PDA

View Full Version : PSP-time

Dagless
May 22, 2006, 12:20 PM
I'm at a stage now where I have justified reasons for buying a PSP. finally! Now. I have enough for any PSP but I want the cheapest, you know how it goes. I care not for any free games/films or a big memory card (buying my own separate). Unless of course the free game is Street Fighter Alpha 3 or GTA:LCS. I would prefer an old Firmware too, something to play my backed up GB games on :) I don't want the white one either, unless it hides fingerprints better?

Where's a good place to buy from?

Uk only too! any MR guy/gal flogging them on eBay will certainly get a good looking over :cool: i trust 2nd hand from you guys. I think. ;) Though preferably a real shop would be better. I don't want any dead pixels, NONE!

iKwick7
May 22, 2006, 12:37 PM
I don't know about any UK stores, but I am pretty sure that, from what I have heard, the white psp hides fingerprints A LOT better. As for playing GB games and whatnot, without getting into anything here, I will say that firmware 2.6 allows you to install homebrew (using GTA: LCS, which apparently you want anyway). I would also strongly, strongly recommend picking up an Invisibleshield for your PSP. I put one of those on (and on my iPod too)- it covers the entire screen and hides fingerprints a hell of a lot better than without it.

http://www.shieldzone.com/form/index.html?preadd=action&key=SONPSPTOP

2nyRiggz
May 22, 2006, 12:41 PM
Logitech playgear is the best with your PSP....there are flash games that work with the PSP(playing pacman right now)....is there EB games in the U.K? don't they have 2nd hand PSPs?

Remember no 2.70 no downloading demos.....i think:)

Bless

MacRumorUser
May 22, 2006, 01:19 PM
I'm still on 1.5 firmware. Worth upgrading you think? I know it runs homebrew and stuff, just can never be bothered to do so. Though I do have a snes emulator on a mem card I think...

Dagless
May 22, 2006, 02:12 PM
I don't know about any UK stores, but I am pretty sure that, from what I have heard, the white psp hides fingerprints A LOT better. As for playing GB games and whatnot, without getting into anything here, I will say that firmware 2.6 allows you to install homebrew (using GTA: LCS, which apparently you want anyway). I would also strongly, strongly recommend picking up an Invisibleshield for your PSP. I put one of those on (and on my iPod too)- it covers the entire screen and hides fingerprints a hell of a lot better than without it.

http://www.shieldzone.com/form/index.html?preadd=action&key=SONPSPTOP

So to run Homebrew on a 2.0+ system I need GTA:LCS? Looks like that'll be my game then. Homebrew is just too big for me to cut out and makes it worth the 150 I'll end up paying tomorrow.
Can I backup (or download backups) of my PSP games to run from the memory stick? Battery life is a huge issue for me and I'll try any battery extension trick.

crachoar
May 22, 2006, 02:13 PM
I don't want any dead pixels, NONE!

Not gonna happen (if you count other screen defects as well). I went through nineteen and even offered to pay double for a 'perfect PSP' with zero defects.

Never saw it...

Good luck though.

Dagless
May 22, 2006, 03:39 PM
Just to inform y'awl I've purchased a 2gb CoreMemoryProDuo thingy online. Going into town tomorrow to eye up the competition. Should I go for a well-kept 2nd hand model or splash out on Gamestations white PSP+game+film for 160? too many choices :) I know i'll pick the right one. The PSP's turning point feels here now. it's finally getting what I wanted, good games.
plus you can never have enough handhelds! mwhahaha.

Black DS Lite is next.

Dagless
May 22, 2006, 03:57 PM
Utter final question now!

I have decided to get the White PSP. 160 with a 32mb card (plus 2gb coming), game and film is a good deal no? Only problem is the Firmware. CAN I track back from the White's firmware to 1.5?

MacRumorUser
May 22, 2006, 04:17 PM
Utter final question now!

I have decided to get the White PSP. 160 with a 32mb card (plus 2gb coming), game and film is a good deal no? Only problem is the Firmware. CAN I track back from the White's firmware to 1.5?

Only from v.2 i think. After that your buggered.

