PDA

View Full Version : Is it legally possible to kick someone's ass if they egg your house?

WillMak
May 21, 2006, 06:44 PM
My house and car got egged last night. I was actually in the living room when it happened and thought it was like a robber trying to get in when I heard the thuds. So I wasated about 10 minutes with a baseball bat to see what would happen next. After ahwile the noises stopped and I realised it was probably just some kids being jackasses. If this occurs again I'm rushing out right away. So if this happens again, what would have happen if I rushed out the door and beat whoever's face is outside to a bloody pulp? Would I get in any sort of legal trouble?

stubeeef
May 21, 2006, 06:48 PM
get a paint gun, you know the attack kind for wargaming.

Next time waste them with an automatic shower of neon pink, then call the police and tell them which ones to look for.

calebjohnston
May 21, 2006, 06:48 PM
Yeah, you would get arrested in no-time flat. My house and my girlfriend's house were got egged last summer, and it cooked onto the house, and won't come off. I know who did it, but they deny it, and the cops said there's nothing I can do. However, they also warned me on "taking action myself" as I would be held accountable.

SuperSnake2012
May 21, 2006, 06:49 PM
I don't think anyone would press charges against you ;)

leftbanke7
May 21, 2006, 06:49 PM
Would I get in any sort of legal trouble?

Sadly, you would despite the fact that the little f**kers deserve it. Usually there is some sort of law that states that you can only inflict harm onto others if you are in danger and you can only inflict harm equal to what is being done to you. So if a guy slapped you, you couldn't beat him to within an inch of his life with a Louisville Slugger.

Lau
May 21, 2006, 06:50 PM
Yes, you would get done for assault. Which would be infinitely more annoying than having your house egged.

Having said that, I know how annoying it is. We had an egg chucked at our window a couple of weeks ago, and didn't notice, and it dried on in the sun. Bloody annoying, especially as I probably know which bunch of deliquent tossers it was as well. I thought if it happened again I would report it, but it hasn't, fortunately.

I reckon your best bet if it happens again is to photograph 'em, then report 'em.

Dagless
May 21, 2006, 06:52 PM
If someone egged our UK house I'd hunt them down. I chased away some kids throwing snowballs once :D and people who used to trespass on the gardens or driveway. but they stopped now. IM THE GUARD DOG. Because the poodle isn't ferocious enough.

...I'm overprotective of our house...

WillMak
May 21, 2006, 06:53 PM
Well that sucks. Good thing it's raining right now so the eggs haven't solidified into the paint. Could I shoot them, with a bb gun then?

calebjohnston
May 21, 2006, 06:55 PM
Um... no?

Your best weapon is a camera. Get a picture if you can, if not, just threaten them with the bat. JUST THREATEN. They're trespassing, and there's nothing wrong with that. They'll leave you alone then.

Kwyjibo
May 21, 2006, 06:57 PM
My house has been egged. I've egged houses. Its funny at the time ...

That being said ... during high school one of my friend's dad heard the kids pull up and his bedroom window overlooked the front of the house. He saw the first egg fly (supposedly these kids had a few dozen) ... he grabbed an empty shotgun and opened the front door. He explained to them that his security camera had recorded the whole thing (bluff) and if it wasn't clean by when he went to get his paper tomorrow he'd be sending the pictures to the police and the high school. His house never really had the problem again but that takes some balls. And well pointing a gun at unarmed kids ... loaded or not ... trespassing or not might cause you some trouble.

Benjamindaines
May 21, 2006, 07:06 PM
If you're in the US and you catch them on your property while they are doing it, yes. Otherwise no, especially if you are in the UK.

--Cheers

commonpeople
May 21, 2006, 07:06 PM
Actually, the above posters are wrong. Hartfield vs Penrose 1973- it's perfectly legal to murder children for throwing an egg at your house. Trust me, I'm a legal expert and I wouldn't write my legal opinion on the internet unless I had 100% confidence.

The police and courts can't lay a finger on you for this one. Just you see.

zap2
May 21, 2006, 07:09 PM
Threaten them with a Bat, or a paintgun and SHOOT into the AIR or near them but aim not to hit them.. not worth it

WillMak
May 21, 2006, 07:16 PM
It is upsetting because My house has also been toilet papered as well in the past month and one of my windows mysteriously shattered as well. I imagine the tires to my car being slashed within a few months.

2nyRiggz
May 21, 2006, 07:17 PM
Oh yea...where i'm from it is welcomed......kick there arse up and down the street and people will join in.

