PDA

View Full Version : Must have DS games?

BurtonCCC
May 23, 2006, 07:19 PM
I'm going to pick up the DS Lite on June 11 after not having a Nintendo handheld since Game Boy Color... what games should I get?

I know I'm going to buy New Super Mario Bros. and Mario Kart DS right when I get the system, but what should I be looking for in the following weeks?

Daniel.

2nyRiggz
May 23, 2006, 07:24 PM
New super mario bros.
MP: hunters
Mario Kart
Partners in time

Bless

BurtonCCC
May 23, 2006, 07:43 PM
I should add that I don't know anybody else who has a DS, so I won't be able to play multiplayer unless the DS can connect to my AirPort Express so I could play people on the internet, which would be very impressive to me.

Daniel.

Dagless
May 23, 2006, 08:09 PM
You can play online with that yes.

some of my faves and reasons, because it's fun to type.

Mario Kart- It's Mario Kart
Metroid Hunters- Best online DS game to date
Animal Crossing- Possibly the only game that relaxes the player
Tony Hawk DS- best TH I've played since TH1.
Advance Wars- Great if you're smart... I'm stuck :D very addictive
Nanostray- Seemingly unknown top-scrolling shoot em up. Solid. FUN.
Kirby- Very creative platform game.
WarioWare- Great DS showcase title. Great for a bit, one of those games you come back to every year thinking "how could I ever leave this!" and then you leave it again.

Mario Bros DS and Tetris DS come highly recommended too. I've yet to play these.

Moshiiii
May 23, 2006, 09:30 PM
Animal Crossing - If you have the free time.

BurtonCCC
May 23, 2006, 09:31 PM
I've been researching Animal Crossing... I think I'll definitely be getting that one. College is nothing but free time. ;)

Daniel.

mrgreen4242
May 23, 2006, 10:54 PM
Mario Kart and Metroid are both excellent single and multiplayer online (free!). I'd start with one or both of those, personally, depending on wether you prefer racing or FPS.

plinkoman
May 23, 2006, 11:20 PM
i'm also getting a lite when they come out as my first experience with a ds.

so far, i've decided on:
New Super Mario Bros.
Metroid Prime: Hunters
Mario Kart DS
Sonic Rush

i'm also contemplating Tetris DS, but i may wait until I can get it dirt cheap, after all, it's just tetris. :cool:

I've also never had a GBA, so i'll be getting:
Zelda: Minish Cap
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Zero Mission

they'll all be new to me, so it's all good

Trowaman
May 23, 2006, 11:27 PM
I'm also getting my first DS when the Lite launches.

I've decided on Super Mario Bros. as my first game then expanding to Metroid Hunters and Mario Kart, possibly Tetris and Wario Ware.

I'm seeing multiple recommendations for Animal Crossing? Ok, I'll bite. Sell me on it. Why is this game cool enough for me to eventually buy?

Bubbasteve
May 23, 2006, 11:33 PM
I'm picking up my DS Lite on June 11th as well and I'm also very interested in suggested games. I already bought the New Super Mario Bros. and I will most likely get Mario Kart and/or Animal Crossing later down the road.

Ja Di ksw
May 23, 2006, 11:55 PM
Metroid Prime - Fun if you like FPS. I like them, but I suck at them. Dear god, do I suck at them.

Mario and Luigi, Partners in Time - Get it. It is amazingly fun. I was discouraged when I heard the set up, but I couldn't put it down. First DS game I had that I played straight through to the end without stopping to play other DS games.

Mario Kart - It's Mario Kart, it's online (yes, through your Airport). Really, you need more?

Nanostray - as someone else has said, very fun. Reminds me of the old arcade games I would play at a little shack of a restaurant in Minnesota that had the weakest excuse for a section for kids. Man I miss that place, and the giant rock they put in front of it for no reason I could understand.

WarioWare - jimmi is dead on. I love the little bouncy guy you draw lines under :D

Animal Crossing - if you like AC on the gamecube, get this. I found it fun, still do, but don't play it enough to keep my town in nice shape. Stupid weeds.

