PDA

View Full Version : 86% of Wintel users considers a Mac

crassusad44
Feb 10, 2002, 12:52 PM
David Coursey, a long time Windows user, has a great time with his Mac, and is really positive in his Apple Odessey article. A great read. Whats really exciting is the poll posted at the end of the article. When I looked in, 86% of the votes casted were considering Macs (or at least stated that it doesn't matter if it's a Wintel dominated world, you can buy a Mac anyways). Seems like more and more Windows users are looking towards the Mac... finally... :)

http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2844895,00.html

whfsdude
Feb 10, 2002, 01:00 PM
omg yes, 3 windows comp guys at are school are all getting macs :P thx to me, I took down the network 2 times lol

britboy
Feb 10, 2002, 01:00 PM
Seems like he took the general advice everyone was giving in response to his original article and switched his trials to a G4. Good of him to give the mac a fighting chance.

Taft
Feb 10, 2002, 01:59 PM
I have seen *tons* of press on this primarily in the Mac biased media. I'd imagine this figure is probably a quite biased (or at least unrealistic in its results--as are most internet polls).

Maybe I'm wrong, though. I'd be very happy if I was; it would be great to see that 5% market share going up. :)

Matthew

Hemingray
Feb 10, 2002, 02:19 PM
And that 86% means absolutely jack if they don't buy one... you know?

Apple's still on the rebound, they're still picking up speed... give OS X a couple more years and the G5 a chance to blow some competition away... and we may see some more significant heads turn.

Let's hope!

crassusad44
Feb 10, 2002, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by mrtrumbe
I have seen *tons* of press on this primarily in the Mac biased media. I'd imagine this figure is probably a quite biased (or at least unrealistic in its results--as are most internet polls).

Case is, three years ago, there wouldn't even be a poll like this. And if there were some Apple poll it would say «When do you believe Apple will be out of business?».
Thing have changes dramatically. Apple is picking up a lot of good press, and people are generally more positive towards the Mac, and many, many more seem to consider buying their own.

AlphaTech
Feb 10, 2002, 02:31 PM
About time someone did this.

I have known that the Mac was superior to the peecee ever since I was first introduced to them in 1988 at college. Before then, I had been mainstream (peecee user). It was soooo easy to learn to use the Mac that it surprised even me. The same can be said of the applications since they all share basic commands (open, copy, paste...) with most of those being the same key combination across the board.

The ONLY thing that the peecee world have over the Mac, is NUMBER of games available. More then a few of the newer games are coming out for the Mac, but we need more. There was a brief time where game makers were producing dual platform cd's. That made sense to me, that way they get 100% market coverage. It also reduces production cost since you are using one cd, package and such to cover everyone. Granted games are becoming more complicated, and sometimes require multiple cd's, but it can still be done. They could product the dual platform games onto dvd media. Granted, that might make people either get a dvd-rom drive, or a system with one. If that was to start happen, then many Apple would make the standard optical drive the combo (dvd-rom/cd-rw) to give users more capabilities. I have dvd capability in all my home systems, as well as the one at work (superdrive).

AlphaTech
Feb 10, 2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by crassusad44

Case is, three years ago, there wouldn't even be a poll like this. And if there were some Apple poll it would say «When do you believe Apple will be out of business?».
Thing have changes dramatically. Apple is picking up a lot of good press, and people are generally more positive towards the Mac, and many, many more seem to consider buying their own.

I had heard about Apple being on it's death bed for years... I still know peecee users that say that they are either in trouble (and will be gone soon) or are loosing their market share. I try to educate them about the strength of the Mac, and how strong it's loyal customer set is, but they just get that glazed over look. Apple might have made some bad business choices over the years, but how many companies do you know of that have gone where Apple has, and come back?? Granted, most of Apple's current success is thanks to the return of Mr. Jobs. No other pc companies are making innovations, only Apple is. :D

Long live Apple...

Taft
Feb 10, 2002, 03:16 PM
That has to be my pet peve of all ignorant Mac comments out there. Every once and a while you still run into that one out on message boards on other tech site. So aggravating! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Matthew

seanbeahm
Feb 10, 2002, 03:23 PM
"I have known that the Mac was superior to the peecee ever since I was first introduced to them in 1988 at college. Before then, I had been mainstream (peecee user)."

I thought that Macs and Apple IIs were mainstream before 1988. I guess not...

AlphaTech
Feb 10, 2002, 03:31 PM
My first exposure to the Mac was in 1988, before that we had ONE Apple II in high school that was rarely, if ever, used.

grrr223
Feb 10, 2002, 05:28 PM
I hate it when people base their hatred of apple on the Apple IIgs 's they used in elementary school. I personally think that Apple's apparent interest in higher end graphics and video as well as the Unix crowd will, in time, have a significant impact on Apple's strength in the consumer markets. Most people buy PCs at home because that's what they use at work (and are unaware that there are few, if any, barriers between sharing mac and PC files in today's internet oriented world). The more people that use Macs in their professional lives, the more people will buy them at home. The other thing is that things like the purchase of Nothing Real and more moves like that will create interest in technologies that will eventually filter their way down to the consumer level. Things thing this new GeForce Ti card, there are many computers that don't have 128 meg of friggin' RAM on them, someone's gotta make some games to take advantage of that stuff, Apple is here to stay, and I love it.

amichalo
Feb 10, 2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by grrr223
I hate it when people base their hatred of apple on the Apple IIgs 's they used in elementary school. [...]
The IBM PC Jr. I used with the 5 1/4" floppy disk drive and Bank Street Writer is certainly no bench mark for today's Wintel systems. I think Apple needs a marketing campaign to get people to "be a kid again" and try a new Mac (the New iMac?)

