PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Wii & E3 & final graphics

mac000
May 20, 2006, 09:12 PM
http://boards.ign.com/nintendo_wii_lobby/b8270/117993981/p1/?6

i just dont understand when the Wii will go on sale will the graphics be better then what was at E3? I mean most of the games shown at E3 were just gamecube graphics...

.. i thought the GPU was still being made so obviously the graphics will be better once those games will run on a final "Wii"

btw, i read that at E3 there actually was "14 officical Wii's running to VIP members" have we heard anything related to those Wii's?

.Andy
May 20, 2006, 09:35 PM
http://boards.ign.com/nintendo_wii_lobby/b8270/117993981/p1/?6

i just dont understand when the Wii will go on sale will the graphics be better then what was at E3? I mean most of the games shown at E3 were just gamecube graphics...

.. i thought the GPU was still being made so obviously the graphics will be better once those games will run on a final "Wii"

btw, i read that at E3 there actually was "14 officical Wii's running to VIP members" have we heard anything related to those Wii's?

If graphics is the most important thing to you don't get a Wii. Get yourself an XBox360 or sell a kidney and get a PS3. As for the graphics most reviews I've seen say that they're better than the GCN but not on par with the Xbox360 nor PS3. That's fine for me for the price point they are aiming at and the quality of the Nintendo games although I can understand others will want more...

Then again I've just finished Doukutsu (http://www.gameflaws.com/cavestory/) and thought the graphics and style of that game kicked butt :p!

plinkoman
May 20, 2006, 09:57 PM
and just what was wrong with the other thread you started on the same subject?

mac000
May 20, 2006, 11:06 PM
i'm just trying to make sense of graphics at E3 vs. graphics of final hardware, basically Nintendo did NOT use their GPU at E3 for the Wii, correct?

that should say a lot, no?

mac000
May 20, 2006, 11:11 PM
has anyone seen Nintendo Wii ads circulating across the internet with the pictures of the remote? that seems kind of funny for being "released in November" i think the Wii is going to be released in July.

plus they have a lot of information on their website. one can only have wishful thinking the day Nintendo drops some BOMB on us with the rest of their plans, WHEN< WHEN< WHEN will they???

Foxglove9
May 20, 2006, 11:45 PM
My thoughts. You won't see the system until Xmas buying season..so I'd say around Late September at earliest and expect it to be in short supply into 2007 regardless of what Nintendo says. They've never lived up to their word with shipment schedules. Probably won't see more than 6 or 8 games at launch either.

There will be tremendous PR hype around the machine in the coming months with TV ads and will probably see a Japan/US same day launch. They are targeting a different audience than the Xbox360 don't forget.

I think they are waiting for Xbox to see what promotions and last minute add-ons to their machine for the holiday season so they can counter with something of their own in time for the shopping season.

Plus they don't want to steal any thunder away from the DS Lite release all summer which should be scorching for them in the US as it has been in Japan.

Bubbasteve
May 21, 2006, 12:58 AM
i think the Wii is going to be released in July.

Well.......here's hopin'

sam10685
May 21, 2006, 01:18 AM
has anyone seen Nintendo Wii ads circulating across the internet with the pictures of the remote? that seems kind of funny for being "released in November" i think the Wii is going to be released in July.

plus they have a lot of information on their website. one can only have wishful thinking the day Nintendo drops some BOMB on us with the rest of their plans, WHEN< WHEN< WHEN will they???

yeah... wtf... i was at digg the other day-or yahoo, or something like that- and i saw a banner ad for the Wii. that kinda shocked me. MAN i'd love it if it came in July...

sam10685
May 21, 2006, 01:22 AM
Probably won't see more than 6 or 8 games at launch either.

2 things; waay more than 6 or 8 games have been confirmed launch titles and Red Steel or Excite Truck better be one of them.

Trowaman
May 21, 2006, 02:12 AM
2 things; waay more than 6 or 8 games have been confirmed launch titles and Red Steel or Excite Truck better be one of them.

From what I hear Red Steel is a go at launch. Heard nothing on Excite Truck though.

