PDA

View Full Version : Apple Trademarks 'Mac Pro' in U.S.

MacRumors
May 24, 2006, 06:35 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple previously (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/01/20060130215832.shtml) trademarked the term "Mac Pro" in New Zealand in late 2005. On May 17th 2006, the same name was trademarked through the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office under the following classifications:

computers; computer hardware; computer software; computer peripherals; notebook computers; laptop computers; tablet computers; computer servers; handheld computers; mobile computers; hard drives; audio speakers; speakers for computers; personal digital assistants; electronic organizers; electronic notepads; magnetic data carriers; computer gaming machines; microprocessors; memories boards; monitors; displays; keyboards; computer input devices; computer cables; modems; printers; parts and accessories for all the aforesaid goods

This appears to add further evidence that Apple may be considering changing the name of the PowerMac to "Mac Pro" in the near future. Apple rebranded the PowerBook in January to the "MacBook Pro" and subsequently dropped the iBook name in favor of "MacBook".

Steve Jobs had indicated that they were moving away from the "Power" name when the MacBook Pro was first announced:

It's a new name [MacBook Pro] because we're kinda done with 'Power' and because we want 'Mac' in the name of our products."

EricNau
May 24, 2006, 06:36 PM
It makes perfect sense.

appleguru1
May 24, 2006, 06:38 PM
Indeed it makes sense... Don't really like the new names all that much though.

Unorthodox
Does this mean their going to make computer called "Mac"?
--Laptops
MacBook
MacBook Pro
--Desktops
Mac Pro
Mac (previously known as "iMac")
Mac mini

rye9
Indeed it makes sense... Don't really like the new names all that much though.

Me neither, but they do grow on me. :D

celebrian23
I know Jobs wants macs in the names...but does anyone else think they don't roll of the tongue the same way as the old names?

Chaszmyr
I personally think "ProMac" flows better than "Mac Pro," but whatever.

joepunk
May 24, 2006, 06:40 PM
I couldn't think of any other name to call whatever Apple is calling it.

Iyan
May 24, 2006, 06:41 PM
than MacPro.

poppe
May 24, 2006, 06:45 PM
--Laptops
MacBook
MacBook Pro
--Desktops
Mac Pro
Mac mini

I really hope they do because it kinda feels like there is a desktop missing... I know there is the iMac but... it feels to consumer oriented... I kinda want that middle ground between the G5 and the iMac.. maybe the GMac. Just kidding.

But more so something that is tower like with upgradibility and a higher processor than the iMac but not a workstation processor like the G5.

berkleeboy210
May 24, 2006, 06:46 PM

When I first saw this thread a minutes ago I thought the exact same thing. - It will still have Mac in its name. - MacPro just doesn't sound right.

Motley
May 24, 2006, 06:48 PM
--Laptops
MacBook
MacBook Pro
--Desktops
Mac Pro
Mac mini

I assume they'd keep iMac simply because of name recognition. Now if they had a cheapo tower that was better than a Mac Mini, not as good as a Mac Pro (or as expensive), and lacking the screen of an iMac and called it simply Mac I'd be happy.

edit: Evidentially poppe and I had the same thought

thejadedmonkey
May 24, 2006, 06:49 PM
Probably just Apple covering it's butt with all the copywrite crap going on anymore....but that gut instinct tells me it's the new name :(

m-dogg
May 24, 2006, 06:53 PM
sigh. I had a feeling this would be coming...

razzmatazz
I assume they'd keep iMac simply because of name recognition. Now if they had a cheapo tower that was better than a Mac Mini, not as good as a Mac Pro (or as expensive), and lacking the screen of an iMac and called it simply Mac I'd be happy.

I think that would cause confusion

"I got a Mac"..."Which one?"..."No, I have the Mac"

I don't like the idea...

ifjake
What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet.

j-a-x
May 24, 2006, 06:56 PM
makes sense to me!

poppe
May 24, 2006, 06:56 PM

I don't like the idea...

Haha i never thought about it that way... still maybe they could call it umm...
MacTop (Mac + Desktop)... pretty lame... oh well i'm not creative enough for it...

sam10685
May 24, 2006, 06:57 PM
maybe it'll have 5 duo core's. ...and use liquid nitrogen to cool it.

razzmatazz
May 24, 2006, 06:59 PM

with up to 32 gigabytes of RAM? :D

poppe
May 24, 2006, 07:00 PM

Or how about one of those computers that uses spinning atoms or what ever? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Mac Pro is gonna have 1024 MB Vcard with Blue ray and HD DVD for sure:cool:

Motley
May 24, 2006, 07:01 PM

I don't like the idea...

Vanilla Mac

R3z
May 24, 2006, 07:03 PM
You will never,
never,
never hear anyone in marketing use that phrase.
Never.

NewSc2
May 24, 2006, 07:05 PM
When I first saw this thread a minutes ago I thought the exact same thing. - It will still have Mac in its name. - MacPro just doesn't sound right.

Really, all these names sound like something from "MacDonalds"...

I'd like a Big Mac!

EDIT: and yeah, I kinda like the way Powerbook rolls off the tongue instead of Mac-Book-Pro.

May 24, 2006, 07:09 PM
NOOOOO!!!!

I like PowerMac

I know Jobs said we're done with power, but that was about the G4 chip kind of power (watts and voltage) , now the top of the line Apple's have the other kind of Power(extreme, tough, and great).

But Apple really is missing that middle ground desktop. the one that allows for user upgrades, is stunning in design, but is still headless. A computer that is powerful but not quite professional grade, or prosumer as some call this type of product The one that I think many would buy, the type of people who think the iMac is not enough for them, while the PowerMac is just too expensive and hulking)

Ahh.... let the rumors about the "Mac" begin!!!

celebrian23
May 24, 2006, 07:09 PM
That's not a bad idea! The powermac shall be dubbed the BigMac. Awesome I say. I think it's just that the letter i (ibook, imac) and power (powerbook obviously) are sounds that roll on the tongue while mac has a somewhat harsh quality to it with that hard c

nsjoker
May 24, 2006, 07:11 PM

yea i agree, although it rhymes a lot with "prozac" :rolleyes:

this naming scheme is quite crappy. i do like macbook though, not pro.

asherman13
May 24, 2006, 07:17 PM
the PowerMac => the Mac Pro

the PowerBook => the MacBook Pro

the iBook => MacBook

My guess: the iMac => the Mac

I mean, I know they've had the "Macintosh", but never just the "Mac". Right?

celebrian23
May 24, 2006, 07:20 PM
I agree just "mac" is too confusing. I'd be surprised if the imac changed names. I mean, if they were going to change it's name, it makes sense they would have changed it with the switch to intel

fawlty
May 24, 2006, 07:20 PM

the iBook => MacBook

Er, the intel consumer machine is already here, and it's called the iMac.

nxent
May 24, 2006, 07:26 PM
dunno why everyone's acting surprised... nor do i know why this is worthy of macrumors front page...

teejaysplace
May 24, 2006, 07:27 PM
I get where they're going with this from a marketing standpoint, and while I don't much care for the new names, I think everyone pretty much saw this one coming. The one thing I don't get is why they didn't drop the iMac monkier outright? Name regonition or not, it would seem that the lower case i's days are numbered, as far as computing products are concerned. (Incidenly, I feel a few twinges of sadness in this, as I'm acually typing this on a computer with the word "iMac" proudly emblazened on the back.) If the purpose of all this Mac(Name) business is to move away from "power" and simeltaneously achieve a sense of uniformity among products, then it makes little sense to hang onto the iMac name out of sentimantality. If Apple stays the course on this, I have a feeling that the next incarnation of the iMac may be marketed simply as the "Mac". In other words The Mac...

In terms of a stragegic plan, that actually makes perfect sense. In so doing, Apple would be branding the beloved iMac as it's flagship product, so to speak. Seeing as how 1.) The iMac is probably the most revolutionary desktop since the original Macintosh and 2.) The iMac is definately the best personal computer on the market today, it wouldn't second-guess Apple if they decided to elect the iMac as it's poster child.

