PDA

View Full Version : Zelda: Twilight Princess get's upgraded

GFLPraxis
May 23, 2006, 10:36 AM
http://www.nintendoplayers.com/article.php?articleID=301
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/BigGoronSword/One%20Shots/beforeandafter.jpg

Woah.

And this is the GameCube version. Check out the trailer.
http://cubemovies.ign.com/cube/video/article/706/706411/GCN_Zelda_1_qtlow.mov

henrybourne
May 23, 2006, 10:45 AM
That is tres sexual. Having that and the Wii the second they are released!

BlizzardBomb
May 23, 2006, 10:53 AM
Don't you hate it when they tease us like this :o

srobert
May 23, 2006, 11:04 AM
Very nice. Looks like a very polished game. I only wih they had used orchestrated music. It sounds a little too midi ^_^

And this is the GameCube version…

Is there supposed to be a difference between the Gamecube's and Wii's graphics for this game?

Dagless
May 23, 2006, 11:04 AM
On a G3 system released in 2001 too.

Utterly amazing. Whats also good is that this will have next to no loading times too. Gotta love Nintendo. Twilight Princess is the only game to knock off OoT as the best game of all time™
I'd love to know how they're squeezing each drop of the GC's power.

GFLPraxis
May 23, 2006, 11:05 AM
Very nice. Looks like a very polished game. I only wih they had used orchestrated music. It sounds a little too midi ^_^

According to Nintendo Power, the game is entirely orchestrated. I have an mp3 track from Twilight Princess, which I've burned to a CD and played in surround sound in my car. Wow. It's nice :)

srobert
May 23, 2006, 11:09 AM
According to Nintendo Power, the game is entirely orchestrated. I have an mp3 track from Twilight Princess, which I've burned to a CD and played in surround sound in my car. Wow. It's nice :)

Very good to hear that the final version will sport orchestrated music. I find that video games are a good source of excellent classical music ^_^ Too bad the soundtracks ore so expensive to import. I would gladly pay for a "collectors' edition" of Twilight Princess if it included the soundtrack's CD.

Dagless
May 23, 2006, 11:13 AM
Sorry, this is my key word since E3. I've mentioned this to a few people but heres the forum bit;

Watch the trailer. The Gamecube version has bloom lighting. Fancy that! How they got that in there is pretty amazing. Notably the man with the goggles has a green glow where the light hits his skin and even more so when Wolf link is walking in that orange scene.

To put this in perspective and to help you all understand how big this is; I've yet to see a PS2 or Xbox game use bloom. They simply don't use it (even though the 360 is over-saturated with it in some games).

MacRumorUser
May 23, 2006, 11:31 AM
Is there supposed to be a difference between the Gamecube's and Wii's graphics for this game?

Yes. The Wii version will be tweaked, a tiny amount, and run in 16:9 progressive whereas the cube will be 4:3 progressive only....

srobert
May 23, 2006, 11:35 AM
Yes. The Wii version will be tweaked, a tiny amount, and run in 16:9 progressive whereas the cube will be 4:3 progressive only....

Yowza! That's good to hear. 16:9 alone make it an even better deal for me.

Edit: Twilight Princess music's composed by Koji Kondo. Should be good.

Edit2: I've downloaded the MP3 from IGN but the tags are all wrong. (Allman Brothers Band???) Anybody can send me the correct tags's data? I really like this track.

_

GFLPraxis
May 23, 2006, 11:51 AM

A tiny amount? The people in line with me who were at E3 last year were commenting on the visible difference between the GameCube and Wii versions.

GFLPraxis
May 23, 2006, 11:52 AM
Sorry, this is my key word since E3. I've mentioned this to a few people but heres the forum bit;

Watch the trailer. The Gamecube version has bloom lighting. Fancy that! How they got that in there is pretty amazing. Notably the man with the goggles has a green glow where the light hits his skin and even more so when Wolf link is walking in that orange scene.

To put this in perspective and to help you all understand how big this is; I've yet to see a PS2 or Xbox game use bloom. They simply don't use it (even though the 360 is over-saturated with it in some games).

Everything has bloom with you :p

Dagless
May 23, 2006, 11:57 AM

Aye! But it's such a nice thing to have. Blame HL2 Lost Coast demo. but I love it :)

Does that music make anyone else's skin tingle? I finally fixed my amp's speaker switch to pump this track out of my incredible wall speakers. Sweet god. sweet, sweet god. This is what the Loudness button was invented for.

srobert
May 23, 2006, 12:02 PM

Use of Bloom can clearly be seen in the screenshot attached below.

