PDA

View Full Version : Already returning my 360

Sutekidane
May 23, 2006, 11:12 PM
Well, I got a xbox 360 about a week ago, and I've been having a blast playing Oblivion on it. Today it froze on me twice randomly, and I've just had enough. It froze when I was playing fable on it too. I'm not sure what's up with MS and the 360s but there is definitely some major software/hardware issue going on. I'm really upset about it, as I really enjoyed my 360. Hopefully I'll get one again when they actually work. :-(

Cooknn
May 23, 2006, 11:14 PM
Been there. Done that. Returned mine after 4 days. I had about $900 into hardware and games. Got most of it back. Freaking Microsoft. I should have known better :rolleyes:

Sutekidane
May 23, 2006, 11:16 PM
The system seemed so well designed and thought out that I didn't think my $500 investment would turn out to be a bad one. I mean it was great until it kept freezing.

0s and 1s
May 23, 2006, 11:23 PM
ANY chance that you bought a system from the old batch? :confused:

Regardless, I feel your pain. I had enough with my own 360 problems and will wait until 1/07 at the earliest for another go at it.

Sutekidane
May 23, 2006, 11:28 PM

Regardless, I feel your pain. I had enough with my own 360 problems and will wait until 1/07 at the earliest for another go at it.

I believe the manufacturing date was 4/2006

AJ Muni
May 23, 2006, 11:34 PM
Mine has been perfect since day 1.

Zman5225
May 23, 2006, 11:37 PM
mine has been perfect as well. It's crazy i've seen threads like this from a few people that just happened to get duds from the factory. Sucks. Mine was second batch from BB.

Bubbasteve
May 23, 2006, 11:37 PM
Instead of selling it, call up Microsoft and tell them your problems. When I got the "Ring of Death", they sent me a shipping box and label and I had a refurb model that I haven't had a problem with yet (*knock on wood*). I would try that route first and if they don't help you out then just go along returning it.

Sutekidane
May 23, 2006, 11:41 PM
I'm not going through the BS having it replaced 5 or 6 times like everyone else does, I'm returning it now while I still can. I think the problem is more with the software really, just really buggy software. You said that yours has been perfect from day 1? what games do you play on it? Mine has played Demos off the HD perfectly well, but when it came to xbox 1, and my only game for 360, oblivion, it has been rocky to say the least. Fable ran so poorly, the framerate was awful, and it froze often.

erickkoch
May 24, 2006, 12:09 AM
No problems with my Xbox360 yet. Oblivion, Tomb Raider, Quake, Call of Duty 2. Had it since January.

My only complaint is that it's a bit loud when playing games, sounds like a hair dryer set on low, and produces about as much heat. Couldn't the richest man in the world put a team together that could design it better?

erickkoch
May 24, 2006, 12:14 AM
No problems with my Xbox360 yet. Oblivion, Tomb Raider, Quake, Call of Duty 2. Had it since January.

My only complaint is that it's a bit loud when playing games, sounds like a hair dryer set on low, and produces about as much heat. Couldn't the richest man in the world put a team together that could design it better?

Edit: Sorry about the multiple posts.

pdpfilms
May 24, 2006, 12:18 AM
You've "had enough" because it froze a couple times? I'd hate to be around you using a PC....

And look at that! I don't think I've ever seen a quadruple post before... cool!

Ja Di ksw
May 24, 2006, 12:44 AM
I think I've had enough of quadruple posts. Time to bring out the beatin' stick.

crachoar
May 24, 2006, 03:24 AM
I feel your 'freezing' pain.

God, it pisses me off. And I'm glad I get some refurb for my troubles...

To the guy that did get a refurb: How did they ship it? In that same, flimsy, joke of a box they send to place the 360 in and ship to them? Or do they actually protect it with packing materials and such when they mail it back?

Because there's no way in hell that my system is going to survive the trip back in that tiny cardboard box with no padding.

PM me or post here if you can. Thanks.

NATO
May 24, 2006, 04:38 AM
Your particular unit has a fault if it is freezing. However, that is NOT indicitive of all Xbox 360s, in fact mine has been perfect since launch day, as are others belonging to friends and family. There is not a massive problem with the Xbox 360 - all electronic products can fail. I suggest that rather than simply 'throwing your toys out of the pram' because it froze twice, either call Microsoft and arrange a replacement, or arrange a replacement through your retailer. You will receive a new console, and I hope you have as much fun with it as I do with mine.