Bless

zach
May 21, 2006, 07:22 PM
just shoot at them but don't hit them... if they've got any sense at all they won't report it and you'll scare the **** out of them.

BornAgainMac
May 21, 2006, 07:31 PM
Just have a talk with them. Or setup a target board using cardboard box against a fence or tree and throw a few with them. Let them pay for the eggs. Eventually they will run out of money. :)

Abstract
May 21, 2006, 07:31 PM
I know who did it, but they deny it, and the cops said there's nothing I can do.

Why not?

Anyway, if I saw someone doing that to my house, I'd walk out the door with a camera, take a photo of them, then chase one of their asses down the street and make an example of him. Yeah, I'd beat him.......not badly, but at least a few punches to the body, and probably one to the head (preferrably the back of the head). Then I'd send a photo to the police, along with this one kid.

Even if I can't get them in trouble, it would be hard to get me in trouble, because lets face it, someone else could have caused those bruises. ;)

Oh, and I've egged my own house before in the dead of winter while I was a Uni student. It froze to the window, and we had to wait until spring to clean it up. Luckily it was my own house, and 2 other housemates were with me at the time (I wasn't always a good little PhD student). :p :eek:

Felldownthewell
May 21, 2006, 07:33 PM
If they had a car, you could have written down their plate number. If they were on foot, they probably live near by, and you could have followed them home then egged THEIR house.

Then just laugh reallllly evily.

adk
May 21, 2006, 08:18 PM
Don't worry about hitting them or not hitting them. As soon as they see the door open they'll be running like hell.

calebjohnston
May 21, 2006, 08:19 PM
I didn't physically see the person, so I don't technically have proof I suppose. But being it was both mine and my girlfriend's place in the same night... things just add up. I was having a bit of a problem with a friend at the time. Turns out he isn't so cool after all.

Spanky Deluxe
May 21, 2006, 08:38 PM
Do you have a camcorder? If yes make sure its charged and near to a window. Next time it happens grab it, film them, run out and film them and then call the police.

savar
May 21, 2006, 08:41 PM
My house and car got egged last night. I was actually in the living room when it happened and thought it was like a robber trying to get in when I heard the thuds. So I wasated about 10 minutes with a baseball bat to see what would happen next. After ahwile the noises stopped and I realised it was probably just some kids being jackasses. If this occurs again I'm rushing out right away. So if this happens again, what would have happen if I rushed out the door and beat whoever's face is outside to a bloody pulp? Would I get in any sort of legal trouble?

You would get in far more trouble than they would.

I know, its an unfair world.

Boggle
May 21, 2006, 08:49 PM
Actually, the above posters are wrong. Hartfield vs Penrose 1973- it's perfectly legal to murder children for throwing an egg at your house. Trust me, I'm a legal expert and I wouldn't write my legal opinion on the internet unless I had 100% confidence.

ROFL...Legal Advice from Ted the Lawyer on Scrubs...This advice comes w/ Flop Sweat and a bad suit.

Man, your situation sucks! I hope the little bastards all fall off their bikes and chip some teeth.

btw, if you do catch the little buggers DON'T even touch'em. Your original post will be evidence of malicious intent & would crucify you.

SamIchi
May 21, 2006, 09:55 PM
Me and my friends use to do that in HS. We had nothing else better to do, but that's a bad excuse.

Timepass
May 21, 2006, 10:00 PM
legally no you can beat them the crap out of them. I believe you are only allow to one up some one if they are attacking you. If they come at you with fist you may go to something like a bat knife. if they have knife you can go to a gun.

I know it sucks. Pretty much you have to have proof (picture finger prints and so on) who did it to do anything legally. Because otherwise it is your word vs there word and you can not prove it.

nsutt22
May 21, 2006, 10:16 PM
All i know is, egging houses is old. Kids/people need to mix it up a bit i think. if i were to do it, i would use something more hilarious such as maybe steaks, hamburger meat balls, dead fish, or something of the short. Then when the people came out thinking the house was egged they would just see a large slab of beef on there porch. any other thoughts on more comical/original items to throw? or throw back?

cycocelica
May 21, 2006, 10:27 PM
get a paint gun, you know the attack kind for wargaming.

Next time waste them with an automatic shower of neon pink, then call the police and tell them which ones to look for.

I did that, needless to say they came back the next night and once again got shot at. I think they learned after that.