Haoshiro
May 22, 2006, 06:17 PM
Might I ask what pushed you over the edge for a PSP? Was it Lumines 2? ;)

I've heard UMD movies are starting to get pulled.... of course, maybe that means you'll be able to get those already released for cheaper! ;)

Dagless
May 22, 2006, 06:22 PM
Might I ask what pushed you over the edge for a PSP? Was it Lumines 2? ;)

I've heard UMD movies are starting to get pulled.... of course, maybe that means you'll be able to get those already released for cheaper! ;)

EXACTLY! That was one of the bigger reasons. here goes.

1) Emulation. I've ripped a lot of my old games so they're being sealed up and put away now.
2) Cheaper UMD films. No-one buys? Drop price. The Office was 9.99 in Gamestation. instead of the stupid 17.99 they were first launched at.
3) Good games are appearing. Monster Hunter Freedom anyone? Street Fighter Alpha 3, again!
4) They will not be dropping past the 150 mark ANY time soon. it's now or wait until the price drop rumours of "they'll be 10 cheaper in 12 months!" start cropping up.
5) found out I like racing sims. *shrugs* I didn't see that coming either!

Haoshiro
May 22, 2006, 06:46 PM
The thing that worries me is Sony continues to try to lock out homebrew... and they are releasing firmware updates that shut that out and then requiring the updates to run new games...

Dagless
May 22, 2006, 07:24 PM
The thing that worries me is Sony continues to try to lock out homebrew... and they are releasing firmware updates that shut that out and then requiring the updates to run new games...

Aye, this makes me feel like PSP and PS3 are from different companies. Why are they allowing homebrew and Linux-loving on the PS3 and locking out PSP homebrew? utter madness.

Hackers always catch up though. even the "unhackable" 360 is getting the hack treatment.

Haoshiro
May 22, 2006, 07:37 PM
Aye, this makes me feel like PSP and PS3 are from different companies. Why are they allowing homebrew and Linux-loving on the PS3 and locking out PSP homebrew? utter madness.

Hackers always catch up though. even the "unhackable" 360 is getting the hack treatment.

Well see, that's why I don't think they actually *are* going to allow homebrew on PS3! :)

2nyRiggz
May 22, 2006, 07:48 PM
I hate how they try to lock out homebrew(even though i dont use em)..its only because they want you to buy the PS1 games.....oh well.

Bless

Dagless
May 22, 2006, 08:02 PM
Monkstar! I just bought one! Please say I did good :o

Japanese 1.5 firmware (Sharp screen, supposed to be good they say)
Lumines
64mb card
UK power charger

170 inc. next day delivery.

Smashing? I wanted 1.5 for the uber easy homebrew. Apparently you can run ghost-firmwares that trick games that were made for 2.0+. w00t!

2nyRiggz
May 22, 2006, 08:04 PM
^luminies will take your life over...your girl will have to hide that from you...the music, lights are so addictive.....when you reach to "how can the music heal my soul" you'll feel it.

Good move man...

Bless

MacRumorUser
May 23, 2006, 01:43 AM
Monkstar! I just bought one! Please say I did good :o

Japanese 1.5 firmware (Sharp screen, supposed to be good they say)
Lumines
64mb card
UK power charger

170 inc. next day delivery.

Smashing? I wanted 1.5 for the uber easy homebrew. Apparently you can run ghost-firmwares that trick games that were made for 2.0+. w00t!

Yep I have to use one to boot Liberty City Stories...

DeSnousa
May 23, 2006, 05:12 AM
Did not want to start a new thread and had to brag :D I just got a new Gameboy Micro for AUS$78 or 33 pounds, one of my best purchases this year. On top of that I also have picked up 4 relatively new release GBA games as follows: Need for speed most wanted, v-rally 3, king kong and scooby doo. I know not the best games but at AUS$45 I could not resist. That 19 pounds ;)

I can't wait till the micro gets delivered. Gaming every where will no doubt became a new meaning to me with this system. I love the bright screen and the the image is so sharp. Like if its high definition for GBA. Oh btw its a red micro :D

Dagless
May 23, 2006, 06:01 AM
The Micro is beautiful. It's such an easy system to play, just so light and small. it's top

GFLPraxis
May 23, 2006, 10:35 AM
1) Emulation. I've ripped a lot of my old games so they're being sealed up and put away now.