The hardware/software is fine. It really is. There isn't a global conspiracy, It's just you have been unlucky to receive a faulty model, just like people around the world do every day when they buy cars, computers, electronic gadgets etc etc etc.

Haoshiro
May 24, 2006, 06:18 AM
I'm not going through the BS having it replaced 5 or 6 times like everyone else does, I'm returning it now while I still can. I think the problem is more with the software really, just really buggy software. You said that yours has been perfect from day 1? what games do you play on it? Mine has played Demos off the HD perfectly well, but when it came to xbox 1, and my only game for 360, oblivion, it has been rocky to say the least. Fable ran so poorly, the framerate was awful, and it froze often.

Mine isn't a launch system as far as I know, I got it about March, and have not had any problems.

I haven't played Oblivion but I have had no problems with the following Xbox 1 games: Halo, Halo 2, DoA 3, Fable, Fuzion Frenzy. Nor any of the demos nor FN3 or Burnout Revenge. Which is to say, everything I have played on it.

I really think the Internet blows things out of proportion... a handful of people on this forum have had problems, and I see scattered reports other places... but the reports I've seen doesn't even hit 1,000.... and millions have been sold.

I agree with the other poster, it's not the software. You might also check to see if the power supply unit has any ventilation, make sure it's not surrounded and getting choked. PSUs are a very common problem for PCs so I don't see why an overheating PSU on 360 (the big gray block) would be any different.

sam10685
May 24, 2006, 06:29 AM
Couldn't the richest man in the world put a team together that could design it better?

bill gates is pretty messed in the head i guess...

ReanimationLP
May 24, 2006, 06:55 AM
That sucks that your 360 is crashing so much. :(

Great name and avatar though. ^.^

And yes, I do know what the name is from. :P

aswitcher
May 24, 2006, 06:56 AM
A 360 is on the horizon for me but I think I'll wait for the price war in October November which should hopefully bring lower prices and better quality control (and maybe a more reliable cooling powerbrick) not to mention a HD drive option... Does anyone know when it will also be getting the smaller nm chips which should run cooler?

Haoshiro
May 24, 2006, 07:20 AM
A 360 is on the horizon for me but I think I'll wait for the price war in October November which should hopefully bring lower prices and better quality control (and maybe a more reliable cooling powerbrick) not to mention a HD drive option... Does anyone know when it will also be getting the smaller nm chips which should run cooler?

I suppose anything is possible but I wouldn't hold your breath. Sony has given MS a nice price lead already, and they are ahead in production. That means by Oct/Nov MS will already be leading in price and quality over PS3, so they won't actually have a reason to change anything.

StartTday
May 24, 2006, 07:35 AM
I agree with the previous poster. Don't expect a price war between those companies because 360 already set the bar. Also, Halo3 comes out the same time as ps3.

As far as the 360. Why not just upgrade the firmware and mod the 360?

Sutekidane
May 24, 2006, 08:31 AM
I'm going today to return it. Now I'm not sure whether I should swap it out for a new one or just get my money back. I guess it couldn't hurt swapping it out, even though I'd have to start over in oblivion, and lose the 8 hours I put into it. I'm just really annoyed that my $500 has landed me something less reliable than a equivalent priced PC. This is really the first time I've had such problems with a console, and I find it shocking, that these problems developed so quickly.

Hopefully, if they have others in stock, I won't get a dud this time.

Bubbasteve
May 24, 2006, 08:32 AM
I feel your 'freezing' pain.

God, it pisses me off. And I'm glad I get some refurb for my troubles...

To the guy that did get a refurb: How did they ship it? In that same, flimsy, joke of a box they send to place the 360 in and ship to them? Or do they actually protect it with packing materials and such when they mail it back?

Because there's no way in hell that my system is going to survive the trip back in that tiny cardboard box with no padding.

PM me or post here if you can. Thanks.

I am actually pretty impressed in Microsoft's "brown coffin" they sent me. It had alot of protective padding and like I said, I've yet to have a problem with it since.

I'm not going through the BS having it replaced 5 or 6 times like everyone else does, I'm returning it now while I still can.

All of my friends that bought a 360 has had it break (pathetic, I know) but ever since they got there new unit it has worked absolutely fine.

Haoshiro
May 24, 2006, 08:48 AM
I'm going today to return it. Now I'm not sure whether I should swap it out for a new one or just get my money back. I guess it couldn't hurt swapping it out, even though I'd have to start over in oblivion, and lose the 8 hours I put into it. I'm just really annoyed that my $500 has landed me something less reliable than a equivalent priced PC. This is really the first time I've had such problems with a console, and I find it shocking, that these problems developed so quickly.

