PDA

View Full Version : Spore on OS X?

tektonnic
May 22, 2006, 04:03 AM
Spore looks like the biggest game of next year, but will it make it to OS X? what do you think?

gekko513
May 22, 2006, 04:10 AM
I hope so, but I haven't heard anything that would suggest it.

MacRumorUser
May 22, 2006, 04:14 AM
Spore looks like the biggest game of next year, but will it make it to OS X? what do you think?

Probably at some point. More than likely after the 2nd expansion disc has been released for the pc version ;) :D

I'll buy if for PC and run through bootcamp.

tektonnic
May 22, 2006, 04:20 AM
Probably at some point. More than likely after the 2nd expansion disc has been released for the pc version

I'll buy if for PC and run through bootcamp.

Oh yeh, I keep forgetting there is no reason for games to be made for OS X anymore...guess us Power PC users will just fade into dust...:(

gekko513
May 22, 2006, 04:39 AM
Oh yeh, I keep forgetting there is no reason for games to be made for OS X anymore...guess us Power PC users will just fade into dust...:(
I have an Intel Mac, and if I hear news that Spore will be ported to Mac OS X, I will wait for it instead of buying a Windows license. There're still reason for porting games to OS X. Having to boot Windows and having to buy a Windows license isn't very convenient.

MacRumorUser
May 22, 2006, 04:59 AM
I have an Intel Mac, and if I hear news that Spore will be ported to Mac OS X, I will wait for it instead of buying a Windows license. There're still reason for porting games to OS X. Having to boot Windows and having to buy a Windows license isn't very convenient.

But bu the time Spore comes out Leopard 10.5 will be with us and their may be a more elegant way of booting to windows - virulization etc.....

benpatient
May 22, 2006, 02:19 PM
i don't think there is a good expansion pack situation with a game like Spore. What could the expansion include that isn't in the game now? More pre-made items? You can just go steal them from another planet...

DavidLeblond
May 22, 2006, 02:41 PM
i don't think there is a good expansion pack situation with a game like Spore. What could the expansion include that isn't in the game now? More pre-made items? You can just go steal them from another planet...

Oh they'll find a way, trust me.

Pancake
May 22, 2006, 02:52 PM

An entire new explorable area outside the Universe, or possibly the Matrix.

MacRumorUser
May 22, 2006, 03:29 PM
An entire new explorable area outside the Universe, or possibly the Matrix.

This is Maxis and published by E.A. trust me Expansion pack hell.... Maybe that will be one... :D

fatties
May 22, 2006, 04:11 PM
this sounds like a really stupid question since spore is not coming out for ages (apparently it was game of the year at e3 last year or something already?) but do you think spore (osx or otherwise) will run on a macbook? i still don't understand this intergrated graphics thingy... so i don't understand how '3-d' things have to be...

while i am at it, do you think civ IV will be ok too?

benpatient
May 23, 2006, 01:49 PM
not sure about civ 4, but Spore looks pretty graphically intensive.

and processor intensive. The CoreDuo should be fine, but the integrated graphics are already a year behind the low-mid range curve. The MB or at least the MBP needed dedicated VRAM and something in the Go6x00 series or ATI equivalent. Especially when 10.4+ use the graphics card's 3D processing to render EVERYTHING we are seeing on screen.

I'm sure Spore will use some form of the tiering technology used in Katamari, in reverse, to help cope with a scale that goes from inter-cellular to intra-stellar. Millions of stars and millions of planets and moons...each a potential location for life...

The funny thing about the expansions is that Maxis didn't do them until "the sims."

The only non-"sims" Maxis game with expansions is SC4, and the expansion was in truth just a patch to fix a game that didn't play properly without the features included in Rush Hour. Not really an expansion pack in the traditional sense. Which is why I'm glad I waited for the deluxe version before I bought it. For 25 bucks. Ha.

Sim City, SC2000, SC3000, SimEarth, SimAnt, SimTower, SimIsle, SimFarm. All of them were stand-alones.

I think Spore will get it's "expansion" money for EA through this weird card-based game they are planning with cell phones and all of that. I predict that there won't be a series of expansions like the Sims has...

JDOG_
May 23, 2006, 01:55 PM
I think Spore will get it's "expansion" money for EA through this weird card-based game they are planning with cell phones and all of that. I predict that there won't be a series of expansions like the Sims has...

I disagree. Any chance to make more money in the world of game publishing will be taken. Look at what has happened to console gaming with the 360 and it's marketplace, and the PC side with the sims games, WoW, guild wars and Elder Scrolls 4.

Micropayments, expansion packs and "special editions" are here to stay.