Bomberman - Ok, the first person game in bomberman (any of them, really) isn't that good. If you get a friend or two to get a DS, get this. I love, LOVE multiplayer bomberman. I'm surprised I'm not blind from when Super Bomberman came out. If they made a DS bomberman that worked online I would raid the factory and get it before launch. Oh wait, then I would have no one to multiplayer with . . . .

EDIT: Forgot the new Mario Bros as it's in my DS (yes, I have other games too but they're not worth mentioning). It's fun. Classic Mario. Too easy to beat, but Mario was never about difficulty. If you liked Mario back during the NES, get it. Don't expect to be blown away, though.

Kibry / Yoshi Touch & Go - People have said good things. To be honest, I'm meh about them, but I didn't give them much of a chance. Yoshi is short. Fun, but really nothing there. Multiplayer amused me when I got someone to play with me. Kirby I got for xmas at the same time I got many other DS games, and so it got pushed aside. People say good things, I'll start it up again when I'm done with Mario.

Polarium - Bored? Like puzzles? Can you find it for cheap from a used place or on sale? Worth picking it up. I got it for $10. I solve a puzzle occasionally, especially when I need a game I don't have to pay attention to. Fun, if you can get it for cheap.

Lost in Blue - Am I the only one that ever found this game? I like it. Survival type game, you're stuck on an island and blah blah blah. Has some really neat controls (hitting L and R alternatively to rub a stick to make fire, then blow on the DS to blow the embers) and some really cruddy controls. Is it great? No. Is it a simple game that makes me happy sometimes? Yes. Does this invalidate any opinion I've given on the other games? Probably, but then again, I did say buy Polarium, so you honestly still trust me?

Freak.

it's fun to type

Yes, yes it is.

evilgEEk
May 24, 2006, 01:58 AM
I got a DS just two weeks ago, the game I bought with it was LostMagic. I haven't heard anyone else really talk about this game, but I wanted a new RPG and this one was it. I do like it, nothing too fancy about it, SNES style, reminds me of Zelda: LTTP. I do like how you do spells by drawing with the stylus though, makes it a little more fun.

The other games mentioned, Mario Kart, MP: Hunters, those are excellent. I never got in to Animal Crossing, but I'll likely buy it for my wife since she really liked it on the 'Cube.

The only other game I can think of that's not mentioned as of yet is Brain Age. Strangely addictive. Just a bunch of training exercises to guesstimate the, yep, age of your brain. It has Sudoku too, I generally play a game of that before going to sleep.

I've been pondering getting Zelda: Minish Cap. Is it recommended? I'll likely get it since it's Zelda, but would like some comments from those who have played it. :)

Ja Di ksw
May 24, 2006, 03:03 AM
One thing I have to say about MarioKart - The multiplayer can get annoying. I don't go into a single game now without at least one person pulling some cheap stuff to get way ahead of everyone else, makes the games a lot less fun. Anyways, I'd still recommend it :D

StartTday
May 24, 2006, 07:44 AM
You've already decided on New Super Mario which is a great game and reminds me way to much of all those hours spent in 1986 playing the Mario on my brand new NES. Ah those were the days.

As far as what to suggest. I borrowed prime hunters. I began playing through the single player and thought it was fun, until I read a faq that told me I had to keep revisiting the same levels over and over again to complete the game. But like mentioned above, multiplayer is where its at.

Im surprised that no one has recommended Castlevania. I dont know if you've ever played Symphony of the Night for the PS but thats one of the best game ever made. I spent my entire christmas break playing that game. Good thing my family was on a vacation and I had no one but myself to entertain.

Also, if you can get a copy of the import Ouendan get it. An american version is coming out but the music and stories for the Japanese version make this game too damn funny. Its a rythm game (I hate all except this one) in which a male cheerleading squad dress in black trench coats come out to cheer and help the story's character out through a situation. Such as a violinist who is late for a concert yet has to fight back a stomach pain. If you lose, well the last shot is of him sitting on a toilet crying.

I work for a video game company as an artist and never would have bought a DS. But after so many coworkers kept insisting I get one to play multiplayer games during lunch, well it changed. Very very fun no matter what games you buy.

Also the new Zelda and StarFox are coming out for the DS.

cubist
May 24, 2006, 09:31 AM
I found Meteos hugely addictive. Advance Wars DS is very good, but gets very difficult very quickly. Looking forward to Zelda on the DS, but also the Opera browser.