Hopefully, if they have others in stock, I won't get a dud this time.

Well I think it's the luck of the draw even with PCs. I've built many many PCs and getting one or more part arriving bad or DOA is not that uncommon... so... good luck! ;)

Dane D.
May 24, 2006, 08:50 AM
Get rid of it, get your money back and never buy anything from MS again. That company can't design a quality product. They remind me of GM, the largest manufacturer in their field, yet the worst quality and designs. I would wait for the PS3 or stick to computer gaming.

Dagless
May 24, 2006, 08:56 AM
Get rid of it, get your money back and never buy anything from Sony again. That company can't design a quality product. They remind me of Microsoft, the largest manufacturer in their field, yet the worst quality and designs. I would wait for the Wii or stick to computer gaming.

Edited for truth. Don't you know about Sony+Quality hardware? It's a joke. I purposely set out to buy a Japanese PSP because of their incredibly low dead-pixel issue, compared to the UK and US's terrible, terrible record.

MS are having the same teething problems the PS2 had with faulty lasers and system lock ups. MS are not alone.

Sutekidane
May 24, 2006, 09:48 AM
I would wait for a Wii but Nintendo's games put me to sleep. Yes, all of them. I haven't played a worthwhile Nintendo game since Ocarina of Time.

Dagless
May 24, 2006, 09:52 AM
Not even Prime?! Alright it can get slow at points but that game is near perfection. meh, suppose we all want different things.

Haoshiro
May 24, 2006, 10:21 AM
Get rid of it, get your money back and never buy anything from MS again. That company can't design a quality product. They remind me of GM, the largest manufacturer in their field, yet the worst quality and designs. I would wait for the PS3 or stick to computer gaming.

MS makes good hardware in general, actually. I have always loved my Microsoft mice/mouses and the Xbox 360 controller is excellent (using them on the 360, PC, and Mac).

Haoshiro
May 24, 2006, 10:22 AM
Edited for truth. Don't you know about Sony+Quality hardware? It's a joke. I purposely set out to buy a Japanese PSP because of their incredibly low dead-pixel issue, compared to the UK and US's terrible, terrible record.

MS are having the same teething problems the PS2 had with faulty lasers and system lock ups. MS are not alone.

I second that sentiment, good edit.

mkubal
May 24, 2006, 10:32 AM
All of my friends that bought a 360 has had it break (pathetic, I know) but ever since they got there new unit it has worked absolutely fine.

I had the same experience. Mine was freezing like crazy, but the one MS replaced it with has worked well and the DVD drive is considerably less noisy. I have, however, still experienced occasional freezes in Oblivion when playing for extended periods of time (4+ hours). I can only assume it's an issue with the game though because it ALWAYS occurs on loading screens and I haven't had freezes in other games.

I'm satisfied with MS service. I'm disappointed that it had to be replaced, but these things happen. I think you (the OP) should give another 360 a chance.

BTW, the replacement console I received was built a few months before the original I purchased.

Edit: And by "replacement" I mean refurb replacement.

Sutekidane
May 24, 2006, 10:57 AM
Okay, I got a replacement, new one in box. They swapped out the HD so I still have my old one. I cleared my cache in Oblivion. It seems to work so far, but sometimes there are long pauses in the gameplay, like while I'm walking or when I try to save. It seems like it froze, but it works after like a 5 second pause. The load times seem much longer now though. Not sure what to think, I think Oblivion has a ton of bugs, so I'm not sure what to blame.

Haoshiro
May 24, 2006, 11:16 AM
Okay, I got a replacement, new one in box. They swapped out the HD so I still have my old one. I cleared my cache in Oblivion. It seems to work so far, but sometimes there are long pauses in the gameplay, like while I'm walking or when I try to save. It seems like it froze, but it works after like a 5 second pause. The load times seem much longer now though. Not sure what to think, I think Oblivion has a ton of bugs, so I'm not sure what to blame.

Sounds like a cache problem, just hold down the A button while booting the game.

Here's the official post on the subject in the Elder Scrolls forums (http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=273721).

sushi
May 24, 2006, 11:27 AM
Or a bad batch. Although rarely, it does happen.

sam10685
May 24, 2006, 11:40 AM

if it's doing all that, return the thing, get ur money and get a Wii. the first party Nintendo games can be boring, but third parties are making much more mature gamess. nintendo even has a lot of third parties on board making games for them.