What did you use to rip your old games other than GBA games (which I'm already ripping)? I'm interested in doing the same thing

Dagless
May 23, 2006, 11:16 AM
No idea, they're being dumped buy a guy from a computer shop. He said years ago that he had GB and NES dumping equipment (along with a VR setup!). So he's doing that. I trust he doesn't leave the country with my immaculate Mario Bros/Duck Hunt and Mario Bros 3 carts.

What about video ripping? I'm guessing that QT Pro can convert them to the needed file format, but what format do they need to be in?

2nyRiggz
May 23, 2006, 01:52 PM
Yea i want to know as well...i might as get into it.

Bless

2nyRiggz
May 23, 2006, 01:54 PM
I'm still on 1.5 firmware. Worth upgrading you think? I know it runs homebrew and stuff, just can never be bothered to do so. Though I do have a snes emulator on a mem card I think...

I think 7.0 is nice....got a lot more things than 1.5....maybe its worth a sot...i got 7.0 just so i can download demos...LOCO ROCO!

Bless

MacRumorUser
May 23, 2006, 02:43 PM
Just put my PSP on charge, (battery flat as a pancake) soon as it's done I'm gonna update the firmware.

Homebrew - not too bothered about and piracy doesnt interest me, but that demo of Locco does....

2nyRiggz
May 23, 2006, 02:58 PM
Just put my PSP on charge, (battery flat as a pancake) soon as it's done I'm gonna update the firmware.

Homebrew - not too bothered about and piracy doesnt interest me, but that demo of Locco does....

They should really get on the ball with this one.....its really good to know we can download demos......more demos are needed.....i never really messed around with the homebrew stuff only the flash games i got into.

Bless

Dagless
May 23, 2006, 05:17 PM
See homebrew is where it's at for me. I'll buy a few commercial games but I'm mostly after the emulation side. seeing my GB's battery pack is officially dead after a decade, and it EATS through AA's.

I'm so looking forward to this :) just got a confirmation that he's gonna send it tomorrow with next-day delivery! my 2gb stick will be here soon too. I'm trying to render some vids to test it out with. if this stick is good I'll buy 2 more, only 40 each.

Mike Teezie
May 23, 2006, 07:03 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Can you guys bring me up to speed on the PSP homebrew scene? How hard is it to take advantage of this kind of thing?

Dagless
May 23, 2006, 07:11 PM
Well you NEED to have a firmware either 2.0 or below. You need to get to 1.5. you can downgrade from 2.0, but any higher and you're stuck there. until someone hacks you out of course. You can use *some* homebrew on 2.01+ using a GTA exploit. But 1.5 is the full freedom.

what you can do is;
-play backup games (... back up ;) ) off the memory card
-roms, emulators galore
-I think there are DivX players too

http://psp-hacks.com has all the apps and stuff.

hahah I really swotted up over the past few days.

Mike Teezie
May 23, 2006, 07:13 PM
Thanks jimi, I'll check out that link.

Well, maybe the poor thing is worth buying after all.

2nyRiggz
May 23, 2006, 07:14 PM
Well homebrew can be run all the way up to 6.0 now(so i heard)......they have portals you can use that do not effect anything on your system....maybe i should start the homebrew thing.....but the flash games are soo good.

Soon i hope sony will just leave it open so we dont have to hack things.

PSP has a bright future.

Bless

Dagless
May 23, 2006, 07:27 PM
It's sort of limited using the portals/GTA leak though. If you want to play backup games you really NEED 1.5. which are going for a fair bit on eBay. I got one (2nd hand black PSP, game, 64mb card, 1.5) for 170 where I could have bought a brand new white PSP, game and UMD film (though with 32mb card) for the same price.

1.5 is the only FW that lets you run kernal-level apps too. I haven't read too much into this but people say that games (homebrew, emulators) run a lot faster with this.
if you were to get one then try for a 1.5. read some more about the PSP's homebrew world and decide if you want to upgrade to 2.6. which lets you download game demos... which you could just download off a Bittorrent site anyways.

