Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I changed the search method for this site.... so the search function may work better.

There's actually a bit of controversy if this new method is actually better... in that some people think the results are worse, but it is much faster and won't timeout as much (I don't think). Overall should be a big improvement.

Tell me what you think. (And if you can't find your result, you can always try MRoogle)

There is a better (but less efficient) method... but I tested it and it took 75 seconds when I searched from "Apple Store"... so I decided not to use that one.

arn

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
But you see, that's why it's so fast. It'll never find short terms, like "jew" or "mad jew" or "jsw" or "arn"... or "RAM", "CPU", "PPC", "duo", "OWC", "Mac", etc. ;)

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
hm.... 3 letter words were supposed to make it in...

will try to fix it.

arn

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
3 letter words work now, but overall search seems a little slower.
we'll see how this works out for now

arn

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Wow...it's actually searching thread titles now! That used to be one of my biggest pet peeves: If I searched for a word in the title of a thread that wasn't used in the body of the thread, I'd never find it. But now it seems to work...yay!

Thanks, arn!

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
I was about to start a thread about the search function being broken. What did you switch, cause it sure isn't working for me know. I'm getting tonnes of incorrect results. Take a look for example.
I really doubt there's 120 threads with "nympsdfh asdklfuu ahhhhhh" in them, I would expect only 1, this one :eek: :confused:
Is it just searching for letters and not complete words now?
Is there something I need to change in my preferences to get it to search for the letters as complete words?

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    79.3 KB · Views: 90

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
I think it is by default and "or" search. Therefor it is probably picking up the ahhhhhh as it is a common expression.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
Really, really, really don't like the new search :(
How do you use AND statements in it? It doesn't seem to work for me when I type in "blah AND blah"
Is this done another way?
Please let me know.

Thanks

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
neocell said:
Really, really, really don't like the new search :(
How do you use AND statements in it? It doesn't seem to work for me when I type in "blah AND blah"
Is this done another way?
Please let me know.

Thanks

Not sure if you can. Did you actually prefer the old search?

arn

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
arn said:
Not sure if you can. Did you actually prefer the old search?

arn
I definitely prefer the old search from my "minor" use with both versions. I didn't use it that much, a couple of times a week, and I never had a problem with it, but I guess others were complaining about it. My brain works in the exclusive search mode, thus the old search mode worked much better for my already strapped neural resources. :eek:
I guess I can start using MRoogle instead (or just not search anymore :D )

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Thanks for your hard work Arn! :) I will try it out too and see what happens. I found that with the old method, using site:macrumors.com on Google tended to provide more accurate results, but fewer results, and especially wasn't great for finding the newest posts. I got stumped, though, using the built-in forum search, trying to find threads I knew I'd posted in....

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
After a week or two of trying to get used to this new search feature, I'm really struggling. The two main issues I'm having:

1. Anything I search for, even things that should be pretty obscure, seem to return almost 500 hits, most of them with very little relevance. There have been a few times when I've been searching for something that I know I posted myself and have typed in a very close description, and either gotten no returned results or gotten so many that I couldn't go through all the results.

2. On the advanced search page, if I tell it to search only within thread titles, it returns many results that have only one of the terms, even if I add "AND" between the words.

Arn, as always, you do a great job with the site! But I think I'd rather have the old search back! :eek:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I agree...the whole "OR" thing in the search is extremely frustrating. If I add search terms, I'd like the default operation to be to narrow my results not broaden them. I don't know if Boolean operators can be implemented, but if not the default should definitely be to use "AND" when multiple search terms are used.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
To be contrarian, I love the new search. I haven't tried any advanced features -- haven't used and or or. But it has allowed me to perform general searches more effectively than the "old" search.

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
BTT,

I do not see a link to a thread/tutorial showing exactly how the search function options work, what parameters are useful to get more relevant hits. Anyone?

And I still don't see anything from arn on this thread saying exactly what was changed from new to old? Can we get a revision number update thread going, to explain the differences ;).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.