Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
ballmer said:
“We think we are on track for shipping early in the year. We’ve talked about the month, but we get a chance to critically assess all of the feedback we’ll get from this beta release then confirm or move [the launch date] a few weeks,” he said at a news conference in Tokyo.
"Few" must mean something different there than here.
ballmer said:
“The other thing, frankly, which we are discussing with NEC and other hardware partners is when would they really like it — early January, late January, February...".
...,March, October, early 2008...
ballmer said:
Microsoft delayed the Vista launch from November to January to avoid putting the product out during the year-end sales season when a change in PC line-ups and operating systems could cause problems for vendors.
Uh huh. Yeah. That's why.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
what does that mean for the "non consumer" versions of Vista? Why should they be not delayed?

that's bad news for developers who wanted to sell vista software and upgrades. i wonder how long they can wait?

at least here is a good chance for Linux and Apple to gain market share.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Looks like the consumer will be choosing between OS 11 and Vista Beta .1

ManchesterTrix

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2005
stubeeef said:
Looks like the consumer will be choosing between OS 11 and Vista Beta .1

How many consumers actually buy an Operating System? From my experience, it's a fairly small number, most people just buy a computer.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
ManchesterTrix said:
How many consumers actually buy an Operating System? From my experience, it's a fairly small number, most people just buy a computer.

It's sad but true. The vast majority of people who are going to buy a PC are going to do so regardless of the OS that comes installed. There will be some dropoff in sales just before the transition, but most people won't care. And most computer makers will give some sort of free upgrade anyway.

What's funny about it is that MS just can't seem to get the product out the door. And what it seems to show is that hte company may collapse of its own weight. By collapse I don't mean go away, but it will become less relevant to people as they seek alternatives (Max, linux, etc.) where they can get better control over the software/OS.

jaydub

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
So far, many of the features they've highlighted (check out the cnet video) don't seem that groundbreaking. Woo, transparent windows, I've had that for years with a small 3rd party program on windows... :p

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
dornoforpyros said:
I'm starting to wonder if Vista exist, maybe it's like Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny! It's nothing more than a children's tail! hehe
what are you trying to say?? My parents lied to meee:confused: :p

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
balamw said:
No, Beta 2 is out and receiving rave reviews (not!) from of all places MSNBC. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12932382/

Usually for MS, Beta 2 is the last one before RC1...

B
I believe that Microsoft is no longer a financial partner in MSNBC, so any perceived journalistic bias toward Microsoft is just that: Perceived. Besides, Krakow is pretty good at being even-handed about his reviews, no matter whose product he's reviewing.

And there will be many, many interim builds between Beta 2 and RC1. (There will not be a Beta 3. They don't do that.) When the builds start becoming RCs, RTM (Release to Manufacturing) will follow within a matter of a couple of weeks at most.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
I'm not anti-Microsoft, but seriously, what have they been doing since XP came out? Clearly they have been doing nothing but patching XP.

To think Vista was originally due to ship late 2002/2003, and its now going to be Q1 2007.

I can only think the offices in Redmond are full of smoke as all their programmers have been smoking crack the entire time since XP was released....

It's just as well it's a company as rich as Microsoft as no other company would get away with a new product so badly badly behind.

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2005
Denton, TX
NATO said:
I'm not anti-Microsoft, but seriously, what have they been doing since XP came out? Clearly they have been doing nothing but patching XP.

To think Vista was originally due to ship late 2002/2003, and its now going to be Q1 2007.

I can only think the offices in Redmond are full of smoke as all their programmers have been smoking crack the entire time since XP was released....

It's just as well it's a company as rich as Microsoft as no other company would get away with a new product so badly badly behind.

It gets worse the more you read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackcomb

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
clayj said:
I believe that Microsoft is no longer a financial partner in MSNBC, so any perceived journalistic bias toward Microsoft is just that: Perceived. Besides, Krakow is pretty good at being even-handed about his reviews, no matter whose product he's reviewing.
According to Wikipedia, MS still owns 18% of MSNBC on TV and still owns 50% of msnbc.com. Actually the article was pretty negative, even though it did clarify that it was still a beta.

The stuff that works on Vista seems to work well. But getting the Beta on to a computer was another matter. Installing Vista Beta 2, for me was one of the worst operating system experiences that I’ve ever encountered.

FWIW I beta tested ME, so I know how fast they usually go from Beta 2 to RC1 to RTM.

B

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
NBC wants to buy out Microsoft's share of the network, and have it run fully by the news division.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
Verto said:

Good. Lord.

That is confusing as all heck.

For instance, the "Start" philosophy, introduced in Windows 95, may be completely replaced by the "new interface" which was said in 1999 to be scheduled for "Vienna" (before being moved to Vista ("Longhorn") and then back again to "Vienna").

Wow, that was simple....:rolleyes:

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Balamw, what I meant by "even-handed" is that Krakow's not afraid to speak the truth about a product's shortcomings, even if he happens to like the company that made the product.

If Vista was perfect, BTW, it wouldn't be in Beta. So it's kinda disingenuous to say "this software ain't ready for prime time" (or words to that effect) when the maker is pretty much saying "we're still working on ironing out the kinks".

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Sorry, I was agreeing with "even handed" and responding to the perceived bias towards MS as there was none in the article.
clayj said:
If Vista was perfect, BTW, it wouldn't be in Beta. So it's kinda disingenuous to say "this software ain't ready for prime time" (or words to that effect) when the maker is pretty much saying "we're still working on ironing out the kinks".
Note that I first experienced ME from Beta 1 and XP from Beta 2. In the first case I was a real beta tester, in the second I got a public release from MSDN without being a beta tester. Neither of those experiences, both fraught with plenty of not ready for prime time issues you'd expect from a beta, would have prompted me to refer to them as "the worst OS experience ever" or as "a train wreck" as Paul Thurrott (who does usually have a pro-MS bias) called the WinHEC preview of Vista. I know that Thurrott has since softened his stance, but it is still somewhat shocking.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.