PDA

View Full Version : which iPod to buy

fjs08
May 21, 2006, 07:06 PM
Hi,

I have the original iPod (15 gig) and love it. I would like to get a new iPod that will show video too. My current iPod has 1.5 gig on it. At least that what the Get Info says when I open up Music/iTunes/iTunes Music. iPhoto has 1.68 gig on it. If I'm looking at the wrong spot to see what I have, let me know.

Anyway, 30 or 60gig iPod video player??? I'm not sure how much stuff I'd put on it but with color and all the stuff available I'm sure I'd be putting a bunch on.

60 gig seems like a bit of overkill, but again, I'm not sure how much space the video takes up. I know I'd love to put my DVD of The Eagles Farewell Tour I on it (if that's possible). When we're on vacation, I put the Biography shows, not to mention a bunch of podcasts. My wife wants one now too!! I told her she could have my "old" iPod but she's not buying that. She's into "Lost."

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Frank

2nyRiggz
May 21, 2006, 07:12 PM
Depends on if you want your ipod really slim then get the 30 or if u dont mind the little(very little) extra bulk of the 60gig.

When you start downloading movies n such...the 60gig will be handy.

Bless

imacintel
May 21, 2006, 07:17 PM
Hi,

I have the original iPod (15 gig) and love it. I would like to get a new iPod that will show video too. My current iPod has 1.5 gig on it. At least that what the Get Info says when I open up Music/iTunes/iTunes Music. iPhoto has 1.68 gig on it. If I'm looking at the wrong spot to see what I have, let me know.

Anyway, 30 or 60gig iPod video player??? I'm not sure how much stuff I'd put on it but with color and all the stuff available I'm sure I'd be putting a bunch on.

60 gig seems like a bit of overkill, but again, I'm not sure how much space the video takes up. I know I'd love to put my DVD of The Eagles Farewell Tour I on it (if that's possible). When we're on vacation, I put the Biography shows, not to mention a bunch of podcasts. My wife wants one now too!! I told her she could have my "old" iPod but she's not buying that. She's into "Lost."

Thanks.

Frank

For your use, go with the 60G. You would need the space. One short (88 min)DVD is about 6 giga byttes. A TV show should be about a gig. Podcasts are big with lots of them, you'll wanna 60G. For your wife, with ideally the same use, go with the 60 gig. If she isn't ripping video, and only putting photos, and a couple of episodes of LOST, your wife would be good with 30G. but if she rips videos, go with 60 G.:)

rye9
May 21, 2006, 07:17 PM
If you've only got about 2.5GB of music/photos, then I say the 30GB would be enough. Like, an average length movie is about half a gig, so it would take about 14 movies to fill up the iPod, and if you're only putting TV shows on, then it would be fine. But I don't know exactly how much you'd be putting on there, so my guess isnt that accurate.

fjs08
May 21, 2006, 07:23 PM
>>One short (88 min)DVD is about 6 giga byttes. A TV show should be about a gig. Podcasts are big with lots of them, you'll wanna 60G. For your wife, with ideally the same use, go with the 60 gig. If she isn't ripping video, and only putting photos, and a couple of episodes of LOST, your wife would be good with 30G. but if she rips videos, go with 60 G<<

Now that the kids are grown, we are able to travel a bit more. I've been bringing my TiBook on the plane and watching the Eagles DVD. Twice now, I've gotten into it and the Mac just went into "coma" mode. So I'm thinking a video iPod would be a "good investment!!"<g> How's that for rationalization!!! Can I put a DVD that's not purchased from the iTunes store onto the iPod video??
Thanks.
Frank

rye9
May 21, 2006, 07:35 PM
Can I put a DVD that's not purchased from the iTunes store onto the iPod video??
Thanks.
Frank

Yes. Google Mac the Ripper and download it. Then, you have a video file of the DVD. Then, you can convert it into an iPod format using either HandBrake, or iSquint.

NicP
May 21, 2006, 09:41 PM
For your use, go with the 60G. You would need the space. One short (88 min)DVD is about 6 giga byttes. A TV show should be about a gig. Podcasts are big with lots of them, you'll wanna 60G. For your wife, with ideally the same use, go with the 60 gig. If she isn't ripping video, and only putting photos, and a couple of episodes of LOST, your wife would be good with 30G. but if she rips videos, go with 60 G.:)

How on earth do you rip your dvds/tv shows? my movies are less than a gig and my tv shows are less than a few hundred meg. Given that the highest bitrate the ipod supports is 2.5mbps, a 6 gig video that is 88 minutes long will not play.