_

Redneck1089
May 23, 2006, 12:03 PM
So I have a question:

What's the story with this new Zelda game--will it be on both the Gamecube and the Wii? Will there be two different versions of the game?

MacRumorUser
May 23, 2006, 12:03 PM
A tiny amount? The people in line with me who were at E3 last year were commenting on the visible difference between the GameCube and Wii versions.

Cool, I knew there was some, but didn't want to over state it in case i was wrong :p

Definetly the wii version for me..... Just hope I can wii before christmas..

greatdevourer
May 23, 2006, 01:13 PM
So I have a question:

What's the story with this new Zelda game--will it be on both the Gamecube and the Wii? Will there be two different versions of the game? There are 2 versions, but only in that one is on a physically bigger disk, has bumped graphics and uses the Wii controller rather than the GC one

sk1985
May 23, 2006, 01:13 PM
So I have a question:

What's the story with this new Zelda game--will it be on both the Gamecube and the Wii? Will there be two different versions of the game?
Its the same game. The Cube version is made to be used with a game cube controller and the wii version uses the wii controller. I hear the wii version looks better too. However I heard the GC version plays better. This is based on what several video game sites have said based on comparing previous GC builds to the wii version. It kind of makes sense though. The GC version should be more polished from the fact it's been in production for so long. I heard the wii version had tricky controls and the added game play elements seemed rushed and not as put together as Nintendo would have you think. I imagine this will change, the game still has a few months of development time.

Ja Di ksw
May 23, 2006, 01:35 PM
Its the same game. The Cube version is made to be used with a game cube controller and the wii version uses the wii controller. I hear the wii version looks better too. However I heard the GC version plays better. This is based on what several video game sites have said based on comparing previous GC builds to the wii version. It kind of makes sense though. The GC version should be more polished from the fact it's been in production for so long. I heard the wii version had tricky controls and the added game play elements seemed rushed and not as put together as Nintendo would have you think. I imagine this will change, the game still has a few months of development time.

If that's the case, it would be nice if you could still use the Game Cube controller on the Wii version. Get the better graphics and the better controls. I'd probably still be using the Wii controller, though.

GFLPraxis
May 23, 2006, 01:40 PM

What are you talking about? Give me a link.
The Wii version plays EXACTLY like the GameCube version, except you can aim weapons like the arrows and boomerang and grappling claw using the Wiimote (MUCH better) and you can OPTIONALLY swing the nunchuck for shortcuts to special attacks, or you can use the exact same button setup as the GameCube version.

How would the GC version play better? :confused: Having played the Wii version, there was nothing wrong with it...

And I'm not kidding, you can literally control it exactly like the GC version on the Wii. The Z button on the nunchuck locks on, the joystick moves you, the B button attacks with the sword, the A button does actions and jumping attacks and finishing moves, and your weapons are mapped to the D-pad buttons. On the Wii.

2nyRiggz
May 23, 2006, 01:49 PM
Watch the trailer. The Gamecube version has bloom lighting.

You sure do love your bloom.....the game looks very nice...i won't bother getting it for the GC..just the Wii.

Bless

BlizzardBomb
May 23, 2006, 02:43 PM
Twilight Princess is the only game to knock off OoT as the best game of all time™

Only time will tell if that's true. If Twilight Princess can beat OoT's many perfect reviews than I would be quite surprized.

Dagless
May 23, 2006, 02:53 PM
oops, I mean only TP has the potential to knock the crown off OoT.
and yea you're right. OoT is as close to gaming perfection as we can get. I just hope, I think TP can do this. If only the Wii and TP came out during my summer holidays :( Instead of y'know, when I'm due back at university for my final year. busybusy

sk1985
May 23, 2006, 03:51 PM
What are you talking about? Give me a link.
The Wii version plays EXACTLY like the GameCube version, except you can aim weapons like the arrows and boomerang and grappling claw using the Wiimote (MUCH better) and you can OPTIONALLY swing the nunchuck for shortcuts to special attacks, or you can use the exact same button setup as the GameCube version.

How would the GC version play better? :confused: Having played the Wii version, there was nothing wrong with it...

And I'm not kidding, you can literally control it exactly like the GC version on the Wii. The Z button on the nunchuck locks on, the joystick moves you, the B button attacks with the sword, the A button does actions and jumping attacks and finishing moves, and your weapons are mapped to the D-pad buttons. On the Wii.
This is just what I've read. I'd have to find you the link (too many E3 links to count. LOL). Although I've yet to play a build of both games. I'd personally have to make a judgment call once both versions are out.

Siderits
May 23, 2006, 04:20 PM
http://www.nintendoplayers.com/article.php?articleID=301
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/BigGoronSword/One%20Shots/beforeandafter.jpg

Woah.