Dagless
May 24, 2006, 05:49 AM
2gb stick arrived. I was getting worried too. It was too good to be true and from eBay. Yet it's plugged into my PB now and it recognises 1.91gb of space. Amazing! Suppose it's cheap because the box is chinese.

gonna order me at least 2 more of these :D 30 each!

Dagless
May 25, 2006, 06:29 AM
Well, here it is. I was expecting to be more excited about it, oh well. It's good. been testing some homebrew and it's good.
Suppose this is somewhat tainted by getting a rejection letter from a university :o Bah, who needs them. I just needed to finish a 3rd year for my Ba.

Least I got Lumines... right?

MacRumorUser
May 25, 2006, 06:48 AM
Ar that sucks! You'll have to apply elsewhere.

I wouldnt really consider a psp a trade off though :o

I'm sure youll be fine, you've got another year to do yet so DAZZLE them :)

2nyRiggz
May 25, 2006, 09:19 AM
Sorry to hear about uni man.....but yea lumines is sweet....hours of forgetting about uni fun:o

I'm jamming tokobots right now...oh man this game is nice....wished it had online play

Bless

thequicksilver
May 25, 2006, 11:28 AM
2gb stick arrived. I was getting worried too. It was too good to be true and from eBay. Yet it's plugged into my PB now and it recognises 1.91gb of space. Amazing! Suppose it's cheap because the box is chinese.

Hey, can you let me know which Ebay seller you got the card from please?

Tough luck on the uni, but meh, it's their loss, right? ;)

shadowmoses
May 25, 2006, 01:20 PM

Beware of eBay Memory Sticks guide: how to tell a fake (http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/324446)

ShadoW

Dagless
May 25, 2006, 08:10 PM
I read that, and mine is real :) He's not selling any more. which is a crying shame because I wanted at least 2 more to be sorted forever. 6gb is enough for anyone ;)

As for the uni thing. Meh. it's just one course out of 4, and the last course I can just walk into. My whole uni thing is confusing I'll explain someday! today is not the day.

Anywho!!!! PSP. I love it. I think. My girlfriend was having a carbonara dish earlier and she said she didn't know whether she liked it or hated it. I said "well you either do or you don't!", being slightly confused to her statement. But now I understand. I like the PSP. I have 4 games thus far and they're all semi-enjoyable. nothing is KEEPING me in but they are very good pick up and play games. Just like the PS1/2 really. though I'm hoping some RPG's will keep me locked in for a while.
Emulation is wonderful. Portable Sonic 2 is my dream come true.
Speakers are so quiet and low quality though. probably too used to my ROKR at the moment.
I thought the graphics would have been better though. all these people talking about how bad DS graphics are. the only thing I'm seeing different is higher polygons and texture blurring. no AA.
Analogue nub=hell.

Overall it's a good system. I knew I wouldn't have been bowled over by it. it's more like a slow engulfing wave.

i'm at Carolines house now. My PSP is here and has been played all day. I wish I brought my DS too :(

2nyRiggz
May 25, 2006, 08:20 PM
^The PSP rules man.....I think a RPG game just came out for the PSP(i think) but they do have some nice ones out there(so i heard)

What four games do u have now except lumines?.....get socom so i can destroy you in battle:)

Bless

Dagless
May 26, 2006, 07:13 AM
Lumines - confused at that
Ridge Racer - was a lot of fun until...
Burnout legends - love it. absolutely love it.
Wipeout - maybe I was expecting too much F-Zero. don't like the controls

going out today so I aim to pick up

Street Fighter Alpha 3 - THE ULTIMATE game I want. its ST. Which could possibly be better than Zelda and Metroid to me.
Monster Hunter Freedom - keep hearing its alright.

you'll have to wait on the Socom one. not a fan of them kind of FPS games :) but we'll see. the high ratings are hinting at its goodness.

Haoshiro
May 26, 2006, 08:06 AM
jimmi, since your an SF fan... do you have interest in the Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting release coming to XBLA? The online play and achievements are things I would think ANY SF fan would be All Over.

Heck, I probably know a few people that would almost buy a 360 just for that alone... online competition with a classic arcade fighter... mmm.

