Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hui__lim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2002
Is it possible turn divx movies onto a dvd and watch the dvd on a dvd machine? If so, do i need any special programs or can i burn it without any additional software?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: divx and dvds

Originally posted by hui__lim
Is it possible turn divx movies onto a dvd and watch the dvd on a dvd machine? If so, do i need any special programs or can i burn it without any additional software?
Other than the fact that half of the Divx material is pirated stuff. (Yeah, I know about some stuff that is legal. Like fansub anime.)

Anyway... all you need is the divx codec. You may need to run the .avi file through the "Divx Validator" that comes with the codec.

Then if iMovie or iDVD won't import it directly, I believe you can convert it to DV format using Quicktime Pro ($30 license)

And of course you do need a superdrive for the above *chuckle*

hui__lim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2002
Actually was rather more of thinking of turning the div x .avi files into like a dvd format so i can burn it straight and burn the dvd and watch it on my dvd player. Any help would be most appreciated.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
if you want an easy solution, you are out of luck. Any conversion of a feature-length movie is going to take a LOT of time. You can't burn it straight to dvd. You will need to use a codec and QT pro to export it as somthing iMovie/iDVD will read. (DV would probably be easiest) then pray that the audio is still synced up. Import it say to idvd and add some kind of menu and burn. but idvd maxes out at 90 minutes, or 4.7 gigs (the media's size), whichever comes first. Getting a Divx player will be your best bet, or an ibook or powerbook with tv-out on them.
Good Luck!

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
well, its pretty much very hard to do, i tried (and i have QT Pro) but it hasnt worked at all, even final cut pro has issues with taking it in (audio gets screwed up). The syncing of the audio is a big problem but divx doctor usually sorts out most avi problem files.

As he said, a laptop is probably your best alternative.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.