2nyRiggz
May 24, 2006, 12:09 PM
360 working fine from day one...matter of fact i never really had a problem with any console....

Still trying to figure how sony name got caught in this:confused: ....oh well

HEY! nintendo games rule!...except wario, animal crossing and other crap like that.

Bless

Haoshiro
May 24, 2006, 12:23 PM
if it's doing all that, return the thing, get ur money and get a Wii. the first party Nintendo games can be boring, but third parties are making much more mature gamess. nintendo even has a lot of third parties on board making games for them.

No, that is just a caching issue in Oblivion, not a big deal.... easy to correct.

MacRumorUser
May 24, 2006, 12:48 PM

Fanboy rubbish.

I've had to return a 360 back in december, since then it's worked perfectly.

In the 5 years I've had the ps2, I'm on my 6th due to problems with the laser.

All consoles can suffer problems, some people are very lucky and some people arent. It's life...

XNine
May 24, 2006, 12:51 PM
Still trying to figure how sony name got caught in this:confused: ....oh well

Cos people's blatent stupidity got in the way? MOST people's original PS2's are still working fine but the few who have abused it or got a bad unit make Sony out to be the devil incarnate.

I'm on my THIRD 360. That's right. THIRD. And I hate MS as much as the next guy, but the 360 is awesome and so are the games. I'm waiting for the true Halo killer: LOST PLANET. That game right there is so pretty. It makes me want to touch myself.

electronboy
May 24, 2006, 01:51 PM
there is definitely some major software/hardware issue going on. Hopefully I'll get one again when they actually work.

Keep hoping. MS has had 5 years to perfect XP and it's still a pile of junk. What makes you think the Xbox will be any different?

MacRumorUser
May 24, 2006, 02:27 PM
^^^ :rolleyes:
Find a bridge, and GET OVER IT!

Dagless
May 24, 2006, 03:07 PM
My mates had a 360 since almost launch, about December he got his. Not a problem with it!

I know there are bad batches out there. That happens from time to time. But if I bought a 360 and have it break on me I'd certainly try at least 1 more replacement before having serious doubts.

Edit: Not MRU :P a local fella. rang up "hey guess what I bought today?" "a 360?" "YES!"

risc
May 24, 2006, 03:24 PM
My 360 has been perfect from the day I got it, it's never frozen, this is the same for everyone else I know IRL that owns a 360. I was paranoid about it over heating so I chucked Project Gotham Racing in it and left it running for 2 days when I first got it, if it was going to die it was going to die then. IMHO all these people complaining about 360s just had a case of bad luck. This is no different to any other major consumer electronics launch things ship DOA you get a replacement or a refund and move on.

Haoshiro
May 24, 2006, 03:34 PM
Keep hoping. MS has had 5 years to perfect XP and it's still a pile of junk. What makes you think the Xbox will be any different?

Funny, my OS X (Tiger) still has problems too... I can't say XP really ever mistreated me before I switched, it's just not as nice nor as stable.

risc
May 24, 2006, 03:37 PM
Funny, my OS X (Tiger) still has problems too... I can't say XP really ever mistreated me before I switched, it's just not as nice nor as stable.

Oh come on you can't speak the truth here, haven't you heard Microsoft are the empire and Apple (or Nintendo - /me runs!) the rebels?

Abulia
May 24, 2006, 04:28 PM
Your particular unit has a fault if it is freezing. However, that is NOT indicitive of all Xbox 360s, in fact mine has been perfect since launch day, as are others belonging to friends and family. There is not a massive problem with the Xbox 360 - all electronic products can fail. I suggest that rather than simply 'throwing your toys out of the pram' because it froze twice, either call Microsoft and arrange a replacement, or arrange a replacement through your retailer. You will receive a new console, and I hope you have as much fun with it as I do with mine.

The hardware/software is fine. It really is. There isn't a global conspiracy, It's just you have been unlucky to receive a faulty model, just like people around the world do every day when they buy cars, computers, electronic gadgets etc etc etc.Yea, ditto.

I own about 10 games and been mowing through games via Gamefly. I play plenty of Oblivion. Zero lockups.

Make sure the 360 and the power brick have proper ventiliation. Beyond that, it certainly could be possible that you got a bad unit.

My first two Apple iMacs were DOA. All consumer electronics have problems, I fail to see why Microsoft is being held to a higher standard with the 360 since their failure rates are well within industry norms.