That also works from a sales point of few, as Apple likely wants to see the future iMac outsell the future MacPro. With the PowerMac, they've already got a good chunk of the professional market cornered. (I've never met a professional PowerMac user whose considered switching to anything else. In other words, Apple isn't likely to loose their share of PowerMac users anytime soon.) If sales of iMac continue to increase, however, that suggests that more consumers are being converted, and that's always a welcome stat.

-T ;)

Stridder44
May 24, 2006, 07:29 PM
A healthy change. It makes a heck of a lot more sense than PowerMac, iBook, Powerbook, iComputer/Device/PottedPlant/Cheese/Random. Hopefully no complainers will whine this thread to death...

And no I don't see iMac being dropped anytime soon. Apple is known for the iMac (old, new, etc., the image is stuck.....like the iPod). I'd be very surprised if they did.

idkfa
May 24, 2006, 07:30 PM
Since Steve n' Apple seem to be cruising along and, in my opinion, taking away an awesome set of names (probably for the best though), has anyone thought about what the iPod would be called if it had to conform to the "Mac" pre/suffix?

MacPod?
PodMac?
ApplePod?

I think that the lower case "i" has become too good of a marketting base to just retire...

Chaszmyr
May 24, 2006, 07:33 PM

the iBook => MacBook

They changed iBook to MacBook to get "Mac" in the name. Expect the iMac to stay the iMac, cuz it has "Mac" in the name, and it will sound familiar to PC iPod users.

iJawn108
May 24, 2006, 07:35 PM
Or how about one of those computers that uses spinning atoms or what ever? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Quantum Computers.

Doctor Q
May 24, 2006, 07:36 PM
They use Final Cut Pro vs. Final Cut Express for software. Would "express" ever apply to hardware? It seems odd, but then again "Mac mini" seemed odd when we first heard it.

However, I like "iMac" much better than either "Mac" alone or "Mac Express" and "iMac" fits so nicely with iLife, iWork, etc.

nagromme
May 24, 2006, 07:36 PM
PowerMac was a fine name. So is Mac Pro. I'd care more if the name actually APPEARED on the product in any apparent location, which it currently does not :)

appleguru1
May 24, 2006, 07:40 PM
No, iMac is here to stay.. the Power moniker is gone bacause macs no longer use PowerPC processors... And we get this "mac pro" stuff because X86 Mac just doesn't sound cool :P

(Yes, I know powerbooks were around prior to powerpcs.. but the powermac line was introduced along with ppc processors, and the name has since been associated with the processor)

quigleybc
May 24, 2006, 07:44 PM
Really, all these names sound like something from "MacDonalds"...

I'd like a Big Mac!

EDIT: and yeah, I kinda like the way Powerbook rolls off the tongue instead of Mac-Book-Pro.

ya they do...

Big Mac would be a funny name.....

briansolomon
May 24, 2006, 07:55 PM
But more so something that is tower like with upgradibility and a higher processor than the iMac but not a workstation processor like the G5.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT.

A consumer tower with dedicated everything including upgradeability. You rock

smooth operator
May 24, 2006, 07:58 PM
Am I the only one that read the devices for that copyright?
It states "tablet computers, monitors, displays.."
Tablet computer??? That's interesting...I would love to see that. I'm guessing with the same technology the ipod video would have with the touch sensitive UI.
Also...I didn't think of it but...Apple hasn't updated thier lcd's in a while. I wonder if they will during WWDC. I'm guessing they will to suit the new desktops. But I wonder what kind of technology it will feature.

As for the branding names...they should've called the new desktops "TowerMac" + " TowerMac Pro". T replaces the P...and still rolls of the tongue nicely.
Either way WWDC is going to be interesting to see. Can't wait.
Also looking forward to the re-freshing of the macbook pros at 3ghz core 2 duo with nvidia chips hopefully! Only then will I consider a macbook pro.

celebrian23
May 24, 2006, 07:59 PM
I agree with those sentiments. Something inbetween the imac and the powermac with a tower would be awesome beyond belief. Not for me, but it'd be freaking sweet.

EDIT: towermac is amazing. You are a genius

Counter
May 24, 2006, 08:02 PM
New names are crap but whatever.

Bet they don't change the iPod to the MacPod.

portent
May 24, 2006, 08:07 PM
"Mac Book," "Mac Pro" and especially "Mac Book Pro" will never sound right, at least to English speakers. Why? Too many "stop consonants," too close together.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_consonant

That's the linguistic way of saying of, "It just doesn't flow." The air flowing out of your mouth actually has to stop as you pronounce it. It also explains why "Pro Mac" sounds better than "Mac Pro."

muffinman
May 24, 2006, 08:17 PM
i wonder what imacs will be called.....oops wait. they have 'mac' the name. my bad...:D

swarmster
May 24, 2006, 08:19 PM
Just wake me when the MacBook mini comes out.

Although I would like to see what the Mac Pro cases are going to look like...

DakotaGuy
May 24, 2006, 08:35 PM
As long as there is an iPod...there will be an iMac. Calling it a Mac would be silly because everything they build is a Mac.

I tend to agree with the crowd that thinks PowerMac is better then Mac Pro. I know they want to leave all traces of the PowerPC chip behind, but there is something macho about saying I have a PowerMac. Sounds powerful and ready to crush the competition. I also agree with post #45 that the names just don't flow right. I could not figure out why, but after reading your post now I see the reason.

toughboy
May 24, 2006, 09:11 PM
As long as there is an iPod...there will be an iMac. Calling it a Mac would be silly because everything they build is a Mac.

I tend to agree with the crowd that thinks PowerMac is better then Mac Pro. I know they want to leave all traces of the PowerPC chip behind, but there is something macho about saying I have a PowerMac. Sounds powerful and ready to crush the competition. I also agree with post #45 that the names just don't flow right. I could not figure out why, but after reading your post now I see the reason.

+1

p0intblank
May 24, 2006, 09:22 PM
We all saw this coming. :)

sam10685
May 24, 2006, 09:26 PM

it better still have DVD burning capabilities.

Nar1117
May 24, 2006, 09:30 PM

Right on brotha'

Its whats under the hood that counts ;)

kalisphoenix
May 24, 2006, 09:36 PM
Personally,

(I know you all have been waiting to hear my verdict)

I've always liked SGI's approach. They don't have many different models at a given point in time, but each one stands out. Indy, Indigo, Iris, Fuel, Tezro, Octane, et cetera.

Why wouldn't Apple do the same thing? The Cat theme has obviously worked well for OS X. "OS X Tiger." Or just "Tiger" when we already know what is being discussed, or Panthera tigris if you're an *******.

Why not pick a theme and go with it for the machines? Mythology is a fertile field. Two cores? Gemini. Three cores? Cerberus. Up to 128 hot-swappable cores? Hydra.

Or something that (according to heathen Apple detractors) personifies the Apple crowd in a way with which we can more easily identify? The Mac Double-Grandé Lattécino? Or, for those still into the PPC scene, the Mac'swell House?

We can use the I Ching. Or expressive phrases: the Mac Thuper-Duper! the Mac Daddy! the MacHeath, He's a Sailor! The Brecht reference might be particularly welcome to a group of people rapidly losing their superiority complex.

I liked codenames and still do. Who doesn't get excited at the thought of an original Butt-Headed Astronomer sitting on their desk? Or the always roomy and delectably lickable Yosemite? What Apple can do is make these codenames more of a public reference system. Powerbook G3 series? iMac Intel early 2006? WTF? No! We need the Dual Keira, the Winona Pro, the MadeleineStoweBook for old Road Warriors, and the, uh, whatever women and gay men look for in a sex object.

Seriously! iMac? Mac Pro? MacBook? MacBook Pro? Mac Mini? That's the most sterile, uninteresting, uninspired **** I've ever heard of. Perhaps we can rename associate's and Ph.D's to Degree Mini and Degree Pro while we're at it! He's not well-hung, that's a Penis Pro! That kid isn't microcephalic, he's simply stuck with a Cranium Mini!