For me, only Samurai Showdown (all versions) would have that effect on me... but would be nice to have some Last Blade too.

thequicksilver
May 26, 2006, 09:01 AM
Wipeout - maybe I was expecting too much F-Zero. don't like the controls

:confused: What on earth is there not to like? It's an utterly inspired game, it's the best Wipeout game since 2097. I'm still working through all the Venom tournaments - once it gets faster I might end up revising that in Pure's favour. Brilliant game.

Download all the extra ships and stuff, there's bound to be a few that you like the feel of. If it's the analogue stick you don't like, just hold the PSP a bit differently. Grip it loosely, not tightly, so your thumb is in its natural diagonal upwards position on the analogue thingy, not horizontal.

Dagless
May 26, 2006, 04:20 PM
I'm slowly getting into Wipeout. downloaded a load of updates *why oh why can there not be a "download all" option!* and they're pretty mad. I'm getting there. like I said though, I was expecting another F-Zero :o godly easy to control, much faster, no weapons. My first Wipeout game too.

Haoshiro I'm not all over the SF2 Xbox game. Why? It's only SF2. 3 has more of everything and then some. No interest in online SF as well. it's very much a local game of shouting and excitement. no interest in achievements too. personal ones yes, but not bragging points.
If they released a version for the 360 then I might be a little happy. but I would already own it for the PSP :o

Anywho! I got into the shop in town but it was shutting. didn't even get to glimpse over the PSP games. *sigh*. I know that SF3, GTA and Tales of Eternia will glue me to the system.

Xander
May 26, 2006, 05:35 PM
I have many consoles... And I can honestly say, the PSP is a failure... Most of the games on it are the sort you would find at an arcade or ripoff versions of good games (Ie: GTA3 and GTA Liberty City Stories)... Also the connection is terrible.

2nyRiggz
May 26, 2006, 07:11 PM
^:confused: Don't seem that way to me...seems like it doing good for itself and STILL growing.
I never had a connection problem...EVER with my PSP....this is the first i'm hearing about it.

Bless

Dagless
May 27, 2006, 10:43 AM
I can see the PSP could be a failure if you have a PS2. but I don't! it's alright though. hoping to get GTA and SFA3 tomorrow. i keep saying that :o but definitely tomorrow this time! just gotta finish off my video project (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=202083)...

Dagless
May 28, 2006, 06:05 AM
Ok Street Fighter is surprisingly mediocre. I was pretty shocked that it isn't pure widescreen, but a stretched image. It's extremely difficult to control, unlike the Dreamcast and Arcade counterparts. Is there anything to unlock? I'm seeing many characters and all the modes there. The GBA version had tons to unlock, keeping the player coming back for more. PSP not so.

GTA later today. hope it can knock SFA3 down. if I can be torn away from Mario DS and Casltevania Double Pack :)

GonzoRob
May 28, 2006, 06:36 AM
Jimmi,

sorry to hear about uni mate, it sucks. I got rejected from the uni i wanted to go to, in the end I got in though clearing (hard-learnt tip: you cant study in a pub)

As for the PSP: I'm totally torn by it. On one hand, the 1.50 firmware and homebrew is pretty sweet. However, I never bought an Atari Lynx.. and for the same reasons (too big, too little battery) I probably wont get a PSP

if they made it smaller, i would love it (but then, no homebrew :( )

if you ported Satan Sam, i'd certainly be tempted ;) !

take it easy

Rob

MacRumorUser
May 28, 2006, 07:58 AM
Hated burnout legends on the psp, you have to stare so intensily at the screen to see if theres a corner coming up or traffic it gave me a headache...

The simpler the games the better, loco rocco demo is a lot of fun.

dotdotdot
May 28, 2006, 09:40 AM
The PSP is awesome, though it is true: no game is really locking you in and keeping you playing.

But I bought MLB 06: The Show for it, and as a baseball fan, that is an AMAZING game. If you like baseball sims at all, buy it.

I can literally play it for hours. Season mode is awesome.

Dagless
May 28, 2006, 10:37 AM
Hated burnout legends on the psp, you have to stare so intensily at the screen to see if theres a corner coming up or traffic it gave me a headache...

haha yup! I've found myself squinting and looking out for any sign of oncoming traffic. but the music ingame is terrible. it's nigh on TERRIBLE. painful to my ears. Dare I say... I think I miss the DJ from Burnout 3 (I think he's in). and the overall presentation could be sooo much better. The lackluster "new car" sequence is horrendous. I could have designed a better scene in infant school.