XNine
May 21, 2006, 10:53 PM
legally no you can beat them the crap out of them. I believe you are only allow to one up some one if they are attacking you. If they come at you with fist you may go to something like a bat knife. if they have knife you can go to a gun.

What the hell is a bat knife?

More importantly, I agree, chase after the little bastards. If one doesn't get off your property while the others are running, beat the piss out of him and say "He was on my property and threatened to kill me." :)

EricNau
May 21, 2006, 11:01 PM
If they are on your properly, shoot 'em. It's self defense... Who knows, they might have a gun. ;)

jefhatfield
May 21, 2006, 11:03 PM

i am only a law student, and what i studied in college was labor and empoyment law for my ba, but it doesn't take a genius to realize that the job of dealing with "eggers" is for the cops, not you

i sympathize with you...once years ago i was a working for a month for christmas season in a retail store of a fortune 500 company, and this man came in with his kids and started assualting his children right then and there...he was either drunk or high on drugs

by law, we couldn't do anything about it, or he would sue our multi-billion dollar corporation...so the manager of the store just let it happen...it was sad, and the only thing he was able to legally do was call mall security or the city cops...but nobody who worked there had any legal recourse to intervene

jefhatfield
May 21, 2006, 11:12 PM

pm me a six part standard legal memorandum on this... :)

Abstract
May 22, 2006, 12:46 AM
by law, we couldn't do anything about it, or he would sue our multi-billion dollar corporation...so the manager of the store just let it happen...it was sad, and the only thing he was able to legally do was call mall security or the city cops...but nobody who worked there had any legal recourse to intervene

Why not?

Well.......tough spot. Now that I think about it, I guess you couldn't go over there and start whacking the dad over the head with a chair or something, since your store would get sued, but your customers surely could have. That's what I'd hope would happen.......someone steps up and starts beating the man with an object and you just let it happen. You're powerless, after all.

Anyway, I don't understand why you can't legally stop him from beating his kids. Surely you could hold him back. He's their father, but beating kids is illegal, as is beating anyone up.

plinkoman
May 22, 2006, 01:09 AM
I don't want to know what i would do if someone egged my car. that stuff destroys paint, and I am even more obsessive about keeping my car perfect then my Mac. Let's just say that 4 D-cell maglight i keep in my car would get some good use. I generally hate violence, but i don't spend hours a week, and hundreds of dollars a year keeping my car pristine just for some dumb punk who thinks he's being cool to completely ruin all of that.

fortunately, it has yet to happen to me with this car; it once happened way back in high school with my first car, but that car wasn't worth much more than the eggs :p

but yea, basically, i don't see any way you wouldn't get in trouble attacking an egger, and unless you have alot on him (video, license etc...), i doubt he would ever get in any trouble. just one more thing to add to the list of why i hate this country. :rolleyes:

killuminati
May 22, 2006, 01:11 AM
Get a gun and shoot blanks at them.

That will scare the **** out of them.

D0ct0rteeth
May 22, 2006, 01:26 AM
i am only a law student, and what i studied in college was labor and empoyment law for my ba, but it doesn't take a genius to realize that the job of dealing with "eggers" is for the cops, not you

i sympathize with you...once years ago i was a working for a month for christmas season in a retail store of a fortune 500 company, and this man came in with his kids and started assualting his children right then and there...he was either drunk or high on drugs

Ok. Im sorry but that is by far the most disgusting Lazy ass american thing I have ever read. Im disgusted.

You should, and even if you didnt get off your fat ass and go help those kids then somebody should have. To hell with your job. You can get a new one, hell, You would have probably received a raise, or even been profiled by the news and offerred a better job. No judge would ever allow this guy to try his case in his courtroom. You could have pulled this guy off his kids, declared a citizens arrest, and called the cops. No need to whup the guys ass - but you sat there and watched some guy thump on his kids like it was a damn reality television show. There is a special place reserved in hell for people like you. This guy probably continues this behavior all the time at home, if he's comfortable enough to do it in a crowded store, and thank goodness you were there to watch. You really make all of us very proud of you.

In a civilized society it is EVERYONES responsibility to stand for those who can defend themselves and you are just as pathetic as a child abusing idiot for not getting involved.

I hope you can sleep at night knowing you kept you $8/hr job as a santa or cashier or whatever it was you were doing. Apathy is by far the most infuriating thing I can imagine, especially with child abuse.

If you want to reply to this, dont even bother. Just PM me and I'll paypal ya 8 bucks and you can feel like you accomplished something - and you won't even have to lift a finger.