I feel like it's a restriction placed on how I can describe my computer to another person. It makes no difference to me -- I know Orion, just like I know Neptune and Lilith et al. But when I respond to the question "What kind of computer do you have?" I feel immediately confusing. "It's an iMac early 2006. The twenty inch, with the 256MB RAM. No, not the G5, the Core Duo. Yes, Intel. Oh, uh, it runs OS X. Well, it's white and weird-looking. No, I mean--" and so on.

This isn't a "grab Kalisphoenix, he's foaming at the mouth" sort of thing. I'm just saying that this minimalist naming scheme seems rather dissonant with the "Every Mac model is a tribe of its own, separate from other Macs that preceded and followed it, with its unique strengths and weaknesses" thing that is attractive to me about Apples. For instance, the Yosemite. Very odd machine. Poopy IDE controllers in the first batch. Firewire, but no target disk mode or firewire booting. And so on. If you say, however, a Powerbook G3, I say "G3 or G3 Series?" And 99% of the time, the person says, "Uh, it's a black one. With a G3, whatever that means. It's like the 3rd Powerbook they made or something."

P.S. I mean, God! Lamborghini names their cars after friggin' cows! And they sound great! Let's pick a language and take names from their cows! Anything! God! Orwell was right! Pretty soon we'll have the GoodMac, the DoubleGoodMac, and the DoublePlusGoodMac! ****!

ramdayz
May 24, 2006, 09:51 PM
ipod -> imac
ipod mini -> Mac mini
ipod nano -> ???? :D :D

solowCX
May 24, 2006, 09:55 PM
They use Final Cut Pro vs. Final Cut Express for software. Would "express" ever apply to hardware? It seems odd, but then again "Mac mini" seemed odd when we first heard it.

However, I like "iMac" much better than either "Mac" alone or "Mac Express" and "iMac" fits so nicely with iLife, iWork, etc.

Forgetting about the AirPort Express? Although that isn't a Mac product, is hardware nonetheless.

knackroller
May 24, 2006, 09:55 PM
ipod nano -> Mac PDA/PDA-Phone (MacPro nano)

ipod -> imac
ipod mini -> Mac mini
ipod nano -> ???? :D :D

May 24, 2006, 09:59 PM
EDIT: towermac is amazing. You are a genius

Towermac is the most utterly cheesy thing I've heard in a long time.

And as far as all this "I want a tower between the iMac and the Mac Pro"...forget about it. Not. Going. To. Happen. You want a Headless machine that's not the Mac Mini? Buy a Mac Pro. End of story. Too expensive for you? You'll be able to buy it when you get a job after college. Or after you get out of High School and then go to College and then get a job.

stephen jobs
May 24, 2006, 10:02 PM
i like xMac
sorta like xserv but mac. maybe thats what the next server will be called, but to me it has the connotation of a revolutionary mac desktop

Personally,

I've always liked SGI's approach. They don't have many different models at a given point in time, but each one stands out. Indy, Indigo, Iris, Fuel, Tezro, Octane, et cetera.

Why wouldn't Apple do the same thing? The Cat theme has obviously worked well for OS X. "OS X Tiger." Or just "Tiger" when we already know what is being discussed, or Panthera tigris if you're an *******.

Why not pick a theme and go with it for the machines? Mythology is a fertile field. Two cores? Gemini. Three cores? Cerberus. Up to 128 hot-swappable cores? Hydra.

Or something that (according to heathen Apple detractors) personifies the Apple crowd in a way with which we can more easily identify? The Mac Double-Grandé Lattécino? Or, for those still into the PPC scene, the Mac'swell House?

We can use the I Ching. Or expressive phrases: the Mac Thuper-Duper! the Mac Daddy! the MacHeath, He's a Sailor! The Brecht reference might be particularly welcome to a group of people rapidly losing their superiority complex.

I liked codenames and still do. Who doesn't get excited at the thought of an original Butt-Headed Astronomer sitting on their desk? Or the always roomy and delectably lickable Yosemite? What Apple can do is make these codenames more of a public reference system. Powerbook G3 series? iMac Intel early 2006? WTF? No! We need the Dual Keira, the Winona Pro, the MadeleineStoweBook for old Road Warriors, and the, uh, whatever women and gay men look for in a sex object.

Seriously! iMac? Mac Pro? MacBook? MacBook Pro? Mac Mini? That's the most sterile, uninteresting, uninspired **** I've ever heard of. Perhaps we can rename associate's and Ph.D's to Degree Mini and Degree Pro while we're at it! He's not well-hung, that's a Penis Pro! That kid isn't microcephalic, he's simply stuck with a Cranium Mini!

I feel like it's a restriction placed on how I can describe my computer to another person. It makes no difference to me -- I know Orion, just like I know Neptune and Lilith et al. But when I respond to the question "What kind of computer do you have?" I feel immediately confusing. "It's an iMac early 2006. The twenty inch, with the 256MB RAM. No, not the G5, the Core Duo. Yes, Intel. Oh, uh, it runs OS X. Well, it's white and weird-looking. No, I mean--" and so on.

This isn't a "grab Kalisphoenix, he's foaming at the mouth" sort of thing. I'm just saying that this minimalist naming scheme seems rather dissonant with the "Every Mac model is a tribe of its own, separate from other Macs that preceded and followed it, with its unique strengths and weaknesses" thing that is attractive to me about Apples. For instance, the Yosemite. Very odd machine. Poopy IDE controllers in the first batch. Firewire, but no target disk mode or firewire booting. And so on. If you say, however, a Powerbook G3, I say "G3 or G3 Series?" And 99% of the time, the person says, "Uh, it's a black one. With a G3, whatever that means. It's like the 3rd Powerbook they made or something."

P.S. I mean, God! Lamborghini names their cars after friggin' cows! And they sound great! Let's pick a language and take names from their cows! Anything! God! Orwell was right! Pretty soon we'll have the GoodMac, the DoubleGoodMac, and the DoublePlusGoodMac! ****!

You need to cut back on the dosage of meds you're taking. See your doctor.

celebrian23
Calm down! I didn't say an "in-between" tower would be realistic, just a nice intermediate peice. I know it will never happen. And I really like towermac. It rolls so much nicer.

Stridder44
May 24, 2006, 10:09 PM
Tablet computer??? That's interesting...I would love to see that. I'm guessing with the same technology the ipod video would have with the touch sensitive UI.
Also...I didn't think of it but...Apple hasn't updated thier lcd's in a while. I wonder if they will during WWDC. I'm guessing they will to suit the new desktops. But I wonder what kind of technology it will feature.

As for the branding names...they should've called the new desktops "TowerMac" + " TowerMac Pro". T replaces the P...and still rolls of the tongue nicely.
Also looking forward to the re-freshing of the macbook pros at 3ghz core 2 duo with nvidia chips hopefully! Only then will I consider a macbook pro.

Im sure theyre just covering all their bases......lawsuits are a @#%&!

weitzner
May 24, 2006, 10:10 PM
ok so we've got a name, now bring out the machine!

Stridder44
May 24, 2006, 10:10 PM
You need to cut back on the dosage of meds you're taking. See your doctor.

Amen. Thank you. It's just a name people. You think the name is what we all think sounds bad? You should listen to your complaining/arguments!

nummy1
May 24, 2006, 10:17 PM
--Laptops
MacBook
MacBook Pro
--Desktops
Mac Pro
Mac mini

Don't see why they wouldn't keep the iMac name... That is the computer that jump started apple in the late 90s... no reason to change...

reyesmac
May 24, 2006, 10:24 PM
Unless the Mac Pro (Ugh) is dirt cheap and the best thing since sliced bread I don't think I will feel comfortable saying its new name. I started using Macs when the G3 was brand new, thats all I know. If they are willing to change the name they better change the look of it and what it can do. If the laptops can get motion sensors, cameras, new plugs, and other capabilities, the new Mac better have a few new things in it other than an intel chip and some fans.