Durandal7
Feb 10, 2002, 09:07 PM
I don't believe that this poll could be accurate. Every mac site on the web has posted a link to this article and on that poll there is no "I already have a mac" option, the closest to that is the "yes, I would consider mac" option.
Say what you will about the IIgs, I still like them.

AlphaTech
Feb 10, 2002, 09:28 PM
Just for the record, the Apple II I was referring to was NOT a Mac. It was a pre-Mac system and not even close to as nice as the Mac. We had a few Mac SE's at college and a ton of Mac II series (different ones). Before I left college, the were still buying more Mac's, along with some other systems.

As I mentioned, before college, I was one of the masses that only used peecee's. That was before I knew better. Since then, I have used Mac's at every position that I have held since college. For the design field, and anything associated with it, the Mac is still a much better system.

I have purchased three Mac systems over the years, and will be buying another this year. I fully plan to purchase either a new desktop or laptop every three years. With the desktop replacement happening this year, and again in another three. I have had my TiBook for over a year now, so I am another two years away from getting a new one. That should keep me up to date enough for my needs and desires.

grrr223
Feb 10, 2002, 09:35 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to belittle the II gs, I enjoyed them. Logo Robot, Turtle Tracks, Children's Writing Workshop (I think that's what it was called), and what was the game where you had to fly around and mix different potions together to solve problems? It's just that for a lot of people, their last experience with an apple product was elementary school, and they compare that to their new Dell 1.8 ghz system with flat screen and wireless keyboard and mouse, I agree about the be a kid again marketing campaign. If any of you have been in the apple stores, I really like those bouncy chairs they have set up around the imacs.

Apple Forever!

blindman858
Feb 11, 2002, 11:02 AM
lol Dude how did you take down your school network. Its very hard i have tried using the mac. But they have blocked off everything. Cant restart with extensions off or anything of that sort. Lol we had so much security that we werent aloud to move the icons on the desktop slightly to the left. Interested in hearing how u did it.:rolleyes:

Hemingray
Feb 11, 2002, 11:17 AM
TURTLE TRACKS!! :D

LT90
RT180
LT45

Mwahaha... God I miss those days. 5.25" floppy drives, monochrome greenscreens... *sigh* ;)

Macpoops
Feb 11, 2002, 12:39 PM
I crashed one of my colleges sub nets with an airport station this January. Really pissed off the IT guy. And It really caused a shake up in the college administration. They even confiscated the station for a period of time. I fought them and won under the agreement that i would not reconnect it. Jokes on them though i reconfigured it and reconnected it with no problems. Leave it to a Wintel IT to tell me that i can't reconfigure an Airport to seamlessly work with the network. What an Uneducated prick.

Durandal7
Feb 11, 2002, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by AlphaTech
Just for the record, the Apple II I was referring to was NOT a Mac. It was a pre-Mac system and not even close to as nice as the Mac.
Only Woz could ever get a text UI right.

Ensign Paris
Feb 11, 2002, 06:22 PM
does anybody know a way of getting a full NT and 2k IT dept over to mac? I have demonstrated the differences between my d800 and there 1.8ghz machines in speed and taken down most of the servers but they still wont listen!

Ensign

Macpoops
Feb 12, 2002, 10:08 AM
They never will listen. It's what they are paid to do. My experiance with most windows IT professionals is that they don't want to chance a thing about what they do. They even have a problem with changing to new windows technology. Also there is that possiblity that if they switch to a Mac that their out of a Job. So in conclusion i think your get better results talking to a brick wall but thats your choice

F/reW/re
Feb 12, 2002, 10:44 AM
hahahah, 86% of Wintel users doesn't know what a Mac is! How can they be considering a Mac then . . .?

Gelfin
Feb 12, 2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by asurace
I don't believe that this poll could be accurate. Every mac site on the web has posted a link to this article and on that poll there is no "I already have a mac" option, the closest to that is the "yes, I would consider mac" option.
Say what you will about the IIgs, I still like them.

Good point. There's also a problem with the wording of the poll. You've got two options, "Yes. It doesn't matter as much anymore that it's a Windows-dominated world" and "No. I don't have the time or patience to convert entirely to a different platform."

These choices came at the end of an article whose main point was, "It doesn't matter as much anymore that it's a Windows-dominated world." The poll is more like a test of how well the article conveyed its message. Compare that to choosing the "no" answer, which might as well read, "No. I am a closed-minded impatient goober."

I'd like to believe almost 9 out of 10 Windows users are considering Macs, but that poll doesn't really demonstrate it.

Jookbox
Feb 12, 2002, 01:32 PM
next time the powermacs are updated, i will buy one.. my first mac. it's just too bad that a big percentage of the people here won't take advantage of both platforms.