Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bumfilter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
Hello all,

I'm trying to fix my friends iBook for her and I've tried all I can think of. It's still under warranty so I'm not worried about the hardware side of things but I'd really like to get her files off it, if possible.

Computer will boot until the grey screen with the Apple logo and the spinning pin wheel appears (not the beachball) and will continue spinning, the OS doesn't load.

I tried booting into the install disc, and repaired the disk and also the permissions. A fair lot of errors were found but it claimed it fixed them all. This didn't help. Also reset PRAM, this didn't help. Tried booting into Safe Mode, same thing above happens. Tried booting into target disk mode, it will do this and the firewire logo appears and dances about but it won't show up as a disk on my intel imac, mac mini or powerbook G4 (tried different cables as well, they all work)

Can't really think of anything else to try, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas? If it can't be fixed it can be returned to Apple but I'd like any ideas on how to get the data off it if I can't fix it, even though target disk mode doesn't work and it won't boot.

Thanks if you can help!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It sounds pretty bad, but....

- Try booting off an install DVD (didn't see this on your list, but might have already done it)

- Remove every upgradable item -- anything plugged into ports, the Airport card, and any extra memory. And then try again. It's possible you have a bad component.

Recently someone posted a thread about a Mac that stubbornly refused to boot until it turned out the Airport card was either bad or not seated properly... So you never know! :eek:

Good luck! :)

bumfilter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
Thanks mkrishnan,

The install DVD is what I used to repair the disk and permissions, so it will boot into that without any problem.

I can't take anything like the Airport Express card out as it would most likely void the warranty by me opening it. I tried booting without the battery but that didn't help. Nothing is plugged into it, bar the power cord.

Looks like I'm stuck!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Oh, I'm sorry. *NOW* I see the install disc on your list. :eek:

Erm, okay. So off the install disk, the boot disk verifies filesystem integrity (Repair Disk is clean) and permissions (Repair Permissions completes), but won't boot.

Erm, I think you should still try taking the memory and the airport card out, personally. They're user servicable -- they shouldn't void your warranty. I mean, that is, for the airport card, unless this is one of the last generation iBooks that has integrated Airport by default...that's different. But for all other iBooks, the Airport card is right underneath the keyboard, and it's sort of like a PCMCIA card, and it pops out in moments.

bumfilter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
I'm not entirely sure what model it is, I'm fairly sure it was one of the later models but not all that new, maybe a year so old?

There seems to be a slot for the memory under the keyboard but it could be the Airport card, I'm not sure, I'll have to unscrew the cover. It's default memory, so I don't know how many sticks will be in it.

I'll give it a try though!

Mernak

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Kirkland, WA
The hardware test disk should come with the install disks. That will be easier than actually taking apart the laptop to determine what is wrong.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
If you have a Mac running Panther try using this program to make a bootable CD.

Booting off of the CD is slow, like takes a half hour even on a fast system. However, once booted you have a fully functional OS so you can back up data, browse files, modify the drive, run diagnostics ect.

Another option is to try booting the iBook off of a firewire hard drive, possibly even one of your other computers that is in target disk mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.