Multimedia
May 24, 2006, 10:26 PM
I Approve The Mac Pro Moniker. :D

Bring on the Quads. ;)Unless the Mac Pro (Ugh) is dirt cheap and the best thing since sliced bread I don't think I will feel comfortable saying its new name. I started using Macs when the G3 was brand new, thats all I know. If they are willing to change the name they better change the look of it and what it can do. If the laptops can get motion sensors, cameras, new plugs, and other capabilities, the new Mac better have a few new things in it other than an intel chip and some fans.All I care about is speed. I would just as soon they keep the old grill case. I love it. Just give me a faster Quad please. August 7 San Francisco WWDC SteveNote at the latest.

NVRsayNVR
May 24, 2006, 10:28 PM

I'm with you Chasz although I REALLY like the PowerMac moniker the best.
ProMac sounds a little like ProZac (maybe with similar calming effects?) but it's better sounding then MacPro which just sounds weird to me AND are you an amateur if you have less?

In the end, whatever they call it I am sure we will all like it in time.

"Think Alike... BE Different!"

iAlan
May 24, 2006, 10:31 PM
I know it has been said, but i will say anway...(and sory I have not read all the posts)

Pro laptop - MacBook Pro
Consumer laptop - MacBook

Pro desktop (no built in screen) - Mac Pro
Consume desktop (with screen) - iMac
Consumer desktop (no built in screen) - Mac Mini

Now, a Prosumer model between the Mac Mini and Mac Pro would be a good line extension. But what to call it...Mac ?

I think Apple will do this if the Mac Mini ends up being positioned as the 'digital media hub' - there is demand for something more powerful

Oh, and I don't know how to search for patent and copywrite info, so don't know if Apple has other names out there...

absurdio
May 24, 2006, 10:39 PM
I get where they're going with this from a marketing standpoint, and while I don't much care for the new names, I think everyone pretty much saw this one coming. The one thing I don't get is why they didn't drop the iMac monkier outright? Name regonition or not, it would seem that the lower case i's days are numbered, as far as computing products are concerned. (Incidenly, I feel a few twinges of sadness in this, as I'm acually typing this on a computer with the word "iMac" proudly emblazened on the back.) If the purpose of all this Mac(Name) business is to move away from "power" and simeltaneously achieve a sense of uniformity among products, then it makes little sense to hang onto the iMac name out of sentimantality. If Apple stays the course on this, I have a feeling that the next incarnation of the iMac may be marketed simply as the "Mac". In other words The Mac...

Damn. I can't wait until they Come out with MacPod Video, Nano, and Shuffle. Oh, and MacTunes, and MacLife, and MacMovie HD, and MacPhoto, and MacWeb, and MacChat AV, and on and on and on...

I know you specified "computing products" (among which I guess we're not including iPods or software), but I'm not really convinced that the "i(suffix)" theme is at an end.

Plus, as a hundred other people have said, the name "Mac" would be just too ambiguous. I don't think they'll name one computer a "Mac" when everything in their product line can rightly be referred to as a "Mac". I doubt this is the death knell of the iName scheme. Like it or not, iSuspect the iMacs are staying.

ImAlwaysRight
May 24, 2006, 10:41 PM
Yep, knew this was coming. Resistance is futile. Those of you that don't want the name change would get along real well with some folks in my church that don't want to change anything either. :p

I can't wait until they Come out with MacPod Video, Nano, and Shuffle. Oh, and MacTunes, and MacLife, and MacMovie HD, and MacPhoto, and MacWeb, and MacChat AV, and on and on and on...
That's right, EVERYONE DRINK THE KOOL-AID AND EVERYTHING WILL BE O.K. Or else you'll have to buddy up with the dude on macosrumors who still thinks an iBook revision is coming. :rolleyes:

emaja
May 24, 2006, 10:41 PM

Exactly.

While we here know that the company is "Apple" and the nickname for the computer they make is "Mac" a lot of people think that they company is called "Mac." If they changed the name of the iMac to plain old Mac, it would be silly.

I hate car analogies, but it would be like Ford coming out with a new model named "Car."

BlueCynicalMoon
May 24, 2006, 10:45 PM
Dimension, XPS, Inspiron, and all the names Dull has used, MacPro works for me. It's not like Steve had this 30 year itch to call it the Apple II iPro, the Apple II06, or any other version of the 2. If it runs the pro apps I want, I could care less what they call it.:D Just bring it out, along with that Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro. :)

DevilDog
May 24, 2006, 10:49 PM
Yo, I HATE the way everybody is ripping off the 'i' prefix. Heck, I even saw an advertisment for a frickin' washing machine with 'iWash.' That's just stupid! Why can't people come up with their own ideas?

Some_Big_Spoon
May 24, 2006, 10:55 PM
No, they absolutely don't.

I think they're hoping the faithful will grow accustomed and the newbies won't know the difference. The new names are clunky and, frankly, pretty unoriginal.

Bring back the Quadra! :-D

I know Jobs wants macs in the names...but does anyone else think they don't roll of the tongue the same way as the old names?

ImAlwaysRight
May 24, 2006, 10:56 PM
Yo, I HATE the way everybody is ripping off the 'i' prefix. Heck, I even saw an advertisment for a frickin' washing machine with 'iWash.' That's just stupid! Why can't people come up with their own ideas?
Yo, I SUPPOSE because it is much easier to copy other people. Heck, I can even see myself doing that in this frickin' response. And I feel stupid! Why can't I just come up with an original message instead of always quoting people and then replying?

absurdio
May 24, 2006, 10:57 PM
Yep, knew this was coming. Resistance is futile. Those of you that don't want the name change would get along real well with some folks in my church that don't want to change anything either. :p

That's right, EVERYONE DRINK THE KOOL-AID AND EVERYTHING WILL BE O.K. Or else you'll have to buddy up with the dude on macosrumors who still thinks an iBook revision is coming. :rolleyes:

Now now. don't conflate my doubts that the iNames will change with my unwillingness to see them change. I think the iTheme is outmoded and a bit irritating, actually. I don't see why every application has to start with an i. I really don't. In fact, I'd rather they didn't. I'm not opposed to change, I'm just afraid the juggernaut of momentum behind the iProducts is probably not going to be stopped any time soon.

illegalprelude
May 24, 2006, 11:04 PM
I also agree with the notion that it will be sad to see the name PowerMac desapear. It always sounded so ahead of its time. Instead of XPS and the 1740n, I own a PowerMac

aitikin
May 24, 2006, 11:32 PM
What about the XServe? I hear all this talk about the PowerMac, but if they want Mac in the name of everything, don't they need to change the name of the XServes?

xPismo
May 24, 2006, 11:43 PM
...I would just as soon they keep the old grill case. I love it. Just give me a faster Quad please...

Really? I always thought the cheeze grater cases were a bit of a cop out. Not much design really. Just the mass air flow required to keep those IBM toasters from melting away. Personally, I'd like to see a case with a bit of flair and flash along with cool innovations like the hinged door on the old G4's.

Yup. Still, I'm a portable man nowadays... so what do I know. I doubt I'll be purchasing a desktop/tower for personal use any time in the near future. The powerbooks are just to fast. :D

ibjoshua
May 24, 2006, 11:54 PM
I guess the iMac will now be just the Mac huh? Or maybe the Mac Ama[teur]? Or the Mac Con[sumer]?

Is it just me or is this renaming dumb?

ibjoshua

milatchi
May 25, 2006, 12:00 AM
Personally I think they should have kept the name iBook, and I think they should keep the name iMac.

thejadedmonkey
May 25, 2006, 12:15 AM
Personally,

I've always liked SGI's approach. ..........Why not pick a theme and go with it for the machines? Mythology is a fertile field. Two cores? Gemini. Three cores? Cerberus. Up to 128 hot-swappable cores? Hydra.