And this is the GameCube version. Check out the trailer.
http://cubemovies.ign.com/cube/video/article/706/706411/GCN_Zelda_1_qtlow.mov

WoW, cant wait for this game to come out, graphics are looking nice.

Ja Di ksw
May 23, 2006, 04:55 PM
This is just what I've read. I'd have to find you the link.

Not to be a di**, but I think that's what he meant by "Give me a link". I'm interested too as this is one of the big Wii games I'm looking forward to.

CubeHacker
May 23, 2006, 06:36 PM
Use of Bloom can clearly be seen in the screenshot attached below.

_

Uhh, there isn't anything even closely resembling bloom in that shot. Unless you consider a blurry fog effect to be bloom?

And bloom has been used in many, many PS2 and xbox games. Its not all that hardware intensive, its simply an overbright type effect where a light source "leaks" or "blooms" into adjacent areas. Now, HDR is similar to bloom, except the intensity of the light changes depending on where you are looking, in an attempt to simulate a greater range of brightness. HDR *is* very hardware intensive, and cannot be done on systems like GC, PS2 and xbox, although x360 does support HDR (high dynamic range) lighting.

Here is an example of what bloom looks like (with it enabled and disabled): http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Bloom/Screenshots

Note that HDR *cannot* be shown in a single screenshot, because the very nature of HDR is how the lighting/brightness changes depending on what you are looking at.

Dagless
May 23, 2006, 06:42 PM
Which games in specific used bloom? I've never seen it on current gen hardware myself.

floyde
May 23, 2006, 06:47 PM
Uhh, there isn't anything even closely resembling bloom in that shot. Unless you consider a blurry fog effect to be bloom?
Lol :D I think he meant this bloom:
http://www.poster.net/bloom-orlando/bloom-orlando-photo-orlando-bloom-6203258.jpg
Orlando Bloom :p , I'm surprised nobody got that, he's been in quite a few very popular films ;)

CubeHacker
May 23, 2006, 06:47 PM
Which games in specific used bloom? I've never seen it on current gen hardware myself.

The Prince of Persia games use a bloom effect (on all systems). Deus Ex 2 and Thief 3 on the xbox use bloom. KOTOR also uses a bloom/overbright type effect. Keep in mind that there is really no standardized version of "bloom" and how it should look. Some games use bloom in a very subtle way, while others like Need for Speed: Most Wanted are an overdone bloomy mess.

Bloom is the new "lens flare" effect that we saw in every game back in 1998-2000. And just like lens flares, it starts to look tacky when overused.

CubeHacker
May 23, 2006, 06:48 PM
Lol :D I think he meant this bloom:
image too large
Orlando Bloom :p , I'm surprised nobody got that, he's been in quite a few very popular films ;)

/bonk , wow, I can't believe I missed that. I knew that face looked somewhat familiar...

Dagless
May 23, 2006, 07:08 PM
/bonk , wow, I can't believe I missed that. I knew that face looked somewhat familiar...

...I can't believe I missed all those bloom in those above mentioned games! I'm probably used to the really good stuff used in HL2 and some 360 games.

sk1985
May 23, 2006, 07:47 PM
Not to be a di**, but I think that's what he meant by "Give me a link". I'm interested too as this is one of the big Wii games I'm looking forward to.
No need to be so blunt about it. You too could do background research if you're that interested. Anyway heres ign's thoughts on the controls of LZ:TLP.

"For one, the action of throwing crates by shaking the nunchuck didn't always work. I'm confident that this is a bug that Nintendo will easily be able to fix as the spin attack worked like a charm every time. The second issue came up when trying to aim at a nasty little guy far away on a platform. The freehand controller had somehow gotten calibrated off-center, making quick aiming extremely difficult. It's unclear whether this was a bug with the game code or a problem with the freehand-aim control setup that Nintendo has yet to solve across all its titles. Luckily, I only encountered this problem once during my two walkthroughs of the dungeon demo area". http://revolution.ign.com/articles/707/707152p1.html

He pretty much sum up how I said most likely all the small kinks will be ironed out by the time the game is released. Other parts of the article spoke really highly about the controls so thats always a plus. Also this is one of the more favorable previews I've read. I'd have to look more further for a much more negative one. But the game is far from prefect. Thats understandable though since this was just a preview build. I could keep posting links but who really cares (if you really want more links I guess I could find more). Just judge the game when it's done. My first post was merely being honest about some of the games flaws and what others have said about two comparable builds. Just judge the finish game.

mkrishnan
May 23, 2006, 07:50 PM

I got it, srobert, if it makes you feel any better. :) Nice.