Loser.

jefhatfield
May 22, 2006, 08:03 AM
I hope you can sleep at night knowing you kept you $8/hr job as a santa or cashier or whatever it was you were doing. Apathy is by far the most infuriating thing I can imagine, especially with child abuse.

If you want to reply to this, dont even bother. Just PM me and I'll paypal ya 8 bucks and you can feel like you accomplished something - and you won't even have to lift a finger.

Loser.

not about the job. ok.

when another employee and i saw the disturbance, i contacted my manager and he deemed it "nothing" that bad...when the disturbed man continued, i alerted the manager again, who was with the district manager, and the manager told us we should not intervene, and couldn't...and the district manager refused to leave his office

i suggested mall security or the police...the manager refused

later, when the situation cooled down, the father, typical of molesters, hugged the kids and it was all over and everybody was hunky dory...fine..but it didn't sit right with me

when i told the returning assistant manager what i saw, he said he would have beat up the man who was the perpetrator...i quit the job and the told the manager it was because of the incident

Bubbasteve
May 22, 2006, 08:14 AM
1. Find Dog
2. Scoop of dog's "waste" (aka poop)
3. Place waste in brown paper bag
4. Place bag infront of enemie's front door
5. Set bag on fire
6. Ring doorbell and run

That's all you really gotta do my friend ;). Hey it sounds pretty ingenius at 8:14 in the morning.

Black&Tan
May 22, 2006, 08:24 AM
Gunfire is not a good thing. In most towns, its illegal to even discharge a gun within city limits. So if you fire a shotgun to scare them off, even if its in the air, the cops can arrest you for illegal discharge of a firearm.

Check with your local ordinance to see if its possible...

Queso
May 22, 2006, 08:33 AM
I'll take it from the fact you're even asking us for advice means you live in the UK. Unfortunately the kids that cause the most trouble are also the first ones to go running to the Police if you lay a finger on them. Your best strategy is to egg the little ***** back. Get them right on their chavvy hoodie tops. Use ink too. That way they have to explain to Mummy how their clothes got ruined. With any luck she'll do the battering for you.

eva01
May 22, 2006, 09:21 AM
In certain states in america you could legally shoot them for being on your property.

Some states they have to be breaking into your house before you can kill them.

However i would not recommend doing that.

Anyways i would do anything and would just clean it up and not care.

2nyRiggz
May 22, 2006, 09:36 AM
In certain states in america you could legally shoot them for being on your property.

Yea in Hillbilly states...........*hillbilly voice* yall go on and get.....get i say!

Bless

D0ct0rteeth
May 22, 2006, 10:00 AM
not about the job. ok.

when another employee and i saw the disturbance, i contacted my manager and he deemed it "nothing" that bad...when the disturbed man continued, i alerted the manager again, who was with the district manager, and the manager told us we should not intervene, and couldn't...and the district manager refused to leave his office

i suggested mall security or the police...the manager refused

later, when the situation cooled down, the father, typical of molesters, hugged the kids and it was all over and everybody was hunky dory...fine..but it didn't sit right with me

when i told the returning assistant manager what i saw, he said he would have beat up the man who was the perpetrator...i quit the job and the told the manager it was because of the incident

cool deal. Cheers for geting involved though. I wouldnt have been as calm as you, obviously. But I'll retract the "special place in hell comment" and the harsh tone of my comments.

Man, they are just kids - and there is no way in the world I could have handled it as rationally as you did.

Peace.

jefhatfield
May 22, 2006, 10:11 AM
cool deal. Cheers for geting involved though. I wouldnt have been as calm as you, obviously. But I'll retract the "special place in hell comment" and the harsh tone of my comments.

Man, they are just kids - and there is no way in the world I could have handled it as rationally as you did.

Peace.

thanks...he he...for a second i thought you were going to go at me on this forum like former members spikey or alphatech ;) (from the very old days of macrumors when flamewars were the norm)

back then in 2000-2001, i volunteered myself as sort of an unofficial moderator between spikey and his lot and john123/kela/alphatech, to help blakespot the administrator then, but then both sides wanted to tar and feather me...good thing they were mostly all the way back in london though

then came wdlove, and he became the ultimate peacemaker here...i miss him a lot

but both spikey, and i think alphatech are back here as reinvented kinder and gentler members of macrumors :)

peace,

jef

D0ct0rteeth
May 22, 2006, 10:24 AM
thanks...he he...for a second i thought you were going to go at me on this forum like former members spikey or alphatech ;) (from the very old days of macrumors when flamewars were the norm)

back then in 2000-2001, i volunteered myself as sort of an unofficial moderator between spikey and his lot and john123/kela/alphatech, to help blakespot the administrator then, but then both sides wanted to tar and feather me...good thing they were mostly all the way back in london though

then came wdlove, and he became the ultimate peacemaker here...i miss him a lot

but both spikey, and i think alphatech are back here as reinvented kinder and gentler members of macrumors :)

peace,

jef

I remember the Alphatech and Spiky days well. Mon frere'

ahhh.memories.