I got rid of some of the less important parts, but I really agree with everything you posted. There should be a MacPro Gemini and a MacPro Cerberus...at least. Keeping the PowerMac prefix instead of a MacPro prefix would be even better though!

Cats for OS
Mythilogical creatures for pro hardware
i for consumer apps and pods
Presidents for the portable lineup

<rant>Then there's the iPhone, which is really the eye phone, a reference to the eye in the Lord of the Rings.

Maybe it's time I get to bed...

P.S....The MacDoublePlusPro doesn't have a bad ring to it either.

thejadedmonkey
May 25, 2006, 12:16 AM
Personally I think they should have kept the name iBook, and I think they should keep the name iMac.
The iBook could have gone, but the PowerBook should have stayed. The PowerMac better not turn Mac Pro..:mad:

Will_reed
May 25, 2006, 12:27 AM
why dont they "suprise" us and call it the macintosh.

p0intblank
May 25, 2006, 12:50 AM
I guess the iMac will now be just the Mac huh? Or maybe the Mac Ama[teur]? Or the Mac Con[sumer]?

Is it just me or is this renaming dumb?

ibjoshua

Some people will never understand this! :(

The iMac was one of the first Macs to receive the Intel upgrade. Therefore, the name iMac is remaining how it is. Why? Because the name Mac was already there to begin with, unlike PowerBook and iBook. Notice how the PowerBook became the MacBook Pro? iBook is now MacBook... and soon the Power Mac will become the Mac Pro.

Following?

DakotaGuy
May 25, 2006, 01:16 AM
I hate car analogies, but it would be like Ford coming out with a new model named "Car."

Hey I hate them too...but yours is the first one in a LONG time that made me laugh out loud. Imagine the conversation, Person A "By the way, what do you drive?" Response from Person B, "Well I drive a Ford Car." Person A, "What model of Ford car do you drive?" Person B, "I drive a Ford and the model is Car." Person A, "So you mean you drive a Ford car which is a car?" Person B, "Yeah, something like that.":)

Vaphoron
May 25, 2006, 01:21 AM
The PowerMac better not turn Mac Pro..:mad:

Thank god someone agrees with me. Dropping the Power Mac name for something like Mac Pro is just pathetic. Mac Pro is just so generic, weak, short and uninspired. I'm not completely against a name change, but please not Mac Pro!!

Multimedia
May 25, 2006, 01:59 AM
Thank god someone agrees with me. Dropping the Power Mac name for something like Mac Pro is just pathetic. Mac Pro is just so generic, weak, short and uninspired. I'm not completely against a name change, but please not Mac Pro!!Well the name may be weak but this summer's Quad - Woodcrest pairs - and next spring's Oct Core 2 processors - Kentsfield pairs - will be far more powerful than any of the PowerMacs ever were. And Power by any other name is still Power. :p

guerro
May 25, 2006, 02:17 AM
What about the Apple reseller called..... MacPro ??

http://www.mac-pro.com/

I guess this just means more job security for Apple Legal. :rolleyes:

psionic001
May 25, 2006, 02:24 AM

The iMac was one of the first Macs to receive the Intel upgrade. Therefore, the name iMac is remaining how it is. Why? Because the name Mac was already there to begin with, unlike PowerBook and iBook. Notice how the PowerBook became the MacBook Pro? iBook is now MacBook... and soon the Power Mac will become the Mac Pro.

Following?

So following your line of thought, a desktop system should be known as a "ProMac Pro"
:D :p

iMeowbot
May 25, 2006, 02:30 AM
So following your line of thought, a desktop system should be known as a "ProMac Pro"
:D :p
Or rather, MacMac Pro, and the mini could be renamed MacMac to complete the set!

Loge
May 25, 2006, 02:35 AM

You mean something like this ;)

http://www.ford.co.uk/ka

mozmac
May 25, 2006, 02:49 AM
I, for one, do not like any of the new names. MacBook, MacBook Pro, and Mac Pro. It sounds like they came out of the 80's. It surprises me that that's the best Apple could come up with. Powerbook and Power Mac rolled off the tongue so well. AND it made them sound so cool. If I could choose between owning a Power Mac or a Mac Pro, I'd definitely go with the Power Mac, because the name denotes a much more professional computer. "Mac Pro" makes me think of a Mac ii.

PLEASE COME UP WITH A BETTER NAME THAN "Mac Pro."

MB Buyer?
May 25, 2006, 02:59 AM
The power macs should be renamed BigMac :)

bigandy
May 25, 2006, 03:37 AM
i really hope it doesn't change. i love the name PowerMac, it just needs to be big and fast, and eat PCs for breakfast. instead of that, the MacPro has tea and crumpets with the PCs.

meh.

Hey I hate them too...but yours is the first one in a LONG time that made me laugh out loud. Imagine the conversation, Person A "By the way, what do you drive?" Response from Person B, "Well I drive a Ford Car." Person A, "What model of Ford car do you drive?" Person B, "I drive a Ford and the model is Car." Person A, "So you mean you drive a Ford car which is a car?" Person B, "Yeah, something like that.":)

we have the Ford Ka in europe, it's been around since 1994. and it still gets laughed at. and rightly so. it's awful.

tad44
May 25, 2006, 03:42 AM
How about:
Middle range consumer desktop: Mac Cube
Desktop for Biz: Mac Station

Clive At Five
May 25, 2006, 04:04 AM
I agree with the majority that "MacPro" is an awful name. The iMac seems all alone too... As unlikely as it is, maybe Apple will settle for iMacPro.

Everything about this reminds me of a Mitch Hedberg joke (or two):

I've got 'do not disturb' sign on my hotel door [...] we need to embrace the contraction. "Don't disturb." "Do not" psyches you out: "Do," alright I get to disturb this guy, "not," SH**! (I need to read faster!)

Take the MacBookPro for example... it psyches you out thrice!

"I own a Mac" (cool, a mac owner) "Book" (cool, a mac laptop owner), "Pro" (cool, a loaded mac laptop owner).

Maybe Apple is doing this just to screw with us and instead will come up with an even greater enigma of a name... Mitch Hedberg joke #2:

I wanna get a job naming kitchen appliances, that seems easy, y'know? Refrigerator, Toaster, Blender; you just say what the thing does then you add "er." 'Kitchen Appliance Naming Institute': what does this thing do? It keeps sh** fresh. Well that's a "fresher." I'm goin' on break.

So Apple could name it... *cough* "Computer?"

Okay, maye not.

-Clive

Dunepilot
May 25, 2006, 04:27 AM
How about:
Middle range consumer desktop: Mac Cube
Desktop for Biz: Mac Station

Somebody suggested this in the last nomenclature thread (this has all been thrashed-out quite a lot already).

MacStation is a much better name as a PowerMac replacement, IMO. But I don't think it'll happen. Apple has decided that it wants to take us down the line it's adopted (even though MacBookPro plainly sounds ridiculous, and has too many unnatural breaks in it). We'll get MacPro for the PowerMac. And we'll put up with it, because that's the way it works :rolleyes:

What about the XServe, however? Will it go MacServe?

mhar4
May 25, 2006, 06:02 AM

Depends how you say it.

"Apple Mac Pro" as three distinct words starts to work for me.

MacsomJRR
May 25, 2006, 06:13 AM
I really like the new naming scheme that Apple has come up with. It is super simple and gets the point across to new buyers as to which machines are which. I mean what is more simple than a pro laptop and desktop named Macbook Pro and Mac Pro and a consumer friendly line called Macbook and Mac. I love it!

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when they initially talked about renaming their computers to hear some of the different options they came up with:)

iHateGates
May 25, 2006, 06:27 AM
I also prefer ProMac to MacPro. A Mac Pro sounds like a pprofessional that uses a Mac, or a guy who can take care of Mac problems. (But of course, that's a genius.)

This is just like the old product matrix with the iMac, iBook, PowerMac, Powerbook. It's still simple and easier than other computer companies. Just like car companies who come up with a model name instead of a number.

ibjoshua
May 25, 2006, 06:28 AM

Following?

