PDA

View Full Version : anybody use grado labs headphones?

susannahyork
May 23, 2006, 02:11 AM
well do ya?

DevilsRejection
May 23, 2006, 03:51 AM
sr80's here

Malcster
May 23, 2006, 03:54 AM
SR80's here too, love em.

aricher
May 23, 2006, 08:45 AM
After trying a friends Grados a few weeks ago I'm thinking of picking some up. They sounded great, were more comfortable than any earbuds I've used and I dig the retro styling.

bruf
May 23, 2006, 08:51 AM
SR60's here. Great buy imo.

crazydreaming
May 23, 2006, 10:20 AM
Don't yet, but plan to as soon as I have the extra $. Awesome headphones for the money.

susannahyork
May 23, 2006, 12:23 PM
I have heard that the SR 80's sound better with a headphone amp? What have you guys found to be true?

mcarnes
May 23, 2006, 01:10 PM
Naw, you're thinking of the RS1. Any phone will sound better with an amp, but why bother with the SR80 since they are so cheap.

I've got the SR80, SR225, SR325 (new gold ones), and RS1. Sound stage goes up as the chambers get bigger. Etc.

Grado amp works good with all of them. Use a line-out cable on the pod, like the one from Nyko. Headphone jack on iPod will colorize the sound.

Carl Spackler
May 23, 2006, 02:16 PM
One more for the chorus...I love my SR-80s. for what it's worth, I've read good things about these, http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx, http://www.headphone.com has as really nice price on them.

.:*Robot Boy*:.
May 23, 2006, 02:42 PM
I love my RS-2's. Unfortunately, I have to use my M-Box as a D/A converter and headphone amplifier. Methinks I should invest in a more appropriate signal chain :o

Subiklim
May 23, 2006, 04:56 PM
They're great, but since I generally use my headphones in public places, they're not practical. They leak too much due to the open air design. The best compromise for me are the Shure E5c's, which are fantastic earphones.

DMPDX
May 23, 2006, 06:16 PM
SR80's here as well. But my dog chewed through the cord about 3 months back :(:(:(:(

Carl Spackler
May 23, 2006, 07:27 PM
They're great, but since I generally use my headphones in public places, they're not practical. They leak too much due to the open air design. The best compromise for me are the Shure E5c's, which are fantastic earphones.

Can you use the words "compromise" and "Shure E5c's" in the same sentence? If that's your compromise, color me jealous. ;)

Subiklim
May 24, 2006, 11:34 AM
Can you use the words "compromise" and "Shure E5c's" in the same sentence? If that's your compromise, color me jealous. ;)

lol! I suppose I should have said 'alternative' instead of 'compromise'. Shure E5c's were quite an expense, but worth it, imho.

Capt Underpants
May 24, 2006, 11:36 AM
I dig my SR-80's :)

WinterMute
May 24, 2006, 01:26 PM
Just bought a pair of Etymotic ER4P's Link (http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4.aspx). They are like the Shure's etc and take a bit of getting used to, but so far are the best sounding earphones I've heard below Stax electrostatics or the Senny Master series.

Bit steep on the price for earbuds, but worth it.

Grado's are good, but not for wandering around in.

Unfortunately I now need to rip my entire AAC collection back to Apple Lossless as I can hear the coding in the AAC/MP3's...:D ;)

tkidBOSTON
May 24, 2006, 02:02 PM
Yeah, I've been looking into Grados as an over-the-ear companion to my Shure E4cs. Can someone point me to which model would be comparable in sound quality (rather than price)? Thanks!

PBGPowerbook
May 24, 2006, 02:33 PM
i have the grado 60s, and i dig the open air design, this way people on the bus know whats banging. oh and of course the sound pisses on the apple buds. can't wait to use them plugged into my next phone

Subiklim
May 24, 2006, 03:47 PM
i have the grado 60s, and i dig the open air design, this way people on the bus know whats banging.

What are you, in middle school? Making excess noise is not only annoying, it's illegal. I hate people one the subway or bus who are noisy. One of the reasons I got noise isolating earphones

sjpetry
May 24, 2006, 05:45 PM
i have the grado 60s, and i dig the open air design, this way people on the bus know whats banging. oh and of course the sound pisses on the apple buds. can't wait to use them plugged into my next phone
Yes, you're breaking the law!:p

PBGPowerbook
May 24, 2006, 10:07 PM
A. no i'm not in middle school.

B. The sound coming out of the grados at normal volume is nothing compared to all the people with closed back headphones listening at maxxxx

C. chill out

EvilBeans
May 26, 2006, 07:18 AM
+1 for the SR-60's with my Karma. Great sound at both ends of the sound spectrum. I sometimes wish I'd gone with the SR-80's, but really can't complain. I highly recommend them.

TrenchMouth
May 29, 2006, 03:44 PM
I have a set of SR-60's. I love Grado's in general. The one major drawback is that I can pick out the weak spots in lower bitrate files more easily when I wear them. So it forces me to encode at higher bitrates. Darn, big ***** problems I have...:rolleyes:

iTwitch
May 29, 2006, 04:02 PM
sr60's - sound great, look meh.

supergod
May 29, 2006, 07:07 PM
I was on the bus the other day listening with my 60s at a fairly appropriate level (about 1/2 to 2/3rds full volume on my iPod) and a woman a few seats away from me motioned me to take off my headphones and then said to me "turn it down, it's too loud". the woman beside me (younger) burst out laughing and said to the older woman "the sound of the engine is far louder than that of the music" and they started arguing at each other. that's the negative of these headphones. the positive is just about everything else. oh, and one more problem: the headphone wires are wrapped in a rubber that is very fragile to twisting. if the chord is twisted around even once or twice while you are listening it will begin to wear and tear very quickly.

EvilBeans
May 29, 2006, 10:00 PM
Good point. These are open-ear headphones, meaning external noises leak in and your music leaks out. No noise cancelling. Just something to keep in mind.

I use mine at work. I've got enough separation between me and the adjacents cubes where I can keep my music at a decent volume without bugging anybody. Personally, I prefer the feel and sound of open-ear phones. I tend to feel a little claustrophobic with the closed-ear cans and can't wear canalphones.

HTH