- Doc

jefhatfield
May 22, 2006, 10:24 AM

that reminds me of the saturday night live skit where eddie murphy goes to a white neighborhood and stands on the lawns of the residents

and eddie murphy, also playing another character, dressed in heavy makeup as the white landowner, yells: "oi veh, hey schwatze, get off my lawn"

my jewish wife once dated an african american man from the south bronx in her teens and she literally encountered incidents like that in new york with her not so liberally minded father

i also loved eddie murphy's multi ethnic barbershop characters all getting into a row over the greatness, or lack of, of rocky marciano :) ...funny stuff, indeed...very edgy for its time, but nonetheless very funny

the black community would draw an acceptable line of conscience and taste, and so would the white community...and then here comes 19 year old eddie murphy to break down all barriers and insult everybody, equally

but i am glad he did the more innocent dr. doolittle series aimed at children

Mr. Durden
May 22, 2006, 06:03 PM
What the hell is a bat knife?

Usually found in batmans utility belt.:D

Mr. Durden
May 22, 2006, 06:08 PM

Ummmm, are you sure about that? Even with the Make My Day law, there has to be some sort of justifiable reason to blow someones head off.

So if I live in one of the states where its legal to cap people for being on your property I'm going to need a lot of amo this Halloween...

stubeeef
May 22, 2006, 06:19 PM
being that I am for the death penalty for parking violations, I think you ought to escalate till somewhere in the realm of Nukes! Or egg the everlivin 5h1t out of their house and cars, fill the yard with large animal dung, and put a large sign in the yard calling them Kanigits!

mactastic
May 22, 2006, 06:23 PM
Perhaps a teflon coating for your house?:D

Personally I'd try for photographs. Any gun or weapon you use can be used against you by a prosecutor, even if it's "only" a paintball or BB gun.

Or just egg 'em back if you're sure who it is. They can't do much about it you know...

XNine
May 22, 2006, 06:35 PM
Better then egging them- take anti-freeze to their lawns and right profane comments with it. Whent he grass dies it should read something like

WE LOVE SATAN or WE HATE BLACK PEOPLE. That way others will go after them and do worse. lol

Benjamindaines
May 22, 2006, 06:42 PM
Better then egging them- take anti-freeze to their lawns and right profane comments with it. Whent he grass dies it should read something like

WE LOVE SATAN or WE HATE BLACK PEOPLE. That way others will go after them and do worse. lol
LMAO That had to be the best thing I've read all day!

Mr. Durden
May 23, 2006, 10:55 AM

Its funny you say that. I've heard of people putting really horrible sayings on bumper stickers and then putting them on peoples cars. Often times the owners of the cars have no idea and drive all over the place with the stickers still on the car. My personal favorites are: "I voted for Osama", "Jews go home", and "I hate _____" (Fill in any racist slang). Thats sure to get a responce eventually. I would not condone this behavior, however.

jdechko
May 23, 2006, 01:15 PM
Personally, I vote for the Paintball gun idea. The next time they do it, just pop off a few rounds at them. If you hit them and they complain, just say "Hey, I thought we were playing a game."

XNine
May 23, 2006, 01:16 PM
Its funny you say that. I've heard of people putting really horrible sayings on bumper stickers and then putting them on peoples cars. Often times the owners of the cars have no idea and drive all over the place with the stickers still on the car. My personal favorites are: "I voted for Osama", "Jews go home", and "I hate _____" (Fill in any racist slang). Thats sure to get a responce eventually. I would not condone this behavior, however.

The first rule of Project Mayhem is that you don't talk about Project Mayhem.

ManchesterTrix
May 23, 2006, 01:23 PM
Personally, I vote for the Paintball gun idea. The next time they do it, just pop off a few rounds at them. If you hit them and they complain, just say "Hey, I thought we were playing a game."

Unless the police get involved and you get charged with Assault with a Deadly weapon.