.Andy
May 21, 2006, 03:16 AM
Apparently there is 16 so far according to PALGN (http://palgn.com.au/article.php?title=Nintendo+confirms+Wii+launch+titles&id=4635&sid=581338a625b947f0df528c7152bdc778) I can't find the initial Nintendo announcement though.....

MacRumorUser
May 21, 2006, 03:51 AM
Not the remotest chance of a release in JULY :rolleyes:

Nintendo WILL have a staggered release with this, so whilst America & Japan will see it before the end of the year, Europe will probably have to wait till Spring 07..

At the Games Developers Conference 06, Just before E3 - Nintendo pretty much confirmed this.

Less pleasing for the UK market however, is the news that there will not be a simultaneous worldwide launch. Unfortuently, it would seem nintendo's stance on Europe is not likely to change any time soon, and we could be waiting for the new console while our Eastern cousins are happily waving their hands in front of their TV's.

"We don't think it's neccessary to do a simultaneous worldwide launch simply because others are doing this", head of Nintendo marketing.

.Andy
May 21, 2006, 04:25 AM

Nintendo WILL have a staggered release with this, so whilst America & Japan will see it before the end of the year, Europe will probably have to wait till Spring 07.

At the Games Developers Conference 06, Just before E3 - Nintendo pretty much confirmed this.
Although at E3 Perrin Kaplan said it will be a worldwide release. Including Europe and Australia. Has something else been stated since to reaffirm GDC? From that quote it appears that they are saying they're not just doing it because of their competitors, but not discounting that they'll do it...

I think this is the video although I've not got bradband where I currently am to double check it: http://media.revolution.ign.com/articles/708/708093/vids_1.html

Dagless
May 21, 2006, 05:46 AM
Well I noticed a little something which points towards the E3 Wii GPU being just an overclocked Cube GPU (which will not be the final one, as Nintendo have spent 5 years with ATi on the graphics card alone). On the Gamecube Twilight Princess trailer, you can tell with the button layout on the screen, there is bloom.

What does this mean?

The GC can use Bloom. One of the most obvious effects on the Wii demos. It really was just an overclocked Gamecube GPU. maybe some more video ram too.

So tell me. Why would Nintendo invest 5 years of time and money with ATi just for an overclocked GPU?

mac000
May 21, 2006, 06:58 AM
Well I noticed a little something which points towards the E3 Wii GPU being just an overclocked Cube GPU (which will not be the final one, as Nintendo have spent 5 years with ATi on the graphics card alone). On the Gamecube Twilight Princess trailer, you can tell with the button layout on the screen, there is bloom.

What does this mean?

The GC can use Bloom. One of the most obvious effects on the Wii demos. It really was just an overclocked Gamecube GPU. maybe some more video ram too.

So tell me. Why would Nintendo invest 5 years of time and money with ATi just for an overclocked GPU?

thats an excellent point. If Nintendo is working on a GPU for 5 years... c'mon now it better be do some serious punishing

mac000
May 21, 2006, 07:18 AM
what are bloom effects? and would knowing that the Wii has them lead up to know the level of graphics card?

MacRumorUser
May 21, 2006, 07:58 AM
I think this is the video although I've not got bradband where I currently am to double check it: http://media.revolution.ign.com/articles/708/708093/vids_1.html

300mb for the quicktime file? good job I'm an ign insider member..

I'm going to import a wii anyway- all my cube games are american so it makes sense, besides it's cheaper than getting them over here.

Dagless
May 21, 2006, 08:11 AM
what are bloom effects? and would knowing that the Wii has them lead up to know the level of graphics card?

Bloom is just a fancy lighting trick, the next Lens flair or bump map. started to emerge in PC and 360 games.

Bloom itself is a software trick. Whereas HDR is the hardware alternative. Looks exactly the same but Bloom chokes higher resolution graphics. I can run HL2 in 1600*1200, constantly smooth frame rate. I cannot turn Bloom on at that size, 1024*768 is fine though.

So if the Wii is 480p only then it will handle Bloom perfectly.

The attached screenshot is a bit of obvious bloom from Red Steel. Mario Galaxy has it by the bucket loads too (especially when the boss's flashing light thing explodes, very obvious there).