GFLPraxis
May 23, 2006, 08:15 PM
This is just what I've read. I'd have to find you the link (too many E3 links to count. LOL). Although I've yet to play a build of both games. I'd personally have to make a judgment call once both versions are out.

Well the thing is that Nintendo mapped every button on the GameCube controller that Zelda uses to the Wii controller, so you can play the game ENTIRELY using buttons and only using the Wiimote for shooting arrows. So I don't understand how GameCube could be better if all the buttons have been mapped to the Wii controller and you can play it exactly the same...

GFLPraxis
May 23, 2006, 08:17 PM
No need to be so blunt about it. You too could do background research if you're that interested. Anyway heres ign's thoughts on the controls of LZ:TLP.

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/707/707152p1.html

He pretty much sum up how I said most likely all the small kinks will be ironed out by the time the game is released. Other parts of the article spoke really highly about the controls so thats always a plus. Also this is one of the more favorable previews I've read. I'd have to look more further for a much more negative one. But the game is far from prefect. Thats understandable though since this was just a preview build. I could keep posting links but who really cares (if you really want more links I guess I could find more). Just judge the game when it's done. My first post was merely being honest about some of the games flaws and what others have said about two comparable builds. Just judge the finish game.

Well, keep in mind that like I said, the GameCube buttons have been mapped to the Wii controller.

Don't like throwing crates with the Wii controller? You can still hit the A button to do it.

As for the arrow bug, that's strange. Haven't encountered that.

Symtex
May 24, 2006, 12:25 AM
Every single preview I have read regarding Zelda:TP claims that Zelda was not build ground up using the Wiimote. You can definetly see that it's been added at the last minute and some of the control are ackward, specialy the Bow control. Very difficult to use.

I realise that it's almost impossible to say anything negative regarding the so "Legendery" Zelda franchise. The truth is it might be the best Zelda game ever but I think the game was made with the Gamecube in mind and was ported to the Wii with some cheap integrationg of the Wii features.

GFLPraxis
May 24, 2006, 07:27 PM
Every single preview I have read regarding Zelda:TP claims that Zelda was not build ground up using the Wiimote. You can definetly see that it's been added at the last minute and some of the control are ackward, specialy the Bow control. Very difficult to use.

I realise that it's almost impossible to say anything negative regarding the so "Legendery" Zelda franchise. The truth is it might be the best Zelda game ever but I think the game was made with the Gamecube in mind and was ported to the Wii with some cheap integrationg of the Wii features.

Where the heck did you hear it was difficult to use?

Like I said; Nintendo simply mapped every single GameCube button to the Wiimote and let you shoot arrows/boomerang/grapple using the Wiimote. It controlled perfectly, as I was pulling off headshots within fifteen seconds of pulling out the bow and arrow. I filmed other people pulling off headshots on their first time playing as well.

sk1985
May 24, 2006, 08:42 PM
Where the heck did you hear it was difficult to use?

Like I said; Nintendo simply mapped every single GameCube button to the Wiimote and let you shoot arrows/boomerang/grapple using the Wiimote. It controlled perfectly, as I was pulling off headshots within fifteen seconds of pulling out the bow and arrow. I filmed other people pulling off headshots on their first time playing as well.

Maybe you should be telling us where you heard it wasn't difficult to use (aside from your accounts)....just kidding. Seriously I was kidding. I can't tell why you really care that much. It was only a demo build of the game. Sure some things most likely aren't that polished and most likely rushed to give people an idea of how the game plays. As I've been saying forever just judge the game when it's done. There's been tons of games with horrible builds that ended up awesome. Halo's first couple outings to the public were almost unplayable by some accounts. Just look at how sweet halo turned out.

GFLPraxis
May 24, 2006, 09:00 PM
I just find it very strange that Symtex claims that the bow and arrow were hard to control, considering that was *the* best part of the demo. Pinpoint accuracy. The rest played exactly like the GameCube version.

Symtex
May 24, 2006, 11:10 PM
I just find it very strange that Symtex claims that the bow and arrow were hard to control, considering that was *the* best part of the demo. Pinpoint accuracy. The rest played exactly like the GameCube version.

GFLPraxis, I heard the same comment from differents sources : John Davidson from 1up.com and Gametrailers TV said the same thing too. GT TV E3 round video is still available to watch if you go to their website.

EDIT*

If you go to www.dl.tv and watch Episode 62 for John Davidson comments.

GFLPraxis
May 24, 2006, 11:16 PM
Well, I can only say that I strongly disagree on the subject of arrow firing, as do the people who were with me in line. In fact, the arrow shooting was better than I had thought it would be.

The only game that truly disappointed me was Red Steel.