No, sorry, I'm not. Where is this 'Mac' that is present in 'iMac' that is missing in 'Power Mac'?

Maybe you should try thinking before being snide.

ibjoshua

eric_n_dfw
May 25, 2006, 06:44 AM
Like someone said earlier, I like the current G5 case and would be fine with them just updating the guts. (although shortening it a few inches would be nice - it's a bit tall for many computer desks that have a built in shelf for the tower)

I also could care less about the name - I originally posted (almost a year ago) that it would be something like, "Macintosh 3" or "Mac3" or something but that is probably not going to happen.

Lastly, I really would like to see that mid-range Mac that people have been asking for. I don't really need too much internal expansion, a pizza-box form factor with a pair of PCI-E slots mounted horizontally would be awesome! (I loved the NextStation and PowerMac 6100 form factors) Heck, even if they had to stick the laptop Core chip in it to keep fan noise down, that'd be fine with me. Just as long as I can do dual monitors and have a relatively easy way to upgrade memory & hard drive space, I'd be happy.

mhar4
May 25, 2006, 06:46 AM
Lastly, I really would like to see that mid-range Mac that people have been asking for. I don't really need too much internal expansion, a pizza-box form factor with a pair of PCI-E slots mounted horizontally would be awesome! (I loved the NextStation and PowerMac 6100 form factors) Heck, even if they had to stick the laptop Core chip in it to keep fan noise down, that'd be fine with me. Just as long as I can do dual monitors and have a relatively easy way to upgrade memory & hard drive space, I'd be happy.

I'm with you on this. Maybe even a Maxi Mac Mini with a dedicated graphics card.

MacsomJRR
May 25, 2006, 06:47 AM
Like someone said earlier, I like the current G5 case and would be fine with them just updating the guts. (although shortening it a few inches would be nice - it's a bit tall for many computer desks that have a built in shelf for the tower)

They should totally go back to the beige towers:)

ibjoshua
May 25, 2006, 07:09 AM
They should totally go back to the beige towers:)
My first computer was a beige clone.
233mhz. Those were the days. ;)
ibjoshua

maverick18x
May 25, 2006, 07:12 AM
PowerBook-> MacBook Pro
iBook -> MacBook
PowerMac -> Mac Pro
My guess: iMac -> Mac

I mean, I know they've had the "Macintosh", but never just the "Mac". Right?http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/tongue.gif

If iBook = MacBook, then doesn't iMac = MacMac? :p I highly doubt Apple will drop the i from iMac just because of name recognition. Although I could see a tower spun off from the Mac Mini called the Big Mac. Apple + MickyD's anyone?

simonthewolf
May 25, 2006, 07:13 AM
Personally, i've always prefered 'Macintosh' to the dumb-downed 'Mac'. The word 'Macintosh' is rarely seen these days, even on Apple websites :(

Now, which Apple Computer last carried the word 'Macintosh' on it's casing? Wallstreet PBG3? :confused:

aswitcher
May 25, 2006, 07:20 AM
SNIP

Yeah, thats what I am hoping for as well. Something at least as powerful as an iMac but without the screen, that can go below my LCDTV and maybe also attach to another monitor for screen spanning. Something gamers and graphcis artists would use linked to other screens, and would be a nice high end switcher machine.

A machine with smaller form factor and Pro like connectors (DualDVI, FW800).

Perferably space for at least 4 ram slots (easy to get 2 gigs cheap that way) and maybe space for 8 ram slots.

Something with room for twin HDDs would really rock.

emaja
May 25, 2006, 07:41 AM
You mean something like this ;)

http://www.ford.co.uk/ka

I honestly thought about that model, but then thought that the only ones who would pronounce "Car" as "Ka" lived in New England.

BTW, what's with Ford Europe and those dumb-ass names? They have a S-MAX coming out. Who wants to drive a car/van pronounced "smacks?"

Note to Ford - ALL CAPS IS SHOUTING! AND THAT NAME IS SHOUTING, "I'M STUPID!"

Counter
May 25, 2006, 07:52 AM

You seem to be ruling out other possibilities. There are many, given the quality Apple is shooting for.

Potential iMac names:

MacMac
DeskMac
MackyMac
MacAttack

Unorthodox
May 25, 2006, 08:35 AM
You seem to be ruling out other possibilities. There are many, given the quality Apple is shooting for.

Potential iMac names:

MacMac
DeskMac
MackyMac
MacAttack
You forgot:
Little Mac
Mac Thing
Bernie Mac
The Mac
Tootsie Mac
My Mac

poppe
May 25, 2006, 08:58 AM

Perhaps Tiger will have touch display technology. So you can add the new ACD's and do two handed touches using ur MBP or your Powermac (MacPro)!

poppe
May 25, 2006, 09:07 AM
Towermac is the most utterly cheesy thing I've heard in a long time.

And as far as all this "I want a tower between the iMac and the Mac Pro"...forget about it. Not. Going. To. Happen. You want a Headless machine that's not the Mac Mini? Buy a Mac Pro. End of story. Too expensive for you? You'll be able to buy it when you get a job after college. Or after you get out of High School and then go to College and then get a job.

1. It was a dream...
2. Ok fine... since you put it that way I'll just have to go get a windows machine that hits that mid market that we are dreaming of...

No not really because i'm getting a MBP. I was just explaining it would be nice to have something stronger than a iMac but weaker than a Mac Pro.

Lets see you can have either a workstation or a desktop with mobile processors in them. Genius, exactly what i wanted.

All we were saying it'd be nice to have like a mid range desktop. Not everyone wants there screen and desktop all in one.

p0intblank
May 25, 2006, 09:29 AM
No, sorry, I'm not. Where is this 'Mac' that is present in 'iMac' that is missing in 'Power Mac'?

Maybe you should try thinking before being snide.

ibjoshua

Are you kidding? Not to sound rude, but you obviously didn't think about my post very clearly. The name 'Mac' is already present in iMac. Also Steve Jobs even said himself that they are moving away from the 'Power' name and putting Mac in all their computers' names. Therefore, Power Mac becomes Mac Pro, just like how the PowerBook became the MacBook Pro. Notice how the name 'Mac' is in MacBook Pro? The same goes for the new MacBook. iMac and Mac mini, they are fine because the 'Mac' name is already present.

This really is rather basic...

poppe
May 25, 2006, 09:30 AM
You forgot:
Little Mac
Mac Thing
Bernie Mac
The Mac
Tootsie Mac
My Mac

iMac = My Mac
Conroe Desktop Mac with out a screen = DeskMac
PowerMac = Pro Mac

I really like the G5 Towers, but I do remember when I first layed my eyes on one... I thought it was the desk then realized no no its a computer. I love the design it looks like a bently surrounded by a tank. So maybe make it a little less huge.

The one thing that saddens me that I have been thinking about is this. There used to be the PowerMac G5 and it rocked... and now everyone wants the new Mac Pro to kick windows asses again..

This isn't possible though. What will the new Pro Mac have that a HP/Dell workstation won't have (hardware wise)?

Both will have xeons...
Graphics cards? = ATI or Nvidia both available

What do you all think that our beast of a computer will have to prove it is better than an hp/dell workstation.

I'm not talking about 10.4 or 10.5 becuase duh those easily trump having a windows but i'm talking from a switchers point of view... When I was thinking of switching I was not thinking what can Tiger do for me I was thinking ok this has a 1.67 ghz processor

CellarDoor
May 25, 2006, 09:36 AM
--Laptops
MacBook
MacBook Pro
--Desktops
Mac Pro
Mac mini

Well that would mean that perhaps we'll see a ultra light subnotebook called a "macbook mini"

I called it (unless someone else already called it. Someone prove me wrong if you can, show source.)

I think it would even out their laptop line and make use of some of intel ultra low power chips.

Also: I dont think they will never drop the 'i' from iMac.

CellarDoor
May 25, 2006, 09:41 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/tongue.gif

If iBook = MacBook, then doesn't iMac = MacMac? :p I highly doubt Apple will drop the i from iMac just because of name recognition. Although I could see a tower spun off from the Mac Mini called the Big Mac. Apple + MickyD's anyone?

urg :( no offense of course, but I've seen this post what seems like 1000 times on this forum. MacMac, BigMac, McDonalds, etc. Of course, if you just registered there's no reason for me to expect you to know that, but still.

Counter
May 25, 2006, 10:10 AM
You forgot:
Little Mac
Mac Thing
Bernie Mac
The Mac
Tootsie Mac
My Mac

The possibilities for the PowerMac seem to be more interesting:

Big Mac
Mega Mac
Mac o' Mac's
Boat Anchor Mac
Sure Mac
Whatever Mac
Like You'd Know Mac

morespce54
May 25, 2006, 10:16 AM
And no I don't see iMac being dropped anytime soon. Apple is known for the iMac (old, new, etc., the image is stuck.....like the iPod). I'd be very surprised if they did.

true... if they drop the "i" names althogether, would that make the next iPod version a "MacPod" ? :confused: :confused: :confused:

hopefully not... :eek:

p0intblank
May 25, 2006, 10:56 AM
true... if they drop the "i" names althogether, would that make the next iPod version a "MacPod" ? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I hope you're being sarcastic. Apple will NEVER drop the iPod name. Never.

Unorthodox
May 25, 2006, 11:16 AM
Also: I dont think they will never drop the 'i' from iMac.
Double negative!
Did you mean, "I don't think they will ever drop the "i" from "iMac"?

MacNut
May 25, 2006, 12:04 PM
Ok its time for this thread to go away now since I've seen the same conversation loop itself about 5 times already.:rolleyes:

absurdio
May 25, 2006, 12:30 PM

alllllllready made that observation.

absurdio
May 25, 2006, 12:31 PM
Ok its time for this thread to go away now since I've seen the same conversation loop itself about 5 times already.:rolleyes:

BUT! WHAT IF THE NEXT IMACS ARE JUST CALLED MACS?! WOULDN'T THAT BE WILD?! NOBODY HAS EVER THOUGHT OF THAT!

...six, now.

absurdio
May 25, 2006, 12:48 PM
Are you kidding? Not to sound rude, but you obviously didn't think about my post very clearly. The name 'Mac' is already present in iMac. Also Steve Jobs even said himself that they are moving away from the 'Power' name and putting Mac in all their computers' names. Therefore, Power Mac becomes Mac Pro, just like how the PowerBook became the MacBook Pro. Notice how the name 'Mac' is in MacBook Pro? The same goes for the new MacBook. iMac and Mac mini, they are fine because the 'Mac' name is already present.

Not to sound rude, but you obviously aren't thinking at all. This is a pretty trivial argument, but if you're going to argue something so trivial, you could at least do it well. ibjoshua's right; you should really reserve your condescension for when you have something to be condescending about.

Following?

Okay, p0intblank. Let's follow your argument slowly and rationally:
1) iMac stays "iMac" "because the name Mac was already there to begin with"
2) For the same reason "PowerBook" has to become "MacBook Pro" and the "iBook" has to become "MacBook"
3) For no reason at all, "Power Mac will become the Mac Pro"

...what?
Somewhere right around where you put in an elipsis, there should be an argument. But there isn't. So all you've said is "Macs that don't have 'Mac' in the name (such as PowerBooks and iBooks) need to have their names changed. Those that already have 'Mac' in the name (such as the iMac) do NOT need their names changed." And then somehow you conclude that PowerMac (which has "Mac" in its name exactly as much as "iMac" does) obviously MUST have its name changed to "Mac Pro."

Again, this is a trivial argument and sortof a dead end. Try giving thought another chance. It obviously didn't work the first time. And as far as being snide goes: you're still doing it...and with no more justification than you had originally. Stop.

andrewm
May 25, 2006, 02:06 PM
"Mac Book," "Mac Pro" and especially "Mac Book Pro" will never sound right, at least to English speakers. Why? Too many "stop consonants," too close together.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_consonant

That's the linguistic way of saying of, "It just doesn't flow." The air flowing out of your mouth actually has to stop as you pronounce it. It also explains why "Pro Mac" sounds better than "Mac Pro."

I couldn't have said it better m'self.

p0intblank
May 25, 2006, 02:13 PM
Not to sound rude, but you obviously aren't thinking at all. This is a pretty trivial argument, but if you're going to argue something so trivial, you could at least do it well. ibjoshua's right; you should really reserve your condescension for when you have something to be condescending about.

Okay, p0intblank. Let's follow your argument slowly and rationally:
1) iMac stays "iMac" "because the name Mac was already there to begin with"
2) For the same reason "PowerBook" has to become "MacBook Pro" and the "iBook" has to become "MacBook"
3) For no reason at all, "Power Mac will become the Mac Pro"

...what?
Somewhere right around where you put in an elipsis, there should be an argument. But there isn't. So all you've said is "Macs that don't have 'Mac' in the name (such as PowerBooks and iBooks) need to have their names changed. Those that already have 'Mac' in the name (such as the iMac) do NOT need their names changed." And then somehow you conclude that PowerMac (which has "Mac" in its name exactly as much as "iMac" does) obviously MUST have its name changed to "Mac Pro."

Again, this is a trivial argument and sortof a dead end. Try giving thought another chance. It obviously didn't work the first time. And as far as being snide goes: you're still doing it...and with no more justification than you had originally. Stop.

Maybe my explanation wasn't the best, but I am still standing by what I originally believed. I believe the Power Mac will become the Mac Pro because a) they are moving away from 'power', b) there seems to be a pattern with the 'pro' name developing here; after all the Mac Pro <i>is</i> meant to be used by pros, is it not? and finally c) Apple just trademarked the name Mac Pro

So please, tell me what you're not understanding from this. And I'm not trying to "snide" anyone here. These are forums; they are meant for discussion.

cherfizzle
May 25, 2006, 02:20 PM
good idea having mac in the name, DUH lol

May 25, 2006, 02:33 PM
O.K To stop all the confusion!!!:

Apple will not change the iMac name!! They already have Intels in them, and most shocking of all..... they already have Mac in the name!!!! WOW!! think of that :eek:

The only reason that Apple might change the PowerMac to Mac Pro would be so that it is distanced from the PowerPC chips! Not becuase the name Mac isn't in the front.

EAR52069
May 25, 2006, 02:54 PM
Instead of everyone complaining about the name Macbook, Macbook pro and Mac Pro why not just change how you say the name. No one is stopping you for calling it something else. Like for example Microsoft is dubbed MS. Why not just shorten Macbook/MacbookPro/MacPro to M-Book/MBP/M-Pro simple as that.:)

Clive At Five
May 25, 2006, 06:46 PM
Every time I say "Mac Book Pro," it sounds like I'm quacking.

-Clive

Doctor Q
May 25, 2006, 07:15 PM
Every time I say "Mac Book Pro," it sounds like I'm quacking.Be sure to save copies of your important files at work, so they don't fire you. After all, you wouldn't want to get the sack for lack of a Mac Book Pro backup!

Actually "Pro" is a clever word in a product title. You want it to indicate that the product is suitable for a professional without alienating those who buy other models. I think the word "prosumer" evolved partly because nobody would admit they were less than a professional.

DakotaGuy
May 25, 2006, 07:20 PM
The iMac seems all alone too... As unlikely as it is, maybe Apple will settle for iMacPro.

iMac, iPod, iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle, iLife, iWork, iTunes, iTunes Music Store, iDVD, iMovie, iPhoto, iChat, iCal...how exactly is iMac all alone?

Looks like to me it fits in well as your best choice to do all of that "i" stuff with. Heck it even looks like a giant iPod. Having a computer branded in a similar way as one of the most popular consumer electronics devices of all time can only be a good thing.

vespats
May 26, 2006, 05:31 PM
...the powermac stays the same, but there is a new mac, the mac pro, a headless iMac with the option to upgrade the GPU for example, like a late cube replacement :)

p0intblank
May 26, 2006, 05:35 PM
iMac, iPod, iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle, iLife, iWork, iTunes, iTunes Music Store, iDVD, iMovie, iPhoto, iChat, iCal...how exactly is iMac all alone?

Looks like to me it fits in well as your best choice to do all of that "i" stuff with. Heck it even looks like a giant iPod. Having a computer branded in a similar way as one of the most popular consumer electronics devices of all time can only be a good thing.

I completely agree. I look at the iMac as the family-type computer. It's perfect in any room you put it in, as well as any person you assign its use to.

Counter
May 26, 2006, 06:15 PM
I think the Mighty Mouse should be renamed to the Mac Mouse.

Apple Cinema Displays should be renamed to Mac Monitors.

And the Apple Pro Keyboards should be renamed to Mac Keyboards.

Not only am I a marketing genius, I'm also in touch with the new direction of Apple and should clearly have a senior position there.

ibjoshua
May 27, 2006, 07:53 AM

This really is rather silly.

You didn't actually write in your first reply what you now say you were thinking. You said nothing about Apple intentionally dropping 'Power'. You said they didn't change the name of the iMac "Because the name Mac was already there to begin with,". Well, as has been pointed out, the name Power Mac also has 'Mac' in it so that argument was pointless. I must at this point apologise, I did in fact know about Apple's desire to move away from using the word 'Power' in their products and at that point could have politely corrected you and guided the conversation back to something more worthwhile. However I couldn't resist the opportunity to mess with you when your ill-conceived reply to my post popped up. It's hard to resist the opportutnity to be a smart-arse, as you so obviously know. Sorry. ;)

I guess what it comes down to is that you really didn't understand my original post. Let's recap: I made some silly jokes about possible names for the iMac that would actually comply with the new naming 'scheme'. Then went on to ask if anyone else thought the whole renaming process was dumb. I never said I didn't understand the process. In fact it seems I probably understand it as well as you, if not better. The 'i' in iMac doesn't really fit into the new scheme at all, otherwise we'd all be wanting iMacbooks and iMac Pros or some such nonsense.

I hope you don't take too much offence. Just remember, when you try to talk down to people, get your arguments sorted out beforehand.

ibjoshua

MacMan93
May 28, 2006, 01:24 AM
I'm dreaming but.......
Wouldn't it be cool if they came out with a new mini that had some kind of 'dock' connector, and Apple sold a base that plugged in there that would add PCI and eSATA ect. Then consumers would either buy the iMac or the Mac Mini and Prosumors would buy the Macmini + Exp Dock.
Heck...I don't care to much for my idea but I just wanted to let that out.

I would settle for a Macmini with an ExpressCard34 and a 64mb Dedicated video. May be they will introduce a MacMini Pro......like an ultra tiny tower with 3 PCI slots, an Upgradable video card, and an expresscard slot. (I see a real potential for ExpressCard. Since it is based off of two well known standards (USB 2.0 and PCI Express) it is easier and quiker for dev to created devices for) If Apple were to add ExpressCard to the desktop line (what I can afford) I would make a few prototype EC/34 cards designed for my own purposes.....

What I want...MacMini Pro..the prosumor Macintosh tower
$800-1499
Core Duo 2.16GHZ in the highend model
Core Solo (?GHZ) in the $800
3PCI slots
ExpressCard 34 (or 54)
128MB Dedicated video card (upgradable)
Extremely small tower.....I will try to Photoshop the MacMini and make a MacMiniPro!

slackpacker
May 28, 2006, 08:24 PM
What I want is a real high end machine....

Dual or Quad Dual Cores... A real Graphics card not this 128mb crap.

You guys are shooting to low!
The lowest end consumer Laptop for kids has ironically a 2.0 Ghz Dual Core. While the Pro Laptop has the same exact thing.... utterly pathetic. The High-end G5 is end of life... while it is fast now... its end of life.

256mb (7800 Nvidia) VRAM - 1GB RAM - DUAL (DUal Core) - At least. Apple should partner with a graphics card company to make something exciting.

Oh also live with it -

Its Mac Pro,Macbook & Macbook Pro ... learn to love the names - PowerMac is no more. Stop this childish bickering & whining..it won't change a thing Apple is NOT going to change the names back to powermac or any other lame names you come up with.

ModestPenguin
May 28, 2006, 08:50 PM
Personally, I sure as hell hope they keep the PowerMac name. It just sounds so much more kick@$$ than anything else they could come up with i mean seriously.

Mac Mini (Aw that's cute, look it's soo small...what do you mean it runs windows too...sweet.)

iMac (Uh, dude, where's your computer?...What do you mean that is the computer....and it's watching me....dooood....)

PowerMac (Wow...you have a PowerMac. :eek: I don't run Os X but i suddenly wish i did just so i could have one of these...PowerMac...)

Mac Pro (So...it's a mac...that's cool)

Now the BigMac. That might be the sweetest deal ever. Just for comedic value. But I might lose all respect for apple for dealing with the devil.

Nate4747
May 28, 2006, 09:48 PM
Personally, I sure as hell hope they keep the PowerMac name. It just sounds so much more kick@$$ than anything else they could come up with i mean seriously.

I agree, PowerMac just sounds like a powerhouse. It also differentiates itself from the rest of the line. Mac Pro just MBP sans book.

Then again, who cares what they call it. It is what's packed inside that will count. I know whatever it is, it is going to be a beast. I can't wait to get one.

Multimedia
May 30, 2006, 07:03 AM
What I want is a real high end machine....

Dual or Quad Dual Cores... Me too. But it's my understanding that you cannot put 4 Woodcrests on one motherboard. So Quad Core 2 Duo, IE 8 cores, can not happen until pairs of 4 core Kentsfield or Cloverton processors :confused: (not sure which) can make 8 cores on one motherboard next Spring.Does this mean their going to make computer called "Mac"?
--Laptops
MacBook
MacBook Pro
--Desktops
Mac Pro
Mac miniI really hope they do because it kinda feels like there is a desktop missing... I know there is the iMac but... it feels to consumer oriented... I kinda want that middle ground between the G5 and the iMac.. maybe the GMac. Just kidding.

But more so something that is tower like with upgradibility and a higher processor than the iMac but not a workstation processor like the G5.I agree. There seems like room for an expandable, customizable level that is a hair more powerful than or the same as iMac with a 2-3 of PCI Express slots, choice of graphics card(s), monitor(s), dual 5.25" external bays and room inside for 2-4 SATA drives. But it's impossible to second guess Apple's gatekeepers - IE Steve Jobs and Phil Schiller. :rolleyes:

I think its safe to say all will be revealed in the San Francisco WWDC August 7 SteveNote. Meanwhile it's just a guessing game. Woodcrest Quads could be announced before then. But yeilds may be low enough to begin with that waiting until August 7th for the announcement is not too far out.

AidenShaw
May 31, 2006, 12:03 AM
Me too. But it's my understanding that you cannot put 4 Woodcrests on one motherboard. So Quad Core 2 Duo, IE 8 cores, can not happen until pairs of 4 core Kentsfield or Cloverton processors :confused: (not sure which) can make 8 cores on one motherboard next Spring.
Tulsa is the Core 2 that supports 4 or more sockets - so an octo-MacIntel is easily doable.

Apple won't though. They haven't even come up with a 2U or 3U Xserve - or even a quad core PPC970.

They aren't interested in the server business - look at how the Xserve has been neglected, and the Xserve RAID is still Ultra ATA - not SATA!

HP's 4 socket Xeon is $28K for a reasonable config (4 dual-core 3.0 GHz Xeons, 8 GiB RAM).

No way you'll see a 4 socket system from Apple anytime soon.

Shagrat
Jul 4, 2006, 01:11 PM
You will never,
never,
never hear anyone in marketing use that phrase.
Never.

Actually I would never listen to anyone in marketing in the first place!