Basically any graphics card can run Bloom so long as it's fast enough. My 9600pro runs them fine and that's now a 3 year old video card! I'd say a core speed of 500mhz seems reasonable. infact I don't see how they'll be any different to 360/PS3 speed just with the lack of RAM for HD resolutions.
Go and play count the polygons on Wii games.

crachoar
May 21, 2006, 12:07 PM
'Red Steel' still looks like the worst game ever.

I wish they'd make a decent Clancy game for this system, rathan than some confused identity 'hip-hop' FPS game...

MacRumorUser
May 21, 2006, 12:29 PM
I like the character animation in RedSteel. It has potential.

Dagless
May 21, 2006, 12:36 PM
I've never such realistic and fluid animation in an FPS before. or pretty much any game.

crachoar
May 21, 2006, 01:27 PM
Wow, you must not play video games often...

MacBookDJ
May 21, 2006, 02:06 PM

Yeah, raggedjimmi doesn't play videogames very often. lol :rolleyes:

Dagless
May 21, 2006, 02:34 PM

Certainly none of these games have that level of animation (http://satansam.co.uk/ftp/gamelist.html)

I shoot a wall next to an enemy, he doesn't panic, look at the gunshot hole, look at the player and run off in a realistic fashion. He just runs off. At least in 100% of the games I've played. and that list is just the ones I own.

GFLPraxis
May 21, 2006, 04:27 PM

Nintendo WILL have a staggered release with this, so whilst America & Japan will see it before the end of the year, Europe will probably have to wait till Spring 07..

Actually, in a second interview he says he was misquoted. In context, he was saying that they're not going to do it just because others are doing it, it's just something they may or may not decide to do. They're just not going to let the others pressure them into it.

2nyRiggz
May 21, 2006, 07:10 PM
I'm sure the final Wii graphics will be much better than the GCs....mind you the GC had some real nice graphics...that little purple box did pack a punch.

Bless

Dagless
May 21, 2006, 07:18 PM
...that little purple box...

Thank you :D

http://satansam.co.uk/graphics/purplebox.PNG

Eric5h5
May 21, 2006, 07:56 PM
what are bloom effects?

It's when you have a color that's brighter than pure white. This makes the brightness bleed over nearby pixels. You can download the free game Nexuiz and specifically turn on or off bloom effects if you want to see exactly what it is in person.

--Eric

benpatient
May 22, 2006, 02:37 PM
My big concern is the lack of HD compatibility. I gotta be honest...seems like a big mistake from Nintendo...by the time the Wii's successor is available to the public, 70-80% of new TVs will be HD or at least will accept HD inputs. Old-school TVs are going out. In the next 2-3 years you will see flat-panel LCDs and equivalent technologies become cheaper to manufacture than big, bulky glass tube TVs. Any screen over 20" will be at least ED resolution...probably anything 26-27" and up will be 720p.

3D games need all the resolution they can get. Load up your N64 on an HDTV and play some Mario 64.

Then load up Mario 64 on a N64 emulator on the same TV. The only difference between the 2 is that the emulator can render the same vector graphics at any resolution (like 1600x1200, for example).

I'll save you the trouble of finding out if you don't have access to an HD screen and a computer that can use it, or a N64: The N64 looks terrible. it's distractingly jaggedy and ugly-looking. The emulation looks wonderful. Except for the raster images (like signposts and most of the text items, which look like they do on the console).

Even if it was just for the resolution, the Wii neeeeeeeeeds to be HD if I'm going to be able to stand it. The GC looks fairly poor on my plasma. so does the PS2...even the 1080i version of GT4 (which is a fake sort of 1080i).

I've stopped playing console games lately...now I play games on my PC through the plasma most of the time....because it's "HD."

even 1024x768 is a huge improvement over anything the GC or xbox or PS2 puts out.

DEXTERITY
May 23, 2006, 08:32 PM
http://revolution.ign.com/articles/709/709832p1.html

look at the last pic and the orange port..

mac000
May 23, 2006, 09:25 PM
http://revolution.ign.com/articles/709/709832p1.html

look at the last pic and the orange port..

what is it? :confused:

plinkoman
May 23, 2006, 11:27 PM
what is it? :confused:

the port for the sensor bar; look at the pic right above it or read the text :cool: