PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3 etc on 1.83 Macbook?

Scarlet Fever
May 22, 2006, 03:52 AM
Would i have any chance of running Doom 3 or a similar game acceptably on a 1.83GHz MacBook with 1.2/2GB or RAM? What games would run well on it?

How would it run on a 1.83 MacBook Pro with 1.5GB RAM?

MacRumorUser
May 22, 2006, 04:02 AM
Would i have any chance of running Doom 3 or a similar game acceptably on a 1.83GHz MacBookwith 1.2/2GB or RAM? What games would run well on it?

Quake 4 will run nicer because it has a 2 processor patch and is better optimised generally than Doom 3.

But your macbook will play most games well (as long at they are universal binary games) and if you use bootcamp, it will play the same games a little better in the windows environment. Games are optimised for Direct X and then poorly ported to Mac OSX.

The macbook is up to the task anyway regardless.

Voidness
May 22, 2006, 04:30 AM
Would i have any chance of running Doom 3 or a similar game acceptably on a 1.83GHz MacBookwith 1.2/2GB or RAM? What games would run well on it?

I don't think it's a very good idea to run Doom 3 on a Macbook, as the integrated graphics chip is not designed to run such games. However, if you really want to give it a try, it's better to have a matched pair of RAM modules (for example, two 512MB modules for a total of 1GB, or two 1GB modules for a total of 2GB). This configuration gives a good performance boost in some games.

The Macbook Pro should be able to run it fine. But as mentioned above, it's better to play games using Boot Camp, since they are generally more optimized in Windows.

MacRumorUser
May 22, 2006, 05:13 AM
Sorry I read the original post wrong - it's a macbook. Well definetly run in bootcamp as the integrated grahpcis have better support in windows (more mature drivers) but dont expect to run anything better than low to medium settings at 800x600 if you want fluid gameplay.

The integrated graphics is not great for games, but it's also not as unworkable as many would have you believe.

But yeah, run in bootcamp for games period with that gfx card.

Scarlet Fever
May 22, 2006, 06:37 PM
But yeah, run in bootcamp for games period with that gfx card.
even something as simple as Halo? :(

MacRumorUser
May 22, 2006, 06:50 PM
Yep. Games are optimised more for direct x than ever where for ppc or osx.
You will see performance gains by running in windows and with integrated every little extra boost helps..