Games to avoid: Asphalt, Need for Speed Most Wanted, and any other racing games. The control problems haven't been worked out. Maybe one will use the touchscreen someday.

Don't forget you can play GBA games too, and you can get them pretty cheaply.

BurtonCCC
May 24, 2006, 09:41 AM
I'll be getting the GBA Zelda: LTTP for sure. Amazing game.

Daniel.

BurtonCCC
May 24, 2006, 09:43 AM
I'm seeing multiple recommendations for Animal Crossing? Ok, I'll bite. Sell me on it. Why is this game cool enough for me to eventually buy?
IGN.com has some video reviews that sold me on it. I guess it doesn't look like anything more than a time waster. The only thing that scares me is that it's apparently very hard to get friend codes for other people online to visit your village. Maybe a MacRumors Animal Crossing friend code list is needed? :)

Daniel.

Dagless
May 24, 2006, 09:53 AM
Maybe a MacRumors Animal Crossing friend code list is needed? :)

Daniel.

There is! Somewhere. That should be "there was" I suppose. it was a long time ago.

Vasileios
May 24, 2006, 11:08 AM
"Brain Age" is an awesome game for the DS.
Highly reccomended!!!

sourcemonkey
May 25, 2006, 01:29 AM
IGN.com has some video reviews that sold me on it. I guess it doesn't look like anything more than a time waster. The only thing that scares me is that it's apparently very hard to get friend codes for other people online to visit your village. Maybe a MacRumors Animal Crossing friend code list is needed? :)

Daniel.

I've also pre-ordered a DS Lite (due next week) and bought Animal Crossing today - I'm sure I'll get Mario Kart too when I pick it up. Other (not yet released) titles that look good include FFIII and Children of Mana. I've heard good things about Castlevania and Trauma Center too. To be honest I'm new to the DS but couldn't resist when I saw the Lite and the upcoming Opera browser. I'll keep an eye out for a MacRumors friend code thread once I get a town up and running!
I was actually searching to see if i would be able to connect wirelessly to my airport express without any other hardware - seems according to raggedjimmi I can... this is the case huh?

evilgEEk
May 25, 2006, 01:58 AM
I was actually searching to see if i would be able to connect wirelessly to my airport express without any other hardware - seems according to raggedjimmi I can... this is the case huh?
Mine connects to my AE with no problems at all. You just go through the DS Wi-Fi Connect setup and enter your WEP code (if you have one) when it prompts you to and it will connect. Very simple, very Apple-esque. :)

MacRumorUser
May 25, 2006, 02:09 AM
Mine connects to my AE with no problems at all. You just go through the DS Wi-Fi Connect setup and enter your WEP code (if you have one) when it prompts you to and it will connect. Very simple, very Apple-esque. :)

Yep I concur. Never had any trouble connecting to my AE base station.

Brain Age
Mario & Luigi
Super Mario Bros
Sonic Rush
Metroid Prime hunters
Super Mario 64
Tetris DS
Animal Crossing
Mario Kart
Advanced Wars DS

That's my DS collection and every single one of them is top notch....

sourcemonkey
May 25, 2006, 02:57 AM

Thanks evilgEEk. I haven't been so excited about a product for a long time... the Wii too...

turbopants
May 25, 2006, 08:59 AM
Great thread here, lots of good info. I'm also getting a DS when the Lite comes out real soon. I'll be picking up Tetris DS and New Super Mario at that time. Lots of great DS games to choose from! :D

Smallville
May 26, 2006, 04:43 AM
I've put in my birthday request (late July) for a DS Lite with Super Mario Bros.

Couldn't care less if I never get another game. The classic Mario games never get old. It will hold me over until I can get a Wii and buy the classics along with the new stuff.

Are there any Superman games?

GFLPraxis
May 27, 2006, 04:17 PM
I've put in my birthday request (late July) for a DS Lite with Super Mario Bros.

Couldn't care less if I never get another game. The classic Mario games never get old. It will hold me over until I can get a Wii and buy the classics along with the new stuff.

Are there any Superman games?

Superman Returns is coming out on the DS, I had a few minutes with it at E3, didn't look too bad.

Hello from a fellow Smallville fan :)