Mammoth
May 21, 2006, 11:46 PM
How on earth do you rip your dvds/tv shows? my movies are less than a gig and my tv shows are less than a few hundred meg. Given that the highest bitrate the ipod supports is 2.5mbps, a 6 gig video that is 88 minutes long will not play.
That is right, the DVD image is over 6 gigs, but when compressed into MPEG4 with the iPod resolution it will be less than 750MB.

Chundles
May 22, 2006, 12:15 AM
Hi Frank.

First off, your 15GB iPod is not "the original" iPod - that was only 5GB and was released in 2001.

OK, pedant mode off.

If you can afford the 60GB it's probably not a bad idea, you may see it as overkill now but once you start ripping DVDs etc you'll find you can fill it up pretty quickly.

Handbrake is one of the best freeware apps I've seen - it's all you need to rip DVDs to mp4 files (you DO NOT need MacTheRipper although it can help with tricky discs that won't rip with Handbrake, they are few and far between though).

For video filesizes, I've found that for your average 30 minute TV show, a filesize of 200MB gives good results, about 300MB for a 40 minute show like Lost. For whole movies, I try to rip in MPEG4 at around 1200kbps with sound at 128kbps - it gives file sizes about 1GB for most movies. Currently I have to use a smaller bit rate so I can back up to CD but once I get myself a DVD burner then it will work fine with the bigger files.

So basically either iPod will suit you, the 60GB will likely last you for a hell of a lot longer though.

thecheda
May 22, 2006, 12:17 AM
Hi,

Thanks.

Frank

bigger is better.

fjs08
May 22, 2006, 03:14 AM
>>Handbrake is one of the best freeware apps I've seen - it's all you need to rip DVDs to mp4 files (you DO NOT need MacTheRipper although it can help with tricky discs that won't rip with Handbrake, they are few and far between though).<<

Do any of the "rippers" do anything to the original DVD's??

Thanks.

Frank

SamJ
May 22, 2006, 04:30 AM
Sorry to jump into this thread but I've also got a question about ripping DVD to ipod. Is it possible to copy the dvd menus to an ipod as opposed to just the episodes etc. organized into playlists? I'm hoping I can make one huge family guy folder when I get mine and play the episodes as if I was watching a dvd.

netdog
May 22, 2006, 05:22 AM
Depends on if you want your ipod really slim then get the 30 or if u dont mind the little(very little) extra bulk of the 60gig.

When you start downloading movies n such...the 60gig will be handy.

Bless

I think that when you start downloading movies, you will want the fullscreen vPod coming late this fall. For that reason, I would buy a Nano for now, and keep the cash on reserve for the next gen if you are interested in video on your pod. If not, buy the 60GB now. Remember, you can use this as a portable drive too.

fjs08
May 22, 2006, 05:26 AM
>>I think that when you start downloading movies, you will want the fullscreen vPod coming late this fall<<

That sounds great. Is there a web site with info on this??

Frank

netdog
May 22, 2006, 05:31 AM
>>I think that when you start downloading movies, you will want the fullscreen vPod coming late this fall<<

That sounds great. Is there a web site with info on this??

Frank

All the rumor sites have covered it thoroughly.

fjs08
May 22, 2006, 05:58 AM
I read a bit about it here. Not sure if this is going to be a video only iPod or just an update to the current iPod. What's the deal with that.
Frank

fjs08
May 22, 2006, 06:29 AM
I just browsed around the posts on MacRumors. Guess there's a debate on when they'll be out and what they'll be like. Apple has been coming out with pretty good stuff. I'll probably use it for mostly audio stuff, so I may just get one now.

Frank

fjs08
May 22, 2006, 07:01 PM
Got to the Apple store today in Tampa, Florida. the iPod video is pretty slick! Just have to decide on the 30 vs 60 gig. I asked about the upcoming video iPod and the guy was non-committal, saying nothing has been announced. I guess I should have expected that.

Got to play around with the Mac Book Pros. Really fast!!! The 17" is HUGE!! I have a 15" TiBook. The 17" was really big. They were really HOT on the bottom, especially around the screen side. You couldn't stand it on your lap. Mac Books weren't as hot (temp wise). The black Mac just seemed to scream ThinkPad!!

Frank