Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lurk

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
Garden Grove, California
Hello everyone, this morning my 5th gen 30gb white video iPod was stolen in school. I would like to know any actions I can take in getting it back. One of my teachers suggested checking eBay and setting something up to try and catch the person because my cell phone was also stolen last week in the same class.

Also, besides that... is there any actions I can take with Apple?

And if I were to buy a completely new iPod... any idea when the next iPods are coming? I am disappointed with the 30GB (Wish I got a 60) since I filled it up. Don't get me wrong though, I do love the iPod.

Thanks in advance!
Lurk

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
You can't call up apple and say my ipod was stolen, fix it. I mean its like buying an orange from a supermarket, someone taking it, and you going back and wanting justice.

To apple, you're just one in millions. Your $300 either way wouldn't hurt them so no, no action with them.

I would be on the look out. Do you have anything engraved on it? Keep your ears open, people talk when they do things like this, it will eventually get out. good chance its someone in that classroom, so be especially skeptical of everyone in there for a while, then start eliminating people from the list you have trust in. The person who did it will be watching for you to discover him/her. They will act different around you for sure, notice people starring at you etc. Don't become paranoid, but seriously, its out there to be discovered I'll bet.

And start watching your stuff a little bit more!

Lurk

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
Garden Grove, California
Yeah, you got a good point there, thats why I doubted they'd do anything.

Yeah, I do know that the person would act different around me for sure. And you have some brilliant ideas there. I was discussing this with a friend and I told him how people usually brag about things like these so I made an offer for him to give me a name and he will be rewarded and if I get it back, he will get another small reward. I also assured him that his identity will be kept anonymous.

If I do find out who it is... what can I do? Legal action? Anything? I mean... I'm not just gonna go up to him and say: "Give it back."

Thanks again.
Lurk

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Lurk said:
Yeah, you got a good point there, thats why I doubted they'd do anything.

Yeah, I do know that the person would act different around me for sure. And you have some brilliant ideas there. I was discussing this with a friend and I told him how people usually brag about things like these so I made an offer for him to give me a name and he will be rewarded and if I get it back, he will get another small reward. I also assured him that his identity will be kept anonymous.

If I do find out who it is... what can I do? Legal action? Anything? I mean... I'm not just gonna go up to him and say: "Give it back."

Thanks again.
Lurk

OK, go to a lawyer to get a used ipod? you'll be paying the lawyer more for that than a $600 mac mini. Bad idea.

If you have proof, you know who it is, then perhaps go to the teacher of the class, as them to help confront the person, but seriously, the person is only going to deny it, and if they don't have it on them, it will be pointless. You'll just look like you 'tattled'. Teachers can't just search random kid's belongings because they want to either. threats aren't the way to go either as you'll probably get laughed at.

If you notice the person has it, I would be more sneeky about it, if he knows you know, you can bet it won't be at school ever. Perhaps get a mutual friend to go to his/her house and get it. Sorry, I don't know where you stand on the pecking order (jock/geek/whatever) to really help here.

After you get it, make nice typed letters and drop them in their lockers saying things like 'hope you enjoyed the ipod while you had it' 'the music on this thing sucks' etc.
just to ruffle some feathers :D

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
yeah only time I have ever got something big return to me after it was stolen was because the guy who had it on him didnt know it was mine and we where just talking about where we put our names to keep it safe. I was using his cal as an example and talking about my hiden spot. Low and be hold my name was there. I kept the cal.

pretty much you going to have to relay on luck and getting them with it out in the open with it and it have to have you name engraved on it. identifing marks are not going to work. but a name engraved in it will.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Sort of sad that the only thing that really works, is to threaten to beat the crap out of the person that did it.

Usually they will keep stealing until somebody actually does beat the crap out of them.

You can always pay a recovery agent in the school, which will resort to the above to get it back.

Lurk

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
Garden Grove, California
Very good points, so I guess I'm helpless in this position.

No engraving, sadly.

Would a list that pretty much perfectly matches the music on the iPod be proof enough? And of course I know my music more than the theft. I highly doubt the thing would even turn up, so I'm not even going to get my hopes up.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Serial number is also another method of proving it is yours.

Of course if you beat the guy up and the serial number doesn't match. :eek:

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Lurk said:
Very good points, so I guess I'm helpless in this position.

No engraving, sadly.

Would a list that pretty much perfectly matches the music on the iPod be proof enough? And of course I know my music more than the theft. I highly doubt the thing would even turn up, so I'm not even going to get my hopes up.

The fact is, the music is probably not on there any more. He/she has either stolen it to sell it, or has put their own music on it.

hikingnclimbing

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2006
Gorham, ME
You said that this happened at school, right? So go to your school administrators. They can keep their ears open and, should you figure out who did it, then you can go to them and they can try to get it back. It could also result in more punishment for the person that did it if the administrators know about it.

Good luck getting it (and your phone) back. It sounds like you'll need it.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
I would abandon any warm and fuzzy notions of finding your iPod. Certainly try to find it as best you can but I would focus more on how you're going to go about purchasing a replacement.

When you get the next one, keep that thing on you at all times. If they broke into your locker(s) to get it switch your lock if you can or speak with an admin at school about changing the lock or locker. As a last resort, leave it at home if you must.

It sounds like storage was an issue on your last iPod. My only suggestion would be to get the one with the most space. I don't have much to offer in the way of iPod rumor speculation.

Hate to hear about your loss. Keep your chin up. :)

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Seasought said:
I would abandon any warm and fuzzy notions of finding your iPod.

If this happen to me, I would find the people who fence products at my school. So you or your friends should know a person who fence and that way you can find your iPod. Buy it back at the lowest price.

DO NOT TRY TO REPORT THEM BEACUSE BY THE TIME THE SCHOOL IS ON YOUR SIDE, THE IPOD WILL BE GONE AND YOU HAVE NO EVIDENCE ON THEM.

iPod sell on average in 48 hours with a wait list of 2-3 weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.