Still it's my fave racer yet. all succumb to F-Zero in my little opinion :o

2nyRiggz
May 28, 2006, 11:44 AM

I told you man......i can't stop playing this demo......it takes up so much of my time.

Bless

Haoshiro
May 28, 2006, 11:51 AM
I told you man......i can't stop playing this demo......it takes up so much of my time.

Does nobody else think LocoRoco is a major ripoff from Gish?

2nyRiggz
May 28, 2006, 12:03 PM
^I played that game before and they are alike. I don't think its a rip off though. The music in Loco is awesome.....got the little blob things singing the music...its classic.

Isn't there another game like Gish as well?

Bless

Dagless
May 29, 2006, 12:15 PM
I've come to a decision. I'm selling it. :o Nothing is keeping me here. I paid 250 in total for a great system that is let down by shoddy games. GTA really isn't as good as the Xbox big boys, STA3 is a let down. I even got some Tony Hawk game that is a huge failure as a game. No killer RPG (what I think Sony had over everyone else with the PS1 and 2) is a real bad point too.

I should have saved this money for a Wii or 360 or something.

I was so excited about this too. probably too hyped. Maybe they'll see a price drop when the real games start coming out. I'd love to have one. but this a 250 paper weight :( I'm so so sorry.

Haoshiro
May 29, 2006, 12:27 PM
I've come to a decision. I'm selling it. :o Nothing is keeping me here. I paid 250 in total for a great system that is let down by shoddy games. GTA really isn't as good as the Xbox big boys, STA3 is a let down. I even got some Tony Hawk game that is a huge failure as a game. No killer RPG (what I think Sony had over everyone else with the PS1 and 2) is a real bad point too.

I was so excited about this too. probably too hyped. Maybe they'll see a price drop when the real games start coming out. I'd love to have one. but this a 250 paper weight :( I'm so so sorry.

Wow, already? Are you serious? What happened to all those reasons used to justify the purchase??

Dagless
May 29, 2006, 01:00 PM
Wow, already? Are you serious? What happened to all those reasons used to justify the purchase??

They flew out the window. the games I thought I would love, the biggest reason of them all, just weren't that good. Unless... are there some epic RPG's coming out? thats what I'm after now.

Moshiiii
May 29, 2006, 03:01 PM
Jimmi, good choice.
I'm selling my friends PSP for him and I've had it in my posession for a few days, I can see why I sold mine.

DeSnousa
May 29, 2006, 05:47 PM

At least you have version 1.5 which goes for a lot on eBay. All is not lost :) I was thinking how you wanted to play your old collection on the PSP, would it not be cool if the Nintendo download service would transmit the games over to the DS as well, to play anywhere, that would be cool :cool:

MisterEd
May 29, 2006, 05:59 PM
Get a DS!! the games available are simply awesome, and with the new zelda on the way you'll be sucked in for days on end!

MacRumorUser
May 29, 2006, 06:10 PM
Get a DS!! the games available are simply awesome, and with the new zelda on the way you'll be sucked in for days on end!

Trust us you dont need to tell jimmi to get a ds :D

shortyjj
May 29, 2006, 06:12 PM
I've come to a decision. I'm selling it. :o Nothing is keeping me here. I paid 250 in total for a great system that is let down by shoddy games.

Funny, I just did the exact same thing with the 360 I got on Friday - was underwhelmed, and just hope to hold for a few weeks before the DS Lite arrives.

Moshiiii
May 29, 2006, 06:23 PM
One week, six days for DS.

GFLPraxis
May 29, 2006, 06:35 PM

He's had one since it came out :p

Dagless
May 29, 2006, 06:45 PM
He's had one since it came out :p

I think I did import it when it came out in the US, near enough to the launch. I'm really wanting it to DIE so I have a justified reason to buy a Lite. I held one a few days ago in town. Wowzers :) It was pretty smart! was bigger than I thought but was so comfy.

