey went over to owner Gretchen Jackson and said, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry."

She put an arm on his shoulder and said, "You did a great job."

Fans were crying in the grandstand as the horse was loaded into an ambulance and taken away, his injured leg in an inflatable cast.

"You never expect it," Jackson said as she walked back to the barn.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
My mom started crying hysterically when she saw this... I think she was concerned that they'd fulfill the old cliché and take him out back and shoot him.

It's more likely he'll be put out to stud and enjoy the rest of his life being a horse of leisure.

Once again, the Triple Crown remains unwon...

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
wait...Carolina Hurricanes, Don't you mean Hartford Whalers.:rolleyes:

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
clayj said:
My mom started crying hysterically when she saw this... I think she was concerned that they'd fulfill the old cliché and take him out back and shoot him.

It's more likely he'll be put out to stud and enjoy the rest of his life being a horse of leisure.

apparently his injury is quite possibly life threatening...

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
I was pretty upset when I saw it happen. Such independence -- such living power -- so suddenly reduced to another's care.

The vets at Penn are among the best in the world (and their students are, too).

We hope for the best.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
MacNut said:
Barbaro was in the middle of the pack when he suddenly dropped back under Edgar Prado. The colt was favoring his right rear leg.

As pathetic as it was to watch Barbaro pull up lame, it would have been so much worse if he had fallen down on the track. The chain reaction effect could have taken down other horses and also seriously injured or killed a jockey. Prado did a commendable job in helping to bring about the ending that occurred. Best wishes to Barbaro.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
The operating vet said today that they very rarely see this type of injury...almost all horses that suffer this injury are put down right there at the track. They're doing their best to save him though...

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
Thats what happens when you drop ~$20 million on an animal. :rolleyes:

I dont think I'll ever get the point of horse racing

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
Deepdale said:
Prado did a commendable job in helping to bring about the ending that occurred.

yeah, it's really a great thing Prado was riding. from a few conversations with vets i heard on TV/the radio, it seems as if the jockey hadn't recognized it sooner, and let him ride on, Barbaro quite possibly would have sustained an injury of such a great magnitude he would have had to be put down on the track.

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
bursty said:
Thats what happens when you drop ~$20 million on an animal. :rolleyes:

I dont think I'll ever get the point of horse racing

they actually don't sell for nearly that much until after they retire and become studs, which Barbaro quite possibly (probably) will become if he survives his surgery.

the most expensive horse for racing ever was sold this march for $16 million, breaking the previous record of $13.1 million, and most horses don't even approach $10 million regardless of how well regarded they are.

in contrast, Fusaichi Pegasus, the most expensive stud ever, was sold for $60 million. just for background, he won the Kentucky Derby, lost the Preakness, and did not enter the Belmont. he was bought for $4 million for racing.

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
zach said:
they actually don't sell for nearly that much until after they retire and become studs, which Barbaro quite possibly (probably) will become if he survives his surgery.

the most expensive horse for racing ever was sold this march for $16 million, breaking the previous record of $13.1 million, and most horses don't even approach $10 million regardless of how well regarded they are.

in contrast, Fusaichi Pegasus, the most expensive stud ever, was sold for $60 million. just for background, he won the Kentucky Derby, lost the Preakness, and did not enter the Belmont. he was bought for $4 million for racing.
$4 million? What a bargin! :rolleyes:

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
KENNETT SQUARE, Pa. -- Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro came out of a day-long surgery Sunday to repair three broken bones in his right rear leg and "practically jogged back to the stall," the colt's surgeon said.

At this moment "he is extremely comfortable in the leg," said Dr. Dean Richardson, who stressed before the marathon procedure that he's never worked on so many catastrophic injuries to one horse.

Richardson gave the horse a "50-50" chance of survival due to the high risk of post-op infection. Barbaro will be given antibiotics as a method to stave off infection. But even if Barbaro does manage to avoid infection, the road to recovery will last months, Richardson said.

Barbaro sustained "life-threatening injuries" Saturday when he broke bones above and below his right rear ankle at the start of the Preakness Stakes. His surgery began around 1 p.m. Sunday at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center for Large Animals.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
I'm not a horse racing fan, yet when I opened up the paper this morning and saw the picture of Barbaro holding his lame leg up, it was just so sad. Such a beautiful, talented animal. :(

Here's hoping there's no infection, so he can at least be put out to stud.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
clayj said:
It's more likely he'll be put out to stud
Probably not, since to stud puts a lot of strain on the hind legs.

Hope he can, but it's doubtful.

Sad accident. The jockey did well to prevent an even worse situation.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I watched the video yesterday and basically fell into pieces, especially when the horse kept stretching out his leg trying to make it more compfortable.

"Watching a horse break down is like watching someone destroy a masterpiece."

So true.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
sushi said:
Probably not, since to stud puts a lot of strain on the hind legs.

Hope he can, but it's doubtful.

Sad accident. The jockey did well to prevent an even worse situation.
Well... they can still use artificial insemination. So his genetic legacy will live on, even if he doesn't get to do the deed himself.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
clayj said:
Well... they can still use artificial insemination. So his genetic legacy will live on, even if he doesn't get to do the deed himself.
Not sure about all the techniques used, but generally, the stud has to do a similar type of task to give up the sperm. So he may not be able to do this either.

P.S. BTW, I hope that I am wrong and you are right on this.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
Artificial Insemination cannot be used for racing thouroughbreds , its in their rule book. too much temptation to do a little genetic selection/ tinkering switching...

and you can get semen from a horse/bull/etc even if they cant stand up on their hind legs...just google it if you really want to know how...

As for Barbaro I hope he survives and can live out his days as a happy stud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.