Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
My house and car got egged last night. I was actually in the living room when it happened and thought it was like a robber trying to get in when I heard the thuds. So I wasated about 10 minutes with a baseball bat to see what would happen next. After ahwile the noises stopped and I realised it was probably just some kids being jackasses. If this occurs again I'm rushing out right away. So if this happens again, what would have happen if I rushed out the door and beat whoever's face is outside to a bloody pulp? Would I get in any sort of legal trouble?

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
get a paint gun, you know the attack kind for wargaming.

Next time waste them with an automatic shower of neon pink, then call the police and tell them which ones to look for.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
Yeah, you would get arrested in no-time flat. My house and my girlfriend's house were got egged last summer, and it cooked onto the house, and won't come off. I know who did it, but they deny it, and the cops said there's nothing I can do. However, they also warned me on "taking action myself" as I would be held accountable.

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
WillMak said:
Would I get in any sort of legal trouble?

Sadly, you would despite the fact that the little f**kers deserve it. Usually there is some sort of law that states that you can only inflict harm onto others if you are in danger and you can only inflict harm equal to what is being done to you. So if a guy slapped you, you couldn't beat him to within an inch of his life with a Louisville Slugger.

L

Lau

Yes, you would get done for assault. Which would be infinitely more annoying than having your house egged.

Having said that, I know how annoying it is. We had an egg chucked at our window a couple of weeks ago, and didn't notice, and it dried on in the sun. Bloody annoying, especially as I probably know which bunch of deliquent tossers it was as well. I thought if it happened again I would report it, but it hasn't, fortunately.

I reckon your best bet if it happens again is to photograph 'em, then report 'em.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
If someone egged our UK house I'd hunt them down. I chased away some kids throwing snowballs once :D and people who used to trespass on the gardens or driveway. but they stopped now. IM THE GUARD DOG. Because the poodle isn't ferocious enough.

...I'm overprotective of our house...

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Well that sucks. Good thing it's raining right now so the eggs haven't solidified into the paint. Could I shoot them, with a bb gun then?

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
Um... no?

Your best weapon is a camera. Get a picture if you can, if not, just threaten them with the bat. JUST THREATEN. They're trespassing, and there's nothing wrong with that. They'll leave you alone then.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
My house has been egged. I've egged houses. Its funny at the time ...

That being said ... during high school one of my friend's dad heard the kids pull up and his bedroom window overlooked the front of the house. He saw the first egg fly (supposedly these kids had a few dozen) ... he grabbed an empty shotgun and opened the front door. He explained to them that his security camera had recorded the whole thing (bluff) and if it wasn't clean by when he went to get his paper tomorrow he'd be sending the pictures to the police and the high school. His house never really had the problem again but that takes some balls. And well pointing a gun at unarmed kids ... loaded or not ... trespassing or not might cause you some trouble.

commonpeople

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2004
Actually, the above posters are wrong. Hartfield vs Penrose 1973- it's perfectly legal to murder children for throwing an egg at your house. Trust me, I'm a legal expert and I wouldn't write my legal opinion on the internet unless I had 100% confidence.

The police and courts can't lay a finger on you for this one. Just you see.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
It is upsetting because My house has also been toilet papered as well in the past month and one of my windows mysteriously shattered as well. I imagine the tires to my car being slashed within a few months.

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
just shoot at them but don't hit them... if they've got any sense at all they won't report it and you'll scare the **** out of them.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Just have a talk with them. Or setup a target board using cardboard box against a fence or tree and throw a few with them. Let them pay for the eggs. Eventually they will run out of money. :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
calebjohnston said:
I know who did it, but they deny it, and the cops said there's nothing I can do.

Why not?

Anyway, if I saw someone doing that to my house, I'd walk out the door with a camera, take a photo of them, then chase one of their asses down the street and make an example of him. Yeah, I'd beat him.......not badly, but at least a few punches to the body, and probably one to the head (preferrably the back of the head). Then I'd send a photo to the police, along with this one kid.

Even if I can't get them in trouble, it would be hard to get me in trouble, because lets face it, someone else could have caused those bruises. ;)

Oh, and I've egged my own house before in the dead of winter while I was a Uni student. It froze to the window, and we had to wait until spring to clean it up. Luckily it was my own house, and 2 other housemates were with me at the time (I wasn't always a good little PhD student). :p :eek:

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
If they had a car, you could have written down their plate number. If they were on foot, they probably live near by, and you could have followed them home then egged THEIR house.

Then just laugh reallllly evily.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
I didn't physically see the person, so I don't technically have proof I suppose. But being it was both mine and my girlfriend's place in the same night... things just add up. I was having a bit of a problem with a friend at the time. Turns out he isn't so cool after all.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Do you have a camcorder? If yes make sure its charged and near to a window. Next time it happens grab it, film them, run out and film them and then call the police.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
WillMak said:
My house and car got egged last night. I was actually in the living room when it happened and thought it was like a robber trying to get in when I heard the thuds. So I wasated about 10 minutes with a baseball bat to see what would happen next. After ahwile the noises stopped and I realised it was probably just some kids being jackasses. If this occurs again I'm rushing out right away. So if this happens again, what would have happen if I rushed out the door and beat whoever's face is outside to a bloody pulp? Would I get in any sort of legal trouble?

You would get in far more trouble than they would.

I know, its an unfair world.

commonpeople said:
Actually, the above posters are wrong. Hartfield vs Penrose 1973- it's perfectly legal to murder children for throwing an egg at your house. Trust me, I'm a legal expert and I wouldn't write my legal opinion on the internet unless I had 100% confidence.

The police and courts can't lay a finger on you for this one. Just you see.

ROFL...Legal Advice from Ted the Lawyer on Scrubs...This advice comes w/ Flop Sweat and a bad suit.

Man, your situation sucks! I hope the little bastards all fall off their bikes and chip some teeth.

btw, if you do catch the little buggers DON'T even touch'em. Your original post will be evidence of malicious intent & would crucify you.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
Me and my friends use to do that in HS. We had nothing else better to do, but that's a bad excuse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.