Yea I'm thinking I can actually make a profit here too. I paid 170 for the DS, 30 for the 2gb memory card. I could probably sell it for 210, if not more. bidding starts at 200. or will. soon as I remember how to use eBay :o frankly I'd be happy if I broke even.

I'm just so sorry. I would have loved to love the PSP. It's so beautiful, so... something.
I was hugely let down by the screen though. how can people praise it till the cows come home with such a low response time? Anything 2D was a pain to use.

2nyRiggz
May 29, 2006, 08:36 PM
Funny, I just did the exact same thing with the 360 I got on Friday - was underwhelmed, and just hope to hold for a few weeks before the DS Lite arrives.

Wow underwhelmed.....what the hell was your expectations....expected to touch, smell and feel the game:confused: ...dude seriously the 360 just came out and they haven't even unleased its power yet...thats crazy...talking loco here.

PSP is something great....the games might not be there yet but i would not give up on it just yet AND there are games out there that is top notch...well i guess not to your liking anyway.

Bless

MacRumorUser
May 30, 2006, 03:42 AM
Wow underwhelmed.....what the hell was your expectations....expected to touch, smell and feel the game:confused: ...dude seriously the 360 just came out and they haven't even unleased its power yet...thats crazy...talking loco here.

PSP is something great....the games might not be there yet but i would not give up on it just yet AND there are games out there that is top notch...well i guess not to your liking anyway.

Bless

Agreed :)

360 will rock your socks off between now and next year there some Amazing games due out.

PSP while flawed, has great potential, but only when developers treat it as an indvidual machine - creating fantastic new ip's that take full consideration of the machine - like loco rocco, lumines & mercury....

When they just treat it like a stripped down ps2, moving lazy ports over to it; that simply dont work on a portable device, they need shooting.....

Unfortunetly developers seem to think that it HAS to be 3D on the psp because it can, rather than if the concept suits the device...

Moshiiii
May 30, 2006, 06:15 AM
Lets turn this thread into a DS Lite thread, prz!

shadowmoses
May 30, 2006, 01:01 PM
The same thing happened to me when I got my PSP a while ago, there was something about it that drew me to it, but I soon (very soon) got bored of it (very bored) and eBay'd it....Ended up not losing much money of any, if you picked up a good deal you could easily make a profit on it on eBay,

ShadoW

snakelda
May 30, 2006, 02:33 PM
Not gonna happen (if you count other screen defects as well). I went through nineteen and even offered to pay double for a 'perfect PSP' with zero defects.

Never saw it...

Good luck though.
lol,I have that perfect PSP!!Not one dead pixel........haven't had a problem yet

snakelda
May 30, 2006, 02:40 PM
are you selling the games too?and if so,how much?

shortyjj
May 30, 2006, 02:53 PM

In case anybody interested, I'm selling my copies of Oblivion ($45) and Table Tennis ($35)

Dagless
May 30, 2006, 03:37 PM

I've taken the games back, they're under the shop money-back thing so I'm sorted there. I still have Lumines here, but I'm not selling that :)

lol,I have that perfect PSP!!Not one dead pixel........haven't had a problem yet

Me too! It's immaculate. Barring my fingerprints it's in perfect shape. No dead pixels, no nothing. Analogue nub is perfect.
I hear the Japanese ones are more or less perfect.

Is it just my system or does the PSP have a REALLY bad response time?

Haoshiro
May 30, 2006, 03:42 PM
Is it just my system or does the PSP have a REALLY bad response time?

The PSPs I have seen and used definitely had bad response time... I couldn't play long because of it... and didn't want to. Seems like nearly first-gen LCD response time... surely about 20ms (!)

Gamegear anyone? Yikes.

MacRumorUser
May 30, 2006, 05:01 PM
The psp's refresh is considerably slow.

Dagless
May 31, 2006, 06:00 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8290035548

Thar she blows

Haoshiro
May 31, 2006, 07:16 AM
Jimmi, just your thing: PSP mod chip (http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/undiluted-platinum-the-first-psp-mod-chip)

Too little too late...

Dagless
May 31, 2006, 08:06 AM
Jimmi, just your thing: PSP mod chip (http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/undiluted-platinum-the-first-psp-mod-chip)

Too little too late...

oh I read about that last week, sounded very snazzy. if this doesn't get sold I'll probably get one :)

2nyRiggz
May 31, 2006, 01:05 PM
^Poor fella.....i garantee you will feel the whip of it when more great games hit the market...oh well i still got mines and loving it....good luck to you.

