PDA

View Full Version : The only game I'd want to play on a MB... Halo. Any chance?

mattcube64
May 22, 2006, 09:31 PM
I'm not much of a computer gamer, I have an old PC and whatnot. I prefer console games, and that is where I spend 99% of my gaming time. However, if I were to buy a MB, I'd want something to play. Specifically, Halo. Now, I don't expect it to run amazing or anything, but if it's playable around 20-25 FPS on medium settings, I'd be estatic. Any chance.

I know everyone asks for opinions on different games, but Halo is an older title, but I know is still quite demanding. Any oppinions appreciated.

MacsomJRR
May 22, 2006, 09:50 PM
I'm not much of a computer gamer, I have an old PC and whatnot. I prefer console games, and that is where I spend 99% of my gaming time. However, if I were to buy a MB, I'd want something to play. Specifically, Halo. Now, I don't expect it to run amazing or anything, but if it's playable around 20-25 FPS on medium settings, I'd be estatic. Any chance.

I know everyone asks for opinions on different games, but Halo is an older title, but I know is still quite demanding. Any oppinions appreciated.

I think the MB has a VRAM of 64 megs which should be fine for Halo. I used to play this game on my PB G4 1ghz with 64 megs and it ran OK but not great.

EricNau
May 22, 2006, 09:53 PM
I think the MB has a VRAM of 64 megs which should be fine for Halo. I used to play this game on my PB G4 1ghz with 64 megs and it ran OK but not great.
The MacBook's intel integrated graphics have 64 MB of shared system memory.

dmw007
May 22, 2006, 10:15 PM
You should be able to play Halo okay on the MacBook. I doubt you will get the absolute best performance, but game play should be at least enjoyable.

fblack
May 23, 2006, 01:05 AM
I first started playing halo on my dell inspiron w/integrated graphics--you could play decent frame rates, but you lost alot of detail and get this players didn't have colors. Thats right it wasnt red v.s. blue it was mostly grey on grey!:eek:

Its funny when i think about it now, but you could not tell anyone apart--unless they were shooting at you. Thankfully I moved to a new machine.

So its playable, and since this is a newer intel chip you may not run into the problems I had. Just make sure you got plenty of Ram.

TallShaffer
May 23, 2006, 01:49 AM
I played it on a wintel machine with 1.25 gig ram with 64 shared video. I just lowered all the glossy armor settings and whatnot and it played really smoothly. The graphics weren't stellar, but overall gameplay was great!

I think you should be fine.

jamesi
May 23, 2006, 01:50 AM

you will prolly be able to play it fine on the lowest settings. turn everything down all the way and you should be good

RollTide
May 23, 2006, 10:18 AM
My friend and I were messing around with his new macbook (2 Ghz 1.5 gb ram) and Rise of nations was great even under rosetta, and Halo worked good also But like many said just turn settings down a little bit.

BurtonCCC
May 23, 2006, 07:10 PM
I play Halo on a 12" PB with 1.5GHz G4 and it runs great. Doom 3 actually runs great on my PB. I guess I've got a special machine.

Daniel.

mrgreen4242
May 23, 2006, 10:56 PM
I play Halo on a 12" PB with 1.5GHz G4 and it runs great. Doom 3 actually runs great on my PB. I guess I've got a special machine.

Daniel.

PB had an actual GPU (12" had the 5200Go, if I recall). The MB has integrated Intel graphics, which is pretty much teh suck for gaming.

ReanimationLP
May 24, 2006, 05:39 AM
Master Chief is my homeboy. :D

It should run fine as long as you bump down some of the settings.

Nermal
May 25, 2006, 07:38 PM
Yeah, it shouldn't be too bad, it is 2 1/2 years old now. Once the universal version comes out, it'll be even better :)

AP_piano295
May 25, 2006, 09:17 PM
Yeah, it shouldn't be too bad, it is 2 1/2 years old now. Once the universal version comes out, it'll be even better :)

or he could play on windows.

Scarlet Fever
May 25, 2006, 10:17 PM
i run Halo on:

Pixel + vertex shading on (detail objects)
no FSAA
low lens flare
model detail high

1024x640
30FPS
no specular
no shadows
decals on
particles high
texture quality high

sound quality medium
sound variety medium

all on a baseline MacBook (1.83, 512MB) and it runs acceptably. But i still prefer it on my parent's MBP :p

yoda13
May 25, 2006, 11:22 PM
ahh, some real numbers and settings! Cool, thanks!!;)

fblack
May 26, 2006, 02:01 AM
i run Halo on:

Pixel + vertex shading on (detail objects)
no FSAA
low lens flare
model detail high

1024x640
30FPS
no specular
no shadows
decals on
particles high
texture quality high

sound quality medium
sound variety medium

all on a baseline MacBook (1.83, 512MB) and it runs acceptably. But i still prefer it on my parent's MBP :p

-Thanx for info that's not bad at all, alot more than I was able to get out of my dell laptop. He can probably run Call of Duty and Unitrd Offensive pretty well too.

MacRumorUser
May 26, 2006, 06:54 AM
Just posted my results from playing Sims 2 & RCT3 & Battlefield 2

MacBook with enough ram has no problem playing games. People need to get over themselves and experience it, rather than just assume.