Best of luck!

crachoar
May 24, 2006, 04:37 PM
I am actually pretty impressed in Microsoft's "brown coffin" they sent me. It had alot of protective padding and like I said, I've yet to have a problem with it since.

Are you talking about your 'refurb' or 'new' unit that you got in return? Which did you get?

Or are you talking about the empty box they sent you to mail it back in?

If the ladder, are you kidding? There's no padding at all. It's just a cardboard wrapper that slides into a cardboard box.

Bubbasteve
May 24, 2006, 05:18 PM
If the ladder, are you kidding? There's no padding at all. It's just a cardboard wrapper that slides into a cardboard box.
Nope, I'm not kidding...I must have got a different box then you because mine is all good.

XNine
May 24, 2006, 05:26 PM
Nope, I'm not kidding...I must have got a different box then you because mine is all good.

You probably went through DHL for shipping. Before they used to use DHL, and now they use UPS with a different box. I've had both kinds of boxes as I've sent two machines back for replacement.

crachoar
May 24, 2006, 05:32 PM
Yeah, the UPS box is a joke.

I don't want to touch a refurb that is shipped in that box.

Oni, what did they ship the replacement unit in? The same kind of box, or what?

XNine
May 24, 2006, 05:40 PM
Yeah, the UPS box is a joke.

I don't want to touch a refurb that is shipped in that box.

Oni, what did they ship the replacement unit in? The same kind of box, or what?

Yeah. The DHL box was in to me, back to them, and back to me in a week and it had this foam pad brick stuff around the unit both outbound and inbound. (they also sent a hard drive on the unit when I kept mine at home, so I sold the extra one on ebay for 80 bucks within an hour of posting it).

Then the UPS took 4 days to get to me, a brown crappy box with very little support that slid into another brown plastic box, took 6 days to get back to MS and 4 days back to me.

When you're on the phone with their Customer service, DEMAND overnight shipping.

crachoar
May 24, 2006, 06:12 PM
Ok, but that still doesn't answer my question, unless you just worded it in some strange way.

What box did the replacement unit come back in? A real (protected) box? Or that same joke of a box you send it in? I'm assuming, from what you posted, it's the joke of a box they send it back in too?

I hope not?

If they think I'm going to accept a $420-something refurb console from a non-protected cardboard box, they're going to enjoy getting calls and returns from me on a daily basis.

XNine
May 24, 2006, 06:35 PM
Ok, but that still doesn't answer my question, unless you just worded it in some strange way.

What box did the replacement unit come back in? A real (protected) box? Or that same joke of a box you send it in? I'm assuming, from what you posted, it's the joke of a box they send it back in too?

I hope not?

If they think I'm going to accept a $420-something refurb console from a non-protected cardboard box, they're going to enjoy getting calls and returns from me on a daily basis.

uh, I thought I did.

The DHL box had foamy stuff. The UPS was just a brown, tight box inside another cardboard box. So...yes. The UPS box is crappy, but they generally don't refurb the units from what I understand. The ones that freeze have heat-sync issues.

crachoar
May 24, 2006, 06:45 PM
So, still, what's the deal man?

Did they send you a new 360 Premium in a Premium (sealed) box? Or did they send you back another unit in that crappy (non-protected) brown box?

Dagless
May 24, 2006, 07:13 PM
UPS, DHL... you guys should try Parcel Force! At least 2 people have been caught stealing parcels. How many do you have? I bet you don't even have 1 :P

Sutekidane
May 24, 2006, 10:19 PM
Cos people's blatent stupidity got in the way? MOST people's original PS2's are still working fine but the few who have abused it or got a bad unit make Sony out to be the devil incarnate.

I'm on my THIRD 360. That's right. THIRD. And I hate MS as much as the next guy, but the 360 is awesome and so are the games. I'm waiting for the true Halo killer: LOST PLANET. That game right there is so pretty. It makes me want to touch myself.

Open up any early PS2 system and you will see how poorly they are designed. Also, there was a class action suit against sony for purposely limiting the lifespan of electronics that they make by throwing in some fatal flaws. I believe they lost.

Anyway, I just went back to CompUSA, and they swapped out with a new one, and I kept my old HD. I just got it 5 days ago, no way I'm mailing it to MS already. I generally dislike Sony, MS, and Nintendo. The only gaming company I love is Sega, which is what I grew up with. Hopefully my new 360 will continue to work.