Bless

Dagless
May 31, 2006, 05:00 PM
^Poor fella.....i garantee you will feel the whip of it when more great games hit the market...oh well i still got mines and loving it....good luck to you.

Bless

possibly. I might buy a PSP2 or the next version so long as it has a better screen. it was a huge turn off for me, i hadn't seen 2D blur like that since Gameboy days.

Haoshiro
May 31, 2006, 07:27 PM
So what are the standouts for the upcoming games on PSP (http://psp.ign.com/index/release.html)?

- Astonishia Story (RPG)
- Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (RPG)
- Tekken: Dark Resurrection (Fighting)
- Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (RPG)
- LocoRoco (Action)
- Power Stone Collection (Fighting)
- Metal Slug Anthology (Action)
- Tenchu: Time of the Assassins (Stealth Action)
- Silent Hill Origins (Survival Horror)
- Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (Stealth Action)

Now that isn't a bad list and there are a bunch of other games listed that could definitely be good. For my tastes I wouldn't want to place most of them on a portable, especially the PSP with it's bad refresh rate.

Of those I listed the ones I would probably actually buy, and possibly consider getting a PSP for are Astonishia Story, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, LocoRoco, and Tenchu (a fan of the series myself).

For that to happen Sony would have to release a new PSP with a better screen (like that on GBA, GB Micro, or DS Lite) and have a much cheaper price (~$125 max).

Dagless
Jun 1, 2006, 03:43 PM
[another eBay scam]

Dagless
Jun 11, 2006, 04:59 PM
I know it was a whole 11 days ago since the last post but I realised something a little bit sad today.

For the price of a PSP gigapack with 1 game, you're looking at 210
You can buy a DS Fat and a Wii (if they're 150) for 220.

ouch.

OR a DS Fat with 5 games for 210.

2nyRiggz
Jun 11, 2006, 05:06 PM
So what are the standouts for the upcoming games on PSP (http://psp.ign.com/index/release.html)?

- Astonishia Story (RPG)
- Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (RPG)
- Tekken: Dark Resurrection (Fighting)
- Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (RPG)
- LocoRoco (Action)
- Power Stone Collection (Fighting)
- Metal Slug Anthology (Action)
- Tenchu: Time of the Assassins (Stealth Action)
- Silent Hill Origins (Survival Horror)
- Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (Stealth Action)

Now that isn't a bad list and there are a bunch of other games listed that could definitely be good. For my tastes I wouldn't want to place most of them on a portable, especially the PSP with it's bad refresh rate.

Of those I listed the ones I would probably actually buy, and possibly consider getting a PSP for are Astonishia Story, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, LocoRoco, and Tenchu (a fan of the series myself).

For that to happen Sony would have to release a new PSP with a better screen (like that on GBA, GB Micro, or DS Lite) and have a much cheaper price (~$125 max).

Silent Hill Origins.....oh my!:)
Metal Gear Solid: PO......oh yea

Bless

Haoshiro
Jun 12, 2006, 07:49 AM
Silent Hill Origins.....oh my!:)
Metal Gear Solid: PO......oh yea

I'm sure all the PSP fans are hoping those games are actually good.

What I've seen on the PSP has been mediocre renditions of good console games... but the fanfare I hear from PSP owners makes me think that it doesn't matter, they'll sing the praises of these games anyway... because it's the best they have.

Surely comparisons could be drawn to Nintendo fanatics. I guess fanatics are all the same. :)

2nyRiggz
Jun 12, 2006, 12:56 PM
I'm sure all the PSP fans are hoping those games are actually good.

What I've seen on the PSP has been mediocre renditions of good console games... but the fanfare I hear from PSP owners makes me think that it doesn't matter, they'll sing the praises of these games anyway... because it's the best they have.
Surely comparisons could be drawn to Nintendo fanatics. I guess fanatics are all the same. :)

Silent Hill and MGS are my top games...i'm sure i will enjoy them. I enjoy all the games i got for my psp except coded arms:mad: .....

Bless